AOC cruises to primary win, looks set to waltz to reelection

Page 2 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:03 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Not really...I've known some decent politicains who talk to people as equals, rather than as though they were "better" than those to who they speak with. I tend to notice that there seems more like that (treating people as their equal) on the right than on the left, but it isn't split along any particular divide (although the further left the politician is, the less likely it is that they would speak to the public as an "equal", and the more likely they would be inclined to talk down to people).

Looking at our recent Prime Ministers, for example, Bob Hawke [1], John Howard, Tony Abbot, and Scott Morrison haven't been too bad (The first from the left, the others from the right of the "political spectrum") in that they appear(ed) to treat people as their equals, whereas Malcolm Turnbull and Julia Gillard (first from the "right", second from the left) were more inclined to talk down to people...I'm not sure where Kevin Rudd (left) and Paul Keating (left) fitted, but I'd probably add them to the list who "talk down" to people. The current opposition leader (Anthony Albanese - from the left) also seems like someone who would be inclined to treat people as his equal, but I haven't seen too much of him. (of course, this is all subjective, and based on memory, which can be fallible...Other Aussies may see (or remember) them differently.)

[1] It would be hard to imagine a Prime Minister, with a world record such as he held, to be someone who would not talk to people as their equal...

Tony Abbott was an international embarrassment who's main technique was LARPing what it meant to be an Aussie, and could not have empathy for marriage equality despite his own sister is a lesbian.

I'm guessing you don't get out that much. I've known a number of people in the country (left and right) who were similar in behaviour to him.

As to the "empathy"...Are you suggesting he should abandon his personal beliefs regarding an issue (which would make him a hypocrite), or that he should do things in order to benefit a family member (commonly referred to as nepotism)? It's depressing to think that someone would even suggest another person should go down either of those paths, just so they could have what they wanted.

Bradleigh wrote:
Also, calling women politicians as abrasive is not exactly a good look, since it is like a specific part of a gender bias of the word used by people who see women as such.

Well, I could have gone with contemptuous or vitriolic, but they felt too harsh, and didn't seem to accurately describe my opinion.

If you feel that you need to search for and complain about "gender bias" in another person's words (which in itself is a subjective judgement), the very least you could do would be to put forward some suggestions that you feel could be approriate alternatives, in order for me to see if any of them would substitute. Lacking this input (and being unable to find a suitable substitute), I still believe that abrasive is the most appropriate term to use in this case.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 2:30 am

>Don't use this word to describe a person of group X.

>Don't use other words to describe that person, because what you really mean is the word I'm telling you not to use.

> I'm not language policing, shut up!

> Seems Legit.jpg

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 3:21 am

Brictoria wrote:
I'm guessing you don't get out that much. I've known a number of people in the country (left and right) who were similar in behaviour to him.

I did not say that there are genuine people who act like that, just that Abbott as a politician with his background, his whole Aussie act is a LARP (Live Action Role Play), and the first thing he hears about a pensioner having to work for a sex line to make ends meet was to wink. Is that the sort of great character you like?

Brictoria wrote:
Well, I could have gone with contemptuous or vitriolic, but they felt too harsh, and didn't seem to accurately describe my opinion.

If you feel that you need to search for and complain about "gender bias" in another person's words (which in itself is a subjective judgement), the very least you could do would be to put forward some suggestions that you feel could be approriate alternatives, in order for me to see if any of them would substitute. Lacking this input (and being unable to find a suitable substitute), I still believe that abrasive is the most appropriate term to use in this case.

Jesus, can’t any of you understand basic behavioural analysis. I already said using a different word would be pointless, saying that women are abrasive is just a symptom of actual gender bias, a common word used that by people that seem to express such bias. I can’t put forward a suggestion of what you should say that is appropriate, rather than maybe you yourself look at your own attitude for why you might think a strong woman or one of power is abrasive.

Maybe you don’t actually even have problems with gender bias, then that would be good for you, but since you think that Tony Abbott is a good guy, a man who when trying to make a comment to women was about housewives and ironing, I think that it could be worth a shot.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 7:52 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
>Don't use this word to describe a person of group X.

>Don't use other words to describe that person, because what you really mean is the word I'm telling you not to use.

> I'm not language policing, shut up!

> Seems Legit.jpg

I was listening to the Bret Weinstein and John McWhorter episode of Bret's podcast glad to hear still more people unambiguously saying that this isn't 'like' a religion, it is a religion. I already knew Douglas Murray was saying that, I knew Bret saw religion already as a set of adaptive tools 'metaphorically true, literally false', interesting to see that John actually brought that up. I'm hoping we're able to, in the US, get the idea out of our heads that a religion's only a religion if it has a deity or set of deities - Emile Durkheim was already thinking sharper than that in the 19th century.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 9:33 am

^^^

What Sets Humans Apart from Other Similar Primates Is Our Language that has become a Concrete Record Keeping
Tool in Written Language to Collect And Keep What is Learned to Make Life For Better Or Worse in All the Dreams
And Nightmares Humans Come to Imagine, Create, Collect, And Keep in Words and Other Human
Created 'Records' to Bond Over For Group Cohesion to
Survive and Even Thrive, Yes, Otherwise Known as Religion.

Just The Three Letter Word 'God' Is an Abstract Construct Edifice
That is Sculpted Totem on A 'Two Dimensional Surface' for the 'Holy
And Sacred' Purpose of Group Bonding And Binding to Keep the Social
Group Dancing And Singing Off the Same Choir Sheet in this Case Sculpted
As the Two-Dimensional Sculpted Word 'God' And Really Only 'One Dimension'
Where Sculpture of Each Letter is Restricted Together As Words Still Only Allowed
to Move From Left to Right; But Of Course the Sculpture of the 'Word God Only Is Dead'
And Only Lives With the Breath of Imagination that Defines it Per Group Think And Feel too;
And this is where it gets complicated and confusing as Neuroscience Shows We all Basically Hallucinate
Our Realities as We Go From Past Experiences Coloring Every Sculpted Edifice of Word/Art/Science in
Endless Metaphor
of Meaning
And Potential
Purpose too.
The Nice Thing About
This Is We Humans Have the
Potential To Create the Dream of
Heaven Into Earthly Fruition As Long
As the UNiVeRSE Within Us that is beyond
Scientific Measure Feels And Senses Existence this way;
On the Other Hand, there is the Nightmare of the "Orange King's Reality"
As Predicted as Some View the Poetry of A Revelation Story in a Book in Old Stale Hail
as we as
Humans
will
surely
Bring What
We Wish For With
Imagination And Creativity
Into Fruition of Existence We Feel as
Fresh Heaven's Breath or Rotting
Stale Hell NOW
Dead Living.

Life is Good
But Only When
We Sculpt Heaven Over Hell.

As Far As i can See and Feel,
At Least In Her Dance, 'AOC'
Experiences 'The Divine' That Day She Danced in 2010;
It's Written All Over the 'Statue Of Her Face' This is what
Sets Humans Apart From Stones; Our Love is Written in the
Face of
Others
For Us
to See As Real;
Only if We Have
the ability to 'See'...
That Is An Intelligence of
Love And Ecstasy that not all Seek, Find,
And Bring to A Fruition of a Dance and Song of Life Eternally Now.

In 'the Dance', 'AOC' in Essence is
Experiencing Divine Joy That Moves
Freely; Yes, Three Dimensionally.

i Create Life iN
Love' Breath Dancing Singing...

Voila: Heaven Always Now
As My Fingers Are Dancing NoW iN FLoW too;
All that's Left Are These Unlimited Dimensional
Fumes (Metaphors in Essence)
to
see
or not
to see NoW
When Our HeART
Become Words, SPiRiT WinD
Indeed, Soul Becomes Words;
In A World of Masks; A Wonderful tool In Deed, Now;
And of course, i STaRTeD this Soul Writing Adventure
When i no longer Had effective Use of
Eyes or Ears; Now i breathe with neither.
How Do i Know; By the responses of
Others Who Have the ability to See
my Soul in the Edifice of Stone Words
Where Indeed Love Becomes
'Written in the Stone'
as Sculpture of Soul
Still Breathing Long
After We 'Pass Away
Continuing to Return'.
'Politicians' Who Build 'Pharaoh Golden
Pyramid Towers' Out of Brick And Mortar
in Sacrificing Elders, Still today, Just Don't
Understand What the Human Soul Is Still Breathing Now OR NOT.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

blech
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jun 2020, 3:49 pm

So this is the thread where men with outdated views gather round to talk about a 30-year-old woman in a sexist way, blissfully unaware of how they're being sexist.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 4:00 pm

blech wrote:
So this is the thread where men with outdated views gather round to talk about a 30-year-old woman in a sexist way, blissfully unaware of how they're being sexist.

No, this is the thread where men and women talk about a political figure in the most powerful nation on earth (and thus also of interest outside the nation). That is, of course, until you decided to barge in and, seemingly for sexist reasons, call others sexist. 0/10 troll harder next time.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 5:35 pm

blech wrote:

Careful, it isn't politically correct to call a spade a spade or a sexist a sexist on WP.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 5:39 pm

blech wrote:

Proving that someone is being sexist in ways that they are unaware can generally be pretty difficult, unless maybe someone's initial response was literally type a wolf whistle. Undoubtedly I think that AOC is very likely to have people with sexist views have strong opinions, but we also don't want to stifle discussion, especially since AOC has had a surprising impact.

Women are still held to weird higher standards, where if they don't talk the right way they get treated like they are hysterical, or using that word again abrasive. It is the same part of those cases where people tell women to smile more or something.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 5:45 pm

I personally just throw my all of my political opponents over a barrel regardless of race, gender or religion. No need to be covert.

Side note - I really wonder what you say to someone in this thread who likes having female and minority senators and representatives when they're actually of decent quality and have good ideas but whom don't believe AOC meets that last criteria. Maybe they're really racist and sexist and just haven't figured it out yet?

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 5:56 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I personally just throw my all of my political opponents over a barrel regardless of race, gender or religion. No need to be covert.

Side note - I really wonder what you say to someone in this thread who likes having female and minority senators and representatives when they're actually of decent quality and have good ideas but whom don't believe AOC meets that last criteria. Maybe they're really racist and sexist and just haven't figured it out yet?

What exactly is problematic about AOC?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:14 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Wasn't she talking about making a list last year of Democrat senators and representatives who voted across the isle on various issues to have them primaried in their districts?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:17 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Wasn't she talking about making a list last year of Democrat senators and representatives who voted across the isle on various issues to have them primaried in their districts?

I'm not sure why it's a problem for progressives to prefer a party that represents their interests instead of one that's more interested in being the Republican Lite party. I would be disappointed if AOC didn't work to advance the interests of progressives over those of the Republican Lites.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:21 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I'm not sure why it's a problem for progressives to prefer a party that represents their interests instead of one that's more interested in being the Republican Lite party. I would be disappointed if AOC didn't work to advance the interests of progressives over those of the Republican Lites.

Would it be fair to say that disagreement is inherently sexist or racist?

I'm just trying to figure out if some threads might need a minimum commitment to entry in this case, like baptism or first communion. Maybe we could put a little round wafer in the header to let people know it's one of 'these'.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:26 pm

The reality is that AOC and the other members of the "squad" have done little or nothing to take on the establishment Dems -- if you look at their voting record, that is. It's all for show with the hopes they'll draw more progressives to their party. They won't do anything to really take on the corruption in the Democratic Party, just as the Dems have nothing to take on Trump's policies. They've pretty much given him everything he wants.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2020, 6:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Reminds me of a recent comment where she endorsed a progressive person to primary an incumbent who was endorsed by other "elites" of the democratic party, and he complained about AOC acting like a dictator in deciding who gets elected, despite that being exactly the majority of the party are acting like in acting that even the people that betray the politics should keep the position regardless. That there is nothing wrong with supporting a progressive that will push for good policy over people that share AOC's progressive values over people who think they deserve it because they played the politics game.

Her making a list on the senators and representatives that have voted problematically is good, an effort to bring some change outside of her own effort.