Being provided a living If one can’t work

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,927

19 Apr 2020, 7:15 am

While it's true that people aren't born with equal chances, starting with things like gender in countries where one sex is treated better than the other, or birth defects that we didn't choose, everyone still has to take responsibility of their lives. Yes, if things go badly for someone, it doesn't automatically mean it's because they didn't handle things properly, there are other things to consider as well. However, people can (and in my opinion should) aim to make the best of what chances they have. Too many people don't even try to make an effort, using things like being born with a disability or to a family without connections as an excuse to not work hard. Yes, if you're born healthy and to a family with connections, then your chances of succes tend to be far higher than those of someone who wasn't born healthy and to a family with connections, but that doesn't mean that either has any more right to be lazy than the other. My point is that, regardless of circumstances, if one doesn't do their best then they've got no right to complain.

The real problem is how to tell who did their best and failed and who failed just because they were lazy.



aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,779

19 Apr 2020, 9:12 am



"Being Provided A Living If One Can't Work"
When It comes to an 'Older More Antiquated Bible';
The Answer Is it Depends on which 'Ghost Author' With
A Pen Name You Ask; Let's See What the Gospel According
to Mark 6: 1-12 Has to Say About Living a Life as A Student of Christ:

"1 Jesus left that place and went to his hometown. His disciples followed him. 2 When the day of worship came, he began to teach in the synagogue. He amazed many who heard him. They asked, "Where did this man get these ideas? Who gave him this kind of wisdom and the ability to do such great miracles? 3 Isn't this the carpenter, the son of Mary, and the brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon? Aren't his sisters here with us?" So they took offense at him. 4 But Jesus told them, "The only place a prophet isn't honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house." 5 He couldn't work any miracles there except to lay his hands on a few sick people and cure them. 6 Their unbelief amazed him. Then Jesus went around to the villages and taught. 7 He called the twelve apostles, sent them out two by two, and gave them authority over evil spirits. 8 He instructed them to take nothing along on the trip except a walking stick. They were not to take any food, a traveling bag, or money in their pockets. 9 They could wear sandals but could not take along a change of clothes. 10 He told them, "Whenever you go into a home, stay there until you're ready to leave that place. 11 Wherever people don't welcome you or listen to you, leave and shake the dust from your feet as a warning to them." 12 So the apostles went and told people that they should turn to God and change the way they think and act."

Or Lord That's a Lot to Read in a Twitter World;
Let's Shorten it up a bit by limited it to Mark Chapter 6; Verses 8 Through 11.

"8 He instructed them to take nothing along on the trip except a walking stick. They were not to take any food, a traveling bag, or money in their pockets. 9 They could wear sandals but could not take along a change of clothes. 10 He told them, "Whenever you go into a home, stay there until you're ready to leave that place. 11 Wherever people don't welcome you or listen to you, leave and shake the dust from your feet as a warning to them."

If That's too Long Look No Further than Mark, Chapter 6, Verse 8 to See that Jesus Told His Students They Were
Entitled to Others Opening the Doors of Subsistence For them Just For Being Teachers of the Law of Love to Heal.

And if that Doesn't Work; Just Shake off that Dirt of Unwelcome From Your Sandals; Hold Up a Cardboard
Sign And Say i work for Love so Please Feed me as the Only Reward i Provide to You is the Same Healing Love.

Smiles, Richard Dawkins Famous Ignorant so-called 'Atheist' Not Understanding the Value of Just one Human Smile;
The Worth of that Healing Love that Science Proves Works now too; once suggested to a Woman considering
Abortion that a Down's Child is only a Drag on Society; not worthy of Living; What Dawkins Missed
is that only Down's Child Adult Brave Enough to Turn Around in Conservative Catholic Church and
Smile and Shake the Hand of someone who Brings Smiles to People around the Metro
Area with 13,077 Miles of Public Dance In Close to 80 Months; There are some
Folks Who Dance Free And Bring Smiles; And there are others who never
Even Play Enough to Light their Soul up to Heal others or even Just 'Their Soul'.

Just one Down's Smile
Is Worth a Thousand
Richard Dawkins Frowns/Sneers
of So-called 'Intellect of the Protestant Work Ethic'.

It wouldn't be so Hard to Give and Share Free, If We
Didn't Spend All Our Cultural Life Eating the Face of
Nature (God) Beyond Frigging Common Sense to even understand this is our only Home.

Emptying Your Pockets is one way to Save Home; And Share More Than Take that Home away from Home....

Smiles; i have the Potential to Kill a Lot of Trees; but i Don't wanna Etch A Sketch my Soul on Dead Trees.

i Don't Have to; Fortunately This Country Still Pays 'Fools' to Play and Love; At Least This Country has that much
sense
left...
For Folks
Who Empty
Their 'Pockets' for Love.

Hoard And Greed Has nothing to Do With God Is Love that Gives and Shares Free.

Some folks are cut-out to Earn; others are cut-up to Play. Smiles; i Choose to play; i just do it For Free.

i'm Financially Independent from the God of Money. The Empty Pocket God is Truly Freer than those who Pay to Live.

We Don't Donate Much to 'Official Charities'; but the actual Dollar Amount i've Spent in Giving Away Free Smiles has literally Been Over Half-A-Million Dollars in Free Labor, Equipment, And Supplies. The Government Is Still Nice enough
to Afford that in Retirement Pay; There are limitless Ways to Pay Others Just for Free; for them at least Who are Loving Free; Who Truly Enjoy Emptying Their Pockets to do 'JUST THAT'.

In Short; Next Instance a So-Called 'Christian'
Tells You To Pull 'Your Boot Straps Up';
Just Tell them You Have Empty
Pockets and Only One Pair of Sandals (Jesus);
Sure, Quote them Mark Chapter 6; Specifically
Verse 8; and while You are at it Encourage them
to Do John 14:12 'Greater Works than Jesus'; as Yesterday 4.18.2020 in Clear Vision of Truth in my
Light at Least; i Celebrated an 80th Month Anniversary of Writing an 8 MiLLioN Word Longest Epic
Long Form Bible Poem that i also give to the World With Empty Pockets for all the Labor,
Equipment, and Supplies it took to do that without Killing Any Trees along the way
in the E-World Now; the Coolest Thing about Uploading Your Soul these days is; IF
You are LoVE iNCaRNaTE You can actually potentially Love A Thousand Years in Spirit
of Words And Other Art after you Pass away from this Loving Home of Heaven EartH;
the place
Where
Love lives;
Where Love Breathes now.

As one might imagine i have
Fun Playing With Christians
When they meet and Greet
me on the Dance Floors of the
Places they Buy 'Walmart Gehenna
Garbage' to fill up their Two Car Garages and other Hoarding places....
Their Messiah Obviously Is Trump; Their New Messiah the one they do
Their best still to Turn Jesus into by cherry picking what Ghost Authors have to say.

'Jesus' is not
A 50,000 Dollar Four Wheel Drive
Sitting In Front of a Trailer in Trump Town USA
Where that New 'Fifth Avenue Messiah' gets 85 Percent
of the 'DEvil's Due' in Voting ways of Election to 'Highest Office' of Poorest Souls.

Have a nice Sun Day.

Dance, Sing, At Least Smile;
Light A Lamp of Love Today;
And if You Can't Do That Be
That Lamp (GOD/LOVE/ALL) NoW FREE

As a Side Note; Yes, That's Me Singing the
Song in Catholic Church in Visuals of BLacK.

Neither Immigrants or the Teachings of Jesus Are
Welcome In the United States that is as Clear as Love;
Love That is Fearless Free and Doing the Least Harm to the
Rest of Nature; Giving Sharing More than Taking More Hoarding Harm; Cherishing
the Face of God That Is this Home Earth That We all are too; No Separation Bottom Line.
But It's True More Often What i find is 'Atheists' Welcome The Actual Teachings of Jesus more than 'Christians'
Where i Live
There are
no
Labels
Like that Within.

When the Catholic 'Christians' Found Out the Jesuit Priest Who Wrote this Song "Here i am' is Now
Openly Gay; They Wanted to Take this Song Away; They Already Did that With the Teachings of Jesus still now.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 38
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,942
Location: The Oort Cloud

19 Apr 2020, 1:25 pm

First, unlike so many other Americans, I do not believe that working is the purpose of existence, nor do I believe that the type of work I do determines my value as an individual. With that said, I believe a person's life is valuable even if they cannot work, and that thinking someone should be left to die because they cannot work is immoral.

Secondly, if you are a human and you are currently alive, you have benefited greatly from the work of those around you. "Rugged individualism" is nonsense. You eat food grown by others, you live in a building built by others, you use inventions invented by others everyday. Humans are highly social primates and cooperation is the order of the day. Even chimps know this, and if your intellectual capacity is less than that of a chimp, perhaps you should refrain from commenting on socio-political issues.


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)


Menander
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 19 Apr 2020
Gender: Male
Posts: 11

19 Apr 2020, 3:55 pm

The trouble with humans is we have lost contact with our food supply. Rabbits can forage. Fish nibble. Tigers ponce. Humans must purchase. Because we no longer can seem to plant our own seeds and raise our livestock, we are dependent. No other species (maybe cows) seems to dependent as humans. What to do with broken humans? If they are not cared for, they will die.



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783

20 Apr 2020, 6:01 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
While it's true that people aren't born with equal chances, starting with things like gender in countries where one sex is treated better than the other, or birth defects that we didn't choose, everyone still has to take responsibility of their lives. Yes, if things go badly for someone, it doesn't automatically mean it's because they didn't handle things properly, there are other things to consider as well. However, people can (and in my opinion should) aim to make the best of what chances they have. Too many people don't even try to make an effort, using things like being born with a disability or to a family without connections as an excuse to not work hard. Yes, if you're born healthy and to a family with connections, then your chances of succes tend to be far higher than those of someone who wasn't born healthy and to a family with connections, but that doesn't mean that either has any more right to be lazy than the other. My point is that, regardless of circumstances, if one doesn't do their best then they've got no right to complain.

The real problem is how to tell who did their best and failed and who failed just because they were lazy.


Fireblossom

a. You said "Yes, if things go badly for someone, it doesn't automatically mean it's because they didn't handle things properly, there are other things to consider as well." But that's not how others especially conservative types see it.

b. You said "While it's true that people aren't born with equal chances, starting with things like gender in countries where one sex is treated better than the other, or birth defects that we didn't choose, everyone still has to take responsibility of their lives. " That's not true! For those who are considered Intellectually disabled they're provided all kinds of care and support especially in the USA.

c. And, maybe the person believed they made all kinds of effort and did their best yet others around them don't. Their "best" as you call it and "effort" is subjective.

d. Another thing, what if the person don't know what efforts to make?

e. And, what if the person when entering the workplace doesn't have the personality they want? He would have to fake it right and then be a liar? Deceive and get a job >>> You're deceptive. Don't deceive and go on welfare/disability b/c your personality doesn't align with what they want >>> You're considered lazy, a bum and a welfare queen. Heads you lose! Tails You lose!



Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,927

21 Apr 2020, 8:37 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Fireblossom

a. You said "Yes, if things go badly for someone, it doesn't automatically mean it's because they didn't handle things properly, there are other things to consider as well." But that's not how others especially conservative types see it.

b. You said "While it's true that people aren't born with equal chances, starting with things like gender in countries where one sex is treated better than the other, or birth defects that we didn't choose, everyone still has to take responsibility of their lives. " That's not true! For those who are considered Intellectually disabled they're provided all kinds of care and support especially in the USA.

c. And, maybe the person believed they made all kinds of effort and did their best yet others around them don't. Their "best" as you call it and "effort" is subjective.

d. Another thing, what if the person don't know what efforts to make?

e. And, what if the person when entering the workplace doesn't have the personality they want? He would have to fake it right and then be a liar? Deceive and get a job >>> You're deceptive. Don't deceive and go on welfare/disability b/c your personality doesn't align with what they want >>> You're considered lazy, a bum and a welfare queen. Heads you lose! Tails You lose!


a. Yes, I know not everyone sees it that way. That's a bit of a problem.

b. My knowledge of USA's system is mostly limited to what people here have told, but where I'm from, disabled people are expected (by law) to do what's in their power as well, which is what I'd consider the right way to do things. Of course, in practice things don't work so well and there are those who "slip through the system", some taking advantage of it and some suffering because of it. Not every disabled person who should get it (based on their health) manages to get disability retirement and some people manage to get it even though they'd be able to work part time.

c. True. That's why it's a faulty measurement as there's no way to prove if someone's really doing their best or not, but if there was a way to prove it then that'd be ideal.

d. Then they ask, be it from professionals or someone else.

e. One should just be themselves, or rather, the best version of themselves. One can control their words and actions without downright lying. If one doesn't get hired while being themselves, then they don't. Next place!



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783

27 Apr 2020, 11:29 pm

Quote:
a. Yes, I know not everyone sees it that way. That's a bit of a problem.


It is, isn't it?

Quote:
b. My knowledge of USA's system is mostly limited to what people here have told, but where I'm from, disabled people are expected (by law) to do what's in their power as well, which is what I'd consider the right way to do things. Of course, in practice things don't work so well and there are those who "slip through the system", some taking advantage of it and some suffering because of it. Not every disabled person who should get it (based on their health) manages to get disability retirement and some people manage to get it even though they'd be able to work part time.


I have no idea where you are from so I don't know.

Quote:
c. True. That's why it's a faulty measurement as there's no way to prove if someone's really doing their best or not, but if there was a way to prove it then that'd be ideal.


Yuppers!

Quote:
d. Then they ask, be it from professionals or someone else.


Professionals: If we're talking about psychologists, psychiatrists, etc I've been seeing them since they I was four. Didn't work for me!

Someone else: And, what if they won't answer my questions?

Quote:
e. One should just be themselves, or rather, the best version of themselves. One can control their words and actions without downright lying. If one doesn't get hired while being themselves, then they don't. Next place!


I wrote this a long, long time ago.

American Employment

Criteria Employers Consider When Hiring

There are different things about a person that an employer considers before hiring someone like but not limited to work ethic, appearance, personality, social skills, technical skills, and experience but these will be the primary ideas focused upon.   I am going to define what these ideas mean and based upon my own understanding of them why I truthfully can’t succeed in the USA whether I had Autism or whether I did not have Autism.   Even if I did not have Autism overall, the modern workplace would be hostile to my own inclinations.

More than likely I would not be able to fit the mold they demanded of me and the only way I could, would be to fake it and pretend to be what I wasn’t because of my personality traits in addition to my Autism.  Of course like most things there are exceptions and my being human of course with flaws, I could be wrong in my ultimate point. To put on a dog and pony show to me is a form of deception and is unethical.   Can I be in a job, any job, in which I can be ethical by being my true self?  After I define these things I will define myself and give an analysis of myself and explain why my traits do not mesh up with the employer’s demands and really American society and values at large.  This time I will try to define things in my own terms the best that I can so I may have inaccuracies as I am a person who is human with a disability and no human beings are perfect anyway.

Work Ethic

Let’s start off with the concept of work ethic and what it means.  To me, work ethic is a moral value that has value outside of what positive outcome work entails more specifically outside of empirical reality.  What a work ethic is and means is that hard work is considered a value that is considered intrinsic onto itself and it is to build character.  It is the belief that working hard, under the definition of working hard, is considered a virtue unto itself whether it leads to a positive outcome or not.   How working hard is played out in America is this.  One is supposed to go to school, college, and then get himself a job.  Once he is at a job he is supposed to put in his time and dedicate his time to work and more than likely it is 8 hours a day 40 hours per week.  This is the American work ethic pushed by parents onto their children.   When one is at his job one is supposed to be reliable and take initiative.  Reliable means to do what one promises, with quality and on time.  It also entails showing up on time as well. This was what was presented to me as a child.

Appearance

Appearance is another factor as well.  This includes wearing the designated uniform whether it is suit and tie or auto mechanic’s uniform.  This depends upon what one’s job entails.    In addition, it can include personal hygiene and how well your clothes are ironed and pressed.  Depending upon the job, one may have to shave off his facial hair as well.  Appearance is the overall look that different employers desire in their workplaces.

Personality

The third concept employers consider is personality. According to the American Psychological Association Personality is “individual differences in characteristic patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.”   Employers hire a person based upon their patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving.  This is what the interviewer observes about a person and how one responds to various questions they’re asked in an interview.  From there, they create a profile based upon their empirical observations in the interview and based upon one’s answers to questions online or at their kiosk.  In essence, People’s thoughts, feelings and behavior are displayed through written and electronic assessments, non-verbal language and actual speech content ( are they verbose, succinct, what words they use, etc.)

Social Skills

The fourth concept is social skills which can intermingle with personality.    I will try to give my own definition as it is very difficult to find one from a reputable.  Remember this is my interpretation and I may not be interpreting it correctly.  My definition of social skills is the rules and procedures that govern interaction between two or more people, within a group and between groups.  From my perspective and interpretation employers do vary in their mission, vision, and products.  Most of them have certain social skills they require and they are very similar.

For example, in America one is supposed to make eye contact and when one shakes hands one is supposed to have a certain amount of pressure and force to his grip.   Manners also come into play on this like saying please, thank you, you’re welcome, and a lot more which can include table manners.  If one goes out to eat with a potential employer one is judged on his table manners as well. Part of social skills is communication as well.  It is being able to understand what the other person is saying and writing and speak and write in a way the other person is able to understand as well. Part of that is being able to interpret that through context from the underlying culture, tone, and body language.  As an example of where my communication skills lack let’s look at this right here.  I would never have considered problem solving skills as being a part of social skills and I never thought of problem solving skills as having these sub components as stated on this website:  http://www.nasponline.org/resources/fac ... ls_fs.aspx  Here is the listing:

Survival skills (e.g., listening, following directions, ignoring distractions, using nice or brave talk, rewarding yourself)
Interpersonal skills (e.g., sharing, asking for permission, joining an activity, waiting your turn)
Problem-solving skills (e.g., asking for help, apologizing, accepting consequences, deciding what to do)
Conflict resolution skills (e.g., dealing with teasing, losing, accusations, being left out, peer pressure)

Looking at the example of problem solving skills I would never have considered these as being part of problem solving.  When I think problem solving I think of how to come up with efficient code for a program or creating a software application.  Another example is coming up with a solution for a math problem or figuring out how to build a better mousetrap.  To me, that is problem solving.  My thinking on problem solving and what problem solving is is different from the mainstream understanding of it.  We have two different contexts we’re coming from.  This is part of my communication issues which is a part of social skills.

Technical Skills

There are the technical skills of the job meaning can I do the actual job?  For example, let’s say I’m a janitor.  Am I able to effectively to sweep and mop the floor effectively and efficiently.  If I am a programmer, do I understand how to program and do I have the knowledge of the programming languages employers desire.  Skills and experience are a part of this and is factored in as well in hiring decisions.

Work Experience

Finally, this relates to work skills but I think it deserves its own emphasis.  Today’s employers in many jobs require experience and not just my field.   I tried looking for a job in my field which was Information Technology.   A lot of jobs today seem are multi-skilled and each skill requires years of experience and this was true even in the entry level positions.  I believe this relates to social skills and communication meaning that it is who you know and if they know you as a hypothesis I have.

Integration of Employer’s Criteria

Overall, work ethic, appearance, personality, social skills, technical skills and experience are part of the overall rubric and yard stick employers use to determine whether a potential candidate is hired or not.  All of these concepts are not just in isolation but can intermingle and entangle themselves together.  Those who claim one has to develop skills, work hard and have an excellent work ethic is seeing only a part of the picture.  They’re not considering the forest as a whole.  I agree these things are very vital in employment especially to keep interactions civilized and I think it can be said these things help form the social glue of our society.

Personality Type Employers are Looking For

Let’s look at the type of personality employers are looking for.  I will quote it from Mr. Richard Bronson’s linkdin article and if you look at the comments by various employers they agree with Mr. Bronson.  https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/art ... ersonality  Mr. Bronson says “If you can find people who are fun, friendly, caring and love helping others, you are on to a winner.”   This is just one aspect.  My father has told me many times when he hires he is looking for someone who has energy.   Mr. Bronson said “Personality is the key. It is not something that always comes out in interview – people can be shy. But you have to trust your judgment. If you have got a slightly introverted person with a great personality, use your experience to pull it out of them. It is easier with an extrovert, but be wary of people becoming overexcited in the pressure of interviews.”   Despite what Mr. Bronson says extroverted personalities will have less of a difficult time succeeding in modern in employment unless they’re extremely high strung.  Let’s say we have a scale from -10 to 10.  -10 being extremely introverted and 10 being extremely extraverted.  My father has told me when he was someone who was hiring he didn’t want someone who was on the ceiling and I will assign 8-10 as scores for this person.

To me, slightly introverted, as Mr. Bronson mentions, is someone whom I will assign to around -1 to -3.  What we have is a bell shaped curve and if one is within certain standard deviations more than likely they will have a easier time obtaining and keeping a job or career.  More than likely energy, as my father calls it, and the amount of it is correlated with the amount of extroversion one has.  If one has extroversion on the x-axis and energy on the y-axis we will have a linear line that goes up.  If employers are in a hurry to fill in a position and they have to deal with 100s to 1000s of candidate are they really going to examine the more introverted person?   In addition, a number of employers have personality tests as well with choices: Strongly Disagree, Disagree, Neutral, Agree, Strongly Agree in which a number of questions are open to interpretation.

My Personality Type

In addition to my autism, I am an INTP personality type with an extreme emphasis on the T and the I, high emphasis on the P and the N.  I may be inaccurate but I when I do an analysis of myself I consider myself a deep thinker and philosopher who is open to new ideas.   The F side of me is not quite as developed.   I look for patterns and rules governing the underlying system.  My energy as my father calls it and as other employers call it including Mr. Bronson calls it is directed towards constant analysis and understanding of things.  My main desire is to understand and to know.  It is to discover the underlying patterns in our existence.  Once I have an intricate understanding of it, it is very difficult for me to work with it.  My mind literally shuts down and it is difficult for me to work with it.  I will give an example with a job I used to have.  I had to create a program to do x for company y.   For me, it was a thrill trying to figure how to create the program, program the code and solve the problem.

As I created the system, I had an underlying understanding of the program and when I had to create something remotely similar to it for a different reason my mind shut down.   It was like climbing Mount Everest because I fet this horrible inertia.   It is the same thing with programming in general.  My father wants me to get into doing Apps.  I can figure out how to do them and learn the syntax but the problem is I have no desire to.  Apps work under programming logic in the abstract sense.  For me, figuring out how programming works and the underlying logic was the thrill.  It brought me to new heights of ecstasy and it is like receiving a dosage of oxycotin.  Imagine the 9th symphony and when you listen to it you’re on top of the world.  Without this feeling and inspiration I can’t put my mind to doing Apps anymore or learning another programming language.  This is one aspect of my personality type that causes me dysfunction and why I have a difficult time succeeding in America.

The other part of my personality type is an extreme introversion.  I am an outlier on this if we have extraversion-introversion on a bell curve.  What employers want are energetic employees that are dedicated to focusing on servicing the customer in the empirical world even in IT.  Since I am an extreme introvert, I would do best in an environment that would require only minimum contact with certain co-workers in the metaphorical basement and no customers.  Are employers going to do this?  Even my SSDI report said I would do best with only minimal interaction with other co-workers and customers.

Employers require a person to take the initiative meaning if they perceive something needs to be done in their empirical environment the employee is supposed to do it without being told to do it.  I am a very introspective person which means a good chunk of my time I am inside of my own head mulling over my own thoughts.  This has a trade-off, the trade-off being that it makes me unobservant of my own surroundings.  Even my own significant other has had to keep telling me to pay attention to my own surroundings.  Taking the initiative requires one to be keenly aware and observant of his own surroundings which is one of my major weaknesses I have no idea how to overcome.  More than likely, even if there is something to do in the workplace and even if it is in front of my own face I will be unaware of it unless I am able to use my energy in a conscious manner to focus.   For me, this is very draining and by the time the day is over, my functioning level has gone down. My natural state is to be a very introspective yet very unobservant person.

Because of the P part of my personality, I am open to many possibilities of what things may be and how they may be interpreted with certain parameters given.  This leads to another aspect of why I have difficulty taking initiative in the workplace like employers demand.  Even if I am able to miraculously spot what needs to be done one issue I may have is does it really need to be done?   What if it looks like I’m supposed to move a box but I am really not or may be what looks like a spill isn’t and I misinterpret it,  I end up cleaning up what I’m not supposed to clean up.  What can happen is I may end up asking the employer a whole bunch of questions over every nuance.  Better yet, how do I even know I’m even authorized to take initiative on a particular task? If I perceive a better way of doing a task am I allowed to do it this way or do I follow the employers directions to the exact letter?  By deviating, I took the initiative did I not?  I remember I was at worktec, I thought I found a better way to do a particular task.  Apparently, I took the initiative wrong.

When I tried to question her about it, the woman would not answer my questions nor show me where my logic was off.  So, I’m still in the dark as to how one is supposed to take the initiative and how to apply the concept correctly.  What are my authorization levels and what are my boundaries?  Unless these things are directly told, because of my unobservant nature, not knowing what to observe I am unable to take the initiative and employers would have to tell me what they wanted or I would have to be shown the techniques to be more observant and what surroundings I should observe.  The problem is what people say and do and situations are open to interpretation.  Let’s give an example about taking out the garbage.  One person and I see a garbage can that has garbage in it.  An example of taking initiative means taking out the garbage when I see it as full.   Full is open to interpretation.   My boss may think it needs to be taken out and when I see it I think it doesn’t need to be taken out for one more day.  From my perspective, I didn’t think it was full enough yet to warrant being taken out and I could just take it out the next day.  On the other hand, my boss would claim that I showed lack of initiative.  My conclusion would be that both she and I had two different interpretations of the same situation.  She thought it was full and I lacked initiative for not taking the trash out.  I evaluated the trash and determined that I could leave it for one more day.  This is another reason I feel I am unable to succeed in America especially in employment.

The concept of taking initiative is too subjective for me because it involves me make judgment calls I am unable to make because my brain wiring is different than the majority’s brain wiring.    More than likely, I will not interpret the situation appropriately as defined by the majority and the majority is not forgiving of that.   This means my chances of success go down considerably in an environment that requires subjective interpretations in which the majority of people come to similar conclusions about different situations that are different than mine.  My taking initiative would require me to make subjective interpretations and subjectively appraise a situation and I am unable to do this because more than likely my conclusions will be different than the majority’s conclusions.  It ends up being a situation in which, your red is my green.  Like Einstein said “Did the chicken cross the road or did the road cross the chicken?”  Finally, I could see multiple interpretations of a direction given.  If I’m told to put a pot of water on the opposite side of the stove, then what is the correct interpretation of opposite?  It depends upon if we’re looking at the x-axis or y-axis.

I will quote Mr. Bronson again and Mr. Bronson says “If you can find people who are fun, friendly, caring and love helping others, you are on to a winner.”   Let me say that I do care about people a lot and I wish for the best for them.  I will say I wish the people in our society cared more about others then they actually do.  I wish people actually cared about the poor, sick and disabled instead of giving lip service.  I have gotten myself into trouble for caring too much and applying a faulty kind of caring in my past.  This is beside the point though.   In the past, the only real question that was asked was “Can you do the job?”   If one could clean well one could become a janitor easily.  Nowadays we have to have all of these soft skills including emotional intelligence.  Even though I do care a lot about people my version of caring presents differently.

My natural tendency is to examine and analyze a system.   This goes for people to and when conflicts occur.   For example, during thanksgiving time my significant other’s sister’s in laws would take a lot of food.   What my significant other and her mother wanted was for them to consider other people’s feelings and have consideration for others.   This was a buffet style thanksgiving dinner.  My solution was to ration the food and divide the food up.   My significant other did not like that very much.   My tendency is to look for flaws in systems and present solutions.   If I see a contradiction or something I don’t understand, I will question it.  I look for patterns, use logic, and use rationality which makes me deficient in emotional intelligence which is what Mr. Bronson is looking for.  I do not work with other people’s emotions that well even though I do care and sympathize with them.

As a side bar, I think judges, witnesses and juries in criminal court cases display their emotions too much.  We’re supposed to have an impartial justice in which justice is blind and guilt is supposed to be proven and until guilt is proven in theory they’re supposed to be considered innocent.  This means, judges and juries are supposed to weigh the facts and the evidence of the case.  This is how it is supposed to work in theory but this does not work in practice.  One can make emotional pleas to the jury and/or judge and both can be swayed by it instead of the preponderance of the evidence.  This is one anecdotal example.  Emotional energy and emotional intelligence outweigh logic, facts, and true critical thinking.  When I am at my normal state I don’t express a lot of emotion, passion, and feeling.   My monotone voice displays this as well.  Even if I have the experience, the knowledge and the facts to back me up my chances success in America go down.  You could say that I have the personality of Ben Stein.   If I came across like Ben Stein in a job interview, what are my chances that I will land the job since technical criteria is not the only criteria employers go by?

My Capacity when it comes to Social Skills

Eye Contact

What if one is not able to do a certain set of social skills a given culture requires one to do?   For example, I have difficulty making and sustaining eye contact and knowing what the right amount of eye contact is.  For me, it feels very painful and it is very difficult for me to concentrate on what the other person is saying.

Shaking Hands

I have a difficult time shaking hands because I don’t know the amount of grip to shake someone’s hands with especially in a business setting.   I’m told to shake with a firm handshake and if I do not I’m told I display a lack of confidence.  I’m afraid that if I grip too hard I will inadvertently hurt the other person.  How do I give a firm handshake so I don’t squeeze my hand as hard as B.A. Barracus on the A-Team (old series)?   There are people out there who are germaphobic and as of 10-23-2014, we have a virus called Ebola going around.   People sneeze and touch things all of the time.  Shouldn’t we as Americans be limiting our body contact with each other?   To be quite honest, I don’t feel comfortable shaking hands.  Even if the grip wasn’t the issue, I have a major fear of getting the Ebola virus.

Table Manners

I have both memory problems, some multitasking and fine and gross motor coordination problems.  Therefore, it is very difficult for me to eat the fork the right way which is one is supposed to use his left hand.  It is very difficult for me to use the soup spoon the right way without the soup from the spoon spilling on me.  In fact, for whatever reason food and sauces spill on me all of the time even when I have a napkin under me.  When I am at a formal social event apparently one is supposed to speak to others while eating at the same time.  Now, I’m expected to remember to speak to someone, maintain eye contact, eat, while keeping food from spilling on me at the same time.  In addition, due to my memory problems it is very difficult for me to know which set of glasses and silverware are mine when I’m at a formal event especially if I’m sitting at a circular table.  They set everything up in which all is connected together as one and it is difficult for me to know whos is what?   When there are a lot of items on the table it is very overwhelming for me.  These things are the reasons I hate formal social dinners with a passion and if I had to do one with an employer to get a job I would most certainly lose.

My Questions to the Neurotypical World

What if I have difficulty with these things or I literally am unable to do these things?  Am I to be punished for things beyond my control?   Why?  How is it reasonable to be punished for things such as this?   A blind person is automatically exempted from eye contact, a person who has no hands is exempted from shaking hands and a person in a wheel chair is exempted from walking all by default.   Why can’t I and other autistics receive similar exemptions as well?  Wouldn’t it be nice if all one had to do to seek and maintain employment was to be able to do the damn job and if one has no experience he would be able to seek and maintain employment and gain experience easily?   With exceptions like sales why can’t we just drop all of these expectations of things like firm handshakes and eye contact and remove them off the table?  Whatever happened to doing the damn job?

My Final Words

There are those who state that in order to succeed one has to work hard and have skills, e ven if this is necessarily true, it is not sufficiently true.  Working Hard and having skills will not guarantee success in one’s endeavors and people in America say “nothing in life is guaranteed.”  One can develop the skills, have the experience and work hard and these combined together will not guarantee one’s success in any employment in any part of The United States of America.   One can be well mannered but if one’s personality is of a dead fish his chances of success goes down considerably.  One’s personality in addition to work ethic, appearance, social skills, technical skills, and experience combined together count more than any of these alone.

Because of my personality type in addition to my Aspergers my chances of success in the USA is slim.   If one says to fake my way in and fake it until I make it, I can’t do this because it would be unethical for me to do so.  This would me I would be forced to present a characterization of a person that I am not and never will be which means I would have to be deceptive. Where can I succeed at exactly?  Is there any job in which I can be put in the metaphorical basement with minimal interaction with others and my assignments are given to me written down and in detail as to what they want by order of priority?   Is there any job in which I can be myself?   Can I make it in America at all?  How?



Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,927

28 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
d. Then they ask, be it from professionals or someone else.


Professionals: If we're talking about psychologists, psychiatrists, etc I've been seeing them since they I was four. Didn't work for me!

Someone else: And, what if they won't answer my questions?


The pros are only human too; it's no wonder not everyone can get the help they need, but I'd still recommend that people who need it would try.

As for non-professionals... well, there is the thing that many people don't want to talk about stuff they see as hard. The options, if you want results, are to either keep insisting or ask someone else.

Quote:
Because of my personality type in addition to my Aspergers my chances of success in the USA is slim. If one says to fake my way in and fake it until I make it, I can’t do this because it would be unethical for me to do so. This would me I would be forced to present a characterization of a person that I am not and never will be which means I would have to be deceptive. Where can I succeed at exactly? Is there any job in which I can be put in the metaphorical basement with minimal interaction with others and my assignments are given to me written down and in detail as to what they want by order of priority? Is there any job in which I can be myself? Can I make it in America at all? How?


Dunno, but you'll never know if you stop looking. I too have trouble with finding a suitable job (I'm not unemployed, but I'm overeducated for my current job and have too little hours), but I'll keep looking. Using your words, I'd consider it unethical of myself to stop looking since I know I have more to give to society if I just manage to get a chance.



cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 7 Nov 2008
Age: 42
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,783

28 Apr 2020, 11:11 am

Fireblossom wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
Quote:
d. Then they ask, be it from professionals or someone else.


Professionals: If we're talking about psychologists, psychiatrists, etc I've been seeing them since they I was four. Didn't work for me!

Someone else: And, what if they won't answer my questions?


The pros are only human too; it's no wonder not everyone can get the help they need, but I'd still recommend that people who need it would try.

As for non-professionals... well, there is the thing that many people don't want to talk about stuff they see as hard. The options, if you want results, are to either keep insisting or ask someone else.

Quote:
Because of my personality type in addition to my Aspergers my chances of success in the USA is slim. If one says to fake my way in and fake it until I make it, I can’t do this because it would be unethical for me to do so. This would me I would be forced to present a characterization of a person that I am not and never will be which means I would have to be deceptive. Where can I succeed at exactly? Is there any job in which I can be put in the metaphorical basement with minimal interaction with others and my assignments are given to me written down and in detail as to what they want by order of priority? Is there any job in which I can be myself? Can I make it in America at all? How?


Dunno, but you'll never know if you stop looking. I too have trouble with finding a suitable job (I'm not unemployed, but I'm overeducated for my current job and have too little hours), but I'll keep looking. Using your words, I'd consider it unethical of myself to stop looking since I know I have more to give to society if I just manage to get a chance.



I'm getting a job in china in August so it's all good for now.



firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Mar 2015
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,668
Location: Calne,England

28 Apr 2020, 11:20 am

Sometimes to be able to work a person may need help and support to do so . That has nothing to do with laziness , or any other derogatory comment that might be aimed at a person . If that help and support doesn't come then the likelihood of working is greatly reduced .

That is not , and can never be seen as, the fault of the individual .


_________________
Support mental health research
Please support mental health research
http://www.mentalhealthresearchuk.org.uk/
http://mcpin.org/
https://www.mqmentalhealth.org/


Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 133 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 47 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)