Page 8 of 8 [ 128 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 2:54 am

Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Barchan wrote:
Meanwhile, hardcore right wing organizations never have any problem with police, and literal fascists like the Patriot Front get to march around with their rifles and police support them 100%, and they are never arrested.

Yes this doesn't sit comfortably with me either.

It probably comes down to how the different groups are acting and how they respond to the police: If a group is acting peacefully, then there won't be a problem. If the group is hostile to the police, or acting in a hostile\destructive manner, then the police will react accordingly.

I have seen videos and personal stories where people are at protests and they were not even destroying anything and they were just standing there when they get attacked with tear gas or get shot with a rubber bullet.

WTF is wrong with the police shooting at innocent people who are just standing there? This was going on before Trump started sending out troops.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Barchan wrote:
Meanwhile, hardcore right wing organizations never have any problem with police, and literal fascists like the Patriot Front get to march around with their rifles and police support them 100%, and they are never arrested.

It probably comes down to how the different groups are acting and how they respond to the police: If a group is acting peacefully, then there won't be a problem. If the group is hostile to the police, or acting in a hostile\destructive manner, then the police will react accordingly.

Admittedly I haven't seen right wingers damaging public property but they come armed to the teeth at rallies. Certainly intimidating to normal folk.

I guess that would be a subjective opinion....If people are used to living in a society where guns are more common, then it would have less impact than it would on those in countries with restrictive gun laws (like Australia).

It would also help deter those seeking to cause trouble through using those with the guns as a "shield" to hide behind due to the possibilty of the shield turning on them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:01 am

League_Girl wrote:
I have seen videos and personal stories where people are at protests and they were not even destroying anything and they were just standing there when they get attacked with tear gas or get shot with a rubber bullet..

Watch the US civil rights march videos, there are some doozies of police happily piling into women and children with trudgeons back in the 1960s.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:03 am

Brictoria wrote:
It would also help deter those seeking to cause trouble through using those with the guns as a "shield" to hide behind due to the possibilty of the shield turning on them.

Who are the "those" you are referring to? I assume it's the recent appearance of the black militia you are talking about those hiding behind?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I have seen videos and personal stories where people are at protests and they were not even destroying anything and they were just standing there when they get attacked with tear gas or get shot with a rubber bullet..

Watch the US civil rights march videos, there are some doozies of police happily piling into women and children with trudgeons back in the 1960s.

I noticed everyone around me was blaming all the police violence on Trump saying since he has been in office, people have been more racist and police have gotten more violent.

But if police violence has always happened during civil rights protests, it is not Trump then that caused it.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:07 am

League_Girl wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Barchan wrote:

I have seen videos and personal stories where people are at protests and they were not even destroying anything and they were just standing there when they get attacked with tear gas or get shot with a rubber bullet.

WTF is wrong with the police shooting at innocent people who are just standing there? This was going on before Trump started sending out troops.

The question is, though, were there others there who WERE causing trouble (maybe just out of frame), or hiding behind the innocent protesters and using them as a shield?

If the protesters were to "police" their protests, separating those there to cause trouble from the real protesterss, then this would be a lot less likely to occur. By doing nothing to remove those agitators from the innocent protesters, they are implicitly condoning the actions, and giving the appearance of supporting the acts.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 3:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
Brictoria wrote:

Who are the "those" you are referring to? I assume it's the recent appearance of the black militia you are talking about those hiding behind?

I'd guess a large portion of the recent BLM protesters went with innocent intentions, aiming to peacefully protest. However others are happy to go along, and stand towards the back, using the true protesters as a shield they can hide in\behind in order to throw objects at police\damage property. If the protesters actively worked to isolate\detain these people, then the police would be much less likely to intervene in the protest.

Similarly, it is (was?) only a relatively small number of people involved in the attack on the couorthouse in Portland(?), but through the lack of effort by the innocent protesters to stop this, the entire protest is then associated with these actions.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 7:08 am

Brictoria wrote:
Similarly, it is (was?) only a relatively small number of people involved in the attack on the couorthouse in Portland(?), but through the lack of effort by the innocent protesters to stop this, the entire protest is then associated with these actions.

Its difficult to work out numbers. There was a considerable number of looters who may have been hiding behind the protests.

I never support damage to public property as that just means common people like me foot the bill.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 2:17 pm

I believe the looting is being done by people who are not part of the protest and they are just using it to do it. It's also been proven in the media as well. People who were arrested for looting and trashing buildings were not from the area.

Even minority businesses have been victims of their business being destroyed.

This is one of the things I am quiet about on social media so I don't get myself cancelled and this is also why I do not say what my usernames are on other places.

LittleGreenMen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2020, 6:45 pm

Protesters have attempted to curb the looting. The internet is rife with videos of legitimate protesters intervening in cases where some people have sought to smash and steal.

Also, it doesn't help that the media is primarily concerned with covering the violent protests, and ignoring the peaceful protests.

If it bleeds, it leads.

--LGM

LittleGreenMen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Aug 2020, 7:06 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
LittleGreenMen wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the current American version of Capitalism is a death cult that is eventually going to collapse.

You can't have a consumer-based economy and then keep suppressing wages to maximize profit. If the economy is to grow, then you can't keep reducing the buying power of the working class. It's fine to say that some people "deserve" to be poor on the basis that they don't posses skills that are in high demand, but if every American that is currently living paycheck-to-paycheck (which is an increasing number of people) suddenly decided to only buy what was strictly necessary for survival, then I wonder how long it's going to take for our country to implode?

Our current economic system is so wonderful that it needs to be bailed-out every ten years, and, if the current pandemic is any indication, it can be knocked over by little more than a stiff breeze. I'm hardly a great economic mastermind, but even my hillbilly self can see that we can't keep kicking the can down the road, and focusing on short term gains over long term stability.

Also, eat the rich. :wink:

And because those with the power ($) to fix it (Billionaires and the politicians they own) won't do it, there's going to be an implosion. Those powers will be happy to prod you all into fighting amongst yourselves, but the best possible outcome would be is if all poor and working class people put politics & race and other divisive nonsense aside and banded together to eat the rich. Maybe not literally lol but tear down their gates and ivory towers, use whatever force is necessary to redistribute their ill gotten gains. Literally everyone working together as one bug Robin Hood movement where the 1% either volunteer their vast wealth as reparations to society, or spend the rest of their lives on the run never again having a comfortable night's sleep. 8)

But what's more likely is poor people fighting poor people for scraps while the 1% carry on unscathed because people are stupid.

The U.S. is great at propaganda. We're indoctrinated from an early age that all it takes to succeed is "hard work," and, if you're poor, it's obviously because you're stupid/lazy. And the natural human tendency to want to feel superior to others doesn't help.

I'm poor. In a way, I almost feel bad for the middle class. At least I understand I'm a cog in a great machine and no one cares if I live or die. It's the people who think they're untouchable because they have "MarKetAble SkIllS" that are going to be completely poleaxed when they learn that the 1% don't care about them either.

The rich didn't get that way because they're nice. The rich got their wealth by exploiting labor, and they don't want to pay engineers and plumbers their fair share any more than they want to pay janitors and burger flippers. Capitalism doesn't have any answers for a post-job world, and this is only going to get worse before it gets better.

--LGM

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 7:26 pm

LittleGreenMen wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
LittleGreenMen wrote:
As far as I'm concerned, the current American version of Capitalism is a death cult that is eventually going to collapse.

You can't have a consumer-based economy and then keep suppressing wages to maximize profit. If the economy is to grow, then you can't keep reducing the buying power of the working class. It's fine to say that some people "deserve" to be poor on the basis that they don't posses skills that are in high demand, but if every American that is currently living paycheck-to-paycheck (which is an increasing number of people) suddenly decided to only buy what was strictly necessary for survival, then I wonder how long it's going to take for our country to implode?

Our current economic system is so wonderful that it needs to be bailed-out every ten years, and, if the current pandemic is any indication, it can be knocked over by little more than a stiff breeze. I'm hardly a great economic mastermind, but even my hillbilly self can see that we can't keep kicking the can down the road, and focusing on short term gains over long term stability.

Also, eat the rich. :wink:

And because those with the power ($) to fix it (Billionaires and the politicians they own) won't do it, there's going to be an implosion. Those powers will be happy to prod you all into fighting amongst yourselves, but the best possible outcome would be is if all poor and working class people put politics & race and other divisive nonsense aside and banded together to eat the rich. Maybe not literally lol but tear down their gates and ivory towers, use whatever force is necessary to redistribute their ill gotten gains. Literally everyone working together as one bug Robin Hood movement where the 1% either volunteer their vast wealth as reparations to society, or spend the rest of their lives on the run never again having a comfortable night's sleep. 8)

But what's more likely is poor people fighting poor people for scraps while the 1% carry on unscathed because people are stupid.

The U.S. is great at propaganda. We're indoctrinated from an early age that all it takes to succeed is "hard work," and, if you're poor, it's obviously because you're stupid/lazy. And the natural human tendency to want to feel superior to others doesn't help.

I'm poor. In a way, I almost feel bad for the middle class. At least I understand I'm a cog in a great machine and no one cares if I live or die. It's the people who think they're untouchable because they have "MarKetAble SkIllS" that are going to be completely poleaxed when they learn that the 1% don't care about them either.

The rich didn't get that way because they're nice. The rich got their wealth by exploiting labor, and they don't want to pay engineers and plumbers their fair share any more than they want to pay janitors and burger flippers. Capitalism doesn't have any answers for a post-job world, and this is only going to get worse before it gets better.

You are a lady after my own heart! :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 7:37 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I believe the looting is being done by people who are not part of the protest and they are just using it to do it. It's also been proven in the media as well. People who were arrested for looting and trashing buildings were not from the area.

Even minority businesses have been victims of their business being destroyed.

This is one of the things I am quiet about on social media so I don't get myself cancelled and this is also why I do not say what my usernames are on other places.

This is likely true, but the silence from BLM (the group behind the protests) regarding this gives the appearance that they implicitly support that type of behaviour.

Having an organiser from the group in Chicago actually come out and explicitly endorse the looting is even worse, as it then gives the appearance that the group explicity endorses that form of behaviour and will likely turn people away from supporting them:
Quote:
Members of Black Lives Matter held a solidarity rally on Monday night with the more than 100 individuals who were arrested after a night of looting and unrest in Chicago.

The rally was held at the South Loop police station where organizers say those individuals are currently being held in custody.

“I don’t care if someone decides to loot a Gucci or a Macy’s or a Nike store, because that makes sure that person eats,” Ariel Atkins, a BLM organizer, said.

Source: https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/black-lives-matter-holds-rally-supporting-individuals-arrested-in-chicago-looting-monday/2320365/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2020, 10:32 pm

I have scanned papers and there doesn't seem to be a uniform position on the looting from BLM leadership. It would be perhaps misrepresentative to cast all BLM leaders as endorsing the looting.

Much of the rhetoric coming from BLM is a outpouring of frustration over the accountability of the police. I remember quite distinctly the Minneapolis police were slow to act on the death of George Floyd which triggered the first wave of protests. Had the media not got involved I very much doubt the 4 officers would have been prosecuted and more likely quietly transferred to another precinct as is typical in those cases involving police brutality.

However once action was taken (belatedly) against the 4 officers the protests were already out of control. I think the BLM leadership has not articulated their opposition to the looting well enough, their empathy and incitement for the rioting is unfortunate (keeping in mind many of the looters were white and Latino as with the Rodney King riots in the 90s).

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2020, 11:57 pm

ComteRenoir wrote:
Quote:
In social and cultural matters on the other hand, it has been the case for at least the last 15-20 years (certainly in the UK) that social liberalism (and its increasingly illiberal offsprings identity politics and 'political correctness') have been taking root amongst the political classes, the media, and now in the business world. Socially conservative opinions have been marginalized, and the very expression of them has become so difficult (verging on illegal in some cases) that I think it's becoming necessary to question whether we still live in a fully democratic society.

This is depressing. I grew up in the 1960s and 1970s, a time when it was possible to hold (and express) a far more diverse range of opinions. The ironic thing is that one of the clarion calls of those who have managed to roll back such diversity is the word 'diversity' itself.

What you call "identity politics" is nothing more than a matter of necessity. People of color, gay people, trans people, disabled people, whoever you want, DO have a different experience to more privileged groups, and acknowledging it as such is necessary for improving people's lives. And "political correctness"? What are you talking about? Sorry you can't openly say slurs I guess.

The reason why so-called "socially conservative views" are marginalized is because few can deny any longer that they're bigoted and harmful. Campaigning against LGBT rights, demonizing immigrants, hand-waving away racism as anything besides racism, are undeniably harmful. That is what "socially conservative" views are. Funny how you and the op are only talking about them in the abstract. I'm not going to entertain bigoted ideas out of politeness.

Quote:
Black is white. Truth is falsehood. 2+2=5.

Maybe you should find another justification for your reactionary ideology than a book written by a socialist who fought with anarchists in Spain.

And ignore that arrests without trial, drone bombing citizens, unchecked monetary bafoonery, military adventures that will bankrupt the US, and banksters are still roaming the streets. If you are not questioning orthodoxy you are the problem. Also if some of the examples are US centric and don't apply my apologies as at least here no one seems to give a damn about any of those things.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2020, 12:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
The far more diverse range of conservative opinions during the 1960s and 1970s seems to have been mainly the result of backlash against laws prohibiting overt expressions of bigotry (i.e., racism, sexism, et cetera) and the covert oppression of women and non-whites.

It is not so much that Conservatives are complaining that they are being suppressed, as it is that they don't seem to be happy with non-Conservative voices being heard and paid attention to.[/color]

Starts as reply then goes all over the place:

Racist views in that time period were considered “right wing”. Conservatism was being for more negative consequences for bad behavior be it lazyness whining, excuse making, and criminality. Conservatism at the time was heavily conflated with support of the ongoing Vietnam War effort, patriotic symbolism, pro military etc. Conservatism at the time also meant things like thinking too much government deficits is a bad thing. Some racists hid behind conservatism most notably in opposing judicially ordered school busing and other government mandated integration.

Nowadays conservatism is conflated with Trumpism and the alt right. “Deficit Hawk“ ehh what, can you visit them in zoos with rare animal collections?. This is the fault of those Trump supporters whom made him a cult of personality. A cult who is centered around destroying things and owning the libs. The old fashioned conservatives have been put out to pasture just as ingloriously as the regressive left is attempting to do to non purists. It is also the fault of the conservatives who know this as bad but just cannot pass up the opportunity to get some policies they want implemented.

Yes it is understandable and inevitable that people would be radicalized, want to destroy and eliminate any element of conservative thought because conservative thought equals racist thought because that is the thought most seen.

And it sure looks like at some point in the near future those Trumpian conservatives are going to be owned in ways they can’t even imagine. The left are younger and understand how to use technology better and they are masters at altering language for their purposes in ways the makes most attempts at resisting look stupid and bigoted.

That does not make it right. It makes it compounding the problems. It makes it inevitable that those celebrating the seemingly inevitable owning of conservatism will be owned themselves and faster then they think. Final result everybody loses.

Very well put. This is almost as bad as any policy that either party puts in place. I have gotten to the point that I want to brace for any BS and let the chips fall where they may. In other words act like we are going down the road Argentina has been down for 70 years and plan accordingly.