Page 2 of 21 [ 333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Which Religion Should Be The National Religion?
Animism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Atheism 24%  24%  [ 8 ]
Buddhism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Christianity 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Confucianism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Druidism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gnosticism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Hinduism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Islam 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Jainism 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Judaism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Mormonism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Paganism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Scientology 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Shamanism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shintoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sikhism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Taoism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Zoroastrianism 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other: ________________ (Please elaborate). 39%  39%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 33

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:27 pm

shlaifu wrote:
seriously? I'm the only one thinking: Jainism? - because people will want a religion, so it makes sense to me to pick the most non-violent there is. I'd prefer a laicistic state, but there's some danger with there being no religious values, like humanist values (yes, that's a religious belief, not a natural law), namely the danger of the group with the most financial power shaping public opinions and laws in whatever way they want. .... sound familiar?

My Ice Cream Religion is non-violent, and it's delicious! :chef:

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:42 pm

shlaifu wrote:
seriously? I'm the only one thinking: Jainism? - because people will want a religion, so it makes sense to me to pick the most non-violent there is. I'd prefer a laicistic state, but there's some danger with there being no religious values, like humanist values (yes, that's a religious belief, not a natural law), namely the danger of the group with the most financial power shaping public opinions and laws in whatever way they want. .... sound familiar?

Well, if one *had* to choose a religion, then the Jains are indeed the most pacifist.

I disagree with Jainism's views about women being inferior to men, though, so I would probably choose Mahayana Buddhism instead, as it (often) combines pacifism with gender equality and tolerance.

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
My Ice Cream Religion is non-violent, and it's delicious!

Except when people start running out of ice cream (especially chocolate ice cream)... desperation will turn even the gentlest creature into a frenzied monster hell-bent on carnage, destruction, IRS audits, mayhem, devastation and apocalyptic doom.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 5:45 pm

GGPViper wrote:
shlaifu wrote:

Well, if one *had* to choose a religion, then the Jains are indeed the most pacifist.

I disagree with Jainism's views about women being inferior to men, though, so I would probably choose Mahayana Buddhism instead, as it (often) combines pacifism with gender equality and tolerance.

DeathEmperor413 wrote:
My Ice Cream Religion is non-violent, and it's delicious!

Except when people start running out of ice cream (especially chocolate ice cream)... desperation will turn even the gentlest creature into a frenzied monster hell-bent on carnage, destruction, IRS audits, mayhem, devastation and apocalyptic doom.

...and I guess we'll have to deal with the Heretics who choose to worship the false Sherbet God. ;)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2020, 7:53 pm

[opinion=mine]

(•) Other: None of the above, nor any other not listed.

The freedom to express one's own religious beliefs should not be abridged, as long the expression of one's own religious beliefs violate no secular law -- secular law should have precedence in the physical world, while religious law should have precedence over the "spiritual" world.  Just as laws shall not be made to require any religion to include one or more secular leaders as part of their pantheon, so too should no religion make any of its "laws" require the secular government to include their doctrines in their law-making and enforcement processes.

[/opinion]

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2020, 8:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
[opinion=mine]

(•) Other: None of the above, nor any other not listed.

The freedom to express one's own religious beliefs should not be abridged, as long the expression of one's own religious beliefs violate no secular law -- secular law should have precedence in the physical world, while religious law should have precedence over the "spiritual" world.  Just as laws shall not be made to require any religion to include one or more secular leaders as part of their pantheon, so too should no religion make any of its "laws" require the secular government to include their doctrines in their law-making and enforcement processes.

[/opinion]

That opinion is reasonable and makes sense if all religions were invented by men. However, people who believe God established a religion are going to want laws based on what God revealed instead of the opinions of men.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 8:27 pm

I voted for Confucianism. It seems to be working for the Chinese, so why not give it a try?

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2020, 11:38 pm

MaxE wrote:
I voted for Confucianism. It seems to be working for the Chinese, so why not give it a try?

Well, technically speaking, China formally dropped Confucianism as a national religion (more a philosophy, though, as Confucianism is mostly atheist) in 1905 when they abolished the Imperial Examination system (based on the Four Books - Sìshū).

One might argue that they are gradually becoming Confucian *again* after they began turning away from Communism in 1978, but that is an entirely different matter...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 12:36 am

I said other, as in NONE.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 12:39 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
So....Hedonism, then?

Mostly secular (I'm a Lutheran myself).

But good luck liberating Texas, which is half-Evangelical, half-Catholic.

I'm a Lutheran, too. I think belonging to a relatively easy going church body that's none too large makes one prefer a secular state.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 4:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
So....Hedonism, then?

I'm a Lutheran, too. I think belonging to a relatively easy going church body that's none too large makes one prefer a secular state.

What do modern lutherans believe,your quite liberal Kraichgauer.
Lutherans were the original radical christian fundamentalists.Luther made the set ups for Calvin's Total depravity theory.Although didn't support the other tenants of TULIP.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 5:13 am

the religion of no religion which is not atheism nor agnosticism.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 8:00 am

auntblabby wrote:
As in, "Religion?  What's that?".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Sep 2020, 3:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:

Atheism = belief God doesn't exist
Agnosticism = unsure whether God exists
Neither atheist nor agnostic would have to mean you believe God exists
No religion that isn't either of above = you believe God exists but you don't care what He revealed?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 4:36 pm

emotrtkey wrote:
No religion that isn't either of above = you believe God exists but you don't care what He revealed?
Faith and religion are not the same thing.  Religion is the expression of faith through ritual acts, and is a human invention, which is what makes religion so pointless.  Faith is a relationship with G^D (only) through Jesus (only), empowered by the Holy Spirit (only).

Science flies you to the Moon, Religion flies you into buildings, and Faith flies you to Heaven.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 7:52 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
So....Hedonism, then?

What do modern lutherans believe,your quite liberal Kraichgauer.
Lutherans were the original radical christian fundamentalists.Luther made the set ups for Calvin's Total depravity theory.Although didn't support the other tenants of TULIP.

I wouldn't say fundamentalist, as Luther and his theological descendants pretty well considered Revelations to be little more than toilet paper. Luther himself thought the book should never have been canonized. We Lutherans today feel most of that book covers the history of the early church, told in the Apocalyptic language of Persia, and not totally of things to come. For instance, the Beast of Revelations, in our opinion, was the Emperor Nero, who had persecuted the church.
Yes, we still believe human nature is terminally flawed. But despite that, we believe we're saved through God's grace, earned by Christ. Depraved as human nature is, we believe in divine love and redemption. I think that differs from Calvin's doctrine of double predestination, which even Calvin had referred to as "the terrible doctrine."
Yes, I am liberal, personally. In fact, I probably stand out like a sore thumb in my own Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, especially in more recent times when my church has unfortunately taken a lunge to the right. But I'm hardly the only Missouri Synod Lutheran with my point of view.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2020, 10:03 pm

"double predestination" - no wonder people like pat robertson believe pofolk are predestined to permanently be out of god's favor, and by extension, to be condemned. he has spoken of this more than one in his broadcasts, so it wasn't a slip of the tongue or anything like that.