All those christians marching to their potential death?!

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 1:13 am

What the hell where all those fundies in the south thinking gathering for all those church easter services? We just got to the peak of the virus where the cases might have started going down...and tons and tons of people flock to church services. Might just be enough to cause a bigger flare up anyone who physically went to church on the easter sunday should be ashamed.

Stop it the virus doesn't care what freaking faith you have, that's not going to stop it. I am not just looking to b***h at christians due to being a satanist, like I think they should have every right to their beliefs...but in a freaking pandemic like this stay home and livestream it. Even the freaking heavily catholic Italians and the pope took this seriously enough not to gather for easter...so what the hell? But yeah just want to point out I am not trying to be anti-christian, but this science denial is out of hand even the freaking pope knew better than to have people gather. But here in the U.S you got got a full megachurch full on sunday apparently in florida I think it was. Like do they really think a virus cares what faith they claim? Its really going to just skip over them because they're in a church. Nonsense. Like I get maybe visiting a relative if you just have to...but gathering with a gigantic group of church goers is extremely irresponsible in this situation.

Also its sad I read a whole article on some pastor guy who died, because he just had to get out and spread the word of christ at the Mardi gras festivities and so he contracted the virus and died. That is sad as hell but, freaking hell he was warned that this could be bad and didn't take it seriously and he died. Maybe it would have helped if there was a straight story on it...but with every news network saying something different about it, trump not taking it seriously initially I can see how people could be mislead to. I myself haven't even bothered looking at much U.S based news I am looking to the BBC and aljazeera, I have been looking at a local channel 7 news site as well but I don't even want to touch fox, cnn or any of those other bigger U.S ones all that s**t is so biased I just can't stand it.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:32 am

They probably think it’s some kind of test of faith.
When the Church of England started to shift their operations in response to the pandemic I at heard the phrase ”well their faith is strong isn’t it” spoken with, I assume, sarcastic intent at least once.
I can only conclude that for some folks all external events are merely part of their own internal psychodrama. 8O

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:41 am

Karamazov wrote:
When the Church of England started to shift their operations in response to the pandemic I at heard the phrase ”well their faith is strong isn’t it” spoken with, I assume, sarcastic intent at least once.
I can only conclude that for some folks all external events are merely part of their own internal psychodrama. 8O

A) be protected by the grace of God

B) die as a martyr and be rewarded in heaven

It's sort of a win-win situation no matter how they look at it.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:43 am

It's all about money. Yet even Osteen moved to live streaming...from his $multi-million River Oaks abode.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:45 am

Syd wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

I know the theory: I’m not entirely sure how knowingly putting yourself at risk of contracting a potentially fatal disease counts as martyrdom... sounds more like playing Russian roulette by alternative means.
Hey ho. :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Apr 2020, 3:37 am

Syd wrote:

C) You have just mild symptoms but the virus you spread kills your mother and several random people.

Very Christian, isn't it?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 4:54 am

In my opinion it is like that big family gathering for a birthday in LA that got busted up by the cops.

I know the local church I am familiar with are like family. It's nearly 80 years old. Elderly members have been attening it since they were born. Easter is an important time to them as a church family. Now they did not get together for Easter as far as I know. But I am sure they badly wanted to. The church expects a time when gathering will become illegal like it is in China. So that is why there is natural opposition and even defiance to being told they can't. The level of prejudice I see progressives level at the Christians is the same as Islamaphobia. It's full of the same kind of stereotyping and ignorance.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Apr 2020, 5:15 am

The vast majority of Christians are reasonable. At least here. Of course they don't enjoy Easter - the most important religious holiday - with empty churches but care for lifes and health of the people gets higher priority so they stick to the regulations.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Apr 2020, 5:16 am

Given that most churches these days have huge amounts of excess capacity, I think some of them could reasonably have opened if social distancing rules were strictly obeyed. The places which are packed, on the other hand, are disasters waiting to happen.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 5:34 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Given that most churches these days have huge amounts of excess capacity, I think some of them could reasonably have opened if social distancing rules were strictly obeyed. The places which are packed, on the other hand, are disasters waiting to happen.

Dude...were talking about the USA, where church attendance is ten times that of the UK. Not about your neighborhood in England. In the UK traditional Churches are all abandoned museum exhibits. In the US not only are traditional churches as much used as they ever were, but some pastors buy up old sports stadiums to create "megachurches" housing tens of thousands.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 8:36 am

They would be safer to handle snakes these days really,most American snakes won't kill you unless your anaphylactic anyway.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 9:31 am

Syd wrote:

The trouble with that "martyr" thing is that most of those erstwhile "martyrs" have it all wrong.  Martyrdom is not about looking for something that will kill you to demonstrate your faith; it's all about others knowingly killing you because of your faith.

A virus has no way of knowing the religion of the people it kills -- it is an equal-opportunity killer.  Thus, simply dying from a disease does not make a person a martyr, whether that person is religious or not.

HOWEVER, if people who exercise their faith by attending to the needs of dying people also die of the same disease as the people they were trying to help, that could be counted as martyrdom -- self-sacrifice in willing service to others.  Also, if some anti-religious fanatic purposely infects a religious person with a deadly disease, then that religious person is being persecuted for his/her religion, and becomes a martyr for that religion when he/she dies from the disease.

But if the sole purpose for exposing one's self to a deadly disease is to show off the magnitude of one's faith (e.g., "Virtue Signalling"), then that is not martyrdom; it is stupidity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 9:52 am

vermontsavant wrote:
They would be safer to handle snakes these days really,most American snakes won't kill you unless your anaphylactic anyway.

Yes. Just sitting in the pews today would be...."the NEW snake handling". :lol:

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Apr 2020, 10:05 am

I live in the south. Meh, my family never goes to church.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 10:34 am

Well they do worship a deity that likes to smite with plagues.
Maybe they think that baptizing washes the virus off.Maybe if they filled the vat with Lysol.
They aren’t even up with the scriptures.
Jesus said where two or three are gathered he will be there.They Are not very faithful to the word of their Savior.
In reality they just probably want to show off all that Easter finery they purchased for their big day out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 10:37 am

Misslizard wrote:
Well they do worship a deity that likes to smite with plagues.
Sheesh! Smite one country with a few plagues and you're a plague-smiter forever!
Quote:
In reality they just probably want to show off  all that Easter finery they purchased for their big day out. 
There. Corrected it for you!

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.