Page 2 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jan 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,920
Location: UK

11 May 2020, 7:04 pm

I remember, aged 6, being horrified by kids fighting at school. I dodged conflict all through my youth by various means, including deceit, diversion and manipulation and still put it down to being high minded, though I'm sure now there was some cowardice involved.

There's a quote I can't remember, something about fighting at school and how it's asserting your right to exist. That makes more sense after having been trashed further down the line. The dodging worked for so long but as an adult I found myself in a weak position, capitulating to the same types who now used psychological rather than physical threats.

I'm not condoning violence but constant apeasment and diversion becomes very hard work and complicated. It's less taxing to give a little prod back with your elbows and defend your space. (all done within the correct etiquette of course :roll:) but such a bore.



Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Sep 2019
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,285
Location: Outter Quadrant

11 May 2020, 7:22 pm

admittedly this is a very curious insightful thread,, having much more depth than was prepared to engage but finding myself almost relating to each and every written word in this thread. Am not able to make a good contribution to this thread just now , as am overwelmed with emotion regarding the depth of thought and considerations written before this post. Especially the described thought processes at the various ages of the contributors , when they were dealing with their issues .
Feeling much less alone in the world that i had grown up in.


_________________
Female
Diagnosed hfa
Loves velcro,
Quote:
whereever you go ,there you are


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 6:32 am

blazingstar wrote:
In regards to #3: I was not referring to the sort of daily glimmers of intuition and assimilating of new ideas that comes along rather frequently if one is listening. Nor I am looking at the changes that come from different life stages. Rather I am talking about shifts of tectonic proportions. The decades were just approximate and I didn't really have one around 55. But now, at 67, I am experiencing another major shift. It is scary, exciting and wonderful all at the same time.

I think what's touched me a lot is seeing that there are things far deeper in myself that are fundamentally good which tend to stick around no matter how acrid my self-talk has been the night before. For example beating my head into a wall yesterday evening until I went to sleep on some sort of technical jam I was having with implementing a security schema, realizing that someone had set up a very small problem to be almost unresolvable, from there opening up the well of hatred that I feel in the world around me and probably sounding just about psychotic if anyone heard what I was saying to myself, to then wake up this morning before my alarm clock hearing - in my mind at least - a piano and vocal version of 'You are so beautiful'. My deepest fear with what I've been going through is that - if I were really 'just' a biological organism - enough throttling in life could eventually erase that and I could be eventually scraped down to nothing but hatred. IMHO that would be a result angling toward a life better off having not been lived. A lot of the scariest things I've been through in the past few years have been that - ie. wondering how much of a beating my inner angels can take before they flicker out permanently.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 6:35 am

domineekee wrote:
There's a quote I can't remember, something about fighting at school and how it's asserting your right to exist. That makes more sense after having been trashed further down the line. The dodging worked for so long but as an adult I found myself in a weak position, capitulating to the same types who now used psychological rather than physical threats.

And this is what I mean, it's almost like we're dealing with such savage oppositions in our lives - that we're forced to hold inside ourselves at the same time - that there's no real way to integrate it. It's sort of like life will be forever off balance and always be a circle of trade-offs rather than finding a place of profound stability where one can hunker-down and keep finding themselves better adapted as they practice being in that particular 'place'.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,767
Location: Queens, NYC

12 May 2020, 6:38 am

I had a similar quandary with a blanket. I was unable to effectively combine the “underblanket” with the “surface blanket.”

You’re a very smart man. You will solve this.

What I believe you’re (Tech) actually talking about is the restraint shown in attaining “civilization”— that it is necessary to restrain our base impulses to do so.



techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 6:41 am

Jakki wrote:
admittedly this is a very curious insightful thread,, having much more depth than was prepared to engage but finding myself almost relating to each and every written word in this thread. Am not able to make a good contribution to this thread just now , as am overwelmed with emotion regarding the depth of thought and considerations written before this post. Especially the described thought processes at the various ages of the contributors , when they were dealing with their issues .
Feeling much less alone in the world that i had grown up in.

TBH I probably complement people for their participation and sharing in these threads far too little - and part of it might be that my inward reaction might be finding quite a bit of value in what they're saying but not having anything to say directly back to the point they made, and it can feel like a set of 'good' that I failed to externalize.

I really appreciate anytime people do say things like the above. There's a part of me that, with threads like this, wants to help excavate areas people don't talk about. On one side it's because people seem to feel more justified in making contact with something in themselves that's been fleeting if they see it verbalized well, and the other part - just about everyone in the world right now IMHO is getting hammered in some way shape or form and things have been on a terrible spiral. I have to hope these kinds of conversations or anything like them for those participating helps light up the kinds of internal structures that help them be more resilient. I think a lot of us feel like the world's, at least socially, descending through the various portals of Dante's Inferno and to feel like we're utterly alone in our humanity and richness of internal experiences makes us feel less empowered.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 6:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What I believe you’re (Tech) actually talking about is the restraint shown in attaining “civilization”— that it is necessary to restrain our base impulses to do so.

What we seem to do is carve everything up into derivatives. Sublimation can work but eventually it depends what kinds of influence are getting poured into the mix for how long and in what quantity. I think one of the more useful revelations I had (psychedelic assisted - I probably wouldn't have thought of this on my own) was that fantasies, hope bubbles, and particularly lies we tell ourselves, the vision I had of that was a bit like the difference between planet earth having the global underwater conveyor belt that works like a planetary radiator and keeps the poles from getting too cold and the equator from getting too hot, that what we do with carving up fact with fiction and mixing it into ever more complex blends is that we're trying to 'pad' the world for the needs of human existence and buffeting the traumas, and without any of that at all we'd be in a world that's just jagged rocks with no moss covering.

I don't think the above is quite a metaphysical claim in every sense, I side with John Gray from the perspective that I've had too many things happen that simply don't square with strictly physicalist dogma, but I'd at least agree with physicalists in the seeming complete apathy of the system we're in and that by all intents and purposes it seems like the world's behavior approximates that. At the same time though it does seem like a strange miracle that there's nearly as much good or self-restraint as there is in people, running into a good sadist or psychopath who targets you can rattle your sense of that but then the more you talk to other people you realize that the 'better' that's ticking inside of you is ticking inside quite a few other people - and one needs to get in touch with that often, especially if they're getting buffeted.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,958
Location: Oz

12 May 2020, 7:25 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had a similar quandary with a blanket. I was unable to effectively combine the “underblanket” with the “surface blanket.”

You’re a very smart man. You will solve this.

What I believe you’re (Tech) actually talking about is the restraint shown in attaining “civilization”— that it is necessary to restrain our base impulses to do so.



I have the impression he takes too much credence in this life system.
I recommend a moderate dose of nihilism, so he can achieve a degree of balance in his life.

Nihilism doesn't have to be a negative philosophy,
People simply choose it to be so.

A dollop of existentialism fills the existential insecurity/void if one has one.
And the emotional despair, if one has one, eventually dissipates with age/experience.

I often wonder what would happen if a child was raised on the truth of their existence,
Rather than be mollycoddled with childish nonsense.

The human mind is very pliable and can adapt to most non-toxic situations.
A matter-of-fact approach to life, I imagine, would pay dividends, in the long term, surely. 8)


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,




Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,950

12 May 2020, 11:52 am

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I had a similar quandary with a blanket. I was unable to effectively combine the “underblanket” with the “surface blanket.”

You’re a very smart man. You will solve this.

What I believe you’re (Tech) actually talking about is the restraint shown in attaining “civilization”— that it is necessary to restrain our base impulses to do so.



I have the impression he takes too much credence in this life system.
I recommend a moderate dose of nihilism, so he can achieve a degree of balance in his life.

Nihilism doesn't have to be a negative philosophy,
People simply choose it to be so.

A dollop of existentialism fills the existential insecurity/void if one has one.
And the emotional despair, if one has one, eventually dissipates with age/experience.

I often wonder what would happen if a child was raised on the truth of their existence,
Rather than be mollycoddled with childish nonsense.

The human mind is very pliable and can adapt to most non-toxic situations.
A matter-of-fact approach to life, I imagine, would pay dividends, in the long term, surely. 8)


It's Worth Noting that Nietzsche
Experienced Dark Depression in Life;
Surely, Not A Goal In Life Worth Repeating.

Science Shows that Human Beings Without
Meaning In Life are More Depressed than
Those Who Feel Meaning In Life.

Real Life Results Shows it Works.
We Have a Great Deal To Feel/Do in whether
Or not We Are Colorless Stone or Flower that keeps Blooming.
In Fact, for Humans, 'Spring' Within is Literally Possible Year-Round
As We Humans Have the Potential to Regulate Our Emotions and Integrate
Our Senses in Such a Way That We Master Autotelic Flow of Balance; in other
Words, Generating Literally Mastering Our Happiness Basically Eternally Now, Within.

Of course, Science Also Shows that Well Regulated Emotions Harnessed for the
Value of Neurochemicals and Neurohormones that Do Provide the Ability for
The Kind of Cognitive Executive Functioning in Focus and Short Term
Working Memory that becomes a Real Human Energizer Bunny
Like me, is Indeed Possible, or have you my FRiEnD already
Run Out of Focus, for You Have Not Yet achieved
This Level of Greater Human Potential.

To Leave Human Emotions
Out of the Science of Existential
Intelligences of Being Human is Missing
The First And Last of What Makes our Consciousness
Even Possible as a state of Mind that at Least can determine
Which Color of Sock to Wear to Attend Church if one understands
why folks even go to Hold Hands to Generate More Emotions that
Are Healthy for Well Being to Achieve More Success in what really counts in life.

Yes,
Can You
Spell Cognitive
Executive Functioning;
In Fact, it is Determined
Well Before You say a word;
It is True Science Shows it so.
The Dance Comes First With Feelings
The Song Comes Next At Best in Focus
And Short Term Working Memory With Feelings
Fuller Employed; the 'Reason' Jokes are used in Science
Lectures to Wake the Fuel of Focus and Short Term Memory
Up and to Seal Memories for Long Term Memories to be used later
By the Force of Neurochemicals and Neurohormones that comprise
The Feelings of
Emotions come
to Spring Alive;
But of course
Nietzche wasn't
A Scientist and not
'SmART' enough to attain simple Human Joy;
Although, He 'Hypothesized' other folks experienced it.
Seeing Utilitarianism as Happiness Reflects little to no Ability to Experience Simple Joy'
And Truly A Fail when it comes to the Current State of Art of Science in Achieving Greater
Human potentials.

Imagine 'A Place'
'Ignorant' Enough
To Miss the Core of
What Makes our Mind even
work; Yes, First And Last,
Human Emotions the
Older Brains First
And then
The
Newer
Brain Works a little
Bit or like a finely Tuned Ferrari in Flow;
Life Works Better as a River than Stones
at the Bottom that don't move us forward
as Our River Flows or stagnates and the ugh, such;
Of course not just my opinion; the state of the Art of Science
for Being
Human now.


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2015
Age: 36
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,462

12 May 2020, 12:50 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
some horribly naive sense that 'the universe loves me' can set in to my deeper machinery, then I fire up my work laptop, see some of the emails that come through, the entitlement of 'sharp elbows' where if you're not violent or carrying the threat of violence you can be whipped to death while doing work they could never do in their wildest dreams and they can stack expectations up to the moon because they're living gods, you're a slave, your mom should have miscarried if you dare inconvenience them, and after a few hours of cursing existence and wishing the light of consciousness would go out on the universe for all of eternity you go back to bed, back under the comforter, where something in you is smiling and telling you that God loves you.


I'll paraphrase Spinoza and say we should love God and not expect Him to love us back. That said, nature gives us enough love, we just too often want it to bend toward our will rather than find our own purpose or way in it. As long as you expect to escape pain and disappointment, you will be pained and disappointed. Taking an interest in all of your emotions and thoughts is a better way toward peace, at least through accepting life is not about peace.

Quote:
That makes me wonder how many proper psychopaths and sadists go to bed and feel like their blankets are a warm hug from God at the end of the day [...]


Read Shakespeare.

Quote:
just how permanently unresolvable a mystery we might be sitting on top of. Especially if we would ever hope for deep problem solving in our culture


"Problem" is a perspective, and the idea we can solve life or that nature cares about our preferences is our own confusion. We would rather live by culture than nature, and wonder why we are constantly unfulfilled.


_________________
Unofficially human.


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 7:52 pm

Pepe wrote:
I have the impression he takes too much credence in this life system.
I recommend a moderate dose of nihilism, so he can achieve a degree of balance in his life.

I probably just process that differently. For example I read Lev Shestov's 'All Things Are Possible' and it was filled with these wonderful little gems of the sort that Giacomo Leopardi was big on.

A good example from the first half (aphorism 84):

Quote:
Gradually there settles down a dreadful, eternal silence of the cemetery. All go mad, without words, they realise what is happening within them, and make up their minds for the last shift: to hide their grief for ever from men, and to speak in commonplace, trivial words which will be accepted as sensible, serious, and even lofty expressions. No longer will anyone cry: "Life is a waste," and intrude his feelings on his neighbours. Everybody knows that it is shameful for one's life to be a waste, and that this shame should be hidden from every eye. The last law on earth is—loneliness.

The thing about this - people's reactions to nihilism, ie. what they can do with it and what they can't, has a lot to do with what they're going through. For example - if you know that there are things inside of you that are of great worth, you find yourself quite often surrounded by people who (as much as they'd do it to each other so they do unto you) treat you as if you have no right to have ever been born and try to stomp even harder for your audacity of having any self-respect, at all, in the face of their onslaught, you're left being the guardian of those things you hold within almost by default. The math just doesn't work out any other way. In that sense one in that situation might use nihilism to attune to the harder realities, be aware of what the weighted average of life is, drop their standards in terms of what they're expecting from their future, but if curiosity is a large part of what keeps them alive - that's not likely to switch off.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

12 May 2020, 8:14 pm

HighLlama wrote:
I'll paraphrase Spinoza and say we should love God and not expect Him to love us back. That said, nature gives us enough love, we just too often want it to bend toward our will rather than find our own purpose or way in it. As long as you expect to escape pain and disappointment, you will be pained and disappointed. Taking an interest in all of your emotions and thoughts is a better way toward peace, at least through accepting life is not about peace.

That's pretty much where I've been for the last three or four years. A friend of mine recently put it the same way one of my favorite authors on this topic does and that's this - whatever 'it' is it loves everything equally in such a manner that it loves no thing more than the next, therefore it's completely and totally neutral in all affairs and effectively you're on your own.

HighLlama wrote:
"Problem" is a perspective, and the idea we can solve life or that nature cares about our preferences is our own confusion. We would rather live by culture than nature, and wonder why we are constantly unfulfilled.

So with that, ie. the notion that I could find some 'central' place of perspective where if I was diligent enough to find it it would be like standing at the north pole watching the world spin below me while I stayed relatively still, or watched other people run twice as fast in the same place where I'd put all the effort in to find that place where I no longer needed to do any such thing - that's been a sort of hidden layer of gnosticism (ie. salvation through knowledge) that was embedded in my psyche and apparently well below my conscious layer of reasoning. I think I saw where it came from - ie. being gas-lit, perpetually, through my childhood, hardly finding anyone who wouldn't lie to me about absolutely anything and everything, to eventually find out that I could trust my own mind, that I could reach out in the world and unite facts, and the more facts I united the more I was able to take the power away from the external gaslighting machine and find a place of deep peace and powerful connection to truth within myself.

In that sense I didn't get there because of any ancient philosopher or revealed religion, it's more like you can find yourself in a place where the economic (meaning this in the broadest sense) trade-offs for having made some new move or gone to some previously unexplored territory makes a night vs. day difference, totally transforms your life, and that can easily lend itself to the notion that this track, ie. pursuit of truth, *is* freedom and that it would be an unabated good that could only get better all along one's ark of travel across it. The obvious things that caught up to me - you run with it far enough you end up out with John Gray, Lev Shestov, Giacomo Leopardi, Franz Kafka, etc.. At some point your head gets dunked right back into the human condition and I think it really started for me with the profound realization that - IRL - no one gave a flying ---- what I'd learned. How much money did I make per year? What's my social status? What's my propensity toward violence or lack of it and capacity to dominate others? I found out that - societally - that's all that matters and that for all I've done for myself, in the outside world, it's really easy to figure me out - I'm a loser who lives with his parents and once that's known nothing else is important (unless someone wants to pay careful attention to me for what 'not' to do and treat me like an object lesson).

What I just said above isn't to say that I regret having followed this arc, I think if anything I ended up at that last point because the lies were so thick and I was so poorly prepared for life by the people around me (parents, friends, family, etc.) that it took until damn near 40 to actually feel confident enough to accept the darkest parts of what I thought I was seeing in the outside world and not letting anyone run interference, blow smoke up my arse, and try to turn me away from staring at it. I had to stare at it at this point because if I hadn't, and if I hadn't fought my way through it (and it came to the razors edge plenty of times), I might not be here today. In fact, if I take inventory of my life and where things are at - it finally feels like I'm winning. Could it be too little too late? Sure, but, the point is - I was narrowly grazed by the nightmares that I was in some sense running from for most of my life, I faced them down, smashed my way through what was in front of me even if the word 'fair' had absolutely no place in the situation, and it seems like I'm on the opposite bank of that river now.

Daniel Schmachtenberger's said something a few times on Rebel Wisdom that I think is right. In most senses life is post-narrative now. While you will have narratives, or at least fragments of them, you learn to use them like tools and hold on to them very loosely because they can become completely inappropriate at a moments notice if things in the outside world change enough or if some force of physics penetrates your life and your situation ends up inexplicably altered for reasons which have no relationship to any sort of narrative and that you can't relate back to yourself. Integrating that sort of thing is about playing a game of both trying to surf the physics of what's around you and using bits and pieces of narrative that you fashion together to remind yourself of who you'd prefer to be through the course of it. That's sort of where things have been heading for me.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling


Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,958
Location: Oz

13 May 2020, 9:10 pm

aghogday wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I had a similar quandary with a blanket. I was unable to effectively combine the “underblanket” with the “surface blanket.”

You’re a very smart man. You will solve this.

What I believe you’re (Tech) actually talking about is the restraint shown in attaining “civilization”— that it is necessary to restrain our base impulses to do so.



I have the impression he takes too much credence in this life system.
I recommend a moderate dose of nihilism, so he can achieve a degree of balance in his life.

Nihilism doesn't have to be a negative philosophy,
People simply choose it to be so.

A dollop of existentialism fills the existential insecurity/void if one has one.
And the emotional despair, if one has one, eventually dissipates with age/experience.

I often wonder what would happen if a child was raised on the truth of their existence,
Rather than be mollycoddled with childish nonsense.

The human mind is very pliable and can adapt to most non-toxic situations.
A matter-of-fact approach to life, I imagine, would pay dividends, in the long term, surely. 8)


It's Worth Noting that Nietzsche
Experienced Dark Depression in Life;
Surely, Not A Goal In Life Worth Repeating.


Pre or post syphilis?

The other thing to consider is being "a square peg trying to fit in a round hole."
Society was a lot more ignorant about "life, the universe and everything", back then.

aghogday wrote:
Science Shows that Human Beings Without
Meaning In Life are More Depressed than
Those Who Feel Meaning In Life.


I haven't been depressed for over 35 years,
And the reason I overcame it, was due to education and personal enlightenment.
How do you explain that?

This need for meaning is the failing of the evolutionary process.
It is a failing of humanity, in general, that reality/the-truth is so threatening.
We will disagree as to what that truth may be,
But in principle, do you agree that most people often find philosophical change, with its cognitive dissonance, confronting?

And how much of our despair, in realising the truth, is the result of bing fed lies before we had the means to reason for ourselves?
Betrayal, by our minders, is a difficult pill to swallow.

aghogday wrote:
Real Life Results Shows it Works.
We Have a Great Deal To Feel/Do in whether
Or not We Are Colorless Stone or Flower that keeps Blooming.
In Fact, for Humans, 'Spring' Within is Literally Possible Year-Round
As We Humans Have the Potential to Regulate Our Emotions and Integrate
Our Senses in Such a Way That We Master Autotelic Flow of Balance; in other
Words, Generating Literally Mastering Our Happiness Basically Eternally Now, Within.


I am amazed at how most people are consumed by searching for happiness,
Rather than searching for the truth.
Emotional input is a major factor of confirmation bias,
Which in turn, seduces us away from an objective POV.
I don't expect you to agree. :mrgreen:

aghogday wrote:
Of course, Science Also Shows that Well Regulated Emotions Harnessed for the
Value of Neurochemicals and Neurohormones that Do Provide the Ability for
The Kind of Cognitive Executive Functioning in Focus and Short Term
Working Memory that becomes a Real Human Energizer Bunny
Like me, is Indeed Possible, or have you my FRiEnD already
Run Out of Focus, for You Have Not Yet achieved
This Level of Greater Human Potential.


I have no desperation in achieving a "Level of Greater Human Potential".
If it comes, it comes.
If it doesn't, it doesn't.
This drive towards "Greater Human Potential" is driven by emotional satiation, initially, btw. :wink:


aghogday wrote:
To Leave Human Emotions
Out of the Science of Existential
Intelligences of Being Human is Missing
The First And Last of What Makes our Consciousness
Even Possible as a state of Mind that at Least can determine
Which Color of Sock to Wear to Attend Church if one understands
why folks even go to Hold Hands to Generate More Emotions that
Are Healthy for Well Being to Achieve More Success in what really counts in life.


To what end?
Your assumption is that there is some inherent meaning to this madness.
And let me tell you,
There is well being in *not* being entangled in the web of machinations and nonsense created by misguided/malevolent social architects.
There is well being in *not* engaging in pointless struggles which only serves the needs of those more interested in manipulating us for their own agenda.
And there is well being in embracing an internal tranquillity through personal enlightenment.
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Om mani padme om. :mrgreen:

Emotional engorgement works for you.
It doesn't work for me.
I am allowed to see life differently, am I not, Herr Hitler? :P


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,




Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


Last edited by Pepe on 13 May 2020, 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,958
Location: Oz

13 May 2020, 9:25 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I have the impression he takes too much credence in this life system.
I recommend a moderate dose of nihilism, so he can achieve a degree of balance in his life.

I probably just process that differently. For example I read Lev Shestov's 'All Things Are Possible' and it was filled with these wonderful little gems of the sort that Giacomo Leopardi was big on.

A good example from the first half (aphorism 84):

Quote:
Gradually there settles down a dreadful, eternal silence of the cemetery. All go mad, without words, they realise what is happening within them, and make up their minds for the last shift: to hide their grief for ever from men, and to speak in commonplace, trivial words which will be accepted as sensible, serious, and even lofty expressions. No longer will anyone cry: "Life is a waste," and intrude his feelings on his neighbours. Everybody knows that it is shameful for one's life to be a waste, and that this shame should be hidden from every eye. The last law on earth is—loneliness.

The thing about this - people's reactions to nihilism, ie. what they can do with it and what they can't, has a lot to do with what they're going through. For example - if you know that there are things inside of you that are of great worth, you find yourself quite often surrounded by people who (as much as they'd do it to each other so they do unto you) treat you as if you have no right to have ever been born and try to stomp even harder for your audacity of having any self-respect, at all, in the face of their onslaught, you're left being the guardian of those things you hold within almost by default. The math just doesn't work out any other way. In that sense one in that situation might use nihilism to attune to the harder realities, be aware of what the weighted average of life is, drop their standards in terms of what they're expecting from their future, but if curiosity is a large part of what keeps them alive - that's not likely to switch off.


You are a theist(?)/spiritualist(?)
I am a hardcore atheist.
We will never see eye-to-eye. :wink:

If your personal philosophy gives you meaning,
Continue to embrace it.
If it gives you consternation/anxiety,
Change it.
Simples.
I had the impression you were not comfortable in your philosophical "skin".

BTW,
I am "happy"/satisfied with how I see the world.
So, where is the impetus for me to change? :scratch: :wink:


_________________
Laughter is the best medicine. Age-appropriate behaviour is an arbitrary NT social construct.
Don't tell me white lies. Gaslight me at your peril. Don't give me your bad attitude.
If I'm so bad, pass me by. ;)


And one more thing,




Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)


aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Nov 2010
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,950

13 May 2020, 9:58 pm

Pepe wrote:
aghogday wrote:
Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:


It's Worth Noting that Nietzsche
Experienced Dark Depression in Life;
Surely, Not A Goal In Life Worth Repeating.


Pre or post syphilis?

The other thing to consider is being "a square peg trying to fit in a round hole."
Society was a lot more ignorant about "life, the universe and everything", back then.

aghogday wrote:
Science Shows that Human Beings Without
Meaning In Life are More Depressed than
Those Who Feel Meaning In Life.


I haven't been depressed for over 35 years,
And the reason I overcame it, was due to education and personal enlightenment.
How do you explain that?

This need for meaning is the failing of the evolutionary process.
It is a failing of humanity, in general, that reality/the-truth is so threatening.
We will disagree as to what that truth may be,
But in principle, do you agree that most people often find philosophical change, with its cognitive dissonance, confronting?

And how much of our despair, in realising the truth, is the result of bing fed lies before we had the means to reason for ourselves?
Betrayal, by our minders, is a difficult pill to swallow.

aghogday wrote:
Real Life Results Shows it Works.
We Have a Great Deal To Feel/Do in whether
Or not We Are Colorless Stone or Flower that keeps Blooming.
In Fact, for Humans, 'Spring' Within is Literally Possible Year-Round
As We Humans Have the Potential to Regulate Our Emotions and Integrate
Our Senses in Such a Way That We Master Autotelic Flow of Balance; in other
Words, Generating Literally Mastering Our Happiness Basically Eternally Now, Within.


I am amazed at how most people are consumed by searching for happiness,
Rather than searching for the truth.
Emotional input is a major factor of confirmation bias,
Which in turn, seduces us away from an objective POV.
I don't expect you to agree. :mrgreen:

aghogday wrote:
Of course, Science Also Shows that Well Regulated Emotions Harnessed for the
Value of Neurochemicals and Neurohormones that Do Provide the Ability for
The Kind of Cognitive Executive Functioning in Focus and Short Term
Working Memory that becomes a Real Human Energizer Bunny
Like me, is Indeed Possible, or have you my FRiEnD already
Run Out of Focus, for You Have Not Yet achieved
This Level of Greater Human Potential.


I have no desperation in achieving a "Level of Greater Human Potential".
If it comes, it comes.
If it doesn't, it doesn't.
This drive towards "Greater Human Potential" is driven by emotional satiation, initially, btw. :wink:


aghogday wrote:
To Leave Human Emotions
Out of the Science of Existential
Intelligences of Being Human is Missing
The First And Last of What Makes our Consciousness
Even Possible as a state of Mind that at Least can determine
Which Color of Sock to Wear to Attend Church if one understands
why folks even go to Hold Hands to Generate More Emotions that
Are Healthy for Well Being to Achieve More Success in what really counts in life.


To what end?
Your assumption is that there is some inherent meaning to this madness.
And let me tell you,
There is well being in *not* being entangled in the web of machinations and nonsense created by misguided/malevolent social architects.
There is well being in *not* engaging in pointless struggles which only serves the needs of those more interested in manipulating us for their own agenda.
And there is well being in embracing an internal tranquillity through personal enlightenment.
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Om mani padme om. :mrgreen:

Emotional engorgement works for you.
It doesn't work for me.
I am allowed to see life differently, am I not, Herr Hitler? :P


Smiles; you are surely welcome to whatever you
want to believe or whatever works for you;
Just providing the State of the Art of Science
on the Issue in Addressing an opinion..:)


_________________
KATiE MiA FredericK!iI

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick


techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Feb 2005
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,128
Location: The 27th Path of Peh.

14 May 2020, 8:24 am

Pepe wrote:
You are a theist(?)/spiritualist(?)

I don't see the relevance of this to anything you quoted.


_________________
"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling