Black Lives Matter (BLM) is an Auto-Antonym

Page 12 of 19 [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 19  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2018
Age: 72
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,291
Location: Indiana

30 Jun 2020, 8:13 am

Gang violence affects more than just the black communities. There are many gangs, some are black, some are white, some are Mexican, some are other ethnic groups. Gang violence erupts within and between communities.

A young 10 year old girl was murdered in Chicago this last week her name was Lena Marie Nunez.

Image

She was killed when a stray bullet shattered the window and struck her head while she was inside her second-floor family apartment in the 3500 block of West Dickens on Saturday night. The charred glass wounded her 8-year-old cousin, police said. She was in her grandmothers home, watching tv with her brother. Lena was a sweet little girl filled with joy, hopes and dreams.

Image

Sources:
3 children shot dead, another 2 wounded in the crossfire over just 1 week in Chicago
Funeral Arrangements for 10yr old Lena Marie Nunez


_________________
Author of Practical Preparations for a Coronavirus Pandemic.
A very unique plan. As Dr. Paul Thompson wrote, "This is the very best paper on the virus I have ever seen."


Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 May 2008
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,062
Location: Brisbane, Australia

30 Jun 2020, 8:23 am

With all these people being killed by stray bullets, how can you lot defend all of the guns? Isn't it terrifying that at an time some random person will use a firearm and without meaning to could end your and or someone else's life?

Why is America so dangerous?


_________________
Through dream I travel, at lantern's call
To consume the flames of a kingdom's fall


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 70,845
Location: Queens, NYC

30 Jun 2020, 8:24 am

I agree, in addition to systemic racism being addressed.....that criminal mindsets must be addressed, too.



Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,159
Location: Aux Arcs

30 Jun 2020, 9:10 am

This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,865
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

30 Jun 2020, 9:15 am

Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.


Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.


_________________
Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil and the government is lying about 9/11.


The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2010
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,267
Location: Reading, England

30 Jun 2020, 9:18 am

[quote="jimmy m”]

Crime was rampant in New York City several decades ago. in the 1990s the New York City police commissioner William Bratton and Mayor Rudy Giuliani, adopted the principles of "the broken window theory". The broken windows theory is a criminological theory that states that visible signs of crime, anti-social behavior, and civil disorder create an urban environment that encourages further crime and disorder, including serious crimes. The theory suggests that policing methods that target minor crimes such as vandalism, loitering, public drinking, jaywalking and fare evasion help to create an atmosphere of order and lawfulness, thereby preventing more serious crimes. When Bratton resigned in 1996, felonies were down almost 40 percent in New York, and the homicide rate had been halved.[/quote]
It should be noted that

1) the crux of Bratton’s approach was about taking a data-driven approach to fighting crime, and prioritising serious crime. There were other aspects such as merging the transport police with the street-level police.

2) criminologists tend to view the reduction in crime under Bratton as being largely down to demographic factors such as fewer young men living in New York and increased affluence, as well as other factors such as the end of the crack epidemic and of course simple reversion to the mean.

3) broken windows theory is similarly not popular. Cities which implement “broken windows” policing don’t see better reductions in serious crime than other cities. And criminals who get housed in nice neighbourhoods still commit the same amount of crime.



Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

30 Jun 2020, 9:23 am

Bradleigh wrote:
With all these people being killed by stray bullets, how can you lot defend all of the guns? Isn't it terrifying that at an time some random person will use a firearm and without meaning to could end your and or someone else's life?

Why is America so dangerous?


Every one of the stray bullet "drive by" victims are at the hands of a criminal. Someone who is in illegal possession of a firearm. Someone who does not adhere to the law.

How did Australia remove the illegal firearms from criminals since the problem of gun violence is at the hands of criminals rather than law abiding citizens? Keeping in mind Australia is less than 1/10th the population of the U.S. and has a fraction of the dense urban populations that the U.S. does so it's an "apples to oranges" comparison.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,243
Location: Poland

30 Jun 2020, 9:24 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.

Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,865
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

30 Jun 2020, 9:27 am

Magna wrote:
Every one of the stray bullet "drive by" victims are at the hands of a criminal. Someone who is in illegal possession of a firearm. Someone who does not adhere to the law.


They're also not intentional, if you can reduce the causes that make gang violence likely you can reduce the collateral damage associated with that sort of violence. Police becoming more brutal with the communities where those actions are likely occur will not ever improve the situation.


_________________
Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil and the government is lying about 9/11.


Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

30 Jun 2020, 9:29 am

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.

Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.


That's been one of the problems with calls for "gun control" in the U.S. blanket sweeping restrictions that would apply the same for every law abiding citizen (remember criminals don't follow laws). So a law that would prevent someone in the city or suburb from owning a semi-automatic hunting rifle would also prevent someone living in remote rural areas from owning the same rifle they use for protection. Someone living in the remote areas of Alaska, for example, would also be bound by the same blanket laws and perhaps only be allowed to have a single shot bolt action rifle to defend themselves from charging bears.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,159
Location: Aux Arcs

30 Jun 2020, 9:29 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.


Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

True,but there are some similarities.Poverty, alcoholism and drug use.
People aren’t as congested, so you don’t have people waging war over a street corner.People aren’t usually in large groups where you can get hit by stray bullets when rival gangs get into it.
There is a lame gang in Springfield MO called the 417 Honkies ,but they aren’t very organized since they are all tweakers.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,865
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

30 Jun 2020, 9:32 am

magz wrote:
When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.


SATW has commented on Svalbard, so I know about the polar bears.

Generally speaking the guns most suitable for hunting animals aren't the ones most suitable for combat in heavily built up areas and generally there isn't enough money available to make organized crime profitable beyond moon-shining or growing dope, and even then there likely isn't enough money to make killing your neighbour a regular occurrence.

More densely populated areas have more money total (even if it's spread across more pockets), strangers instead of neighbours you know and police who are more likely to use deadly force at least partially for the same reason the criminals might be, you're more likely to be strangers.


_________________
Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil and the government is lying about 9/11.


Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Jun 2012
Age: 56
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,159
Location: Aux Arcs

30 Jun 2020, 9:35 am

Magna wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.

Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.


That's been one of the problems with calls for "gun control" in the U.S. blanket sweeping restrictions that would apply the same for every law abiding citizen (remember criminals don't follow laws). So a law that would prevent someone in the city or suburb from owning a semi-automatic hunting rifle would also prevent someone living in remote rural areas from owning the same rifle they use for protection. Someone living in the remote areas of Alaska, for example, would also be bound by the same blanket laws and perhaps only be allowed to have a single shot bolt action rifle to defend themselves from charging bears.

A single shot??Better hope you kill it with the first shot, you won’t get a second chance.


_________________
"Security is mostly a superstition.It does not exist in nature,nor do the children of men as a whole experience it.Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure.Life is either a daring adventure,or nothing." Helen Keller


Magna
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Jun 2018
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,932

30 Jun 2020, 9:37 am

Misslizard wrote:
Magna wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.

Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.


That's been one of the problems with calls for "gun control" in the U.S. blanket sweeping restrictions that would apply the same for every law abiding citizen (remember criminals don't follow laws). So a law that would prevent someone in the city or suburb from owning a semi-automatic hunting rifle would also prevent someone living in remote rural areas from owning the same rifle they use for protection. Someone living in the remote areas of Alaska, for example, would also be bound by the same blanket laws and perhaps only be allowed to have a single shot bolt action rifle to defend themselves from charging bears.

A single shot??Better hope you kill it with the first shot, you won’t get a second chance.


Exactly.


_________________
"There is no love of living without despair of life." - Albert Camus

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

"Are you Bluish? You don't look Bluish."

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)


funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 27 Oct 2014
Age: 35
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,865
Location: I'm on the streets like curbs

30 Jun 2020, 9:37 am

Misslizard wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.


Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

True,but there are some similarities.Poverty, alcoholism and drug use.
People aren’t as congested, so you don’t have people waging war over a street corner.People aren’t usually in large groups where you can get hit by stray bullets when rival gangs get into it.
There is a lame gang in Springfield MO called the 417 Honkies ,but they aren’t very organized since they are all tweakers.


There are similarities as well. In some ways the isolation of extreme rural areas (whether they're reservations or other similarly isolated areas) isn't entirely unlikely the isolation that seems to exist in ghettos; there's a similar sense of being trapped and unable to escape those circumstances.

I'd imagine in a more widely distributed community where most people drive there would be far less value to controlling a corner. Who's gonna stop at the one stoplight in town to buy crack or ice? Who's gonna wait there all day for both customers he already knows and can just deliver to? Wouldn't Andy just tell his cousin to go home so he doesn't need to look into it?

Factors like that play into why crime in urban areas is more obvious even if the rural poor likely aren't any less prone to criminal behaviour than urban poor.


_________________
Jesus was black, Ronald Reagan was the devil and the government is lying about 9/11.


magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2017
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,243
Location: Poland

30 Jun 2020, 9:39 am

Magna wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
This county is full of guns.We haven’t had a homicide in a few years.The last time we did it was meth related.
We had an armed standoff a few months back but the guy had a crossbow.

Rural areas rarely have the dynamics of urban areas even if those urban areas are fairly homogeneous.

When my friend got a scholarship on Svalbard, she had to attend shooting course and she was lent a gun she was required to carry outside human-inhabited areas. The reason: polar bears.
Also, as food is expensive but wildlife abundant and hunting seals is free, students routinely survive on seal meat there.

These are not the bullets that kill random children in bad neighboorhoods.
That's been one of the problems with calls for "gun control" in the U.S. blanket sweeping restrictions that would apply the same for every law abiding citizen (remember criminals don't follow laws). So a law that would prevent someone in the city or suburb from owning a semi-automatic hunting rifle would also prevent someone living in remote rural areas from owning the same rifle they use for protection. Someone living in the remote areas of Alaska, for example, would also be bound by the same blanket laws and perhaps only be allowed to have a single shot bolt action rifle to defend themselves from charging bears.

I think the all-or-nothing blanket policies are generally a problem here.
Why are law-abiding US citizens unwilling to register their guns? Registration wouldn't affect effectiveness against bears but American gun owners seem to be afraid that registered weapon is too likely to be taken away from them with another blanket policy.


_________________
Let's not confuse being normal with being mentally healthy.