The appeal of online Incel communities to autistic men

Page 15 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 21  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:02 pm

I don't know too many "Machiavellian" sorts of people. I don't go in those circles. I'm plain-spoken. I'm not planning to usurp a kingdom. Neither are most women in my circle. But then....I don't have much of a "circle." Maybe I'm not experienced enough?

There are aspects of "humanity" which are bad-----and there are aspects of "humanity" which are good. I see, and I read up on the world around me. Much of it is not good. But I don't see anything wrong with seeking pleasure in life, as long as I'm not imposing myself upon others. I'm not going to deny myself an ice cream soda because of world events. I don't believe a person in Burundi going through a hard time would think it makes sense for an American to deny his/herself an ice cream soda because of the lot of the Burundian person.

What is the "Red Queen" aspect of our biology? Never heard of that.

Make what you will of what I write. That's all I can say. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some sort of vitriol back. But hey----that's life----you can't please the world.

We're two different people. We can't agree on everything.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:04 pm

↑↑ Those "statistics" seem to have been taken from YouTube videos in which people described their experiences using Tinder or other dating apps.  In reality, those "statistics" might be more equitable.  Ad-hoc "statistics" derived from personal experiences with dating apps and social media platforms should never be trusted.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
magz wrote:
We are not mental health professionals here.
I know this.  That's why I said we shouldn't be correcting their perceptions of the world.  If anything, we should suggest that they get mental health support.
If Alex ever comes back to this site, then maybe a moderator could suggest that he put a disclaimer on the log-in page with words to that effect.

People have criticized me for stating, "No one on this website can render a valid diagnosis.  You would be better off to consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional."  Now I see that something like this is being encouraged.  Have people grown wiser on their own, or did I finally get through to them?

There's a difference between having a reciprocal and mature dialogue, recommending mental health services with sincerity (depending on the situation or even the subforum), or being sarcastic. I don't mean you specifically Fnord. I'm just making an observation about the way some people say "seek the services of a professional" or "you need a shrink!", whether on this website or in "the real world".

This is PPR but that doesn't mean we can't still listen to each other and show respect for people's POV. A post expressing personal upset doesn't have to be in The Haven for the rest of us to demonstrate respect. This is still a support site overall, and we all have issues with interpersonal communication. We all feel alienated from society to some extent, which is even reflected in the name "wrong planet".

In my opinion members should be able to discuss their point of view on topics which are political, religious, or philosophical without being invalidated or having others suggest their feelings are wrong. Statistics and data can be wrong, of course.
Our emotional response to that data might even be "wrong" on some level, but we should still be kind to one another and have patience when addressing another person's feelings about alienation. As we've learned yet again (in Texas), the result of invalidation can be disastrous, especially for those who feel unheard.

Debate is very common in this subforum but it's still a place for learning about different points of view pertaining to politics, religion, and philosophy. I've seen this same topic in The Haven over the years and unfortunately members have been mocked and bullied there as much as they've been roasted elsewhere. The climate in The Haven is much better now so I agree it's a safer place for sharing emotional pain. That doesn't mean people can't discuss the socio-political aspects of incel in PPR, or that they can't still have an emotional reaction either way.

Of course I don't want to see women mischaracterised and judged by any group of people. Likewise I don't want to see people who feel disenfranchised from society being mischaracterised or judged by people who brush them aside or jump to conclusions about their intent. Education comes through learning and appreciating other people's point-of-view whether we agree with it or not. That doesn't always need to culminate in an argument, or sending someone to psychiatry.

I think this thread seems like it's started a good dialogue and people are beginning to have more of a meaningful conversation, instead of panicking when they see the word "Incel".

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 2:10 pm

To be clear I wasn't mad at you as a person, rather I just saw something happening - you were getting high on your own supply and censorious (you said it yourself that you were 'censoring') on a topic that admitted made no sense to you, and you tied it with a bow when you then said you were fighting against lack of 'critical thinking'. At least one out of the three doesn't belong with the others otherwise it's a self-sealed disaster.

My whole point was to say that what MGTOW and red pill are is dumbed down or sexed-up (commercially speaking) evolutionary psychology, ie. it's 'pop' evolutionary psychology sold to the crowd most likely to buy it.

I also lay no claim to know what your experiences are and I wasn't trying to belittle them. I was just confused when you were constantly pulling the discussion off topic to talk about my relationship life and status. That seemed to strongly suggest that if I was in a relationship I wouldn't be seeing any of this, and then you kept along the same line of reasoning - it isn't something that I needed to stretch or misrepresent.

Whether I like or dislike people on here I'm still calling them out on things like this. Technically if I like someone I'm probably more likely to call them out because I usually have some faith that they actually care deep down whether their participation in a thread is up to their own standards.

I sort of gave it to Pepe a week ago in a different thread when I felt I was getting a loaded reaction on a given topic. I don't hate him either, I was just dealing with the situation in real time.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:33 pm

The whole thing is:

What you were "calling me out" on----wasn't something that I was doing.

I believe you had mentioned that you were having difficulty sustaining relationships, so I alluded to that. I don't judge people on how they "sustain relationships." I didn't "sustain" many myself.

I still don't believe those ideologies are viable to my situation. They don't work for me. They're based on some truth---but I find that pushing headlong into a belief in these ideologies would stymie me, ultimately.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 3:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The whole thing is:

What you were "calling me out" on----wasn't something that I was doing.

To be fair it seems you admittedly didn't realize you were doing it, it's just that you did it three or four times almost in a row (shifting the conversation to 'you'll be able to find someone' when it had no relationship to what you were quoting).

kraftiekortie wrote:
I believe you had mentioned that you were having difficulty sustaining relationships, so I alluded to that. I don't judge people on how they "sustain relationships." I didn't "sustain" many myself.

I didn't say much about that, just that I was finding that building the sort of rapport I'd need with the people around me to even get my environments working - let alone date in those environments - wasn't working well because quite often they weren't the types of people I could build that rapport with, and I was making the argument that there's a lot complexity to this for the guys involved. Clearly it's much better, if they've gotten stuck in a bitter place, to find a way out of that place but I don't necessarily think they need to stop believing what's true in order to do that.

kraftiekortie wrote:
I still don't believe those ideologies are viable to my situation. They don't work for me. They're based on some truth---but I find that pushing headlong into a belief in these ideologies would stymie me, ultimately.
I think with MGTOW, ie. Men Going Their Own Way, it was sort of like 'Oh, they're talking about what I've already been doing for years' - ie. just working on myself, living my own life, and not selling myself short. Some of the guys never stop talking about women and IMHO they're rather boring because if a guy is doing that - IMHO - they're still stuck on women and they didn't do such a hot job of 'going their own way'.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 5:26 pm

Fnord wrote:
People have criticized me for stating, "No one on this website can render a valid diagnosis.  You would be better off to consult an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional."  Now I see that something like this is being encouraged.  Have people grown wiser on their own, or did I finally get through to them?

Some posters from back then are gone, and other people have replaced them?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 5:41 pm

I feel excluded.

I want to join an online incel community.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
20% of men are supposed to be "alpha males," according to that theory.

I am happy being the "Omega man" fighting the hoards of mutants in society. 8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:17 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
I feel excluded.

That could be fun - specifying identity as a female incel, explicitly, not a femcel.

That does make me wonder as well if there's an LGBTQ+ equivalent, it would be an interesting perspective.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:19 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
I feel excluded.

That could be fun - specifying identity as a female incel, explicitly, not a femcel.

Yes, exactly. I’m an openly female incel.

Which is the best online incel community? I’m not interested in a second-rate one.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 25 May 2022, 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I ever tried to act "alpha," I'd be laughed off the stage.

I'd laugh *myself* "off the stage".
I did it for a girlfriend, once, but only as a joke.
She was disappointed that I didn't continue the act. lol

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

My beta male looked like this.

He was a pretty good kisser.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:20 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Yes, exactly.

Which is the best online incel community? I’m not interested in a second-rate one.

FIIK. I don't do that.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:20 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Yes, exactly.

FIIK. I don't do that.

That’s disappointing.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2022, 8:28 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I find it ironic.

On one thread we have people trying to figure out why a young man with mental health problems and described as a "loner" shot up a school. People wonder why no one saw red flags and why he didn't get mental health support prior to the crime.

On this thread, we have men expressing clear frustration pertaining to their mental health, saying they find it hard to be accepted socially, yet members are telling them they're wrong. I haven't seen anyone sympathise with the posters or suggest appropriate mental health services, if desired and necessary.

I'm not suggesting that anyone on this thread or attracted to an Incel mindset would become violent, but I wish we were all more accepting of people when they do express a cry for help.

Agreed.
Life is more complicated than some people think. 8)