Page 1 of 6 [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 10:42 pm

Did anyone notice how similar anti-maskers are to anti-vaxxers?

Here are some examples of what I think (feel free to add more if you want):

1. They argue that masks/vaccines (M/V) are a threat to personal liberty and freedom

2. They claim that M/V are unhealthy to use

3. They managed to make nonpolitical issues political

4. They make excuses not to use M/V on the basis of religious or moral beliefs

5. They literally throw tantrums when people tell them to use M/V

6. They will likely end up getting sick, which is a direct result of their actions

I've seen many other similarities, but these are just a few that I've noticed lately.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 10:44 pm

i always noticed a big amount of overlap...

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 10:48 pm

What does M/V stand for?

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2020, 11:03 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
What does M/V stand for?

Masks/vaccines.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 1:22 am

warrier120 wrote:

1. They argue that masks/vaccines (M/V) are a threat to personal liberty and freedom

6. They will likely end up getting sick, which is a direct result of their actions

I've seen many other similarities, but these are just a few that I've noticed lately.
I don't think people should be forced to use masks I think that it should be a choice. HOWEVER what i can't stand is how everyone acts like plastic gloves are gonna help. Only way your truely protecting yourself is if you use hand-sanitizer before and after you enter and exit anywhere and never go anywhere near your head in general. There's so much paranoia surrounding it all. People act like if you catch COVID-19 you will die instantly. Which just isn't true quite frankly. I believe wearing a mask should be optional. However it's stupid not to. You can go for a hour or two at most while wearing a mask.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 8:48 pm

Conservatives dismissing medical science for reasons that boil down to paranoia and contrarianism? Perish the thought.
They act like medical professionals telling them "Hey, if we want to fight this and don't want people to die, we need to do x" is tyrannical.

Honestly the best way we could have gotten these people to wear masks is if democratic politicians had tried emphatically to tell them not to. Just get Chuck Schumer up on a stage and have him say "I want American conservatives to know that you should NEVER wear a mask to prevent the spread of the virus. I speak for all Democrats when I say that it would make me absolutely ecstatic if every Republican in this country went around taking deep, deep breaths in crowded places without wearing a mask".

It's ignorant contrarianism masquerading as free thinking. Like anti-vaxxers. And climate change denial. And tobacco science denial, but they're careful to sweep that last one under the rug.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2020, 9:23 pm

^ Yeah, it's so childish t's unbelivable.

I haven't considered that, but they sure do have things in common.

IMO anti-maskers are worse though, because we don't even have a vaccine yet for those of us who want it.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2020, 9:37 pm

Anti-vaxxers, anti-maskers, climate change deniers. Generally the same people. Definitely the same selfish entitled ignorance.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:47 pm

They do seem to fit a similar profile.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 1:50 pm

Maskers are similar to social justice warriors

"Holier than thou" attitude

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 2:37 pm

I know what you mean, I hate it when I'm trying to walk in the middle of the road and some pretentious know-it-all starts telling me that it's "dangerous" because I *might* get "hit by a car" or something silly - well it's MY body and MY freedom, and I don't need some holier than thou social justice warrior trying to "protect" me or telling me how much "better" it is to walk on the sidewalk... and anyway, cars have steering so they can just go around me... whats the big deal? stupid safety nanny fascists... Next they'll be whining and crying about me throwing bricks off of highway overpasses because "ooh, somebody *might* die!" or something - what a bunch of busy-bodies, telling people what they can and can't do... After that you'll tell me I have to actually PAY for things before I take take them from a store. You have NO right to tell me what I "have" to do with MY money! I can speed in a school zone if I want to! Freedom!

/sarcasm

Even the Americans with Disabilities act clearly states that an accommodation that puts the greater public at risk as a result is NOT a "reasonable accommodation". Even a licensed service dog in the possession of a legally disabled person, CAN LEGALLY be made to leave, if the dog is not suitably behaved. PERIOD. Even the first amendment has exceptions. Society has certain expectations. Many of them exist for good reason. Usually much better reasons than the ones given by people who want to ignore those rules. Just wear your damn seatbelt. Or mask. Or whatever.

Wanna talk about "holier-than-thou"? How about the people who think the rules don't apply to them because "freedom!" (bald eagle screeches).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 4:34 pm

Pieplup wrote:
warrier120 wrote:

I don't think people should be forced to use masks I think that it should be a choice. HOWEVER what i can't stand is how everyone acts like plastic gloves are gonna help. Only way your truely protecting yourself is if you use hand-sanitizer before and after you enter and exit anywhere and never go anywhere near your head in general. There's so much paranoia surrounding it all. People act like if you catch COVID-19 you will die instantly. Which just isn't true quite frankly. I believe wearing a mask should be optional. However it's stupid not to. You can go for a hour or two at most while wearing a mask.

Only 20% of people will end up in the hospital who get the virus, the 80% will make recovery without any medical intervention.

Hearing this eases my anxiety and I can live my life without any anxiety about catching this virus. Worrying about it is like worrying about getting hit by a car when I am on the sidewalk or crossing at a crosswalk or worrying about getting in an accident.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 4:40 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Only 20% of people will end up in the hospital who get the virus, the 80% will make recovery without any medical intervention.

Hearing this eases my anxiety and I can live my life without any anxiety about catching this virus. Worrying about it is like worrying about getting hit by a car when I am on the sidewalk or crossing at a crosswalk or worrying about getting in an accident.

It's relevant to note the people hospitalised are the very old > 75. This group already practice extreme social distancing and mask wearing. People working in nursing homes are under strict protocols to protect these individuals.

The percentage of younger people getting hospitalised is < 1%.

In Australia if you are using public transport or in situations where social distancing is not possible then masks are recommended not mandatory. In Australia our entire death toll is 100 which is miniscule and we have never had to wear masks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 4:43 pm

It's hilarious how conservatives claim to be so logical but yet they deny science. They also claim to be critical thinkers but what they are is they refuse to update their beliefs.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 4:46 pm

League_Girl wrote:
It's hilarious how conservatives claim to be so logical but yet they deny science. They also claim to be critical thinkers but what they are is they refuse to update their beliefs.

Are you talking about conservatives who oppose mask wearing? my understanding is that in the US the primary source of infection has been the lack of social distancing on public transport rather than not wearing masks.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2020, 5:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Are you talking about conservatives who oppose mask wearing? my understanding is that in the US the primary source of infection has been the lack of social distancing on public transport rather than not wearing masks.

Yes, I don't know any conservatives who believe in mask wearing. Instead all I have seen them do is whine and whine about their freedom being stripped away and acting like how oppressed they are.