Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 10:31 pm

Please, no inflammatory namecalling. Quit the insinuation ie "if you are such a snowflake" as flaming of that kind corrupts an otherwise benign thread.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2020, 11:28 pm

MaxE wrote:
Regarding NFL football, this is one of the few situations we now have to reach a large diverse audience. It would be IRRESPONSIBLE to not use that opportunity to get the message out.

I actually hate sports just find them quite boring, but I am very happy to see the NFL players practicing their first amendment rights and since so many people are into football, it certainly does seem like a good way to get the message out.

The shut up and play ball mentality is just dumb, the sports players are people to not just robots meant to chase a ball. If we can take a minute to bring the flag into sports games and play the national anthem, we can take a minute to acknowledge the racism problems in this country as well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 3:34 am

MaxE wrote:

Given the usual definition of "woke", which I generally understand is a word used by right-wing bullies to ridicule and trivialize the efforts of those who try to improve society by providing education is such matters (education I personally wish I had received when I was younger) I would change the title to "The Anti-Woke Revolution Is Taking Hold".

Then I reclaim the word by calling myself woke and be proud of it and carry it with pride. I will take back the original meaning of the word before it got turned into a slur and an insult by right wingers.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 1:57 pm

When I hear the word “woke”, I think of things like how some people feel the need to be shielded from other views, how mere criticism of someone or some group could constitute bullying, how TV shows and movies have to walk on eggshells out of fear of offending people—those kinds of things.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2020, 2:39 pm

Woke is a catch all term to describe a way of looking at social and political issues. If you think America began and is defined by the Declaration of Independence you are probably not woke.

If you think America in began and is defined by when the first slaves arrived in 1619 you are probably woke.

If you believe white people are automatically racist and people of color can not be due to privilege you are probably woke.

etc. etc.

Woke world view is often incorrectly conflated with SJW’s. While there is a lot of overlap they are not exactly the same. SJW’s often have a woke world view but are also defined by easily being triggered by microagressions, that type of thing. If you have been rioting in Portland for over 100 days taking Pepper spray, flash bangs, being beaten by batons, brawling with police and Proud Boys you are a lot of bad things, but fragile you are not.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman