Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 7:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
How is she intolerant? She expressed an opinion, one that quite a few folks in the trans community agree with.

Let's face the reality. she doesn't want to share a public bathroom with a trans. That's intolerance.

No, she believes there are serious problems with opening up women's safe spaces to any man who identifies with being a woman. Feel free to debate that topic, but that doesn't make her a bigot for expressing that view.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 7:55 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
How is she intolerant? She expressed an opinion, one that quite a few folks in the trans community agree with.

Let's face the reality. she doesn't want to share a public bathroom with a trans. That's intolerance.

No, she believes there are serious problems with opening up women's safe spaces to any man who identifies with being a woman. Feel free to debate that topic, but that doesn't make her a bigot for expressing that view.

It's a slippery slope and she knows it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 7:56 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
1) An artist who made a transphobic newspaper cartoon that portrays transgender people as hungry predators.

So, a feminist being concerned about "self identifying" trans women being allowed into "female-only spaces such as domestic violence refuges and toilets." is bigoted. I assume, then, you would see no issue, were one of the perpetrators of domestic violence to "self identify" as a trans woman in order to acces the refuge where their victim was...Or a predatory male to "self identify" as a trans woman to access female toilets for ulterior motives?

I did find it interesting that the note with the cartoon where she explained:
Quote:
that when she was a girl, she was convinced that she was really a boy, but realises now it was just a phase.

and
Quote:
She wondered whether in the present climate she would have been encouraged to change sex, with disastrous consequences.

I seen no sign of being a "bigot" as you accused her of being, simply someone with a different set of beliefs to you.

I do wonder, having read this, whether some of the more "aggressive" members of the trans movement were like she had been, but were pressured\encouraged to change sex, and are now lashing out in order to help themselves "confirm"\"validate" that they made the correct choice (buyers remorse)?

You want to get into this, okay, lets get into this.

Even if she thinks that she would have been encouraged to change sexes when she was younger, this does not mean it is a fact, nor does it mean she would have passed the incredibly intrusive testing that is done by the doctors to figure out if it was just a phase. If she is really curious about this part she could question people who have gone through the process or doctors that preside over it, instead she has just made the decision that the whole thing is bad and no person would be able to know if they were transgender at a young age, which is incredibly condescending.

Fine, she is a feminist, so am I. The difference here is that her comic shows that she does not think certain women are worth protecting, notable from the fact that transgender people are actually far more likely to be victims, certain studies found that 47% of transgender people are sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime.
https://www.hrc.org/resources/sexual-as ... -community

If she is still worried about people acting in bad faith, that is fine, but she has to find a way to talk about it that does not portray it as a problem of people using being transgender as an excuse as hungry predators. Why? Because transgender people have to put up with a whole lot of s**t, and being seen with suspicion and hatred as monsters in disguise is absolutely disgusting. It ignores the experiences of those people, and throws them to the wolves. Some women uncomfortable with what they think might be a man peeing in the stall next to them? Do they understand what it must be like for all the transgender women forced into the actual men's room?

No, she doesn't. Her comic would rather portray the whole thing as hungry crocodiles slithering into safe spaces to prey on helpless newts. It does not even address the fact of what would be stopping it from happening in the first place. That transgender women are actually quite often turned away from domestic violence centers for not passing well enough, and are generally going to be looked down on for being too masculine for female spaces, and too feminine for masculine spaces. It just paints the whole thing as innocent people being preyed on. It is disgusting. A phrase that transgender people can find being thrown at them for simply existing.

If the comic is the start of a conversation, then what is being discussed? Some way that actual transgender people can be more safely accepted into gendered spaces so they feel safe too, along with means that people who are unsure can also safely experiment? Or that this whole letting transgender people in is just going to open the door to evil monsters, so screw them because I have issues with the opposite sex?

There are plenty of way she could discuss it in a more nuanced manner that treats actual transgender people as their identified gender, but instead she painted the whole thing with broad strokes that can only come across as transphobic and bigoted. Because through her comments you can read that she thinks transgender people are just confused. From these simple facts you can read that she is trans exclusionary, and thus a radical for how she excludes trans women from being protected as women despite being a feminist, a Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminist.

She is intolerant of people with a different belief to hers, that trans people are valid, and thus a bigot.

Actually...The only issue she had was with "self identifying" trans women, not all trans people, which may be too subtle a differentiation for you to understand.

"Self identifying" allows for a person to suddenly "decide", on the spur of the moment, that they wish to identify as something, which they can then, 5 minutes later reconsider and "self identify" in a completely different way. There is no objective (or external) way to prove that this "self identifying" was in fact genuine, rather than opportunistic.

Again, there is no evidence that she is intollerent of people with a different belief to hers, just that her beliefs may not match those of others.

To label a person who has shown a nuanced view of the topic as a "bigot" actually reflects more on the person placing judgement than on the person with that nuanced view.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:00 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
She is intolerant of people with a different belief to hers, that trans people are valid, and thus a bigot.

The real intolerance is coming from people like yourself who want to shout everyone down who doesn't agree with your rigid ideolgy.

That has to quality as one of the most ironic comments I've read on this site in awhile. It's a definite example of the pot calling the kettle black.

The intolerance is not in her expressing the idea that bad faith actors may take advantage of it, what you say in quite a few folks in the trans community agreeing with. The intolerance is in her making it the only or main issue, with a side of her assuming that she would have been diagnosed as transgender while having no idea if she would have.

It is intolerant because all she does with her argument is make it harder for trans people to be accepted. Perhaps her argument would be different if she included a crocodile actually transitioning to a newt, but the clear example of her comic is that the whole process is impossible, an argument that transitioning has no basis in biological reality. Because crocodiles are not newts, and that is a bigoted statement when it is about whether trans people should be allowed into their proper spaces. Her argument leaves no space for thinking that perhaps there is a net positive for letting people into the spaces they identify as.

It is an attempt to shut down the discussion by saying better safe than sorry in forcing women to go into the men's room. If you can't see that, then I think that you lack some understanding what the impact of these type of depictions can have. Explain to me how that comic is not an attack on trans women.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:03 pm

cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Nope...There is no inidcation that she has a problem with a trans person using the bathroom with her, it is the "self identifying" trans person, where there is no way to determine whether they are legitimately "self identifying", or have "self identified" for other reasons and will then "self identify" as their original identity once their purpose for using that area has ceased that she specifically indicated was the issue.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:09 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Explain to me how that comic is not an attack on trans women.

What is it that makes you expect people to be able to prove a negative?

The onus is on you to show how it is an attack, not for others to show it isn't. They can then refute your claims, which will in turn demonstrate that which you ask.

The fact that you appear "triggered" by this gives the appearance that while you can intellectually see that it is not an attack, you aren't able to balance this with your "beliefs" regarding the subject matter.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:15 pm

Brictoria wrote:
Actually...The only issue she had was with "self identifying" trans women, not all trans people, which may be too subtle a differentiation for you to understand.

"Self identifying" allows for a person to suddenly "decide", on the spur of the moment, that they wish to identify as something, which they can then, 5 minutes later reconsider and "self identify" in a completely different way. There is no objective (or external) way to prove that this "self identifying" was in fact genuine, rather than opportunistic.

Again, there is no evidence that she is intollerent of people with a different belief to hers, just that her beliefs may not match those of others.

To label a person who has shown a nuanced view of the topic as a "bigot" actually reflects more on the person placing judgement than on the person with that nuanced view.

Then how does someone figure out if they are trans if they are never allowed to try and see if it fits. There are some people who know it so deep down that to them there is no doubt, but others are not going to know unless they experiment to find out what fits better, this earlier discussion about puberty blockers being key so kids don't go through the wrong puberty in figuring out which gender is right for them.

The comic in question has none of that, it is just an attempt to scare people in the ridiculousness of a crocodile pretending to be a newt. Answers to the question, perhaps the trans person should make an attempt to dress like their identified gender, wear a dress/skirt or look boyish enough. Not everyone is going to be able to just get all the hormones and surgery, and to my understanding the process for those transitioning procedures in the UK requires that the transgender person spends a whole year as their identified gender. How are they meant to do that when they are going to be looked down on with suspicion and fear every time they want to tinkle?

If someone really wants in one the conversation of bad faith actors, then you can't start on portraying the ridiculousness of someone entering the wrong space. That argument is archaic and can only be met with saying that maybe the crocodile won't really eat the newts. Come in with answers like some gender neutral bathrooms, some answers that help trans women instead of a smaller minority of predators that would use it as an excuse.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:16 pm

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:

Nope...There is no inidcation that she has a problem with a trans person using the bathroom with her, it is the "self identifying" trans person, where there is no way to determine whether they are legitimately "self identifying", or have "self identified" for other reasons and will then "self identify" as their original identity once their purpose for using that area has ceased that she specifically indicated was the issue.

She is talking about male to female trans since female to male would never go into a female bathroom.

As I mentioned to vegetableman, deciding whom is entitled to enter a female bathroom is a slippery slope and my guess is she isn't qualified to decide whom can or cannot self-identify as trans.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:17 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
VegetableMan wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

The real intolerance is coming from people like yourself who want to shout everyone down who doesn't agree with your rigid ideolgy.

That has to quality as one of the most ironic comments I've read on this site in awhile. It's a definite example of the pot calling the kettle black.

It is an attempt to shut down the discussion by saying better safe than sorry

Oh. Jesus! Really? How is she trying to shut down discussion? That sounds like the cancel culture, to me. She's just expressing an opinion, then the morons come at her with moronic terms like "TERF", and all the cult members of the radical left fall in line like good little brainwashed sheeple.

That's not exactly a tactic that leads to intelligent discussion, is it?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:38 pm

cyberdad wrote:
since female to male would never go into a female bathroom.

You are wrong. Some do.
Quote:
As I mentioned to vegetableman, deciding whom is entitled to enter a female bathroom is a slippery slope

It's already been decided though, in countries all over the world: males are not supposed to enter the women's room. It's been that way for generations. Was that decision a slippery slope? What do you think it might "slip" into?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:38 pm

Brictoria wrote:

How can it be an attack on self identifying transgender women, but not an attack on actual transgender women? Is a self identifying trans person even necessarily a problem? They are all self identifying until they get some recognition from an authority like a doctor.

Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

The onus is on you to show how it is an attack, not for others to show it isn't. They can then refute your claims, which will in turn demonstrate that which you ask.

The fact that you appear "triggered" by this gives the appearance that while you can intellectually see that it is not an attack, you aren't able to balance this with your "beliefs" regarding the subject matter.

No, I know that it is an attack, she might even think that she is excluding "the good transgenders", but it does not make it any less of an attack. What are transwomen who may not yet able to pass so well meant to look at that and think? That it is fine because the other people will be able to look into their minds and know that they are not crocodiles?

It is an attack because no where in that comic does it leave wiggle room for actual transgender people to be accepted, I already said it would be more fine if it did find a way, but it does not. I am not asking you to prove a negative, I am asking you to prove how it does not leave actual transgender people lumped in with the monsters. You can't.

I will calm down for a moment and express what I intellectually see. I think she is scared, that as a previous generation feminist a lot of the rights of women was won by what biological pieces women are supposed to have and fighting for their autonomy over that, and that men are the oppressors. I think that her beliefs in these areas do not line up with what she is being told now that some girls are born with boy bits, and she is so absolutely afraid of men as monsters, that she does not think their safety is worth the actual minimal possibility that some monster would use it as an excuse. Because in her mind, men are dangerous, this is what the older feminists spread where they might punish young boys for being born male.

As an AMAB non-binary person I find it incredibly offensive, and I know that there are people who would find it more so than me. If you don't understand why, try to listen for once instead of assuming we don't know why. Because I can assure you that the trans-women forced into men's room are far more in danger from the predators who would try something as brazing as pretending to get into women's spaces than cis women.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:50 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
It is an attempt to shut down the discussion by saying better safe than sorry

Oh. Jesus! Really? How is she trying to shut down discussion? That sounds like the cancel culture, to me. She's just expressing an opinion, then the morons come at her with moronic terms like "TERF", and all the cult members of the radical left fall in line like good little brainwashed sheeple.

That's not exactly a tactic that leads to intelligent discussion, is it?

By portraying the discussion as being about obvious malicious monsters, and leaves out all nuance in favor of fear.

If it sounds like just someone expressing an opinion to you, then you are fine with thinking that trans-women are not women, let alone what trans-men are.

I assume this is fine?

Newspaper comics are pretty much always about exaggeration, but there is a point that it goes past portraying one's opinions in a somewhat edgy way, and straight into discrimination because crocodiles are not newts. For one newt is not a social construct but a biological term, unlike the word woman in terms of gender.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:56 pm

starkid wrote:
It's already been decided though, in countries all over the world: males are not supposed to enter the women's room. It's been that way for generations. Was that decision a slippery slope? What do you think it might "slip" into?

Its already slipping....the coming out of #caitlynjenner mean't male-female trans are advocating mpre rights including public bathroom access

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 8:57 pm

Funny. I don't remember Rowling saying anything like that. Could you provide me the text that proves your assertion?

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 9:02 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

How can it be an attack on self identifying transgender women, but not an attack on actual transgender women? Is a self identifying trans person even necessarily a problem? They are all self identifying until they get some recognition from an authority like a doctor.

Brictoria wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

No, I know that it is an attack, she might even think that she is excluding "the good transgenders", but it does not make it any less of an attack. What are transwomen who may not yet able to pass so well meant to look at that and think? That it is fine because the other people will be able to look into their minds and know that they are not crocodiles?

It is an attack because no where in that comic does it leave wiggle room for actual transgender people to be accepted, I already said it would be more fine if it did find a way, but it does not. I am not asking you to prove a negative, I am asking you to prove how it does not leave actual transgender people lumped in with the monsters. You can't.

I will calm down for a moment and express what I intellectually see. I think she is scared, that as a previous generation feminist a lot of the rights of women was won by what biological pieces women are supposed to have and fighting for their autonomy over that, and that men are the oppressors. I think that her beliefs in these areas do not line up with what she is being told now that some girls are born with boy bits, and she is so absolutely afraid of men as monsters, that she does not think their safety is worth the actual minimal possibility that some monster would use it as an excuse. Because in her mind, men are dangerous, this is what the older feminists spread where they might punish young boys for being born male.

As an AMAB non-binary person I find it incredibly offensive, and I know that there are people who would find it more so than me. If you don't understand why, try to listen for once instead of assuming we don't know why. Because I can assure you that the trans-women forced into men's room are far more in danger from the predators who would try something as brazing as pretending to get into women's spaces than cis women.

Let's put this in simple terms:
Self-identifying - no external indication\evidence of being trans (appearance\clothing\mannerisms\etc.), appearance would (objectively) be different to that with which they are "identifying" as. As such, entering the bathroom for the gender with which they do not"self identify" would not be an issue, unless they choose to make it such.

There is nothing in what was in the cartoon (or accompanying leter) that indicates any belief that runs counter to the "trans" beliefs other than a difference in where the line between "self identifying" and "trans" begins.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2020, 10:12 pm

For those interested in some background on bathroom politics
https://www.vox.com/2016/5/5/11592908/t ... aws-rights