Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 7:36 am

Whale_Tuune wrote:
I've heard someone astutely observe that my generation can't trust anyone. That, I think, is why we suffer so much anxiety and depression. I have zero faith in authority figures to do the right thing or keep me safe and healthy. Due to personal history and the collective history of my country...

I'd say that's a good thing for millenials and zoomers to have in common, ie. we might have the collective will and numbers to make certain key changes to how our system works. I remember one of the more difficult reads in the old testament for me, at least up there among Numbers and Joshua, was Judges and it was for the nihilism of the realization that generational corruption was cyclical and every third or fourth generation would have to fight their way out of slavery because it was a given that social competitive dynamics and human nature would take hold of the next liberated generation and beyond to reliably bring them right back into slavery. At this point, with our generations, I have to really hope that the 'holy soil where bad things just don't happen - because we're us and we're just made of different stuff than the people of history' hallucination is gone in the west and that we realize we're going to have to fight quite hard to keep what liberties we have.

Out of curiosity do you have much familiarity with Eric Weinstein? I think I posted his talk with Daniel Schmachtenberger, they're both brilliant on this topic and Eric had him on The Portal (episode 27) where they beat this drum for about 3 1/2 hours. Long interview for sure but there was a lot of value in it.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 5:14 pm

She posted a reprisal today:

Healing the Millennial Wound - Helping Generation Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-YbTKskzxQ

For those who are rather rabbidly non-new age (I'm not new age but my rabbidity varies on the person) I might say cover your ears but - she makes enough fair secular points, and yeah - unless we somehow gain biological immortality and the baby boomers end up being the eternal never-retiring rulers of the universe who keep us time-locked in 1985 for the remainder of humanity's future then I think it's fair to say it'll be the case that there'll be no one but us to take the help in the next decade or so. The trick is getting there without incurring so much damage that we do an even worse job.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling