Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 2:07 pm

This reminds me of why I'm Christian.

I have been tossed around, abused, and treated with scorn and indifference by most people I've known. It's part of being an Aspie. We just don't connect with others, and people (even good people) can be incredibly hurtful to us.

And I'm no better. I've said hurtful things and done things that were unknowingly cruel. I've had dark moments where I wonder why I'm still alive. But when I read about the crucifixion, it makes sense. Humans are evil. Sometimes I wonder why I would ever forgive anyone else, or myself. But it doesn't matter if there's no good reason to forgive myself or others. Forgiveness and redemption is the only path that gives life.

Because God came into the world to save us, and we killed Him. But that didn't stop Him from defeating death and saving us through His death, which transcended human evil. St. Isaac of Nineveh says that God's love and mercy will always outweigh His justice towards us. None of us deserve forgiveness. We do many things on a daily basis that can hurt people, and may have hurt people, and we don't know it. Others say that this is a fatalistic thing to say about humanity. I say that it is realistic.

So I have hope for life because I don't care about how awful and evil mankind is. He has shown me that the way to live is to forgive others and forgive ourselves, and reconcile with one another.

PS: If you are not Christian, feel free to post here, but please be respectful. This is not a thread for arguing about religion... there are other threads for those :wink:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 2:30 pm

Thank you so much for that eloquent post and the awe-inspiring video.

That was beautiful!

(( Happy Eastertide Whale_Tuune )) :star:

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 3:39 pm

Thank you, you too. :heart:

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 7:19 pm

Good metaphysical depth in the video (and the videographer hinted at some interesting interepretations of the descent into the underworld).

I do think if our culture doesn't have any sort of codified understandings of forgiveness and redemption that we're in a lot of trouble, or at least our culture at that point isn't in a frame that fits liberal democracy well.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 7:48 pm

I'm quite ...confused, I guess, that the video starts with pointing out the results of the second council of Nicea. ... Wouldn't have thought thrre were enough iconodules around to require a warning that an image of jesus is not itself jesus, but hey, it's only been 11 hundred years....

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 8:08 pm

The disclaimer's a little funny, but I don't mind it.