QFT
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:25 pm

Keung was black.
Thao was Hmong
Chauvin was white but he didn't mind marrying Hmong woman
Lane was White I guess, but thats just one out of four

So I guess it was a multiracial attack against a black person :)

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2020, 9:26 pm

Ugh tasteless drivel plz lock

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

emotrtkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Sep 2020, 10:11 pm

Useful information. It suggests race didn't play a role in that black guys death. I think the autopsy showed he was high on drugs and died of a drug overdose. All four officers should be released.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:04 am

People can still be racist to their own race, and if they have a relationship with someone of that race.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:23 am

Bradleigh wrote:
People can still be racist to their own race, and if they have a relationship with someone of that race.

Actually I just read an article that the reason Keung joined police force is in order to "fix the police from the inside" -- so he wanted to oppose police racism. It is quite ironic that he ended up being associated with the very thing that he wanted to oppose. Just think of it: he joined a police, in order to to oppose police racism, and on his third day he got imprisoned for participating in police racism :)

Here is an article: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/27/us/m ... kueng.html

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:36 am

emotrtkey wrote:
Useful information. It suggests race didn't play a role in that black guys death. I think the autopsy showed he was high on drugs and died of a drug overdose. All four officers should be released.

I'm sad that you & OP see fit to put people in these compartmentalized rationalizations as if you have the answers. If you really believe people being high calls for their being beaten to death & if you really believe in the officer's racial background being a factor in their culpability because this case is just following a theme, you could say so.

Instead you're another talking profile offering us profiling. I am not buying.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 12:39 am

QFT wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

Actually I just read an article that the reason Keung joined police force is in order to "fix the police from the inside" -- so he wanted to oppose police racism. It is quite ironic that he ended up being associated with the very thing that he wanted to oppose. Just think of it: he joined a police, in order to to oppose police racism, and on his third day he got imprisoned for participating in police racism :)

I guess opposition to racism is no impediment to one being a snot nosed facist.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 1:18 am

cberg wrote:
emotrtkey wrote:

I'm sad that you & OP see fit to put people in these compartmentalized rationalizations as if you have the answers. If you really believe people being high calls for their being beaten to death & if you really believe in the officer's racial background being a factor in their culpability because this case is just following a theme, you could say so.

Instead you're another talking profile offering us profiling. I am not buying.

There are two separate questions:

a) Did officers commit a crime?
b) Was that crime racially motivated?

Both questions are complicated. But the answer to "a" is more likely to be yes than the answer to "b".

So what I presented in OP are some facts that are counter-evidence to "b". This point needs to be clarified:

(i) They are only counter-evidence to b, not to a.

(ii) The fact that they are counter-evidence to "b" doesn't make "b" false. Its just something to take into account

(iii) Perhaps there are other things that are counter-evidence to "a", perhaps not. That would belong to a different thread.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 1:44 am

cberg wrote:
QFT wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:

I guess opposition to racism is no impediment to one being a snot nosed facist.

Thats one theory. But there are some others. So lets lay out all possibilities so we can discuss all of them:

Possibility 1: Maybe its what you suggest: Keung is both racist and opposed to racism

Possibility 2: Maybe Keung's opposition to racism was a long-term goal, while short-term he was just following orders in order to get passed those initial steps. Kind of like my long term goal is to overturn modern physics but short term I am following the orders of my professors in order to get those degrees. Actually I am a really bad example of it by the way. I did "not" follow orders of my professors that well, thats probably contributted to why I am 40 and don't have a professorship yet. So I guess Keung made a mistake opposite to the one I made. While I screwed myself up by favoring my own ideals over what I am told, Keung screwed himself up by favoring what he was told over his ideals.

Possibility 3: Don't forget that Floyd had a lot of criminal background. So maybe when Keung was thinking of police racism he was thinking of situations where the blacks in question don't have criminal background. And since Floyd did, he figured that his social justice principles just don't apply here. Or, by the similar token, maybe it wasn't Keung's criminal background as such but rather his behavior that, again, made Keung think that those actions were justified.

What is the moral of the story? Depending on what possibility takes place:

Possibility 1 ==> The moral of the story is that some people are hypocritical

Possibility 2 ==> The moral of the story is that its not the racism of individual cop but racism of the system

Possibility 3 ==> The moral of the story is that maybe sometimes it is not racism but really the "response" to provocative behavior

But in any case, regardless of which of those possibilities it was, just the very fact that Keung wanted to join the police in order to oppose racism and then was arrested for racism is quite ironic.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 5:25 am

This all started at a Minneapolis night club where Derek Chauvin met George Floyd,where Derek Chauvin was working as a security guard to earn extra money as cops often do.And the big strong ex-con George Floyd was a bouncer.They didn't like each other and there was bad blood,likely because Chauvin was a cop and Floyd an ex-con as you can imagine the two didn't mix well.

I don't think race was why Chauvin abused Floyd and caused his death at all,it all went back to the night club and something happened there between Floyd and Chauvin.Floyd being an ex-con who served time for putting a gun to a pregnant woman probably didn't care much for cops.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 7:16 am

QFT wrote:
Keung was black.
Thao was Hmong
Chauvin was white but he didn't mind marrying Hmong woman
Lane was White I guess, but thats just one out of four

So I guess it was a multiracial attack against a black person :)

Not to overstate the point but Chauvin is still white

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 7:19 am

vermontsavant wrote:
This all started at a Minneapolis night club where Derek Chauvin met George Floyd,where Derek Chauvin was working as a security guard to earn extra money as cops often do.And the big strong ex-con George Floyd was a bouncer.They didn't like each other and there was bad blood,likely because Chauvin was a cop and Floyd an ex-con as you can imagine the two didn't mix well.

I don't think race was why Chauvin abused Floyd and caused his death at all,it all went back to the night club and something happened there between Floyd and Chauvin.Floyd being an ex-con who served time for putting a gun to a pregnant woman probably didn't care much for cops.

All of this is true but the point I keep making is that public perception is what counts. Black people don't plot the data on a multiple regression model to determine all the contributing variables....they just go with their gut and call out police for all historical wrongs...

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 7:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

All of this is true but the point I keep making is that public perception is what counts. Black people don't plot the data on a multiple regression model to determine all the contributing variables....they just go with their gut and call out police for all historical wrongs...
I don't doubt that racism was the motive for 95% of passed police brutalities.

Mr Reynholm
Veteran
Veteran

14 Sep 2020, 8:01 am

It really didn't matter to BLM/Antifa what the racial makeup of the officers were, they were going to hijack the narrative anyway.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 1:52 am

Is it not still racist if a black man still saw other black men as racist?

A person even aware of problems of racism may still act out in a racist manner, and when that involves police work and deadly force, such as stopping another officer from committing a racism, then there is a problem.

People of any race can be racist, not just white, the people who say that the Left opinion is that only white people can be racist, are ridiculous.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2020, 2:07 am

Bradleigh wrote:
People of any race can be racist, not just white, the people who say that the Left opinion is that only white people can be racist, are ridiculous.

I wasn't saying only white people can be racist. I was saying that a *typical* racist is the one who is racist against *other* races. For example, Nation of Islam is an example of black racism -- and it is racism against whites. On the other hand Keung is racist against his own race, which is opposite to that. With "Nation of Islam" you see an arrogant racism (as in "my race is better than other races") but with Keung you see self hatred type of racism (as in "I am ashamed of my own race"). Among whites you can find it too -- like right wing whites are racist against blacks and left wing whites are racist against whites. But the attitudes motivating it are very different. So Nation of Islam would be black counterpart to right-extremist-white, while Keung is a black counterpart of left-extremist-white.