Page 16 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 21  Next

Which Religion Should Be The National Religion?
Animism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atheism 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Buddhism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Christianity 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Confucianism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Druidism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gnosticism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Islam 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Jainism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Judaism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mormonism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paganism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scientology 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Shamanism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shintoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zoroastrianism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ________________ (Please elaborate). 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 33

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2020, 12:30 pm

KT67 wrote:
Both Catholics and Protestants are Christian.

Don't forget about the Gnostics, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, the Baha'i faith, and the Westboro baptist church. They're just as Christian as Protestants.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2020, 12:33 pm

Lunella wrote:
I feel like a lot of people really don't know that much about Islam other than the negative crap the media comes out with.

A lot of my friends are Muslim, I'm not but from what I have seen Sunni Muslims are actually lovely people...

There are good and bad people in every religion. I know Muslims who are lovely people too and live more moral lives than many people who go to church every week and claim to be Christians. That's one reason I like to discuss the religion itself and not the people who are members of it.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2020, 12:42 pm

AngelRho wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
Completely false! Neither Leviticus, nor any other book in the Bible, condemn homosexuality as a sin nor call for any "homosexuals" (people with same sex attraction) to be killed or harmed in any way. The Bible does condemn immoral behavior as an abomination and the death penalty was a punishment for wicked actions but those laws applied to everyone, regardless of "orientation." The Christian church and Her bible has NEVER referred to homosexuals as abominations nor said they deserve to be harmed in any way. The church has always welcomed homosexuals and even has homosexual priests since same sex attraction has never been considered a sin.

I’m sorry...WHAT???

I’m gonna go out on a limb here...heck, it’s been years since I got an official WP reprimand, so I guess I’m due a good mod-spanking...

As far as what is ACTUALLY immoral, that is between you and God or between you and society, depending on context. So, trigger warning and disclaimer: the following is not meant to be taken to suggest I think anyone, or any group or protected class should be harmed. All I am doing is explaining what is actually in the Bible and what I believe was the intended purpose. It is not something I intend to promote or debate at length, but since there seems to be confusion about what is actually IN the Bible, I think it’s worth exploring in order to clarify what a Christ-like stand looks like.

First off, the scriptural basis for the alleged hate against homosexuals is entirely in the Old Testament and is explained in Paul’s letters. God created Man and Woman, with woman being created for the purpose of staying at Adam’s side as his helper and companion. If Eve was taken from a bone in Adam’s head, she’d rule over him; if from a bone in his foot, he’d trample over her. The intention (according to the Bible, not my personal opinion) was always that they were made male and female for each other, establishing a natural order. Homosexuality is considered in the Bible to be an abomination (Bible’s words, not mine) because it represents a rejection of the natural created order.

You can claim whatever you want but it's a fact that homosexuality (same sex attraction) is never condemned as a sin in scripture. There is no reason to think it might be a sin either. The verse you posted in Romans only refers to it as a disordered attraction. The verse in Leviticus doesn't mention homosexuality at all. Instead, it only refers to men lying with men which could be young men experimenting with each other or men lying with men in prison because women aren't available. Merely finding people attractive (whether it's someone of the same sex, your neighbor's wife, or your dog), which is often outside of people's control, isn't a sin. Only immoral behavior (such as lusting or sleeping with someone who is not your spouse) is a sin.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 12:55 pm

"Dear Lord, thank you for giving me the strength and the conviction to complete the task you entrusted to me. Thank you for guiding me straight and true through the many obstacles in my path. And for keeping me resolute when all around seemed lost. Thank you for your protection and your many signs along the way. Thank you for any good that I may have done, I'm so sorry about the bad. Thank you for the friend I made. Please watch over her as you watched over me. Thank you for finally allowing me to rest. I'm so very tired, but I go now to my rest at peace. Knowing that I have done right with my time on this earth. I fought the good fight, I finished the race, I kept the faith."

It's Worth Noting There Are Valuable Nuggets,
Indeed, Gold Nuggets of Wisdom that may Be
Found in so-called Holy and Sacred Text of
Most All Religions; Truly, When 95 Percent
of the Population Was Illiterate, including
Historical Records That Indicate Without Much
Doubt That Whoever Yeshua Was; Indeed, He Was
Illiterate Then and Most Everyone He Knew But Higher
Priests of 'the Church' With that Highest Prized Skill of
Reading and Writing then; For True, it is Those Who Control
'The Story' Who May Interpret it For Either Love or Evil Same Depending
on How Words that Are All Metaphor At Core Are Used to Free Or Imprison
Others Same True
And
Dark
In Lies
too; anyway the
Theatrical Production
of 'The Book of Eli', 'Nicely'
Illustrates What Happens when
Abstract Constructs Become Prison
Or Free For Human Beings, Depending
On Who Is in Charge; Leaders With Empathy
or Basically A Newer Meme of Trumps with No Soul;
But Anyway, in the Movie; Eli, Who Was Blind Remembered
Every Word in Soul; All 800 or So Thousand Words of the Old
King James Bible; After Books were Burned in a Physical Destruction
Nuclear in Nature in that World As Fictionally Depicted in the Movie;
But In Terms of Human
Nature; It Wasn't
Fiction in
How
Abstract
Constructs;
Yes, Stories in
Words in So-Called
Holy and Sacred Texts
Have Been Twisted Which
Ever Way those In Control Still Now
Wish to Materially and Emotionally In Harm
Subjugate And Control Freedoms of others
as Basic as Reproductive Freedoms, Core to the Survival
of All of us; whether Epigenetically Expressed as Heterosexual
Or Homosexual Orientations, Similar, When Population Stresses
Come the Same in the Rest of the Mammal Animal Kingdom Too;
Yeah; it's true 'You' Take away that Nature And 'You' Harm All of Us;
This is what is Dangerous
About the Worship
of Abstract
Constructs
Set in
Stone;
They Are
Not Green
They No Longer
Evolve As Living
Trees Leaves Now of
New to Fall and Fertilize
Leaves of Grass Spring In
New Green As Colors of FLoWeRS
Bring Life to All of Us this Way At Core

As Reality

IS CHANGE

LOCK UP FREEDOM
IN A BOOK AND IN ESSENCE
DESTROY THE NATURE OF
NATURE THAT IS CHANGE
IN EBB AND FLOW TO CREATE
NEW iN BALANCE MORE TOO;

Waves; Ocean Whole Water; Waves...

Anyway; the Destiny of Eli's Book,
A Carbon Copy Same, He Remembered then
of the Wisdom, Harm, And LoVE iN Illustrations of
the Old King James Bible, only In Words; Found its
Home In A New 'San-Francisco' Printing Press and
Library then; Just Shoulder to Shoulder With Other
Books; Termed Holy and Sacred too; But You See

This is Reality Now; Most Everyone Reads and Writes
And is Free Now in Freer Countries to Write their own
Personal Bibles now; and they do they do they do continue
to Write the Biggest Bible of Humanity Now; All and More
Than the Google Search Engine Will Ever Find Online; True,
Just makes my 8.4 MiLLioN Epic Long Form Poem Bible another
Piece of
Dust
in the
Wind i
Color myself;

True; Now i have the
Ability to Read Everyone
Else's Bibles in the World
to Get Inspired As this is what
Blogs are too; Just Personal Bibles in Flow;

i take advantage of it and continue to Evolve;

Others Stay in Smaller Places; True, there is the Cave still and Ocean too...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

Last edited by aghogday on 11 Sep 2020, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 1:16 pm

By the way the fact we can all have this conversation/debate relatively consequence free is something which is a positive of having either a nominal 'state religion' such as the COE in England or having a secular government which allows for all religions and none to be practiced.

If we were living under Bloody Mary/Oliver Cromwell/Certain Communist States/Radical Islam, we couldn't have this. It would be illegal and there would be bloody consequences for those who didn't practice the state religion (or in the case of state communism, who practiced religion).

That's the problem with strongly enforcing a national religion (beyond, for eg, saying the monarch has to be a specific religion) or with making religion illegal. It gets violent. Even if you had 100% proof of your religion, or that religion was all a hoax, I still don't think that should happen. Just like I don't think anyone should be put to death or sent to prison for being a flat earther.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2020, 1:43 pm

KT67 wrote:
By the way the fact we can all have this conversation/debate relatively consequence free is something which is a positive of having either a nominal 'state religion' such as the COE in England or having a secular government which allows for all religions and none to be practiced.

If we were living under Bloody Mary/Oliver Cromwell/Certain Communist States/Radical Islam, we couldn't have this. It would be illegal and there would be bloody consequences for those who didn't practice the state religion (or in the case of state communism, who practiced religion).

That's the problem with strongly enforcing a national religion (beyond, for eg, saying the monarch has to be a specific religion) or with making religion illegal. It gets violent. Even if you had 100% proof of your religion, or that religion was all a hoax, I still don't think that should happen. Just like I don't think anyone should be put to death or sent to prison for being a flat earther.

If Christianity (meaning the Catholic church) was the state religion, people would be allowed to practice their religion freely. There were few exceptions such as extremist cults in the Middle Ages that were similar to radical Islamic groups today that weren't tolerated but most people can understand why allowing a group to preach the equivalent of "Death to America!" and "Kill the infidels wherever you find them" is a threat to a civilized society.

Wthout a state religion, if a non-religious ideology becomes popular such as "liberalism", they persecute those who don't agree with them for no good reason. For example, a Christian pastor in Canada was charged with a crime for quoting the bible because a man with same sex attraction was offended (a "sin" according to "liberal" ideology). A Christian couple in Colorado was fined $120,000 and had to shut down their bakery because they didn't approve of baking a cake for a same sex union ceremony (thankfully, conservatives on the Supreme Court overturned it but if enough "liberals" were on the court it probably would have been upheld).

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 1:55 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
Fnord wrote:
DeathEmperor413 wrote:
That's exactly the problem I have with Christianity. Regardless if Catholic or Protestant, neither side wants to acknowledge the evil things they did to innocent people in order to spread their reach around the world. They claim that they want to save souls and make the world more civilized but in reality all they actually cared about was power.
That's pretty much the problem I have with all religions, especially the Abrahamic ones -- no one wants to acknowledge the evil that is inherent to each of their own religions, and then they go on to declare statements of truth about their religions are all "lies", and "propaganda", even though historical facts say otherwise.
You have yet to post any historical facts. Just because you found something in a Jack Chick tract or heard it from an anti-Christian preacher doesn't make it true.
He is not really protestant,he is just pretending to get under your skin,I would ignore such posts.
You have mis-judged me again.

And if you would ignore my posts, then why haven't you done so?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:02 pm

Fnord wrote:

And if you would ignore my posts, then why haven't you done so?[/color]

Mostly I do 8)

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:17 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
KT67 wrote:

If Christianity (meaning the Catholic church) was the state religion, people would be allowed to practice their religion freely. There were few exceptions such as extremist cults in the Middle Ages that were similar to radical Islamic groups today that weren't tolerated but most people can understand why allowing a group to preach the equivalent of "Death to America!" and "Kill the infidels wherever you find them" is a threat to a civilized society.

Wthout a state religion, if a non-religious ideology becomes popular such as "liberalism", they persecute those who don't agree with them for no good reason. For example, a Christian pastor in Canada was charged with a crime for quoting the bible because a man with same sex attraction was offended (a "sin" according to "liberal" ideology). A Christian couple in Colorado was fined $120,000 and had to shut down their bakery because they didn't approve of baking a cake for a same sex union ceremony (thankfully, conservatives on the Supreme Court overturned it but if enough "liberals" were on the court it probably would have been upheld).

Another full of s**t statement.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:30 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Fnord wrote:
And if you would ignore my posts, then why haven't you done so?[/color]
Mostly I do
Like you did just now?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Lunella
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:33 pm

On the topic of Christianity, I think a few of you would find this an interesting watch. They are like Amish Christians. Kinda interesting to see their way of life.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 2:42 pm

emotrtkey wrote:

So the Hussite Wars and the Thirty Years War (more than 8 million dead in the latter) never took place, then? After all, in both cases the war was about the state *enforcing* Catholicism upon its populace.

(and those two are just samples from The European Wars of Religion - several centuries of Christian bloodshed in Europe)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 3:19 pm

I'm sure that wasn't "real" Catholocism.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 3:45 pm

GGPViper wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

So the Hussite Wars and the Thirty Years War (more than 8 million dead in the latter) never took place, then? After all, in both cases the war was about the state *enforcing* Catholicism upon its populace.

(and those two are just samples from The European Wars of Religion - several centuries of Christian bloodshed in Europe)

Exactly why I made a point of Bloody Mary. Counter reformation wasn't in the middle ages.

Both the reformation and the counter reformation brought on bloodshed.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2020, 4:09 pm

GGPViper wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:
So the Hussite Wars and the Thirty Years War (more than 8 million dead in the latter) never took place, then? After all, in both cases the war was about the state *enforcing* Catholicism upon its populace. (and those two are just samples from The European Wars of Religion - several centuries of Christian bloodshed in Europe)
Prime examples of why religion and government should not mix -- there should be no 'National' or official state religion of any kind.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Sep 2020, 8:41 pm

GGPViper wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

I didn't see any evidence that the Catholic church ever killed anyone or started a war with anyone. Those wars were started by kings of the countries they ruled, not by the Catholic church. Your own link from the pagan encyclopedia you quoted says Protestant states started the war and the war mostly wasn't about religion. The Catholic church is in charge of nourishing people's souls and doesn't kill anyone or start wars with anyone.

The Hussites didn't just practice their religion. They went around deceiving people about Christianity, claiming the perverse and twisted doctrines they invented were the teaching of Christ and tried to corrupt society with their wicked doctrines. If they had been honest and said they were starting a new religion to compete with Christianity instead of slandering Christ and didn't try to destroy public order I don't think they would have had any problems. Slander may not seem like a big deal in cultures that don't value honesty but it's a big deal for those who love the truth and understand the harm it can cause. Given the Christian teaching that the wicked who live in disobedience of God's law go to Hell for eternity, it's extremely immoral to twist what God has revealed. It's worse than being a serial killer. Murderers only kill people's bodies but false preachers and other slanderers of God's word help send souls to Hell. If murderers are executed, then what should happen to those who commit crimes that are worse than murder?