Page 6 of 19 [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 19  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Oct 2020, 9:51 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I really wish someone would explain to me how my wearing a mask protects others who are at risk (assuming the others involved are wearing masks). I am working on a graduate degree in the sciences, and no one has yet shown me any convincing scientific explanation as to how this works. If a person has a virus, and is not wearing a mask, how will the virus get through the mask of a person sitting next to them? I know there are N95 masks that are supposed to be the most protective. It just makes no logical sense. If I don't care about getting the virus, and don't wear a mask, how does that threaten others who are wearing masks? Is there some mechanism by which the virus cannot exit a mask but can enter one? That seems more like magic than science. I wish a biologist or a doctor could explain this. I have a friend who is a microbiologist and this makes no sense to him either.

So, does your microbiologist friend question the practice of mask wearing by surgeons and dentists, too?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 10:05 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I really wish someone would explain to me how my wearing a mask protects others who are at risk (assuming the others involved are wearing masks). I am working on a graduate degree in the sciences, and no one has yet shown me any convincing scientific explanation as to how this works. If a person has a virus, and is not wearing a mask, how will the virus get through the mask of a person sitting next to them? I know there are N95 masks that are supposed to be the most protective. It just makes no logical sense. If I don't care about getting the virus, and don't wear a mask, how does that threaten others who are wearing masks? Is there some mechanism by which the virus cannot exit a mask but can enter one? That seems more like magic than science. I wish a biologist or a doctor could explain this. I have a friend who is a microbiologist and this makes no sense to him either.

I guess you don't understand that contamination can be transmitted though the eyes and, if you contaminate someone else, their hands for example, they can transmit the virus by later touching their face. You don't need a direct path for contamination. Masks reduce the risk of you transmitting the virus to another person by containing aerosols.

COVID-19: How much protection do face masks offer? (Mayo Clinic)

I would not trust your microbiologist friend. They don't appear to be a competent authority.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 10:06 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:

This is the idea behind wearing cloth masks and others (not N95). Their utility is much more protect others from you than to protect you from others. Any bit of virus in a respiratory droplets smaller than the pores in the mask will get through through both masks, it's airborne. Wearing a mask will slow it down (instead of spewing air freely, it will help keep it localized around you in the short term. Of course working in a poorly circulated room all day or right next to someone else will basically do nothing.

Here is a scientific paper going into way better detail:
Visualizing the effectiveness of face masks in obstructing respiratory jets

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:12 am

magz wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

So, does your microbiologist friend question the practice of mask wearing by surgeons and dentists, too?

But said surgeons and dentists are working on people who have incisions and have there mouths open, and are therefore not wearing masks and are not protected. In that situation, it makes sense.

Cooter, The Dukes of Hazzard

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:15 am

Jiheisho wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

I guess you don't understand that contamination can be transmitted though the eyes and, if you contaminate someone else, their hands for example, they can transmit the virus by later touching their face. You don't need a direct path for contamination. Masks reduce the risk of you transmitting the virus to another person by containing aerosols.

I would not trust your microbiologist friend. They don't appear to be a competent authority.

Well, he has an advanced degree, and you presumably don't. Therefore I trust my friend. I will keep on not wearing a mask, as I have an exemption for medical reasons. Also don't care if I get the virus anyway. Probably already had it.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:16 am

Jiheisho wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

But aren't we supposed to wash our hands and not touch our face anyway???

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 11:17 am

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I really wish someone would explain to me how my wearing a mask protects others who are at risk (assuming the others involved are wearing masks). I am working on a graduate degree in the sciences...
Then you may have heard of Charles Darwin, am I right?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:30 am

Feyokien wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

This is the idea behind wearing cloth masks and others (not N95). Their utility is much more protect others from you than to protect you from others. Any bit of virus in a respiratory droplets smaller than the pores in the mask will get through through both masks, it's airborne. Wearing a mask will slow it down (instead of spewing air freely, it will help keep it localized around you in the short term. Of course working in a poorly circulated room all day or right next to someone else will basically do nothing.

Here is a scientific paper going into way better detail:
Visualizing the effectiveness of face masks in obstructing respiratory jets

Much less of the virus is coming out of someone's nose and mouth, and in a different manner, than someone urinating. Even if we just walked around with no clothes urinating when and wherever we felt like it, unless you are in very close proximity to a person, you are not likely to get urine on you (especially if the urinator is female). Amusing, but not scientifically valid. This analogy is highly flawed. The picture you posted of the person sneezing/coughing only shows it coming out, not going in to someone else's mask. Again, incomplete data.

I have no complaint with social distancing/staying 6 feet apart. Having to do this and wear a mask is just overkill. I have NEVER, at any point in my life, before or after corona, wanted most other humans within 6 feet of me. I like people to stay away anyway.

I did get a clear plastic face shield, and I wear it at work when others are around so they don't gripe at me. It's much more comfortable than a mask, and it seems to be more protection as it is made of plastic and covers the eyes (not that I care a bit about protection). I've recommended them to others on this site that dislike or have problems with masks.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Oct 2020, 11:32 am

Some people are saying things like "If you belive that wearing masks interfear with your breathing, you must not be getting enough oxygen to your bain'. I don't understand how wearing something tight enough to stop or slow a virus from getting through will not somewhat restrict oxygen as well. I wonder if those people have ever laid in bed with their pillow or sheet over their head for a bit. There is a reason that some products that contain plastic packaging have warnings about not letting kids stick their heads in it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:51 am

Fnord wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I really wish someone would explain to me how my wearing a mask protects others who are at risk (assuming the others involved are wearing masks). I am working on a graduate degree in the sciences...
Then you may have heard of Charles Darwin, am I right?

Of course. He came up with the concept of evolution by natural selection/"survival of the fittest". I believe that humans, as animals, are subject to these concepts. Natural processes such as disease often kill off the least well adapted animals, whilst the more well adapted ones survive. I do not believe it is natural or right to "save" all humans from death. If everyone lived forever and never died, and humans kept breeding at the rate they are now, we would soon exhaust the resources of this planet. Therefore, in order for the human species to continue to prosper without exhausting resources, either some of the weaker or older individuals have to expire, or we have to limit reproduction. Since no one wants to limit breeding, death is a necessity. People think that it is "cruel" to allow people to die of corona virus. Yes it is "sad" to many people that some die. But the human population of this planet keeps growing and growing. It only makes sense to me that nature sends diseases and other population-limiting factors, by necessity, to limit this uncontrolled growth. I know people will disagree with this, but this is my belief, and it will not be changed or discredited. A desire to save all humans comes from sentimental desires to be "compassionate" and "sympathetic", not from any form of scientific basis.
Think of this...If a group of animals in an area were overpopulated, and a disease came along that killed the weakest two percent of them, would we make an effort to save the life of every one? Probably not.
Unlike many people I do not see members of the species homo sapiens as any different that other animals. In fact, I feel more empathy and compassion for other animals than I do humans, as animals do not judge or criticize.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2020, 11:53 am

nick007 wrote:
Some people are saying things like "If you belive that wearing masks interfear with your breathing, you must not be getting enough oxygen to your bain'. I don't understand how wearing something tight enough to stop or slow a virus from getting through will not somewhat restrict oxygen as well. I wonder if those people have ever laid in bed with their pillow or sheet over their head for a bit. There is a reason that some products that contain plastic packaging have warnings about not letting kids stick their heads in it.

Agreed. To me, the masks feel like I'm being suffocated.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 11:54 am

TheRobotLives wrote:

KLAN BUSTERS!

:lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 12:05 pm

nick007 wrote:

"Coronavirus particles are 120 nanometers, oxygen particles are 0.120 nanometers. The pore size in N95 masks is generally 100 to 300 nanometers, meaning the average single pore will allow 1667 oxygen molecules in and 862 carbon dioxide molecules out. Other masks have even larger pore sizes, so a mask can’t restrict oxygen or carbon dioxide flow. It doesn’t mean that the wearer does not feel restricted. However, the math and physics are not consistent with that feeling.

The mask is quite effective at blocking the droplets you are exhaling, coughing or sneezing. The average size of those droplets is 1,000 to 10,000 nanometers, so by wearing the mask, you prevent the droplets from entering into the air for someone else to inhale."
- Jennifer Veltman, MD, chief of infectious diseases at Loma Linda University Health.
https://news.llu.edu/health-wellness/infectious-disease-physician-breaks-down-coronavirus-mask-myths#:~:text=Coronavirus%20particles%20are%20120%20nanometers,carbon%20dioxide%20is%200.232%20nanometers.

Additionally, to your comment on plastic: plastic is not porous.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 12:07 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Much less of the virus is coming out of someone's nose and mouth, and in a different manner, than someone urinating. Even if we just walked around with no clothes urinating when and wherever we felt like it, unless you are in very close proximity to a person, you are not likely to get urine on you (especially if the urinator is female). Amusing, but not scientifically valid. This analogy is highly flawed.

It was a joke to demonstrate the idea of the spread of respiratory droplets. It wasn't meant to be perfect.

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
The picture you posted of the person sneezing/coughing only shows it coming out, not going in to someone else's mask. Again, incomplete data.

Reread what I wrote and even further read the scientific paper. Please. I made it clear the primary utility of wearing a non N95 grade mask is to stop a person from spreading respiratory droplets containing viral particles through simple physics (by creating a barrier and slowing spread of air), not to stop someone breathing them in if they are in their vicinity. They don't do a lot to filter incoming air that contains respiratory droplets smaller than the weave of the mask. They protect others from you (by reducing spread of viral droplets), not you from others (because they poorly filter incoming air).

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
I did get a clear plastic face shield, and I wear it at work when others are around so they don't gripe at me. It's much more comfortable than a mask, and it seems to be more protection as it is made of plastic and covers the eyes (not that I care a bit about protection). I've recommended them to others on this site that dislike or have problems with masks.

Face shields are decent, but they're less effective at reducing the spread. They're still something though.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2020, 2:17 pm

AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

Well, he has an advanced degree, and you presumably don't. Therefore I trust my friend. I will keep on not wearing a mask, as I have an exemption for medical reasons. Also don't care if I get the virus anyway. Probably already had it.

Did you read the link? I will put the Mayo Clinic over your friend any day of the week. (Actually, I do have an advanced degree and I work in public heath, but I would rather stick to facts than appeal to an unknown "authority.")

Of course you will keep not wearing your mask. I expected nothing less. I guess I just don't get the appeal of trolling threads.

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Oct 2020, 7:34 am

Jiheisho wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
AspiePrincess611 wrote:

Did you read the link? I will put the Mayo Clinic over your friend any day of the week. (Actually, I do have an advanced degree and I work in public heath, but I would rather stick to facts than appeal to an unknown "authority.")

Of course you will keep not wearing your mask. I expected nothing less. I guess I just don't get the appeal of trolling threads.

I wasn't trolling, just posting an alternative viewpoint. Just because some, or even most "scientists" agree with something, it doesn't mean all do. And it doesn't mean those scientists who don't follow the mainstream are less educated or qualified, or lack facts to substantiate their beliefs. I don't like others forcing their beliefs on me. In my opinion, each individual is responsible for protecting themselves, and no one else.