Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


How do you define "too much" skepticism?
When someone denies the facts in favor of a conspiracy theory. 22%  22%  [ 9 ]
When someone points out the lack of certainty in your claims. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
When someone refuses to consider to any claim or opinion you express. 20%  20%  [ 8 ]
When someone refuses to follow your philosophy, politics, or religion. 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
When someone requests valid empirical evidence to support your claims. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
When someone responds to your every claim with "What if..." or "Yeah, but...". 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
When someone says you are wrong without explaining why. 17%  17%  [ 7 ]
When someone uses factual data to falsify your claims. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
When someone else's opinions are in conflict with your own. 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Other: ________________ (Please explain). 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 41

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,343

13 Mar 2020, 10:04 am

Fnord wrote:
I think we need a more obvious way to distinguish between the two -- something other than a pair of homonyms.[/color]


LOL yeah, I think I'll just avoid the term all together from now on :lol:

But I was completely unaware of the negative connotations, I wonder how that works in a face-to-face conversation when people can't see the spelling.


_________________
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." Aldous Huxley


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,202
Location: Poland

13 Mar 2020, 10:15 am

Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 1 Jun 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,440

13 Mar 2020, 10:17 am

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
@magz You mean you believe that there’s a landmass called Europe attached to the western end of Asia?! They have clearly got to you!
I'm not denying it, I'm just asking for evidence!
Here ... let me adjust the noise level on your brain chip ... there ... better?

Image


Remind me not to install those tubes next time I have to fix the radio!


_________________
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 134 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,569
Location: Queens, NYC

13 Mar 2020, 10:19 am

The primary "boundary," in the north, between Asia and Europe is the Ural Mountains. The distinction between Europe and Asia has something to do with where rivers flow, I believe.

Rather like the "Continental Divide" in North America, rivers generally tend to flow westward primarily from the western part of the Ural mountain range; whereas east of the Urals, the rivers flow generally east.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,139

13 Mar 2020, 10:36 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxHnRfhDmrk

'This' is a Fascinating Discussion; on 'Skepticism'; butt considering that at core every Word is Metaphor;
Definitions and Descriptions vary depending on Model and Make of Human Being; in other Words, as in most
stuff life; Nature and Nurture makes all experiences in life Relative at least in Some 'Sense'; and Moreover 'Feel'.

In Other Words; Ration Versus Intuition; Sciences Versus Arts; in Skepticism;
As Healthy Skepticism involves a Detail and Big Picture View of Life, Exercised and Improved across the Lifespan.

People also have their 'Sacred Cows'; The Op Author Here doesn't believe in Pre-Cognition and will Cite Science to that Effect; But on the Other hand, The Op Author has stated the Op Believes in God; but will offer no Scientific Explanation to that Effect;

Again; People have their Sacred Cows; that contradict their exercise of Science as 'the God of All Explanations' when
it comes to 'Healthy Skepticism'; But, Of course, if we rely on Science for all our Skeptical Assessments of what is
True or False in Life; we only get part of the Picture, of course, be-cause Humans are only capable of Observing
Part of Nature; with or without the Tools of Science that lend Credibility to Measuring Observable Parts of
Nature.

In other Words, Science is a Great Tool for Healthy Skepticism; but on the other hand if that's all one relies on to
Assess what is True or False in Life; without Using a More 'Right Brained' Metaphor Approach of Life in Intuition
And Holistic Big Picture Thinking; they very likely may miss out on at least Half of their Human Potential.

Let's Face it; Healthy Skepticism is Both Science and Art.

As in all Stuff Life; a Healthy Approach Makes Balance.

And there is another Element; and that is Depth; Depth of Analysis using both Science and Art.

For Some Folks their 'Scientific Authority' comes Solely from 'the Science Source' Fox News; That is obviously
A Money Making venture into taking advantage of the Ignorance of the Masses who do not do use Critical Thinking
on their own.

Fox News Becomes their Sacred Cow; Not Really any different than the Caste System in India; and the Christian
Idea that God Will Be As Small as Only one Man in a story; and what you really have to look forward Most to in Life
is a 'Dirt Nap'; and the reward after death; or the punishment too; THAT's not Rational and that Makes No 'Common
Sense'; Yet, someone who doesn't believe in Pre-Cognition will not listen to a bit of conclusive Scientific Evidence
that Proves it incorrect by any Ration or Common Sense; no Different than Fox News; Their Sacred Cow Told them
So; so it must be 'Gospel' Truth.

On the Other Hand, i have irrefutable Evidence that My Pantheistic God Exists; Nature; 'God' is everywhere what We Observe and have No ability to Observe; but Smaller Picture Views will only Believe in Smaller Gods; 'My God one Flesh and Blood Man' for the Entire Existence of what is; It doesn't take a Rocket Scientist to see that Fallacy; Just a Bigger Picture View than a Book.

People Get Very Silent in Defending their Sacred Cows with Science; Because Science Will not work.

It's True; one will use a Metaphor of a Man for the Essence of Love in Humanity and See Great Success in Life;
As Love is what keeps Humanity Ticking in Success as whole throughout the Ages of the Species; so yes,
No Matter How Small This God is; if the Metaphor Becomes Love; it is empirically useful in Life too.

Again; there is always more than one view; More than one explanation; and More than one way to the
path(S) of Success; Healthy Skepticism is willing to take a view as Devil's Advocate to see and do more Potential in Life.

Meanwhile; checking the Anthropological Resource of the News Feed in Facebook; it is bombarded by 'Experts' who
Cite How many Deaths the 'Common Flu' Creates in a year; not taking into account the fact that the Health System
is Limited in capacity in How Many Lives will be Saved when a Virus that is 10 times more Deadly is spread with no Symptoms in what is assessed now in the future as potentially up to 40 to 70 Percent of the Population; Those People Don't Understand that Culling the 'Senior' Population in choosing who gets to be treated or not; is not Palatable to all Folks.

And on the other Hand; Some folks Just Can't do Math; yet most everyone does have their Sacred Cows; as once
Again empirically Speaking Love is Always Beneficial as Long as it is True/Real; no matter What the Metaphor may be.

40 Percent of 300 Million is 120 Million; 1 Percent of 120 Million is 120,000; Last Year 18,000 People died of the
Common Flu; if i try to help someone with the Math; chances are they will De-friend me; and i will no longer be
able to use/love them as a Research Subject in my Anthropological Study as Participant Observer Anthropology;
by the way, thank you for 'your' assistance, too..;)

i don't know much of 'it all'; but i have an Open Mind/Body as a Devil's Advocate; and Will Increase my Human Potential
Continually across my Lifespan; What's the Benefit; i use Moving Meditation and Free Writing Meditation as What
Even Science Assesses as a Real Fountain of Youth; Not only in Extending Youth; but Regenerating Youth
As Well; Not everyone does this; but i have the Empirical Data that provides evidence that Two Lovely
Young Women Close to 21-Years-Old Offered Close to Senior Citizen me less than 3 Months
Away from 60 Years-Old; Still Happily Married for 30 Years after Reporting my
Anthropological Case-Study Evidence back to my Wife that Yes; Both Women at the Dance Hall Last Night
Offered up their Buttocks to me For a 'Booty Dance'; And said May We Have Your Phone Number; i responded;
i don't want Gross You out; but how Old do you think i am; they responded 35; i corrected them with Turning
60 in less than 3 Months; Perhaps, the Best Evidence is a "Frederick's Of Holly Wood" 'Star' Covering my Private Parts in
Athletic Pose on Facebook that most anyone in Public Purview will not assess as more than a 30 Something Year-Old
Dude in 'Aesthetic Shape'. Butt See, i carry evidence with me everywhere i go; for the people who still do not believe
that Dancing Moving Meditation Free and Writing doing the Same is indeed a Real Fountain of Youth; Jack LaLanne
Already Proved a little Five Foot Six Dude in his Sixties Will Tow 70 Boats Across the Bay Swimming; He just
Religiously Exercised ACross the Entire Span of Life; imagine what he could have done with a Meditative Dance;
i don't have to.

Hell; My Indoor/Outdoor Cat was Robust and Vigorous at 16 Years-Old as a Senior Citizen Cat;
The Domesticated one with everything spoon Fed to him; Died of Diabetes at 10; Go figure; Humans are no different.

But Again; Imagine what the Cat would have Done if he "Danced in Meditative Flow"; FAct is he did; and looked no older
at 16 than 3 Years-Old; both in Appearance and Vitality of Activity in Life; Common Sense; look to the 'God of the
Rest of Nature'; and get informed without any Human CulTuraL Clothes at all; Don't Just wait on Science to Catch up;
it is Very Slow and Methodical; not Fast as Light and Whole.

Oh Yeah; Meanwhile most everyone i know is looking forward to a Dirt Nap and Heaven After That;

Go figure; i don't have to wait; and for some strange 'reason' even though 'their book' says the Kingdom of Heaven
is at Hand Within In this Generation; they still don't believe it; and even though their God Jesus tells them in
John Verse 14:12 that if they really believe his teachings they will do Greater Works than him; Just look and
See What Happened to John Lennon; when he was Just Honest and announced to the World that he and
His group the Beatles 'Just Did it'....

i'm way too clever than to Just be 'Jesus'.... and i Damned Sure ain't gonna Sit on my Thumb Waiting
for a Dirt Nap to See Heaven; when the real Inheritance is already free now; There's even Science Terms
Like Divine 'Frission' And Autotelic Flow for the Kingdom of Heaven Within; Jesus F in Christ; All the REAL Myths
And Evidence Have come True; plus the Fountain of Youth In Heaven now; but what Do they 'think' Is 'Jesus'
Just a Liar? Like Trump? (Fox News Rhetorical Question of Course)

butt still 'they' turn away...

And do not listen....

Perhaps a Vincent Van Gogh Song will do here as TheMe Song too....

'i truly Pity 'Them'; 'i forgive them for they know not what they do'.... 'i don't know much but i'm still Learning'....


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,979
Location: Rural England

13 Mar 2020, 10:52 am

magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Sort of:
American Chips = British Crisps
American Fries = British Chips

The English language, not content with having the largest number of words of any known human language by 20,000 over her nearest rival, decided that more confusion was needed: and so spread her wings to alight upon new continents and cultures and thus generate an endless kaleidoscope of alternative meanings and spellings.
:D



naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,599
Location: temperate zone

13 Mar 2020, 11:33 am

magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Gently sautéed!



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,202
Location: Poland

13 Mar 2020, 11:34 am

Karamazov wrote:
magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Sort of:
American Chips = British Crisps
American Fries = British Chips

The English language, not content with having the largest number of words of any known human language by 20,000 over her nearest rival, decided that more confusion was needed: and so spread her wings to alight upon new continents and cultures and thus generate an endless kaleidoscope of alternative meanings and spellings.
:D

And I'm sure brain chips/crisps would be much more tasty than brain chips/fries.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,979
Location: Rural England

13 Mar 2020, 11:56 am

magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Sort of:
American Chips = British Crisps
American Fries = British Chips

The English language, not content with having the largest number of words of any known human language by 20,000 over her nearest rival, decided that more confusion was needed: and so spread her wings to alight upon new continents and cultures and thus generate an endless kaleidoscope of alternative meanings and spellings.
:D

And I'm sure brain chips/crisps would be much more tasty than brain chips/fries.


And store longer without a freezer! :idea:



Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,979
Location: Rural England

13 Mar 2020, 11:58 am

naturalplastic wrote:
magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Gently sautéed!



So drugs make your brain tasty and safe to eat? 8)



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,596
Location: Stendec

13 Mar 2020, 12:01 pm

I was gonna post the "Hannibal Lechter Brain Scene", but it is too graphic for WrongPlanet.

You'll have to google it yourselves.


:eew:


_________________
 
Since there is no singular, absolute definition of human nature,
nor any ultimate evaluation of human nature beyond that which we project onto others,
individuals should be judged or defined only by their actions and choices,
and not by what we only imagine their intentions and motivations to be.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,599
Location: temperate zone

13 Mar 2020, 12:02 pm

Karamazov wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
magz wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Mmmm... Brain Chips... nom nom nom

I thought in UK they call them brain crisps :chef:


Gently sautéed!



So drugs make your brain tasty and safe to eat? 8)


According the "Alliance for a Drug Free America" apparently so!

So if youre a zombie, go after druggies!



Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,979
Location: Rural England

13 Mar 2020, 12:39 pm

^ I just thought, could this mean that LSD is the cure for BSE?



Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Mar 2012
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,979
Location: Rural England

13 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
I was gonna post the "Hannibal Lechter Brain Scene", but it is too graphic for WrongPlanet.

You'll have to google it yourselves.


:eew:


I remember that film!

:eew: indeed!



magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,202
Location: Poland

13 Mar 2020, 12:54 pm

Karamazov wrote:
^ I just thought, could this mean that LSD is the cure for BSE?

I'm skeptical about it.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.
***** ***


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 65
Gender: Male
Posts: 24,599
Location: temperate zone

13 Mar 2020, 1:30 pm

BSE, better known as "Mad Cow Disease".

There was a remote tribe in New Guinea who would get something called "Kure", or "Laughing Sickness", that was "100 percent fatal". It turned out to be a brain disease caused by prions. They were a cannibal tribe. And were not shy about eating human brains. So it was essentially a human version of what decades later they would "mad cow disease".

Always thought it would have been cool if Hannibal Lector had eluded the cops but, then, gotten his comeuppance, by ..coming down with mad cow disease!