Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 1:29 pm

I recall there was a user here who claimed that all scientific inventions/discoveries were solely made by "white Europeans" while other civilizations had negligible influence, I think this video would be a very objective reply to that.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 3:12 pm

According to some historians, the middle eastern Sumerians of Mesopotamia @4000BC are credited with "the cradle of civilization".

Mesopotamia: "inspired some of the most important developments in human history, including the invention of the wheel, the planting of the first cereal crops, and the development of cursive script, mathematics, astronomy, and agriculture".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_civilization
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesopotamia

Be the hero of your life.

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2020, 3:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I recall there was a user here who claimed that all scientific inventions/discoveries were solely made by "white Europeans" while other civilizations had negligible influence, I think this video would be a very objective reply to that.

Just bumping this post for the person who first replied to you, and thanks for sharing! I haven't read the reply from that user, but I've a pretty good idea what it's about, to be honest.... Vedic, Peruvian, Far [and Near] Eastern, and African medicine have also guided the Western European medical guilds quite a bit as well. Onesimus, a slave owned by Cotton Mather in Boston, Massachusetts introduced an ancient form of inoculation to white Americans during a smallpox epidemic and is credited with sparing many people from the ravages of that disease at the time. By the time Henry VIII had established the Western legal guidance of medical knowledge into Pharmacists, Surgeons, and General practitioners into the system which is still more or less in use here today; shamans, medicine men, and other natural medicine practitioners had been performing everything from simple effective treatments to complex and dangerous surgeries globally for thousands and thousands of years. Even the base ten number system which is used universally throughout the scientific world still bears the name of the Hindus and the Arabians. It's a big world out there, and society in the west will never make any progress until we realize that people are alike everywhere, and our history is a much more diverse and richer tapestry than most of us in the western world will ever know.

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 3:52 pm

China too,had a lot of inventions in early times.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:10 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

More specifically, China has the Four Great Inventions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Great_Inventions

- Compass
- Gunpowder
- Papermaking
- Printing press

... I'm not exactly sure the world has become a better place due to gunpowder, though....

DeepBlueSouth
Toucan
Toucan

13 Sep 2020, 4:11 pm

vermontsavant wrote:

Very true. Although early 20th century Germany is given credit for the development of amphetamines, their work was based on Chinese allergy medicines dating back to the middle of the 19th century if I'm not mistaken. They're absolutely brilliant chemists and scientists.

GGPViper wrote:
More specifically, China has the Four Great Inventions:

- Compass
- Gunpowder
- Papermaking
- Printing press

... I'm not exactly sure the world has become a better place due to gunpowder, though....

While I see your point, I am a big fan of firework displays. :wink:

“Politics is the art of controlling your environment.”
― Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:28 pm

GGPViper wrote:
... China has the Four Great Inventions:

- Compass
- Gunpowder
- Papermaking
- Printing press

You left out paper money and pasta.

I think they may have also invented the cheongsam (or qipao) -- I can't be positive, as too many want to claim it; but it is a wonderful invention no matter where it came from!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

China also invented bureaucracy...

... some might see that as an unforgivable crime against humanity, though...

Ecclectic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2020, 5:00 pm

GGPViper wrote:
China also invented bureaucracy...

... some might see that as an unforgivable crime against humanity, though...

But it is the epitome of civilisation, innit? :P