Page 4 of 7 [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:44 am

If the superlatively orange one loses the upcoming election, what is the likelihood he will seek to challenge that outcome in both the Supreme Court, and the court of public opinion?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:47 am

Thats' the funny thing about this upcoming election: regardless of who wins, no one will believe it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:50 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Thats' the funny thing about this upcoming election: regardless of who wins, no one will believe it.

Very good point. "Not my president" will be a mantra by many on either side regardless of the outcome. The idea of the president being the president for all citizens, like it or not, ended after the 2016 election.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:52 am

Karamazov wrote:
If the superlatively orange one loses the upcoming election, what is the likelihood he will seek to challenge that outcome in both the Supreme Court, and the court of public opinion?
Nearly absolute, in my opinion.  He hates losing, and he hates "losers", so he would likely seek vindication if only to soothe his own ego.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:53 am

Wolfram87 wrote:

Which, I suspect, was the purpose of Putin’s shenanigans in 2016 all along.
Destroy trust in the electoral system and the legitimacy of the presidency regardless of who wins.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 10:58 am

I think we might be giving Vlad a bit more credit than is due. Unless he somehow managed to predict the Dems putting forth Biden as their candidate that far in advance.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:09 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
I think we might be giving Vlad a bit more credit than is due. Unless he somehow managed to predict the Dems putting forth Biden as their candidate that far in advance.

No, I don’t think he or the Kremlin denizens anticipated all this...
merely that the events of what occurred during the 2016 election, regardless of what one makes of them, probably didn’t help Trump win...
but did help create a situation in which the sense of “Presidency for all” evaporated...
pushing at an open door in that regard, I would argue.

That accomplished: all that’s really required is to sit back and watch the US political culture implode along it’s pre-existing fault lines.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:15 am

i will be the first one to get stoooopid stoned :hic: :drunken: :colors: :skull: if, by this time next year, after the last of the court battles, the magas are all just a bad memory. but for that to happen, in addition to winning, they're [democrats] gonna have to believe and ACT like they won. IOW they will have to get smart and get tough and become badder cops themselves, at least somewhat.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:16 am

Karamazov wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:

No, I don’t think he or the Kremlin denizens anticipated all this...
merely that the events of what occurred during the 2016 election, regardless of what one makes of them, probably didn’t help Trump win...
but did help create a situation in which the sense of “Presidency for all” evaporated...
pushing at an open door in that regard, I would argue.

That accomplished: all that’s really required is to sit back and watch the US political culture implode along it’s pre-existing fault lines.

Correct. "Presidency for all" is gone. The party in power, regardless of which one that is will try to shame the other side into "unity", etc but it won't work. "Not my president" can't be for thee but not for me will be the line of thinking.

I do remember feeling completely cheated when G.W. Bush was elected after the Dade and Broward County Florida "hanging chad" election fiasco. I still accepted that G.W. Bush was president even though I didn't agree with it.

Those days are gone, gone, gone. "Not my president" is here to stay. The bind that Democrats would be in if they deigned to call for unity is that they would rightly be considered blatantly hypocritical.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:20 am

politics here is war by other means, a culture war between those who lack abundant resources, and those who have plenty of it or think they are on the fast track to having plenty of it. above all, the democrats are gonna have to learn some self-discipline and work together as a group rather than a bunch of cats that won't be herded, like they have been. just like the GOP expelled all the reasonable moderates, the democrats are gonna have to do something similar or else they [left and right wings of the party] will just fight each other while the GOP snatches the ball away from them again. mebbe the expelled moderates of both parties can put aside their differences and form a true centrist third party? :chin:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:40 am

auntblabby wrote:
... mebbe the expelled moderates of both parties can put aside their differences and form a true centrist third party?
It's been tried.  Those attempts have failed because those who can put aside their many differences have no incentive to form a party, while those who cannot put aside their many differences end up forming many parties.

What is needed is a coalition of moderates (e.g., "The Moderate Coalition Party"), wherein the differences are preserved and the primary goal -- preventing either of the other two parties from having a clear majority -- is established and acted upon.

But that is not likely to happen, either.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:42 am

drat. :|

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:43 am

Right, annexation by Canada it is, then. Trudeau has plenty of flaws, but he's neither orange nor dead.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 11:49 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Right, annexation by Canada it is, then. Trudeau has plenty of flaws, but he's neither orange nor dead.

I don't think I'd mind. Admittedly, with national ("free") healthcare, I'd quit my job once and for all and make money doing other things.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 12:18 pm

^^^and i'd finally be able to quit worrying about lifetime financial ruin from exorbitant medical bills.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2020, 12:37 pm

Fnord wrote:
... What is needed is a coalition of moderates (e.g., "The Moderate Coalition Party"), wherein the differences are preserved and the primary goal -- preventing either of the other two parties from having a clear majority -- is established and acted upon...
Upon further thought, I remembered this observation by Benjamin Franklin:

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

The two wolves could represent the Democrat and Republican parties, while the well-armed lamb could represent the Moderate Coalitionists...

:chin: Hmm...