Page 2 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 7:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Remember Communism? ...
... the "woke" generation doesn't remember and doesn't care.  Presentism is their guiding world view.
... and any claim that conflicts with their perspective is dismissed as "Boomerism".

Just like any claim that conflicts with what Donald Trump says is fake news.

Got it.

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 7:22 pm

We’re in the dawn of a high-tech, bloodless Cultural Revolution; one that relies on intimidation, public shaming, and economic ruin to dictate what words and ideas are permissible in the public square.

“Words are violence” has always been an illiberal notion meant to stifle speech and open discourse. Popularized by a generation of coddled and brittle college students, it now guides policy on editorial pages at newspapers such as the Philadelphia Inquirer, the New York Times, and most major news outlets.

Michael Kinsley once wrote — back in the days when liberals were running our journalistic institutions — that “if no one or almost no one disagrees, it also is probably not a good subject for an editorial.” By contrast, the new Times opinion editor, Kathleen Kingsbury, reportedly told the staff, “Anyone who sees any piece of Opinion journalism, headlines, social posts, photos — you name it — that gives you the slightest pause, please call or text me immediately.”

At root, our cultural revolutionaries are frightened of ideas. Virtually anyone in the public square who doesn’t conform risks being humiliated and ruined. Social media have finally given our “little generals” the tools to ferret out suspicious characters and drag them in front of the digital tribunal. By my count, there have been around a dozen struggle sessions for crimes against Black Lives Matter or related issues since last week.

“Dee Nguyen has been fired from MTV sports reality show, ‘The Challenge,’ after making insensitive comments about the Black Lives Matter movement,” reads one story.

Sacramento Kings play-by-play announcer Grant Napear, who’s been calling games since 1988, was forced to resign after saying the words “all lives matter.”

Refinery29 editor Christene Barberich was pushed out for alleged “racist aggressions” (even the wording of the accusations has a mildly Communist flavor). Bon Appétit editor Adam Rapoport was booted for the same, but only after “insensitive” photos of him wearing a costume emerged.

In not one of these cases, as far as I can tell, did friends and co-workers rise to defend those whose careers may have been ruined over a bad joke, errant comment, or stupid costume. No, they participate in the ritual shaming along with everyone else.

By the time you read this, Saints quarterback Drew Brees will probably be on his tenth round of ritual public self-flagellation — his wife having already apologized as well — for saying the words: “I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.”

Without an apology, we’re told, Brees would have been unable to work with teammates who are offended because there is no room for dissent on this issue. Brees promises to “listen.” Brees implores all of America to “listen.” “Listen” is a euphemism for groupthink.

In a free and healthy nation, no issue should be above criticism or debate.

Source: Welcome to America’s Cultural Revolution

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 11:20 am

THEIR LUNACY HAS NOW EXTENDED TO NICKELODEAON

Times critic Amanda Hess penned a piece on Wednesday titled, "The Protests Come for ‘Paw Patrol,'" and the criticism that the popular children's show has faced in recent days for its main character Chase, a German shepherd police dog, and how that and other shows are deemed "copaganda" for portraying the police in a positive light.

"It was only a matter of time before the protests came for 'Paw Patrol,'" Hess began. "In the world of 'Paw Patrol,' Chase is drawn to be a very good boy who barks stuff like 'Chase is on the case!' and 'All in a police pup’s day!' as he rescues kittens in his tricked-out S.U.V."

Hess then pointed to the responses to a tweet the show had posted, expressing solidarity toward the Black Lives Matter movement and calling for "Black voices to be heard."

Other Twitter users, however, were not satisfied.

“Euthanize the police dog,” one user said. Others wrote “Defund the paw patrol” and “All dogs go to heaven, except the class traitors in the Paw Patrol."

"How much will Paw Patrol be donating to bail funds?" another user asked.

Hess herself suggested that she was among the "Paw Patrol" haters
, referring to the show as a "pet peeve" and tweeting, perhaps sarcastically, "I don't want to bring a child into a world where Paw Patrol is available to stream."

The fact, though, that there was any outrage toward "Paw Patrol" sounded the alarms on social media.

"I give up. Game over, man. Game over. Last one out turn out the lights. We've gone to plaid," The Hill media reporter Joe Concha reacted with a reference to the 1987 Mel Brooks film "Spaceballs."

"The rage mob is coming for PAW PATROL," conservative radio host Dana Loesch warned.

"I’m sorry, I refuse to believe this is the New York Times, and not The Onion," Fourth Watch media critic Steve Krakauer tweeted.

This comes as Paramount Network canceled the long-running TV series "Cops" and A&E Network decided to "cease production" on "Live P.D.," according to Variety.

HBO Max also drew criticism for pulling the iconic Civil War-era film "Gone With the Wind" from its library due to its depiction of black people. The streaming platform says the film will be re-uploaded once the Oscar-winning film is given "historical context."

Reported outrage toward Nickelodeon cartoon 'Paw Patrol' sparks wild reactions online.

This all sounds like mob rule! Which sounds a lot like the bullying many Aspies endure in their school years.

I wonder what kind of cartoons Amanda Hess watched when she was growing up.

Maybe something like this.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2020, 8:30 pm

I think that woke is such a stupid word. I'll also be happy when the woke movement is over. Woke people like to demonise right wing people such as myself and I think that's wrong to do to anyone.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:37 am

Ridiculing people by calling them "woke" is an easy way to trivialize what these people are trying to say. The only justification might be that some of them are merely parroting what they hear their friends say or the assumption that if and when they become productive tax-paying members of society they will abandon their youthful ideals and embrace the same prejudices as everybody else. But we've seen all that before and it's a waste of everybody's time to keep repeating these old chestnuts of wisdom.

However the message is very relevant. Admittedly I am American so my point of view may not make sense to somebody in another Western country, but today it seems quite clear to me that racism in particular has caused much if not most of the problems that continue to vex us. The Black Lives Matter message is an excellent distillation of that. As a 67-year-old, I can recall that, even during the reputedly idealistic 60s very few white people like me had any real idea what it was like to be black, even an economically "successful" black person. When black activists put forward the idea of studying Black History in school, very few whites, even self-described liberals, took it seriously. Nowadays I sincerely regret not having learned very much black history because in fact it is the most important part of American history in general. Tulsa Massacre, anyone? Never heard of it until quite recently. Yes, that's how ignorant we all were.

The War on Drugs was largely driven by racism. I won't try to explain that conclusion, but I'll say that many of our cities were seriously damaged and some perhaps destroyed by this. We would do well to not only surrender but perhaps even consider reparations of some sort.

As for Capitalism, this is a complicated topic. I am far from being a Marxist however the long-held commitment to laissez-faire Capitalism in the US just isn't working, so I am willing to try a new approach even if it seems more extreme than my personal preference.

I'm not sure whether or not it's relevant, but my impression of how the US and some other Western countries have dealt with the current Pandemic is that our societies are no longer able to effectively deal with a threat like that. I would argue that our present-day society would not have been able to win World War II. The widespread acceptance of Libertarianism and Objectivism has crippled our ability to cooperate in such a struggle. To put it bluntly, in World War II the dictatorships attacked the Democratic world and the forces of Democracy prevailed. In today's world, I think the dictatorships would probably win. Therefore I am more than happy to support people being as "woke" as they wish to be.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:44 am

They're mostly NT and don't get satire/irony as much as I do :roll:
They're taking down an episode of Fawlty Towers cos it has racism in it...
Trouble is, the racist was the butt of the joke!

Also got people telling me not to read Lolita. Imo it's ok for any adult to read Lolita unless they're already on their way to being abusers. Cos although it's from the POV of Humbert Humbert, it makes it clear that he's an unreliable narrator.

People need to learn to analyse jokes and fiction better.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:56 am

KT67 wrote:

My wife in particular enjoys watching old American sitcoms but at times I have a hard time with them because so much of the humor is based on widely-held stereotypes that seem so racist to me today that it's painful for me to see people using them as a basis for jokes. John Cleese first gained fame in the US from "Monty Python's Flying Circus" which was probably more popular in the US than in the UK (it's my understanding quite a few British didn't like that show at all). It's hard for me to believe that any of his work should be suppressed for being racist. This is one advantage I think Americans have, that we have a more nuanced understanding of racism and are less prone to such a knee-jerk reaction. OTOH I haven't seen this episode so I don't really know what I'm talking about :lol:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:59 am

KT67 wrote:

Also got people telling me not to read Lolita. Imo it's ok for any adult to read Lolita unless they're already on their way to being abusers. Cos although it's from the POV of Humbert Humbert, it makes it clear that he's an unreliable narrator.

I didn't read it, only watched the movie and i don't think it was intended as a romantic movie. It was obvious to me that the POV was of an unreliable narrator and i was 16 when i watched it.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 7:05 am

AprilR wrote:
KT67 wrote:

I didn't read it, only watched the movie and i don't think it was intended as a romantic movie. It was obvious to me that the POV was of an unreliable narrator and i was 16 when i watched it.

Sorry to derail the thread, but yes the "unreliable narrator" is challenging because that obliges you to see beyond what the words in the book are telling you to what the author truly intends. I can imagine some unsophisticated readers won't be able to handle that, unfortunately I think society encourages us to be like that.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 8:59 am

I've had three experiences of reading it...

One as an 11 yo and I think that made it easier to abuse me when I was a little older. Cos I saw it as 'romantic'. :roll:
One as a uni student with deliberate studying of text.
One later on. Knowing that context.

It's maybe not the best book to read casually outside of that studying. Doesn't mean it should be banned though.

Anyway...

I think people will always 'demonise' their political opponent. It's tough for us as autistic people cos we take so much to heart but the left needs to be allowed to criticise the right and vice versa otherwise one side will just railroad the other.

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

12 Jun 2020, 1:39 pm

Hi everyone um I'm a bit embarrassed. I want to stay out of the political discussions but I realize I may have ended up misunderstanding the way the forums send out notifications when somebody sends a response.In other words i think I might be a bit of a blond ditz when it comes to any forum.Maybe is there a place that isn't a forum that I could go to that is built for people with Aspergers and autism?

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 1:57 pm

Do you want to read or to communicate?
For reading/listening it might be a good idea to read blogs or watch 'Ask an Autistic' on YouTube.
For communication I'm not sure. Autistic people tend to find it easier on forums than on social media, but there's always 'autistic twitter' (basically follow a bunch of autistic accounts on twitter & talk about your own experiences.
Or if you purely want to write, you could start up your own blog?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2020, 6:11 pm

MaxE wrote:
Ridiculing people by calling them "woke" is an easy way to trivialize what these people are trying to say.

Unlike say SJW, Regressive Left, or snowflake pejorative terms invented by opponents woke originated in the left as a positive. As usual with terms woke has greatly expanded to be a catch all term used to describe a variety of viewpoints. In spite of this it still represents a meaningful demarcation from the traditional left and liberals in such ways as hate speech is not free speech and must be canceled, the problem is not just bigotry, but systematic all encompassing racism and white and other privileges. All racism must be called out even microagressions past and present. Actions of historical figures must be judged by current standards and their racism was more important then any accomplishments.

Of course similar to Autistic to be called woke you do not have to believe in all of the above just most of it. :D

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 2:12 am

Isn't woke when you realize the meaning of racism and stereotypes of the minorities?

Like for example when you realize how hidden racism is around you and you never picked up on it because of white privilege. Now you realize how segregated your area was and it wasn't people choosing to stay with their own race, the city made it be that way. You also realize systemic racism. Also realizing your own privilege.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2020, 4:56 am

League_Girl wrote:
Isn't woke when you realize the meaning of racism and stereotypes of the minorities?

Like for example when you realize how hidden racism is around you and you never picked up on it because of white privilege. Now you realize how segregated your area was and it wasn't people choosing to stay with their own race, the city made it be that way. You also realize systemic racism. Also realizing your own privilege.

Basically, yes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2021, 1:47 pm

What one woke curriculum looks like
Christopher F. Rufo is a contributing editor of City Journal and director of the Discovery Institute’s Center on Wealth & Poverty
City Journal is a publication of the Manhattan Institute for Policy Research (MI), a leading free-market think tank

Quote:
The story of Buffalo Public Schools is a sad and familiar one: a dying industrial town, underperforming inner-city schools, and high rates of failure among racial minorities. Instead of focusing on improving academic achievement, however, Buffalo school administrators have adopted fashionable new pedagogies: “culturally responsive teaching,” “pedagogy of liberation,” “equity-based instructional strategies,” and an “emancipatory curriculum.”

Buffalo Public Schools diversity czar Fatima Morrell, architect of the district’s pedagogical revolution, summarizes these dense phrases in a single word: “woke.” Last year, in her role as director of the Office of Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Initiatives, Morrell created a new curriculum promoting Black Lives Matter in the classroom and an “antiracist” training program for teachers.

During one all-hands training session, the details of which I have obtained through a whistleblower, Morrell claimed that America “is built on racism” and that all Americans are guilty of “implicit racial bias.” She argued that “America’s sickness” leads some whites to believe that blacks are “not human,” which makes it “easier to shoot someone in the back seven times if you feel like it.” Morrell, who earned her Ed.D. from the University of Buffalo, said that the solution is to “be woke, which is basically critically conscious,” citing a pedagogical concept developed by Marxist theoretician Paolo Freire holding that students must be trained to identify and eventually overthrow their oppressors. After Morrell’s presentation, one teacher reaffirmed this political imperative, declaring that students must become “activists for antiracism” and public school teachers should begin “preparing them at four years old.”

In kindergarten, teachers ask students to compare their skin color with an arrangement of crayons and watch a video that dramatizes dead black children speaking to them from beyond the grave about the dangers of being killed by “racist police and state-sanctioned violence.” By fifth grade, students are taught that America has created a “school-to-grave pipeline” for black children and that, as adults, “one million Black people are locked in cages.”

In middle and high school, schools must teach about “systemic racism,” instructing students that American society was designed for the “impoverishment of people of color and enrichment of white people,” that the United States “created a social system that had racist economic inequality built into its foundation,” and that “the [current] wealth gap is the result of black slavery, which created unjust wealth for white people,” who are “unfairly rich.” Students then learn that “all white people play a part in perpetuating systemic racism” and that “often unconsciously, white elites work to perpetuate racism through politics, law, education, and the media.”

In later grades, the curriculum proposes a solution to these problems. In a lesson on “confronting whiteness in our classrooms,” teachers ask white students to atone for their “white privilege” and to “use their voices” for the cause of antiracism. In another lesson, students learn the putative difference between white European and traditional African systems of justice. According to the lesson plans, whites have created a “retributive,” “merit-based” justice system, which relies on harsh punishment and creates inequalities; traditional Africans, on the other hand, relied on a “restorative,” “needs-based” justice system focused on healing, giving to each according to his need, and prioritizing “collective value” over individual rights.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman