Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 4:05 am

It helps to have the right tools. I just happen to have a 4-jaw chuck, in addition to the common 3-jaw.
I realized that the shafts had a thin hollow center which would guide the drill. It wasn't necessary to use an indicator to precisely adjust the chuck. The hard part is the thinking part. Deciding exactly what needs to be done so I don't trash the pieces and make repair impractical.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 4:57 am

your last point is a close relation to "measure twice, cut once."

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 5:22 am

Careful guys.
Flooding media channels with enraging noise is a strategy in information warfare.
It's what Putin's government has been doing for twenty years: it leads to a large, silent majority retreating and focussing on their private lives, because politics is yhis s**tshow where you never know who's being paid by whom and what for, but everyone's screaming.

With the majority out of the way and thinking political action is impossible, or voting is an eyedropper in a whirlpool, you can then rule however you want and extractvas much wealth from the country as you want. If anyone complains, just turn up the jets of the whirlpool.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 5:26 am

shlaifu wrote:
Careful guys.
Flooding media channels with enraging noise is a strategy in information warfare.
It's what Putin's government has been doing for twenty years: it leads to a large, silent majority retreating and focussing on their private lives, because politics is yhis s**tshow where you never know who's being paid by whom and what for, but everyone's screaming.

With the majority out of the way and thinking political action is impossible, or voting is an eyedropper in a whirlpool, you can then rule however you want and extractvas much wealth from the country as you want. If anyone complains, just turn up the jets of the whirlpool.

when you have a majority who are dyed-in-the-wool sheeple, what other thing is practical to do?

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2020, 2:44 pm

shlaifu wrote:
Careful guys.
It's what Putin's government has been doing for twenty years: it leads to a large, silent majority retreating and focusing on their private lives, because politics is this s**tshow where you never know who's being paid by whom and what for, but everyone's screaming.

With the majority out of the way and thinking political action is impossible, or voting is an eyedropper in a whirlpool, you can then rule however you want and extract as much wealth from the country as you want. If anyone complains, just turn up the jets of the whirlpool.

Well, what can most even do anyway? Everything is spied upon, through ubiquitous cameras and microphones, processed and flagged by artificial intelligence data farming networks, so any coordinated revolution is impossible. Voting is irrelevant as all the choices are practically identical and those in power aren't elected anyway, just the figureheads used for rhetorical targets. Everyone except the few with hoarded wealth are effectively powerless, and those with power are comfortable.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2020, 8:57 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Careful guys.
It's what Putin's government has been doing for twenty years: it leads to a large, silent majority retreating and focusing on their private lives, because politics is this s**tshow where you never know who's being paid by whom and what for, but everyone's screaming.

With the majority out of the way and thinking political action is impossible, or voting is an eyedropper in a whirlpool, you can then rule however you want and extract as much wealth from the country as you want. If anyone complains, just turn up the jets of the whirlpool.

Well, what can most even do anyway? Everything is spied upon, through ubiquitous cameras and microphones, processed and flagged by artificial intelligence data farming networks, so any coordinated revolution is impossible. Voting is irrelevant as all the choices are practically identical and those in power aren't elected anyway, just the figureheads used for rhetorical targets. Everyone except the few with hoarded wealth are effectively powerless, and those with power are comfortable.

Local scale actions are still somewhat working- i.e., local politics, unions, strikes. The effect will take some time to trickle up. forming communities of solidarity before attempting to overthrow the king.
Bernie Sanders made it possible to talk about a move to the economic left through a grassroots effort.
Every undertaking looks daunting, if you can't break it down into manageable steps

That isn't to say this one doesn't look particularly daunting, I admit.
But I took one thing from Yuval Harari: rather than staying up to date with latest news on your phone, read a book about a topic that explores things in depth.

RadioDog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Jun 2020, 7:02 pm

I have a hard time not imagining this is the final collapse of western civilization. Every civilization rising, then cresting, then collapsing through history. It's happened in African civilizations, Middle Eastern civilizations, Asian, etc. etc etc. Why not here? Why not now?

The domino-like collapse of personal boundaries and basic morality bleeds over into the general sphere, so that soon good is called evil, and evil called good.

Someone please convince me this is not what we're seeing, and that we will all go to sleep and wake in a few years to a beautiful utopia.

I also keep seeing that truthism: "Hard times create strong people. Strong people create good times. Good times create weak people. Weak people create hard times." The current crisis of people who can no longer remain in a room with someone with a contrary opinion without personal implosion and attack certainly points to a weakened people. And we in the west have certainly lived in pretty decent times (materially) in the last few generations, built by the previous generations that went through hard times.

Again, I would be thrilled to be proven wrong in any of this.

[edit: typos]

"Autism isn't an illness but it's a condition that messes with our ability to have our psychological needs met." - DuckHairback on this site.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2020, 7:45 pm

undoubtedly these are good and well thought realisations of people in a possibly presented as a unteneable situation of racism and politics coming to a head. And logical conclusions of some great upheaval are being presented . And granted this has been coming to Western situation for a long time. since before and during the times of the babyboomers and hippie revolutions , But consider just possibly this scenario could be just orchestrated for the benefits of the " Show" to give the people the catharthis they feel is due them . Squestered in the actions are the firmware of underpinnings of the info tech nation state . All the while a controlled interaction is taking place . The circus of the masses all requiring changes in civil rights . The powers that be are moving chess pieces on the board that is the average life of the US citizens and very possibly many other citizens of other countries . For Instance. look at what we are presented for presidential candidates ,,( No other options) Trump republican and The Other addle headed Joe Biden democratic candidate . These are no choices . If Biden gets in there will be more poverty? , Trump a possible dictator .?
Just merely more of the same . And the media sensationalizing all the activities regarding civil rights.
As soon as the catharsis dies down and everyone has covid vaccines , the stress will be less and concepts of law and order will be same as before with none of the "actual powers that be " making anything but cursory appearances of change . Perhap sacrificing a few very low level beurocrats.
And many impoverished people trying to recover from Covid layoffs and food
supply shortages . another control factor agsinst any seriousvrevolts against powers in control .

Think back to the Arab Spring , What happened to their situation using technology the police rounded up all the troublemakers , ie , demostrators using tech and quelled the uprising sacrificing a few low level figureheads and everthing went back to as before but far more poverty stricken cause trade
was interrupted on a personal
level stores had to close , people needed food , Were do people look for basic necessities when food is hard to find or afford .
The USA would be a harder nut to crack so you introduce a worldwide pandemic that everyone must rely on gov. to assist them .. So you have introduced controls on how serious the revolution can get .
Just my own speculations on stuff i see through my own Aspie thoughts.

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 12:39 am

history may not exactly repeat itself, but it surely is rhyming up a storm now.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:32 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Lolololz yup. just hate when that happens ...then i just blame it on my aspie
mind ... still hard to make believe the facts presented are what they seem to be and how they seem to fit sometimes.

prefer to think its just brain farts ....

where ever you go ,there you are

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 8:56 pm

Jakki wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Lolololz yup. just hate when that happens ...then i just blame it on my aspie
mind ... still hard to make believe the facts presented are what they seem to be and how they seem to fit sometimes.

prefer to think its just brain farts ....

yeh, i wish it was brainpharts also.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2020, 8:00 pm

You might decide not to be interested in politics anymore, but politics are still interested in you. No getting away from it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 6:06 am

^^^just like war, we [who aren't of the MICC] aren't interested in war but it damned sure is interested in us, and since politics is just culture war [right wing tries to convert or eliminate the infidel lefties like me], we should be on our guard.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2020, 4:03 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^just like war, we [who aren't of the MICC] aren't interested in war but it damned sure is interested in us, and since politics is just culture war [right wing tries to convert or eliminate the infidel lefties like me], we should be on our guard.

The righties are coming for us idol worshipping commies!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 2:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

they oughta be coming for their own idol [confederate statues] worshipping selves.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 5:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

they oughta be coming for their own idol [confederate statues] worshipping selves.

Ah, but that's all about heritage! :P