Corona makes me feel that humanity has it all wrong

Page 2 of 7 [ 108 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 6:45 pm

If the fault is human criminal behavior finding blame and assigning punishment is matter of justice and preventing future outbreaks. It might deter others from starting viruses sans that prevent the particular criminal from creating more bio weapons. Knowledge might be gained of how the criminal did it and how the criminal got around preventative measures possibly preventing future bio attacks.

Finding "blame" for purely a natural phenomenon is a necessary step in taking preventative actions and finding a cure.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2020, 8:07 pm

Age has some advantages. I am 71 and that means I have lived for a very long time and experienced many things within this life. I am not too concerned about the coronavirus because I have lived similar experiences with the SARS and MERS coronavirus epidemic. I have seen it all play out before so in a sense I already know how it will end.

We will see more infections, people will panic, not just panic buying but bordering on the level of true terror. It is like the brawls that occur on Black Friday sales (American tradition) right after Thanksgiving when all the stores post sales and people physically fight over them. Then the number of new infections will stabilize and people will give a sigh of relief and then the infection rate will begin to fall. Then six months later, no one will even remember this pandemic, except for a few historians.

Almost every day the sun rises in east in the morning and sets in the west during the evening. I suspect this may not always be the case but within my lifetime there is a high probability it shall be so.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Mar 2020, 3:39 am

jimmy m wrote:
Age has some advantages. I am 71 and that means I have lived for a very long time and experienced many things within this life. I am not too concerned about the coronavirus because I have lived similar experiences with the SARS and MERS coronavirus epidemic. I have seen it all play out before so in a sense I already know how it will end.

We will see more infections, people will panic, not just panic buying but bordering on the level of true terror. It is like the brawls that occur on Black Friday sales (American tradition) right after Thanksgiving when all the stores post sales and people physically fight over them. Then the number of new infections will stabilize and people will give a sigh of relief and then the infection rate will begin to fall. Then six months later, no one will even remember this pandemic, except for a few historians.

Almost every day the sun rises in east in the morning and sets in the west during the evening. I suspect this may not always be the case but within my lifetime there is a high probability it shall be so.

You don’t have to be 71 to remember SARS and MERS.

Covid-19 has proved far more infectious than those, but not coincidentally it is also far less deadly.

You are absolutely right to point out that there’s nothing new or surprising about this disease and no reason to suspect it is a bioweapon. Its emergence in Wuhan make that very unlikely - surely the Chinese would release a bioweapon in Xinjang, Tibet, or abroad?

I don’t think other novel coronaviruses are good points of reference for this outbreak. This is looking more like a very bad flu year but not as bad as the Spanish flu.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 4:06 am

^ Yes, I’ve compared it with the Spanish Flu in another thread.
Read enough history to know that there will be panic, deaths and sorrow: but human civilisation will continue, and memory of all this will dwindle to an example of administrative practices & medical knowledge of the early C21st in scholarly publications and the odd half-understood reference in some of whichever novels of our time become classics of the future.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 7:09 am

We should not be comparing Covid-19 with the Spanish Flu. Totally different animals. Totally different times

Try telling that to the families who lost a loved one to it, though.

It’s just one of many viruses which, perhaps, mutates from another virus. Its severity might be caused by its “novelty.”

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 7:18 am

I don’t feel there was some nefarious plot undertaken by the Chinese government, or by some other entity.

They would have foreseen that the hassle wouldn’t have been worth it, I feel.

We have to take action first, in conjunction with investigations as to its origins.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 8:10 am

Fnord wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Why can't people celebrate life and get along with each other above all our different religions and political views?
Because we have different ideologies; possibly as many ideologies as there are people on this planet. If we all believed the exact same ideology, then we would all behave the exact same way.
Teach51 wrote:
I think the Corona virus is very humbling, we are destroying nature and nature is showing us who's really in charge. We have been given so much and all we do is destroy the planet and each other. This is a wake up call from nature to start to appreciate what we take for granted.
"Nature" is not a conscious, willful being, so it can neither show us anything nor give us a wakeup call.
Teach51 wrote:
We are so arrogant, why are we so stupid?
What do you mean by "We"? Contrary to popular belief, I am not "stupid".

We need a new human being who is able to understand and feel each other's experiences. With a greater understanding of the human brain,nano-tech, the human genome and more advanced AI and networks we can accomplish this.

With these combined technologies we can all link up together and achieve consensus on a global scale.

O.N.E. = One Nation Earth and especially with nano-tech we can do this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 11:28 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
We need a new human being who is able to understand and feel each other's experiences. With a greater understanding of the human brain, nano-tech, the human genome and more advanced AI and networks we can accomplish this.
Evidence, please?
cubedemon6073 wrote:
With these combined technologies we can all link up together and achieve consensus on a global scale.
Evidence, please?
cubedemon6073 wrote:
O.N.E. = One Nation Earth and especially with nano-tech we can do this.
Evidence, please?

Mere speculation and plots or gimmicks from Marvel Comics are not evidence.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 11:57 am

Cube, what is nano-tech?

I think that with some faith and anulling our egos a little to start with, we can build bridges and learn to respect and accept those who have opposing views and beliefs. I believe nature is an intelligence, and there is cause and effect, everything we do affects the whole of nature, it is an integral, complex system. Our disharmony, our conflicts, our greed ( not Fnord) is causing natural disasters. According to the wisdom of kabbalah this is so, and the antidote is unity, tolerance, above all differences of creed, religion or beliefs. Nooooo I can't prove it, but I believe it. :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 1:11 pm

Teach51 wrote:
... what is nano-tech? ...
Google is your friend (so is Wikipedia)...
Quote:
Nanotechnology (or "nanotech") is manipulation of matter on an atomic, molecular, and supramolecular scale. The earliest, widespread description of nanotechnology referred to the particular technological goal of precisely manipulating atoms and molecules for fabrication of macroscale products, also now referred to as molecular nanotechnology. A more generalized description of nanotechnology was subsequently established by the National Nanotechnology Initiative, which defines nanotechnology as the manipulation of matter with at least one dimension sized from 1 to 100 nanometers. This definition reflects the fact that quantum mechanical effects are important at this quantum-realm scale, and so the definition shifted from a particular technological goal to a research category inclusive of all types of research and technologies that deal with the special properties of matter which occur below the given size threshold. It is therefore common to see the plural form "nanotechnologies" as well as "nanoscale technologies" to refer to the broad range of research and applications whose common trait is size.

Nanotechnology as defined by size is naturally very broad, including fields of science as diverse as surface science, organic chemistry, molecular biology, semiconductor physics, energy storage, microfabrication, molecular engineering, etc. The associated research and applications are equally diverse, ranging from extensions of conventional device physics to completely new approaches based upon molecular self-assembly, from developing new materials with dimensions on the nanoscale to direct control of matter on the atomic scale.

Scientists currently debate the future implications of nanotechnology. Nanotechnology may be able to create many new materials and devices with a vast range of applications, such as in nanomedicine, nanoelectronics, biomaterials energy production, and consumer products. On the other hand, nanotechnology raises many of the same issues as any new technology, including concerns about the toxicity and environmental impact of nanomaterials, and their potential effects on global economics, as well as speculation about various doomsday scenarios. These concerns have led to a debate among advocacy groups and governments on whether special regulation of nanotechnology is warranted.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 1:31 pm

Have I understood correctly that it is all about mutation? Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

You may read and understand google and Wikipedia scientific stuff but I haven't a clue. I need a simple explanation.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:01 pm

^ basically it’s doing stuff with things so small they’re invisible without a microscope.
(That’s not 100% accurate, but it’s the gist)
Quantum weirdness occurs at this level: which is probably why there are no commercially available nanotech devices for the domestic consumer.

It crops up in sci-fi now and then: often as a ”sciency” alternative to magic in fantasy.

If/when anything does come if it it’ll probably be used to solve some problems, whilst creating others at the same time.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:10 pm

Nanotech devices are machines that can only be seen under a microscope. Theoretically, they would be about the size of a blood cell, and would perform simple functions like chopping up cancer cells or releasing medicines at specific sites. Science-Fiction and Fantasy stories go so far as to say that nanotech can be used to reduce organic matter to a "gray goo" that could then be used to construct an entirely new creature. In Star Trek, for example, the Borg used "nanites" to take over and reconstruct humanoid species into mindless drones whose only purpose was to assimilate even more humanoid species into the Borg collective. Resistance was futile.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm

Thank you. Don't like the sound of it at all. Cube seems to think it's a good thing. I know it's not the same, but I remember the day they cloned "Dolly" the sheep and I said to myself "oh oh, that's not a good thing."

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:15 pm

Random and off-topic, but the law of internet memes demand it:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:15 pm

Fnord wrote:
Nanotech devices are machines that can only be seen under a microscope. Theoretically, they would be about the size of a blood cell, and would perform simple functions like chopping up cancer cells or releasing medicines at specific sites. Science-Fiction and Fantasy stories go so far as to say that nanotech can be used to reduce organic matter to a "gray goo" that could then be used to construct an entirely new creature. In Star Trek, for example, the Borg used "nanites" to take over and reconstruct humanoid species into mindless drones whose only purpose was to assimilate even more humanoid species into the Borg collective. Resistance was futile.

I'm a "mindless drone" to begin with :)