Page 1 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 4:14 am

I know it's a fragile topic but I believe it would be healthier to discuss it here than to get other threads randomly hijacked by it.

I don't have any strong opinion myself. I think it's more a post-colonial issue of not-always-nice history beyond the current status quo.
I would love to hear different points of view.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 4:32 am

My understanding of white supremacy is that it's the idea that white people are the superior race, and are thus more deserving of moral consideration than people of other races.

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:13 am

I'm "black" (well, brownish), and many of the "black" people I know appear to be "black supremacists". It may often be defensive because of historical events, but nevertheless, there we are. I've known a fair number of Asians closely (involved in college groups), and I met some pretty "supremacist" types who thought their group was the best. And so on.

I think a certain amount of "my group is best!" is natural, if not completely healthy. I know that such opinions are (rightfully) anathema at Universities...but the World is not a University. Yet.

If by "white supremacy" one merely means a preference for one's (rather successful) group, well some of that seems inevitable (if lamentable) to me. It's great that such attitudes are much less frequent these days.

More aggressive stances, like "whites are the only group that should be allowed here!" suck...but again, many other countries have lots of folk who think that way.

FWIW I think the issue is waaay overblown these days. If you run into Nazis, or Klansman, they may be provocateurs on a government payroll. I am serious; there are thousands of such scoundrels.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 5:22 am

Romofan wrote:
I'm "black" (well, brownish), and many of the "black" people I know appear to be "black supremacists". It may often be defensive because of historical events, but nevertheless, there we are. I've known a fair number of Asians closely (involved in college groups), and I met some pretty "supremacist" types who thought their group was the best. And so on.

I think a certain amount of "my group is best!" is natural, if not completely healthy. I know that such opinions are (rightfully) anathema at Universities...but the World is not a University. Yet.

If by "white supremacy" one merely means a preference for one's (rather successful) group, well some of that seems inevitable (if lamentable) to me. It's great that such attitudes are much less frequent these days.

More aggressive stances, like "whites are the only group that should be allowed here!" suck...but again, many other countries have lots of folk who think that way.

FWIW I think the issue is waaay overblown these days. If you run into Nazis, or Klansman, they may be provocateurs on a government payroll. I am serious; there are thousands of such scoundrels.

I am quite fond of my culture but I don't think one needs pure European ancestry to be part of it...

Romofan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:41 am

I am quite fond of my culture but I don't think one needs pure European ancestry to be part of it...

I'm proud to identify with "Western Culture". And it isn't just for Europeans,

However, it is largely the product of Europeans and differs profoundly from non-European cultures.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:48 am

I think John Wayne was being honest back in 1971 - his definition is what a lot of Americans think but too afraid to say
"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 5:53 am

Romofan wrote:
I'm proud to identify with "Western Culture". And it isn't just for Europeans,.

Every country in the world follows some level of "western culture" even North Korea

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 5:57 am

cyberdad wrote:
I think John Wayne was being honest back in 1971 - his definition is what a lot of Americans think but too afraid to say
"I believe in white supremacy until the blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don’t believe in giving authority and positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.”

I can see his point - just two issues:
1. Are under-funded black schools and other forms of segregation and discrimination aimed at keeping white supremacy justified?
2. What about whites who are not "educated to a point of responsibility"? They seem quite prominent in the US nowadays.

Last edited by magz on 05 Aug 2020, 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 6:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Romofan wrote:

Every country in the world follows some level of "western culture" even North Korea

I prefer the term "global culture" for it. A lot of it originated in Europe but there are contributions from everywhere.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 6:18 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Romofan wrote:

I prefer the term "global culture" for it. A lot of it originated in Europe but there are contributions from everywhere.

in the 20th century global = western

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 6:20 am

cyberdad wrote:

It's been 21st century for two decades now...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 6:21 am

magz wrote:
2. What about whites who are not "educated to a point of responsibility"? They seem quite prominent in the US nowadays.

Ironically this was the precise argument made by those who opposed democratic (one person one vote) elections in the 19th century. Voting should be left to those who carry social status and make considered careful decisions with a sober responsible mind.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 6:22 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

rephrased - From the 20th century globalism was associated with the spread of western culture

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 6:26 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:

Ironically this was the precise argument made by those who opposed democratic (one person one vote) elections in the 19th century. Voting should be left to those who carry social status and make considered careful decisions with a sober responsible mind.

That would be perfect in the perfect world but practice shows, Power Corrupts and being raised above others is a perfect ground for abuse. In democracy, too, unfortunately.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2020, 6:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

rephrased - From the 20th century globalism was associated with the spread of western culture

Being only questionably Western, I find this belief arrogant. Various cultures join the global one on their own terms. The whole East Asia is an enormous contributor to modern world. Same with India. Turkish soap operas are conquering the Middle East. Japanese psychologists are adamant about parents sleeping together with their children.
Current global culture is only discovering its Western bias.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2020, 6:47 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Being only questionably Western, I find this belief arrogant. Various cultures join the global one on their own terms. The whole East Asia is an enormous contributor to modern world. Same with India. Turkish soap operas are conquering the Middle East. Japanese psychologists are adamant about parents sleeping together with their children.
Current global culture is only discovering its Western bias.

Yes but everyone wears pants and collared shirts and dresses - checkmate