Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2020, 6:13 am

It’s a bad few weeks for Donald Trump. Although isn’t it always?

In the middle of national and international criticism from all sides for his string of failures over the COVID-19 crisis, Trump has fired several Inspectors General who are responsible for ensuring the government is acting legally, minimising waste and fraud and criminal behaviour, and implementing government policies. This is a strictly non-partisan role. Often the same IG will have issued harsh judgements against the last three administrations.

The following Inspectors General have been fired by Trump in recent weeks:

- Michael Atkinson, Inspector General of the Intelligence Community, who informed Congress of the whistleblower who witnessed the Trump Ukraine scandal.

- Glenn Fine, Inspector General of the Defence Department (previously Justice).

- Christi Grimm, Principal Deputy IG and Acting IG at Health and Human Services who had criticised PPE shortages.

- Steve Linick, IG at the state department, who co-operated with the impeachment enquiry, produced a report into the Trump administration retaliating against officials on political and ethnic grounds rather than on merit, and was producing another report into Mike Pompeo.

A President can only remove an Inspector General in very limited circumstances. Many politicians from both parties have claimed that the firings of Atkinson, Fine, and particularly Linick do not meet this test (Grimm is easiest to justify as she was only ever temporary).

This is, by my count, Trump’s fifth major scandal as President, after Stormy Daniels’ hush money, collusion with Russia, obstruction of justice, and of course the Ukraine scandal which led to his impeachment. This does not count blunders, stupid things he has said or done as President, or scandals that pre-date his presidency but have not materially affected it such as the seventeen rape accusations or the Central Park Five.

This is probably unlikely to have a big impact upon Trump’s popularity as most Americans have a fixed view of him and it’s a relatively boring scandal compared to the big four, but it’s a timely reminder that Trump isn’t just an incompetent idiot, but an actively power-mad far-right authoritarian who fits in well with the global neo-fascist movement.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 7:07 am

Should be a slam dunk for Democrats,

yet, they nominate an elderly man who gets confused when speaking.

Be the hero of your life.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 4:52 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

Heh! It's almost as if they set out to nominate someone worse than Hillary -- and they succeeded! I find this s**t hilarious! The best part is the hypocrisy of the left has been totally exposed over the sexual assault allegation.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 5:10 pm

What does Trump have to do with the Central Park 5?

There were allegations that he raped a 13-year-old girl.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 3:54 am

VegetableMan wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Heh! It's almost as if they set out to nominate someone worse than Hillary -- and they succeeded! I find this s**t hilarious! The best part is the hypocrisy of the left has been totally exposed over the sexual assault allegation.

I don’t. Problem is this is not a reality TV show but reality. I and more importantly my niece and nephews are going to have to live with the consequences.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 10:25 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

I don’t. Problem is this is not a reality TV show but reality. I and more importantly my niece and nephews are going to have to live with the consequences.

Humor is what keeps me sane. I have family, too. Are you really suggesting that I'm an unfeeling person?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 10:46 am

I can't say I am surprised about Christi Grimm.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:00 pm

Biden May Still Live in the 1950's with everything 'Man' that comes with that;
But He Does NOT Have Dementia; Fumbling Words Occasionally Does not make That.
He's a Political Stiff; But He's Not "A Devil Incarnate" Or as close as that Humanly Trump Gets.
Trump Is A Lowest Tide of Leader In Human Character this Country has Ever Seen Lower Than Black Abyss.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:26 pm

aghogday wrote:

He's a Political Stiff; But He's Not "A Devil Incarnate" Or as close as that Humanly Trump Gets.
Trump Is A Lowest Tide of Leader In Human Character this Country has Ever Seen Lower Than Black Abyss.

That was nauseating to watch. I used to like Colbert. But now that hes on network late night television, he's nothing but a shill for the Dems. The way the left is treating Biden with kid gloves over the sexual allegation...well, you can't suddenly do a 180 and expect not to look colossal hypocrites.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:41 pm

Biden has a weird life long condition in which he falsely remembers himself a civil rights hero.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:49 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Biden has a weird life long condition in which he falsely remembers himself a civil rights hero.

Civil rights hero in what sense of the term civil rights?

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 2:14 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Biden: 'If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black'

Likely, Biden says this, because in his mind, he is a black civil rights hero.

Biden has a long history of making false/exaggerated black civil rights activism claims.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 2:37 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Biden: 'If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black'

Likely, Biden says this, because in his mind, he is a black civil rights hero.

Biden has a long history of making false/exaggerated black civil rights activism claims.

I had to ask because I didn't know which group(s) he claimed. Something like disabled or elderly might make more sense, but with all the joking around about Elizabeth Warren, I had to ask.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 5:53 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Humor is what keeps me sane. I have family, too. Are you really suggesting that I'm an unfeeling person?

Not unfeeling. Just feelings I have difficulty understanding.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 9:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Not unfeeling. Just feelings I have difficulty understanding.

I grew with a family that had a pretty gallows sense of humor, so maybe that might have tarnished me. To me, gravitating to the dark side and crossing the line, if it's well crafted, excites me. Sometimes crossing the line can be the most exhilarating experience.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 10:11 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
aghogday wrote:

That was nauseating to watch. I used to like Colbert. But now that hes on network late night television, he's nothing but a shill for the Dems. The way the left is treating Biden with kid gloves over the sexual allegation...well, you can't suddenly do a 180 and expect not to look colossal hypocrites.

I'm not Very impressed with Him either.
But the Point is HE DOESN'T HAVE DEMENTIA.
Been Hearing that 'Faux News' Here a bunch'; and On the Same Fox News too.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick