Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 3:01 pm

So I was going to my local university now that it is open, a bit gleeful that at least one thing I like has opened up (the local university library). Things are looking up. I figured I would need to put on a mask (makes sense), social distance (fair enough), etc. . So I go there, and it says I need a university card to get in. Oh well so I try to get in and there was the damned gestapo waiting at the door for me. He asks m for a card and I said I don't have one and moans on about how I can't go in. I parted by asking if I pay taxes for all this and left. As I got on the train, I realized how dark that image was, a vision of 1984 or Fahrenheit 451. If we can be denied knowledge (that we paid for with our stolen money <taxes>), then what is to stop you from being denied access to work due to a non-virus related issue, being denied use of your debit card because it is not what the establishment wants (happened to me when I tried to use MY MONEY to buy crypto), and when a library deems you not fit for some reason? This is deeply troubling to me and if the 2020's will be an evolution of this I will try to speed up my leave America plan as fast as I can.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2020, 5:05 pm

I wish I could leave this country.

Archmage Arcane
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Sep 2020, 8:59 pm

zacb wrote:
So I was going to my local university now that it is open, a bit gleeful that at least one thing I like has opened up (the local university library). Things are looking up. I figured I would need to put on a mask (makes sense), social distance (fair enough), etc. . So I go there, and it says I need a university card to get in. Oh well so I try to get in and there was the damned gestapo waiting at the door for me. He asks m for a card and I said I don't have one and moans on about how I can't go in. I parted by asking if I pay taxes for all this and left. As I got on the train, I realized how dark that image was, a vision of 1984 or Fahrenheit 451. If we can be denied knowledge (that we paid for with our stolen money <taxes>), then what is to stop you from being denied access to work due to a non-virus related issue, being denied use of your debit card because it is not what the establishment wants (happened to me when I tried to use MY MONEY to buy crypto), and when a library deems you not fit for some reason? This is deeply troubling to me and if the 2020's will be an evolution of this I will try to speed up my leave America plan as fast as I can.

If you're not a student, is there a way for you to get a 'community borrower' card? You might not get the same privileges as a student, but you would get in the door that way. Check their website, or go old-school and call them.