Page 3 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 6:58 pm

jimmy m wrote:
The Ministry of Truth
Fake news is shared six times more than actual news, as radical sensationalism often leads to engagement.

As I said, evolution favours stupidity. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:03 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Censoring people who spread dangerous information is probably the best possible use of censorship.

In the cases you cite:

- Dr Wittkowski claimed that the pandemic would end after two-three weeks and so people should just ignore restrictions. This has proven laughably incorrect.

- The "medical device" had not received FDA approval. It was a device for shining UVA light inside people's lungs (UVA light does not inactivate coronaviruses: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/17002634/). This is not something that the public should be attempting to replicate. The very reason we have the FDA is to stop biotech companies pushing dangerous, unproven treatments.

If you're spreading dangerous misinformation, you're spreading dangerous misinformation, regardless of whether you're a contrarian researcher or a biotech company. Misinformation causes people to make bad decisions, and big tech companies have a responsibility to not let it propagate. That is a very long way from the Ministry of Truth.

Agreed, but there is the other side of the coin where censorship is abused.
Twitter and Facebook, as examples, despite them purportedly being platforms, not publishers. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:11 pm

jimmy m wrote:

Governments run by biased politicians tend to down-select slices of funding to confirmational research at the exclusions of all others approaches. They arbitrarily pick winners and losers. As a result, many times the winners of government grants are actually to defective approaches and the funding is totally wasted.

Everyone, who wasn't born yesterday, should know this is the way things work. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:18 pm

zacb wrote:
What is sad is the web had great potential. I will say the internet (ie the backbone) still has potential, but the overall http scene is sadly scrambled. I don't see how we went from the likes of Dennis Kucinich, Howard Dean, and Ron Paul to what we have today (I get the following populists are not always popular, more that they inspired a generation). From being skeptical of power (like Alex Jones) to being a lapdog for power. While part of it is letting more people online and being less Americanized (which can be both good and bad), it still seems so weird to go from a broad brush of liberalism to one of authoritarianism. Sorry started writing and went on a rant.

As for science, I am really worried that even objective fields like math and engineering will fully fall to stupidity soon.

The problem is that so many people don't even know what critical thinking skills are.
Groupthink is encouraged at the expense of objectivity.
Thinking independently is much more time/energy intensive than blindly following a narrative. 8)

Solutions: Educate the dummies, even if it is against their will. :mrgreen:
Do we have any "deprogrammers" here? :scratch:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 11:43 am

I think if given a choice between a world in which information is controlled by the CCP vs. one in which information is controlled by Rupert Murdoch and his apostles, I would have tough choice. At least the CCP would seem motivated by a desire for order, whereas Murdoch/News Corp aim for mind enslavement driven solely by the narcissism of its masters.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Dec 2020, 5:33 pm

Pepe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
The Ministry of Truth
Fake news is shared six times more than actual news, as radical sensationalism often leads to engagement.

Indeed. Of the six low-effort posts you just submitted, most of them contained boasted about your frequently claimed but rarely demonstrated intelligence. Two of them contained claims (by you) which had already been debunked earlier in the thread. If you’re actually capable of critical thinking then you should have no issue 1) identifying these mistakes and either 2a) correcting them or 2b) demonstrating that they aren’t mistakes at all. I very much doubt you will be able to do this, but I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:11 pm

Somebody just shat another passive aggressive turd, again. Still smells like s**t.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 6:14 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
Somebody just shat another passive aggressive turd, again. Still smells like s**t.

It's quite a bit muskier than s**t but that's just that poster's schtick at this point so The_Walrus is wasting his time by pointing it out.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 8:55 pm

MaxE wrote:
I think if given a choice between a world in which information is controlled by the CCP vs. one in which information is controlled by Rupert Murdoch and his apostles, I would have tough choice. At least the CCP would seem motivated by a desire for order, whereas Murdoch/News Corp aim for mind enslavement driven solely by the narcissism of its masters.

There are major differences.
Cee Cee Pee Concentration Camps.
Cee Cee Pee Genocide.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:13 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
The Ministry of Truth

Indeed. Of the six low-effort posts you just submitted, most of them contained boasted about your frequently claimed but rarely demonstrated intelligence. Two of them contained claims (by you) which had already been debunked earlier in the thread. If you’re actually capable of critical thinking then you should have no issue 1) identifying these mistakes and either 2a) correcting them or 2b) demonstrating that they aren’t mistakes at all. I very much doubt you will be able to do this, but I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

You should know my MO by now.
I like to throw ideas around.
I also like to joke.

I have told you on a number of occasions: I employ "Satire" when I talk about how intelligent I am.
When I say I am the smartest skunk in the universe, I don't *literally* mean it.
I enjoy the absurdity of my walking around like an intellectual peacock.

Quote:
noun
noun: satire

the use of humour, irony, exaggeration

I have proven you wrong in many head to head confrontations.
You usually disappear when that happens. :mrgreen:
You have a habit of jumping to conclusions, as you did years ago with the "Holocaust Denial" debate.

If you have a problem with my posts, why read them? :wink:
I often ignore yours.

Nope, my skunk light contributions are part of my style.
There are times when I will do the hard yakka but isn't that my choice? :scratch: 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:14 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

I guess I hit a nerve. :?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 9:41 pm

Rupert Murdoch's media empire in Australia comes under growing scrutiny

Quote:
Mr Rudd has described the Murdoch empire's impact in Australia as a "cancer on democracy", saying it has spread climate change denialism and promoted anti-China hysteria.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 3:11 am

MaxE wrote:
Rupert Murdoch's media empire in Australia comes under growing scrutiny
Quote:
Mr Rudd has described the Murdoch empire's impact in Australia as a "cancer on democracy", saying it has spread climate change denialism and promoted anti-China hysteria.

Does anyone believe the Wuhan virus didn't come from Wuhan? 8O
1.6 million and counting. 8)

Rudd has relevance deprivation syndrome.
A pity he doesn't have the class of Julia Gillard. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 Dec 2020, 5:37 am

! magz wrote:
Reminder:
Personal attacks are not allowed.
The boundary between attacking the content one writes and attacking the person writing it has to be understood and respected.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2020, 1:46 pm

Zhang Zhan, a 37-year-old citizen journalist who reported on crowded hospitals and the conditions in Wuhan earlier this year. The Reuters report said that Zhang posted videos on YouTube that showed interviews with residents and images of the Wuhan Institute of Virology. She was critical of the response, "The government’s way of managing this city has just been intimidation and threats," she said in one video, according to the Times. "This is truly the tragedy of this country."

Zhang was detained in May and accused of spreading false information, giving interviews to foreign media, disrupting social order and attacking the government.

She was just sentenced Monday to four years over the offense of "picking quarrels and provoking trouble," reports said. She is being held in Shanghai prison. Reuters, citing her lawyer, reported that there will likely be an appeal and said his client believes she is "being persecuted for exercising her freedom of speech." Before the sentencing hearing, Zhang said his client went “on long-term hunger strike” in detention and was being force-fed. He said Zhang suffered from dizziness and headaches, and was “physically fragile.” “When I met her days ago, her hands were tied to the waist and a nasogastric tube was inserted in her nose,” he said, adding that his client has not pleaded guilty. “She has a strong will," Zhang said.

The New York Times reported that the prison sentence will likely be seen as a "stark warning to those challenging the government’s official narrative of the pandemic."

Several other citizen journalists who reported out of Wuhan during the early pandemic also appear to have been targeted. Fang Bin, who shared videos from Wuhan's hospitals on YouTube, has been missing since February. Chen Qiushi, who disappeared in February after making a series of social media posts about the outbreak in the city, is under close surveillance and has not spoken publicly, South China Morning Post reported. Another citizen journalist who reported from Wuhan, Li Zehua, re-emerged in a YouTube video in April after going missing for almost two months to say he was forcibly quarantined.

Sources:
* Citizen journalist in China who reported on COVID-19 sentenced to 4 years
* Chinese citizen journalist Zhang Zhan jailed for 'provoking trouble' with Wuhan reporting

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Dec 2020, 5:40 am

Pepe wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Pepe wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
The Ministry of Truth

You should know my MO by now.
I like to throw ideas around.
I also like to joke.

I have told you on a number of occasions: I employ "Satire" when I talk about how intelligent I am.
When I say I am the smartest skunk in the universe, I don't *literally* mean it.
I enjoy the absurdity of my walking around like an intellectual peacock.

Quote:
noun
noun: satire

the use of humour, irony, exaggeration

I have proven you wrong in many head to head confrontations.
You usually disappear when that happens. :mrgreen:
You have a habit of jumping to conclusions, as you did years ago with the "Holocaust Denial" debate.

If you have a problem with my posts, why read them? :wink:
I often ignore yours.

Nope, my skunk light contributions are part of my style.
There are times when I will do the hard yakka but isn't that my choice? :scratch: 8)

Put simply, you can’t excuse posts to the effect of “everyone except me is stupid” because they are “satirical”. For starters, they aren’t satire. Satire is used to expose other people’s failings (you know this because you have truncated the definition). Self-satire is a thing, but your posts would only demonstrate it if some of them were true - you can’t satirise your own ego unless you actually have an ego and demonstrate it. In other words, your “satire” is only satire if it is sometimes genuine. Perhaps your comments could be described as “ironic”, but if you have to point out that you’re being ironic in order for anyone to understand it then you might want to reconsider your use of advanced linguistic techniques that many people struggle to effectively utilise.

Moreover, “irony” in all its forms is not an excuse for nastiness. You cannot, as you put it, peacock around saying words to the effect of “nobody else thinks critically” and then deflect all responsibility for the impact of your words by claiming irony. If that tactic actually worked then we’d never be able to moderate at all, because all the bullies would adopt your tactic of saying that their insults were “satire”.

You could use satire in response to someone else unironically behaving the way that you “ironically” behave. But the only person who behaves that way around here is you. Your comments therefore aren’t satire, they’re just acontextual boasting.

I cannot ignore your posts because I am a moderator. When I see someone spamming a thread with insinuations about other users then I have to act.

I searched my post for “Holocaust” to try and find what you were referring to. I’m struggling to tell what conclusions you think I have jumped to here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=359183 - indeed, I think it’s obvious that I do the exact opposite.