Can conspiracy theorists, sometimes be too stubborn?

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 3:35 pm

ironpony wrote:
Could it also be that some people just really hate government and hate authority, so this makes conspiracy theories much more easier for them to believe, as a result?

Another example is my sister, who believes that fluoride doesn't do any good for your teeth and that it's all a hoax. But her kids have had a lot of cavities over the years now, probably cause she doesn't get them to brush with fluoride. The dentist even advised her to give her kids fluoride toothpaste if she wants their teeth to improve, but she won't do it, and doesn't believe it.

I didn't say this to her, but I felt like asking "what did a dentist do to you that was so abusive, that it caused you to conjure up this delusion?". Or maybe it's just distrust of government?

If you want a really rough, unpolished estimate of human weaknesses, almost constitutional rejection of reason, and want to understand it in terms of OCEAN (five factor personality model), fast vs. slow life models (essentially r vs. K selection strategies), and the scarier / more dismal side of it - possible genetic components, there's a channel on Youtube by 'Dr. Ed Dutton / Jolly Heretic' that gets into that kind of thing.

I think your right in that if it were a simple distrust that doesn't seem like it's enough to engender irrational beliefs. What seems to happen then is that people who have a bad enough foundation (ie. early childhood divorce, neurotic parents, inherited neurosis, etc.) are in such a difficult place quite often psychology for staying alive that they need to round out the differences by projecting make-believe onto the world around them and that includes beliefs like the notion that people are fundamentally good, ideas that human evil would go away if x type of person or human activity could be removed from the human condition permanently by declaring and winning a 'war on x', and whether they go more toward fantasy to solve their problems like becoming Zacharias Sitchin or Celestine Prophesy nuts or whether they end up becoming radical left-wingers (or alt/far right) of some type is probably some combination of formative life experiences, genes, and where they shake out in the OCEAN model where the higher in trait neurosis they are the more likely it is that they'll be political authoritarians and need to force the rest of the world into conforming to their own standards.

Essentially this is not something that happy and well-adjusted people get trapped in and if they find their way in by accident or just enough contingencies hitting them at once they'll normally explore it, find it less consistent with reality than their previous beliefs, and leave relatively soon after.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 3:46 pm

Sometimes? It's more like they're too stubborn ALL the time. They make me absolutely sick and I cannot stand them nor can I stand the people who follow and believe their BS. :x

Apparently the government has some mind-control device in the masks people are wearing to protect themselves from covid-19 that are turning them into mindless sheep. I've been wearing handmade reusable masks so I guess I don't have anything to worry about.

I've heard that *some* theories have turned out to be true, but that doesn't mean all of them are true. And most of the people who claim they are in severe need of having their brains examined.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 11:07 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay thanks for all the info, this is all very insightful.

Could it also be that some people just really hate government and hate authority, so this makes conspiracy theories much more easier for them to believe, as a result?

Another example is my sister, who believes that fluoride doesn't do any good for your teeth and that it's all a hoax. But her kids have had a lot of cavities over the years now, probably cause she doesn't get them to brush with fluoride. The dentist even advised her to give her kids fluoride toothpaste if she wants their teeth to improve, but she won't do it, and doesn't believe it.

I didn't say this to her, but I felt like asking "what did a dentist do to you that was so abusive, that it caused you to conjure up this delusion?". Or maybe it's just distrust of government?

You aren't dismissing the possibility of there being valid conspiracies, are you?

BTW,
Could you give your definition of a "Conspiracy Theory"?

Down with big business!...Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2020, 2:57 am

Oh my definition would be a theory where a group of people have conspired a secret plot, and then tried to make it look like something else, if that makes sense.

No I am not dismissing valid ones, I don't think. I mean there is watergate for example, which is a valid one. I just think that the moonlanding, and OJ Simpson and 9/11 are far-fetched and do not get why some people believe in them so highly, unless it's just paranoia of government, or something of that sort?