The appeal of online Incel communities to autistic men

Page 17 of 21 [ 332 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
. . . I find that people sharing similar experiences is very helpful.
People seem to be offended by that, too.  It is as if I, having related to them how I overcame similar experiences that have overcome them, have somehow deliberately made their situation worse; as in, "It's your fault I am depressed and want to kill myself".

So they do not want advice, and they do not want to know how to overcome; but they will suck up all the "thoughts and prayers" and empty praise they can get.

Not from me, though; not any more.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 4:48 pm

A lot of assumptions about the incel community. Does anyone actually know what they believe/who they are/ or where they meet?

journalists try and spy on 4Chan and 8chan to get their intel but surely there are other online groups in local areas/chapters.

Loneliness and disconnection is an experience many teenagers go through, the challenge for parents is to ensure their sons don't get caught in the toxic rabbit hole of incel beliefs when they are at their most vulnerable.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 7:28 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A lot of assumptions about the incel community. Does anyone actually know what they believe/who they are/ or where they meet?

journalists try and spy on 4Chan and 8chan to get their intel but surely there are other online groups in local areas/chapters.

Loneliness and disconnection is an experience many teenagers go through, the challenge for parents is to ensure their sons don't get caught in the toxic rabbit hole of incel beliefs when they are at their most vulnerable.

Parents need to encourage their kids to think critically to avoid getting caught up in toxic belief systems, no matter their gender.

Not that this is necessarily parents’ fault.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
. . . I find that people sharing similar experiences is very helpful.
People seem to be offended by that, too.  It is as if I, having related to them how I overcame similar experiences that have overcome them, have somehow deliberately made their situation worse; as in, "It's your fault I am depressed and want to kill myself".

So they do not want advice, and they do not want to know how to overcome; but they will suck up all the "thoughts and prayers" and empty praise they can get.

Not from me, though; not any more.[/color]

It may not seem like it, but you and I think in a similar way about many things.

One of the differences is that you come across as lecturing rather than relating at times.
My attitude is usually to share experiences whereas you often have the seeming attitude of imparting knowledge, more often than not.

I will still *share*, but I don't expect people will be influenced by it.

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: One, but the lightbulb has got to want to change. :mrgreen:

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:42 pm

Pepe wrote:
You're thinking "psychotherapists", the dumb, useless losers wasting their patients' time.

A psychiatrist would give the light bulb a magic pill to turn it into an LED, so it almost never needs changing. :D 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:46 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Parents need to encourage their kids to think critically to avoid getting caught up in toxic belief systems, no matter their gender.

Also, consider:
The male brain doesn't physically mature until around the age of 25.
Before this age, the more primitive aspects of the brain often have greater dominance than the prefrontal cortex.

I would like to know the age demographics of the incel community group.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 9:47 pm

Aspie1 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You're thinking "psychotherapists", the dumb, useless losers wasting their patients' time.

A psychiatrist would give the light bulb a magic pill to turn it into an LED, so it almost never needs changing. :D 8)

Nope.
I had a great psychiatrist who talked me through the horror I was living. 8)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:31 pm

cyberdad wrote:

This is one thing I have noticed about the incel community, is that if you look at people who post online about being incels and see their pictures, they are quite young looking, and the ones who have committed terrorist acts as a result. But I wonder why older guys do not post about it near as much? Are they just use to it?

But also, women like older guys more often anyway, because they are more established. So why can't they teach guys in school for example, or in general, that they will get more action and intimacy when they are more established, when they are older anyway?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:52 pm

ironpony wrote:
But also, women like older guys more often anyway, because they are more established. So why can't they teach guys in school for example, or in general, that they will get more action and intimacy when they are more established, when they are older anyway?
Nobody wants to wait until they're "older" :roll:, which could be decades away. My own therapist once told me how my life will get better after I'm 30---I was 12 at the time. All it inspired me to do was to take up drinking and get serious about committing suicide; I struggle with an alcohol habit to this day, and I'm 39.

If educating young men about the Red Pill hurts the feminists' feeeeelings too much, perhaps it's more cost-effective in the long run to just give each of them $500 and a plane ticket to Las Vegas, where they can see a legal prostitute and get their rocks off.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 10:59 pm

Oh I am so sorry to hear that! I hope you are okay now!

But as for the red pill seeming sexist to some, don't a lot of women have their own belief version of the red pill in a sense, in that they believe that 80 percent of men suck, which is kind of like a woman's version of the red pill?

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:02 pm

ironpony wrote:
But as for the red pill seeming sexist to some, don't a lot of women have their own belief version of the red pill in a sense, in that they believe that 80 percent of men suck, which is kind of like a woman's version of the red pill?
Yes, women have it: it's their own evolutionary instincts. Which feminists say are OK, but men's aren't.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:06 pm

Yeah and it seems that women may have their own version of the black pill too, but as far as possible sexism goes, it seems to even out on both sides, at least to me. I don't know if I consider myself 'dehumanized' by women's version of the red pill.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:23 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

True, although female mass shooters are rare
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... t-by-women

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:29 pm

ironpony wrote:
So why can't they teach guys in school for example, or in general, that they will get more action and intimacy when they are more established, when they are older anyway?

I think Pepe answered this as the male brain takes longer to mature and when you are a horny teenage boy the level of sexual frustration is overwhelming. They see classmates humping each other and of course teenage boys like to gloat/boast about their sexual exploits (a lot of it of course exaggerated) which has the impact of making teenage boys not able to get a date feel inadequate.

A lot of young men can't see a light at the end of the tunnel so a) they become anxious which only makes them more frustrated and b) that means it's difficult to teach them patience. For many masturbation is not enough. They ask the question...what is wrong with me? This really dents self-confidence and I'm afraid girls smell low self-esteem from a mile away.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

True, although female mass shooters are rare
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... t-by-women

That's true.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2022, 11:54 pm

cyberdad wrote:
ironpony wrote:
So why can't they teach guys in school for example, or in general, that they will get more action and intimacy when they are more established, when they are older anyway?

I think Pepe answered this as the male brain takes longer to mature and when you are a horny teenage boy the level of sexual frustration is overwhelming. They see classmates humping each other and of course teenage boys like to gloat/boast about their sexual exploits (a lot of it of course exaggerated) which has the impact of making teenage boys not able to get a date feel inadequate.

A lot of young men can't see a light at the end of the tunnel so a) they become anxious which only makes them more frustrated and b) that means it's difficult to teach them patience. For many masturbation is not enough. They ask the question...what is wrong with me? This really dents self-confidence and I'm afraid girls smell low self-esteem from a mile away.

Good points.