Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

09 May 2020, 3:11 pm

Hi, all. Firstly, please, PLEASE, keep this discussion as civil as possible. We don't want ANY flame wars here. With that said.....
-----
This happened to me a few months ago. Anyone who dismisses a good website like Snopes has problems. I got brushed off by some guy when I showed some Snopes (that myth-busting/fact-checking site) info by saying "Go play devils advocate somewhere else" about the coronavirus data. UGH. What a nihilist that guy is. Someone has problems, brushing me off like that so rudely about a VERY reliable site in Snopes. A lot of people have tunnel vision, and only see one side of a news story, where are there many others that have different perspectives. Snope is one of my go-to news sources, ya know? People need to be VERY careful about where they get their news. (BTW, the guy later defriended me, and then I blocked him. UGH. I can do WITHOUT his cognitive dissonance.)

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 May 2020, 3:22 am

Confirmation bias is a hard drug. We all to some extent or another have trouble with it.

That said, I’d hope a Scopes article would at least give me pause to reconsider my views.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 4:03 pm

Yeah.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 4:20 pm

How are you "playing devils advocate" because you tried to vary his sources of information? That genuinely is confusing to me and doesn't make any sense. Did he have any sources of his own for whatever his argument was?

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 6:54 pm

^ *shrug* Guy just dismissed me like he was living in his own bubble.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 6:50 am

Quote:
The Theory of Cognitive Dissonance

The theory of cognitive dissonance proposes that people are averse to inconsistencies within their own minds. It offers one explanation for why people sometimes make an effort to adjust their thinking when their own thoughts, words, or behaviors seem to clash with each other.

When one learns new information that challenges a deeply held belief, for example, or acts in a way that seems to undercut her favorable view of herself, that person may feel motivated to somehow resolve the negative feeling that results—to restore cognitive consonance. Though a person may not always resolve cognitive dissonance, the response to it may range from ignoring the source of it to changing one’s beliefs or behavior to eliminate the conflict.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/basi ... dissonance

Quote:
Confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one’s existing beliefs. This biased approach to decision making is largely unintentional and often results in ignoring inconsistent information. Existing beliefs can include one’s expectations in a given situation and predictions about a particular outcome. People are especially likely to process information to support their own beliefs when the issue is highly important or self-relevant. https://www.britannica.com/science/confirmation-bias

Confirmation bias is a way to circumnavigate cognitive dissonance and erroneously achieve a sense of cognitive consonance.
It is a go-to for those who lack a profound depth of intellectual integrity, assuming they have the enlightenment to know better.
Then there are those who are simply incapable of connecting the conceptual building dots. 8)

Quote:
Cognitive consonance

State of harmony and internal consistency arising from compatibility among a person's attitudes, behavior, beliefs, and/or knowledge. Opposite of cognitive dissonance.

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/defin ... nance.html

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 1:10 pm

equestriatola wrote:
^ *shrug* Guy just dismissed me like he was living in his own bubble.

There's an entire echo chamber filled with people who constantly chant interlocking conspiracy theories against pretty much the entire collection of entities that are critical of the misinformation within said echo chamber. It makes it easy to dismiss pretty much anyone who cites anything on that list as a source and over time leaves them increasingly willing to swallow whatever guano the echo chamber produces because nothing skeptical can be trusted.

We've seen them on here before and will continue to.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 2:26 pm

Yeah; i've lost a Couple of So-called
Facebook Friends When the BS Goes So
Deep i corrected it with truth; Like really
'smart so-called Friends' quoting lies that
Trump Didn't Really Say 'Disinfectant' Might
Be Used to Cure the Corona of the Day. But
That's to be Expected by far by far by far side
Now Where i Live; Where 85 Percent of the
Populace Still Supports the 'Fifth
Avenue Disinfectant King';
The Lies i can pass by
until Folks
Exclaim
It's Stupid to
Walk one Way in Walmart
to Prevent Grandma or even
Small 'itching children' Now
From Taking Their Last Breath.

The Cognitive Dissonance For Folks Who Support
All About What 'Trumps' are must really be effecting them
By Now; Do or Die; The Human Brain Gets way more 'whacky'
When Do Becomes Potential Die; And Do Not Does too; For Folks
Who Invest their Entire Life in a Small Business And Watch that source
of Human Subsistence go away; They come to understand better what a
Young Single Pregnant Women With Mental Illness who is so Poor Faces in
A Choice to Continue a Pregnancy or not; True, these folks are not Different
When it comes to subsistence; many Will throw others under the Bus When it comes
Their Turn
To Face
The
Darkness
of Life; it is really
Sad when Moms and
Pops Become Expendable
Parts of Oiling the Machine
of Capitalism More; but true where
We Live The God of Money and Stuff is far side
far far King Above Any Part of Flesh and Blood Love, Overall, at least;
Of course that's What Subsistence is live or do not when 'the day' comes.
The Day is Here;
And Again People are
alike all over when the Dark
Environment comes for their choices of who stays or goes;
Truly We LiVE iN Fascinating Days to Study Human Nature;
Many Metaphors of Art Will Come in the Future to Reflect What we Learn from this.

Meh; i understand the
Complexity of the Human
Condition; The Dark and Light;
The Slippery Slopes that Make
Day or Night of the Human
Soul; But True, they
Have no
Ammunition
To make my Butt
Hurt Bad Enough
to Erase their Ignorance
From my Life as true the
Truth Breathes Easy it's Like
Light; It's Like Life; So, Easy A Way To BREaTHE FREE..:)

OG, Another Example is the Church i Attend; As A Person on the
Autism Spectrum, i realize it's vital to connect in Flesh and Blood to
Retain the Social Aspect of my Mind and Body Soul as that Pertains to
Spirit of Emotions Kept Engaged in Flesh and Blood Communication.

The Catholic Church is Big into this Myth that the Bread and Wine they
Do For Communion, Literally becomes the Real Flesh and Blood of the
Story Book Character Jesus, when they all line up to receive it from the Priest.

They Started Church Outdoors, and i was happy to hear Social Distancing Was Put
into Place; And they surely weren't sharing a Chalice of Wine; and the Priest Wasn't
Delivering the Bread to the Lips of Anyone, Just placing it in their Hands; So, i watched
the Live Stream to see how Covid19 Safe the Environment of Church Outdoors is, last Saturday.

And Oh Lord, Sure enough like Frigging Trump; He and His 'Close Cronies' were wearing
no Masks in Delivering Bread to the Mostly Gray Haired Communion of the Group who Left Their
Six-Feet-Apart-Social-Distancing to Crowd together in Line to Receive the Communion Bread then.

Trust me, if i was there, i would Do my Best to 'shame Him' In Saving the Last Crowd of Gray Haired
Folks that Will Likely even be Visiting That Church in the Future; Before He Becomes the 'Typhoid Mary Priest',
Along with His 'Cronies' Who Deliver The Bread and Potential Corona Virus too For Communion as Weeks Go by.

If He says something like Prayer is gonna keep the Virus away from him because he is special, He is a Priest;
Perhaps, i will have to Spin My Head around like that Girl on the 'Exorcist Movie' to Get A Point Across.

He Graduated in the Top Ten From A Very Large Graduating
Class from the School i attended with Him; i have to ask
Myself How much Cognitive
Dissonance is he
Experiencing
Having so much
Logic Before and
Apparently not nearly as much now.
But True, He Seems to Believe in Trump;
so that pretty much sums it up; No Logic at ALL;
But Wait! He already thinks he Can Change Bread into a Human.

It makes me wonder..
It makes me really really Wonder... Where 'these folks' even come from;
But On The Other Hand, i Write longest Long Form Epic Poem Bibles Just for the Fun of it;
And Really have Seen Real Magic Happen in my Life that Logic Will Not Explain at all;
Yes, With the Irrefutable Results of When It Happened as Photos Do Not Lie Either;
i suppose
everyone
who is
'sane'; has
some version
of 'Magical Thinking'; if they are truly Human;
Perhaps if they do not; that is when we should
really worry if they have a 'Soul'.
Play the Devil's Advocate
Enough Always and You
Might
Just
Grow Wings too....
It makes folks so happy
to get that Piece of Bread
As A Totem for Meaning and
Purpose they literally are willing
to risk their life to Receive it, now;
to them it's truly Gold Within; and
As Far As What They Feel it is as good
as Gold Alive or Dead sooner than soon;
There truly is a bit of Magic about being Human this way;
For No Matter How Nuts the Myth is; The Feelings of Bliss
that may come are real;
A Hell of
A Sugar
Pill that
Wafer of
Bread is for
Some folks in the
Only Heaven they Find each week within.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 12 May 2020, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 2:57 pm

is it really true that is repeat a lie long enough it becomes the accepted truth .
Have seen this done in murder trials by pregnant women . or Recently pregnant women.
Seen friends and relatives support outrageous lies and innuendos . In order to control those around them . Even when faced with completely obvious facts . seen the police in 2 seperate states of the USA do this aswell .. So , this creates a interesting sort of cognitive dissonance all its own .
In persons living under the results of this sort of outright dishonesty ,, Way beyond just words ...
Actions and results of actions on other groups of persons . This has never ceased to amaze me.
Usually , if your aware of these types of persons .. If your lucky you can steer clear of these persons.
watching how thoughts or statements are presnted can occassionally clue you to these types. early in your association. Mass media was initially intended to merely be entertaining , when entertaining , goes from that.... to being a expected truth than you might just beware. TV sets were devises to entertain people as were radios in the early days .. If you fail to confirm facts around your beliefs and are still open to varying opinions , You may end up finding the truth of a matter .

where ever you go ,there you are

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 4:32 am

Jakki wrote:
is it really true that is repeat a lie long enough it becomes the accepted truth .

I read somewhere recently that familiarity with an intellectual construct influences people towards accepting what is being said.
But this doesn't work on all individuals. :wink:
Those who are critical thinkers aren't usually seduced by this failing of human psychology. 8)

"There is a sucker born every minute", perhaps,
But I am not one of them, any longer. :mrgreen: