The appeal of online Incel communities to autistic men

Page 11 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 21  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 6:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How can it be true? It makes no sense at all!

I wish people would employ critical thinking.

I can't escape the sense that the conversation earlier and the impasses we ran into (which as far as I can tell never resolved, things just went quiet) puts the lie to the above.

Meaning - if you aren't seeing the baby in the bathwater, or that you're really beating up on evolutionary psychology at the same time as you're beating up on red pill (refusing to acknowledge the overlap and differences), the appeal to critical thinking might be misplaced. You might be able to beat up on the bitterness that some red pill and MGTOW have, but the ev psych content is pretty solid. You'd have to tell us how your methodologies broke that academic field of inquiry and exposed it as a sham.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:43 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well as far as the notion goes that the red pill is dehumanizing because it says that 80 percent of women only go for 20 percent of men, is that really a dehumanizing thought?

That sounds like a rather extreme assessment.
I've never looked into the "Red Pill" group.

However, :mrgreen:
I still maintain that most relationships are superficial based on life experience. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:45 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Red Pill is BS!

That 80-20 garbage needs to be put in the Dumpster!

But what if it were actually True?
(Not saying it is.)
Would you censor that Truth? :chin:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:48 pm

ironpony wrote:
I wouldn't know if the 80/20 thing is true and was giving people the benefit of the doubt on that. But when I read on how the red pill is misogynistic, I don't see how it can be in terms of the 80/20 rule

Saying a lot of women are picky is misogynistic? Couldn't they take that as a compliment in a way?

Being *discriminating* is a valid choice for *every* individual, be they male, female, or gender diverse.
How can people not see this? :scratch:
Are we individuals or programmed robots? 8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
How can it be true? It makes no sense at all!

I wish people would employ critical thinking.

The 80/20 thing insults women's intelligence. Makes them seem like they are slaves to animal instinct.

From an evolutionary perspective, selecting a mate who will benefit/advance the survival rate and well being of the offspring is a very rational consideration.
Just ask Sheldon Cooper. 8)

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 7:57 pm

Pepe wrote:

Here's a sample of science and philosophy talk about that,

Free Will: Now You Have It, Now You Don’t
By Dennis Overbye
Jan. 2, 2007
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/science/02free.html

Philosophy, Science
Science Hasn’t Refuted Free Will
A growing chorus says that science has shown free will to be an illusion. But it actually has offered arguments in its favor.
Christian List
February 6, 2020
https://bostonreview.net/articles/chris ... free-will/

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 8:30 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Here's a sample of science and philosophy talk about that,

Free Will: Now You Have It, Now You Don’t
By Dennis Overbye
Jan. 2, 2007
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/02/science/02free.html

Philosophy, Science
Science Hasn’t Refuted Free Will
A growing chorus says that science has shown free will to be an illusion. But it actually has offered arguments in its favor.
Christian List
February 6, 2020
https://bostonreview.net/articles/chris ... free-will/

This is a "Rabbit Hole" I don't have the mental energy for, at this moment.
Let me just say, *context* is vital in a discussion such as this. 8)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2022, 11:54 pm

But if the 80/20 thing is BS, then how come online most of the people who complain about how hard it is to date, are guys? Even on here as well as other sites, it seems that guys complain more than women. I don't mean complain as a negative connotation, as I do wish people luck in dating all the time. But it seems that guys complain a lot more about it online, in comparison, unless I am wrong?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:29 am

The fact that "red pill" is such a lazy, self-aggrandizing metaphor--inspired by an unoriginal movie--is a pretty strong red flag.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 4:38 am

HighLlama wrote:
The fact that "red pill" is such a lazy, self-aggrandizing metaphor--inspired by an unoriginal movie--is a pretty strong red flag.

The Matrix is a great movie and has a lot of valid metaphors for those who have a bit of life experience. 8)

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 5:50 am

ironpony wrote:
But if the 80/20 thing is BS, then how come online most of the people who complain about how hard it is to date, are guys? Even on here as well as other sites, it seems that guys complain more than women. I don't mean complain as a negative connotation, as I do wish people luck in dating all the time. But it seems that guys complain a lot more about it online, in comparison, unless I am wrong?

Shh! You're letting the truth out. That's a doubleplusungood crimethink. Do you want the Thought Police to arrest you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:07 am

If the 80/20 thing is true, I wouldn’t censor it.

But it’s not.

I’m far from being in the “top 20%” of men. I don’t have any of the “sixes.” No six figure income, no six pack abs. I didn’t drive until 1998, at age 37. Didn’t own a car until 2012, at age 51.

I would be considered in the bottom 50% based upon “evolutionary biology.” Maybe bottom 40%. Maybe even lower. I’m just under 5 foot 5, and am slightly overweight. My personality, at best, is “cute.” I might be a “sigma” male, though with silly characteristics.

Yet I’ve had many relationships.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

25 May 2022, 6:23 am

ironpony wrote:
Well as far as the notion goes that the red pill is dehumanizing because it says that 80 percent of women only go for 20 percent of men, is that really a dehumanizing thought?
It's dehumanising and misogynistic because it reduces "women" to the level of programmable, predictable robots whose sole purpose is to be graded and categorised to satisfy sexual urges.

kraftiekortie wrote:
The 80/20 thing insults women's intelligence. Makes them seem like they are slaves to animal instinct.
Exactly.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2022, 6:29 am

Cornflake wrote:
ironpony wrote:
It's dehumanising and misogynistic because it reduces "women" to the level of programmable, predictable robots whose sole purpose is to be graded and categorised to satisfy sexual urges.
And it similarily reduces men to mere commodities sorted by their "sexual market value".

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:46 am

magz wrote:
And it similarily reduces men to mere commodities

Employers and advertisers have already reduced men to mere commodities so why should women contradict the obvious preference of society?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 6:58 am

Oh okay I thought that when people said that 80% of women prefer 20% of men I thought they meant that women were going for more in those 20% of men than just sex.