Trump's threat of invoking Insurrection Act

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 7:12 pm

Under what circumstances would invocation of the Insurrection Act be necessary? Apparently, it's supposed to be invoked in case of insurrections that threaten the country's ability to enforce laws.

I think Trump plans on politicizing the event (i.e. taking advantage of/abusing his power for political gain). After all, the 2020 general elections are coming up and you-know-who desperately wants the vote. I also think he would politicize deploying the military to suck up to his favorite autocrats.

[sarcasm] So apparently we're becoming a military dictatorship now? Excellent. [/sarcasm]

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 7:26 pm

He wants to use tanks against protesters. Tienanmen Square 2.0

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 7:30 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
He wants to use tanks against protesters.
Clearly, there must be some underlying implications to this, right??

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 10:34 pm

All Four Men Have Been Charged Now;
And Chauvin's Murder Charge is Upgraded to Second Degree;
Chances Are After the Memorial Service And This Justice coming Now;
The Worst of the Extreme Rioting And Looting Will Be over; Just my Opinion, of Course.
If Those other Three Men Were not Charged; that could have made More Fuel for the Fire.
Trump Just Likes to Pretend He is Powerful As Stalin, Mussolini, And Hitler on A Stage;
Sooner or later, He Will Blow Over too. At this Point, There is No Justification for Using
Military Force; The National Guard If Need be will handle it; or the Existing Police
Forces as again, after the Memorial Service, Folks will likely Run Out of Fuel;
As The Point has surely been made; and Justice at least in this one case;
But of course there is always the Possibility of A New Injustice and
Cause for Change; Lots of People on the 'Bottom of The Food
Chain are Hurting; They Are Hot for A Purpose in Life;
Where will they find it now without a Job? Yes, The
Environment is Ripe Overall for a Hot Summer of
Discontent. Soon, The Answer Will be a Wait for What's Next.
It's like the COVID19 Thingie; The News Cycle can only really handle
About One Catastrophe through the Day; People are similar as well;
Limits; Anyway, Hurricane Season is Starting Early With Record Breakers too
in terms of Early Third Storm Cristobal; i suppose that's One Good Thing about
Living in Florida; Trump Cannot Afford to Lose this State; when it comes to Hurricane
Disasters; on top of what i understand now with India's Locus Plague is a New Invasion
of Large Toads in a Frog Plague coming to the United States too; There is too much Potential
For Chaos to Use Manpower unwisely; but of course, We Have truly A Fool As President; nothing
will Surprise me; unless He puts on some Angel Wings; Meanwhile, He's Dragging A Long Tale of Lies.
So F in
Disgusting;
So Much Worse
Than Any Reality
Show on 'Elm Street';
Penny Wise Penny Wise
'Orange Penny Wise' go back to 'Your Gutter'...
That Will Give Him An Opportunity to Read that
Book He Was Holding Up At Church to Convince His Base
to continue to Visit Him 'on Fifth Avenue'; Just Yuck; Yuck Yuck Trump.
We LiVE iN Very Interesting Days; Staying Out of the 'Fray' is becoming a bit
More like Dancing
A Tight Rope
For
Real..:)

https://www.mediaite.com/news/move-over ... s-in-2020/

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:44 am

Aspiegaming wrote:

No just the military police.
Though I do think tanks would get the message to stop rioting across fast

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

sly279 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
No, just the military police.  Though I do think tanks would get the message to stop rioting across fast.
So would a few Armored Personnel Carriers with water-cannon turrets...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 11:45 am

I also think that Trump sees the protests as an insurrection. He sees them as a threat to his power, which he desperately wants more of.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:08 pm

warrier120 wrote:
I also think that Trump sees the protests as an insurrection. He sees them as a threat to his power, which he desperately wants more of.
You may be right. He may also see them as opportunities to show how tough he can be on dissenters, while blaming the liberal media (and Obama, or course) for any subsequent deaths or injuries that occur to the protesters.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:10 pm

What could they really do,fire on a crowd,the military has the capacity for deadly force and that's about it.The police are better equipped for practical crowd control,with an assortment of non lethal force at there disposal.Things would have to get much much worse for even Trump to bring in the military.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:19 pm

Are we going to do a Nazi/Stormtrooper March, then?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 12:29 pm

I feel bad for people living in riot ravaged communities. I feel bad for both the people in said communities that are against the destruction of their community and also for the people that actually support the destruction of their own communities as incomprehensible as that is to me.

One of the reasons I feel bad for them is that it's entirely probable that many destroyed businesses, businesses that provide necessary support to the community won't come back. If you were a small business owner in such a community, would you be eager to rebuild your business with the very real potential that it could be destroyed in the future in the same way? I expect commercial property insurance rates to increase markedly in such areas making it all the more difficult for small business owners to operate.

It's sad that a result of the protests/riots for a lot of communities will be an example of the adage: "Shooting yourself in the foot."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 2:04 pm

My grandparents used to tell me about a neighborhood on the north side of Lansing, where all the houses were built by auto workers in the 1910s and 1920s.  They said that everything was fine until the local "Ma & Pa" stores kept getting burglarized and robbed.  The owners were forced to close shop and relocate, leaving no places for the locals to buy essentials.  Then the locals started moving away, leaving behind a lot of empty buildings and families too poor to move.  If it had not been for the Michigan School for the Blind moving in, the area would still be a blighted slum.  As it is, gentrification did not start to take hold until the mid-1990s.

When entertainment and retail establishments move out, there is no incentive for people to stick around or move in.  This is what I expect to happen in places where the smaller retail stores were looted and burned.

Tomatoes
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jun 2020, 2:28 pm

warrier120 wrote:

There's is a fringe theory, that is unfortunately quite popular, that the Earth is entering the fifth dimension. Thee theory says, also, that those who will not be able to sustain the new vibrations will eventually die and reincarnate on another planet somewhere to continue their lives, to continue learning until they will be able to sustain enough vibrations to upscale to 5D.

Notwithstanding whether it's true or false, I think it would be a great service to everyone to explain this theory to the rioters.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
No, just the military police.  Though I do think tanks would get the message to stop rioting across fast.
So would a few Armored Personnel Carriers with water-cannon turrets...

The tanks wouldn’t be allowed to shoot nor would they have to.
Their presence would be enough same as a f22 flying over an embassy is enough most of the time.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:26 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
What could they really do,fire on a crowd,the military has the capacity for deadly force and that's about it.The police are better equipped for practical crowd control,with an assortment of non lethal force at there disposal.Things would have to get much much worse for even Trump to bring in the military.

Military has thousands and thousands of police and its them thst he put on standby for use,

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2020, 3:32 pm

sly279 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

No just the military police.
Though I do think tanks would get the message to stop rioting across fast

Nothing would reinforce the need to protest police brutality than increasing the level of brutality police inflict. One would need to respond with shaped-charge IEDs to neutralize the tanks and their crews and it would 100% justify ending the life of the violent dictator who's ordered their use by any means necessary.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う