[ POLL ] Regarding the 5 Columns of Government & Society.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Do you agree with the "Five Columns" concept?
Definitely Yes -- I agree with each and all of the concepts presented. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Mostly Yes -- I agree with most of the concepts, with a few exceptions. 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Cannot Decide -- I may have to ponder the matter further. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mostly No -- I disagree with most of the concepts, with a few exceptions. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Definitely No -- I disagree with each and all of the concepts presented. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Elaborate). 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 10:30 am

Given this list of concepts or "Columns" upholding a government of, by, and for The People...

1ST COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Liberty, which is the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

2ND COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Unity, which is the quality or state of two or more entities coming together in agreement to form a greater whole.

3RD COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Justice, which is the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments without regard to wealth or status.

4TH COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Equality, which is the right of different groups of people to have a similar social position and receive the same treatment under the law.

5TH COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Insurrection, which is the right of citizens to reject the authority of their rulers and govern themselves.  Historically, this has been applied as a label to any group of people who undermine a larger group from within, usually in favour of an outside enemy group or nation.  The activities of such a "5th Column" can be overt or clandestine.  Forces gathered in secret can mobilize openly to assist an external attack.  This term is also extended to organized actions by military personnel.  Clandestine 5th Column activities can involve acts of sabotage, disinformation, or espionage executed within defense lines by secret sympathizers with an external force.

... please select an option from the attached poll.  You may select only one option, but you may change your selection at any time, and for any reason.

Please note that if anyone -- and you know who you are -- tries to hijack this thread to advance his or her own political agenda, then I will ask the moderators to lock this thread.  Due to this notice, hijacking this thread will be considered a purposeful act to have it locked, and I will report the person committing the act to the moderators.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 11:41 am

America is in theory colum 1, whether that works out in reality is anyone's guess.

Non of the other options fit this country.

Last edited by vermontsavant on 23 Aug 2020, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Aug 2020, 11:46 am

Is the question whether we agree descriptively or prescriptively? In other words - are we being asked if we agree that this is how things are, or whether we think this is how things should be?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:04 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Is the question whether we agree descriptively or prescriptively? In other words - are we being asked if we agree that this is how things are, or whether we think this is how things should be?
I'm not the OP but I think it's how things are.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:22 pm

These 5 "Columns" should be considered collectively.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 12:46 pm

These are pretty much archaic terms and used ideologically.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 2:49 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Archaic or not, do you agree with them or not?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:

No. Building on my post in your other thread, they really don't reflect the complexity of social psychology or dynamics. They are not bad ideas, but really too simple. Life is messy and people are irrational.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2020, 3:27 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
To complex to absolute agreement or otherwise.If I had three hours to go over all of it depth it would a mixture of agreements and disagreements and partial agreements.

If were only talking about America,we can for purposes of theory put America in column 1 for liberty,but bring in the rest of the world and you have mixtures of things that would get tricky.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2020, 12:43 pm

"Given this list of concepts or "Columns" upholding a government of, by, and for The People...

1ST COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Liberty, which is the state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views.

2ND COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Unity, which is the quality or state of two or more entities coming together in agreement to form a greater whole.

3RD COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Justice, which is the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments without regard to wealth or status.

4TH COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Equality, which is the right of different groups of people to have a similar social position and receive the same treatment under the law.

5TH COLUMN: A term referring to the concept of Insurrection, which is the right of citizens to reject the authority of their rulers and govern themselves. Historically, this has been applied as a label to any group of people who undermine a larger group from within, usually in favour of an outside enemy group or nation. The activities of such a "5th Column" can be overt or clandestine. Forces gathered in secret can mobilize openly to assist an external attack. This term is also extended to organized actions by military personnel. Clandestine 5th Column activities can involve acts of sabotage, disinformation, or espionage executed within defense lines by secret sympathizers with an external force."

For Brevity Again; only Commenting on 'America':

This is a simple one in terms of Just this Country America: Liberty, Unity, Justice, Equality
Are All Noble Aims to Uphold the Republic of America, Through The Democracy Established Now.

'Insurrection' is the Antithesis to this Notion of Overall Unity; When We Get to that/this Part,
in Upholding A Government 'For the People'; We Are in Dire Straits as a Union; Obviously too.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick