Page 2 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 5:18 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Obama cannot run again for President...
Before anyone asks, neither can "Slick Willy".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 5:25 pm

Shrapnel wrote:
Wasn't FDR elected to 4 terms, serving three of them?

George Washington said "two terms is enough for any man" and set it as a custom to just serve two terms.

It was the custom, but not the law. FDR broke with custom. But (as said above) his death caused them to actually make it law.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 5:32 pm

I have had day dreams about Trump swapping jobs the Arnold Schwartznegger, and having Trump go back to hosting the Apprentice. Go ahread and keep the oval office in the GOP. But at least have a competent GOPer with governing experience there.

But alas the Constitution wont allow that either, because you cant have a foreign born POTUS. And Arnold was born in Austria. :(

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2020, 10:49 pm

I thought a president could serve as many terms as possible.

The limit is only on the number of *elected terms*.

So, isn't that a backdoor for Obama? Biden resigns and VP Obama becomes president

Be the hero of your life.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 2:32 am

Fnord wrote:
Vegeta wrote:
I hope Obama runs again 2024 He didnt do too bad i hope he runs again this current time sucks the covid 19 doesnt help either. Hope he can re run after this plague is over i pray to god he re runs
He cannot run again.  The 22nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution limits presidents to 2 terms only.

Barack Obama has already served 2 terms as president.

This has been covered in this thread already. Why the repetition? Do you actually read threads beyond the first posting? Odd.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 2:36 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

So, isn't that a backdoor for Obama? Biden resigns and VP Obama becomes president

No, you're wrong. 10 years is the max. Maybe, in theory, Biden could replace his VP with Obama after his 2-year mark, then resign immediately, allowing Obama to finish off the last 2 years of his term, but that would be it for Obama.

Replacing a VP before the end of a term is (to the best of my knowledge) unprecedented.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 2:55 am

am i the only one who doesn't want him back...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Vegeta
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2020, 3:09 am

Maye His wife could run i suppose or Andrew Yang. This counrties doomed either way this next 4 years.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 3:13 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
am i the only one who doesn't want him back...

He's had his time, like any other president since FDR. I agree, his time is up, regardless of how anyone feels about him. More than 8 years of ANY president is overkill.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 5:53 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

No, you're wrong. 10 years is the max. Maybe, in theory, Biden could replace his VP with Obama after his 2-year mark, then resign immediately, allowing Obama to finish off the last 2 years of his term, but that would be it for Obama.

There is the issue of the 12th amendment.
12th Amendment
Quote:
But no person constitutionally ineligible to the office of President shall be eligible to that of Vice-President of the United States

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 6:06 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Actually you could serve (in effect) three terms. If you were a vice POTUS, and the POTUS dies in office, and you take over and finish the rest of his term, you can still be elected to two more terms. But that doesnt apply to Obama.

Actually, that's ONLY if the VP assumes office after the two-year mark. No one may serve more than 10 years tops. If the VP takes over on the two year anniversary (or later), he can run twice. (2 four-year terms + the last 2 years of taking over from the president = 10 years or less). If it's any earlier, he can only run once. 10 years is the magic cap.

When JFK was assassinated, he was nearly 3 years into his term. LBJ finished off, ran, and won. LBJ could have run a second time (less than 10 years total), but chose not to.

EDIT: Nixon resigned a year-and-a-half into his second term, which Ford finished. Ford lost the '76 election, but, had he won, he would have been ineligible to run again in 1980.

Interesting.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 6:13 am

I think that Frederick Douglas should run. He would be good.

Well...Trump talked about Douglas like he is still alive. So he must still be alive! :D

If Douglas isnt feeling very alive right now they could just shoot up with ammonia, and he will be good as new!

And the Constitution doesnt say anything about barring folks from the Oval Office just because they are pushing 200 years old. :lol:

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 6:28 am

I hated his foreign policy, which is the only thing I care about regarding the US president.

To me, his support for the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, and his general sympathy to radical Islamist movements, was very controversial and unjustified, calling the army's coup d'état as "undemocratic" (he failed to see the 10s of millions in the streets who were cheering FOR the coup).

Egypt today would have been in a much worse state if Morsi and his cronies kept ruling (hint: another ISIS-like state, pyramids bombed).

https://constructionreviewonline.com/20 ... n-project/

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 27 Jul 2020, 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 7:01 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

Replacing a VP before the end of a term is (to the best of my knowledge) unprecedented.

The 22nd amendment doesn't appear to state a hard 10 year limit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-se ... nstitution

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 7:05 am

The 22nd amendment appears to say you cannot be ELECTED for more than two terms

However, a former two term president could be Speaker of the House, and assume the presidency and be president for a total of 12 years?

Where is this 10 year limit coming from?

"Section 1. No person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice[/b], and no person who has held the office of President, or acted as President, for more than two years of a term to which some other person was elected President shall be elected to the office of the President more than once. But this Article shall not apply to any person holding the office of President when this Article was proposed by the Congress, and shall not prevent any person who may be holding the office of President, or acting as President, during the term within which this Article becomes operative from holding the office of President or acting as President during the remainder of such term"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-se ... nstitution

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2020, 7:09 am

So ....

1) Obama is appointed to replace the elected VP.
2) Biden resigns.
3) Obama assumes presidency.
5) Obama can be president for a total of 12 years?