Page 3 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 7:50 am

MaxE wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
I'm also having a hard time seeing exactly *what* people specifically have against Joe Biden's political views...

- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions 25 years ago?
- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions today?
- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions during the Middle Ages, when he was middle age?

I don't know if you're American, but the simple fact is that many Americans passionately despise Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, and anybody associated with those three, one of whom is Joe Biden. The reasons for hating them are irrelevant and debating those reasons is a waste of breath.

Australians have a reputation for backing the underdog...Being that there seems a surplus of support for one side, it is only natural to try and give the other side some support, and "even the odds".

Additionally, not being directly impacted by the results of the election, and so not being invested in one side or the other as a result, it provides the ability to take a much more objective view of the situation than is seen by the partisans who spend their time purely disparaging their opponents.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 7:54 am

I have to say, I actually agree with some of Biden AND Harris’ past positions on things. I don’t like the way in which they implemented things-like laughing as they did it. But I do like our political leaders to be tough on crime and drugs.

They both seem to have reversed many of their positions. It makes me wonder what is the deal? Will they keep their promises and turn their backs on their long held stances? If they do, why? Is someone else really controlling them, or did they have an honest change of heart? What exactly is the end game?

And I want to remind you guys that President Obama made many promises to get out of crazy wars and give the common people freedom. He ended up doing the opposite, while soothing us with his calm, sensible demeanor. I voted for him twice, and I still think McCain or Romney would have been worse.

I am wholeheartedly supporting the current president, but I’m also interested to see where things go with these two. Please, please, please let us have regular debates so we can learn more.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 7:58 am

Romofan wrote:
So...after all of this political back and forth, I acquired two lengthy Joe Biden biographies (neither by 'conservatives'). And plowed through them. This is what I found.

The actual Joe Biden bears almost no relationship to the guy people on WP seem to like. He is to the right of Donald Trump, and it isn't a particularly close call.

Joe Biden's historical legacy will probably rest on his helping to dismantle Roosevelt's New Deal, and on his zealous role as a drug warrior and tough-on-crime legislator.

He was for the dreadful Iraq War , for the mass incarceration of blacks, against gay marriage, and against the legalization of drugs. Against socialized medicine and against busing.

One particularly nasty piece of legislation that Biden spearheaded allowed cops to easily confiscate property. The biographer said that property taken from citizens went from a few million dollars into the billions.

Joe Biden is a neoliberal, foreign policy hawk, the architect of the nasty 1994 crime bill, and the slave of wealthy corporate backers---most of all the DuPont Corporation which all but runs his home state of Delaware. Millions of dollars have flowed to his brother and children from places like Communist China and the Ukraine. And closer to home, where his brother James was guilty of receiving millions of dollars of questionable loans from banks looking for favors.

He provoked the disability community last winter when a person with cerebral palsy, who used a communicative device. He had met with Biden at a rally early on to talk about his plan for people with disabilities. However, Biden showed his true colors by trying to prove he was above that individual. He called him "Buddy" and stroked his cheek.'

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:07 am

GGPViper wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
GGPViper wrote:
I'm also having a hard time seeing exactly *what* people specifically have against Joe Biden's political views...

- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions 25 years ago?
- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions today?
- Are they against Biden because they disagree with his policy positions during the Middle Ages, when he was middle age?
He was part of the old senate judiciary committee elite and was a long time senate insider and elitist.

Yet your reply tells me nothing about what you specifically disagree with Joe Biden about…
He personally rubs me the wrong way,and I am more conservative than his politics,as a person I don't like him.

His elitist attitude alienates me,does that make sense?

Last edited by vermontsavant on 21 Aug 2020, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Aug 2020, 8:12 am

^They should have gone for fresh faces, perhaps a Buttigieg-Duckworth ticket or a Warren-Harris one. Even if he changed his positions on things, it gives him baggage as well as weapons for his political foes to use against him. He's about as old as Emperor Palpatine and that's why he needs an apprentice who can be trained!

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:22 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Buttigieg

We almost got that, but we (Iowa) bungled our caucus horribly :oops: and the party wanted Biden more

We should probably be speculating on who the next VP will be when Harris becomes president :wink: :|

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:23 am

I move like a person with cerebral palsy. I had no problem with Trump making fun of the reporter, but let me tell you- someone who would stroke my face and call me Buddy would face my full stumbling wrath. THAT is disrespectful.

But what did you guys think about the national mandate on masks Biden mentioned? I’m not too down with that, but I know some others would feel safer going out if they knew everyone was wearing their masks.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:30 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
But what did you guys think about the national mandate on masks Biden mentioned? I’m not too down with that, but I know some others would feel safer going out if they knew everyone was wearing their masks.

I am down with that. I live in a high risk household and would love get back out there after 6 months in this prison. Cloth masks really only protect (to a degree) others from the wearer not the other way around.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:32 am

Joe Biden negatives:
-#1 he appears like an an "empty shell" for sale
-40 year career politician
-very elderly
-says he wants to raise taxes on everyone
-says he wants to restore the ACA penalty
-says he wants to legalize all the illegal aliens and hook then up with welfare and health care

On tv, negative ad runs that shows Biden bragging how he has three college degrees and finished top in his class. However, the ad says he only has 1 degree and finished at the bottom of his class.

Be the hero of your life.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

21 Aug 2020, 8:35 am

Brictoria wrote:
Australians have a reputation for backing the underdog...

Then why don’t you support England during the Ashes? :wink:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 8:43 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Brictoria wrote:
Australians have a reputation for backing the underdog...

Then why don’t you support England during the Ashes? :wink:

Well, following Ms Pelosi's example, we "Pray for them" :D

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 11:42 am

Feyokien wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Buttigieg

We almost got that, but we (Iowa) bungled our caucus horribly :oops: and the party wanted Biden more

We should probably be speculating on who the next VP will be when Harris becomes president :wink: :|

Buttigieg became the victim of a smear campaign, probably driven by Sanders supporters, in the liberal-leaning media after showing unexpected strength in the early primaries. All of a sudden, sites like Buzzfeed News were publishing exposes intended to show that he is a puppet of Wall Street. (etc.). Don't forget that Barack Obama himself was often subject to the same sort of attack.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2020, 12:16 pm

One Thing For
Sure, 'THE REAL JOE BIDEN'
Dam sure doesn't have any
Recognizable Form of Dementia
in His acceptance Speech for the
Democratic Convention; Considered
By Most As The Best In His Life;
Yes, He Stuttered
And Got Made
Fun of For
Dealing
With that
Human Functional
Challenge But Guess what
He Still Rose to the Top at
Age 77 and Gave His Best Speech
Delivering It 'Soul-Felt' in His Life.

That Much We Do Know NoW about 'The
Real Joe Biden'; For Any of Us Who Believe We are
Who We Were 50 Years ago; 10 Years ago or 10
Seconds ago; We Do Greater Feats of Humanity
than Before in Victory and Real Honor NoW As

Some continue to Rise;
Some Continue to Fall;
We All KNoW Should KNow WHere Trump
And His Supporters Are Currently Traveling
NoW in Terms of Pandemic Numbers and the
Such on 5th Avenue Now for all to see FOR REAL.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Aug 2020, 6:39 am

MaxE wrote:
Feyokien wrote:
envirozentinel wrote:
Buttigieg

Buttigieg became the victim of a smear campaign, probably driven by Sanders supporters, in the liberal-leaning media after showing unexpected strength in the early primaries. All of a sudden, sites like Buzzfeed News were publishing exposes intended to show that he is a puppet of Wall Street. (etc.). Don't forget that Barack Obama himself was often subject to the same sort of attack.

Buttigieg’s main problem was the same problem everyone to the right of Warren had: Joe Biden was more popular, particularly with black voters. Even emphasising his left-wing credentials was of limited use, because Warren and Sanders had that group on lock.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 7:41 am

i could never vote for plastic mitt, he is a documented gay basher, as a bully teen boy he got his gang to help him attack some gay kid with a pair of arts and crafts scissors [pathetic]. google it. biden is indeed less evil than the present megalomaniacal bastard, and in these days we must take what we can get. of course i'd prefer Liz or Bernie or Yang, if amuuurica weren't such a mess they would be viable top-of-the-list candidates, at least the first two, and i strongly lean towards the third. but biden at least won't rob 30 million+ american CITIZENS of their health care, or a 64 million+ CITIZENS of their social security and medicare. he wouldn't sabotage the post office to screw over people like me, i've been getting my bills past-due because of this crooked SOB. he wouldn't engage in stochastic terrorism which is a genuinely frightful reality here now. he is right of center but by no means as far-fascist-right-wing as the present POS tyrant and the truly scary psychopathic men behind the curtain who pull his strings. those who says he is further right than trumpolini are just not thinking it through, AFAIC.

eyelessshiver
Toucan
Toucan

22 Aug 2020, 5:00 pm

For me...it's more about the party than the person, given the relevant and long-standing issues...and most people should be able to pick a side. I'm not so much for nitty gritty on all the current events etc., I don't keep up that well with it.

Republican values like anti gay marriage, anti abortion, anti gun control...plus trying to reconnect church and state, etc., I don't side with. So it's highly unlikely I'll support a Republican candidate, and Trump is no different.