Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 5:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:
Now that the Trumpster is in the dumpster America can start to recover.

That won't start until Jan 21st.

No but it's something to look forward to...and his getting charged with tax avoidance if you believe some of the reports.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 5:25 am

maycontainthunder wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
maycontainthunder wrote:
Now that the Trumpster is in the dumpster America can start to recover.

That won't start until Jan 21st.

No but it's something to look forward to...and his getting charged with tax avoidance if you believe some of the reports.

He hires an accountancy firm to do his taxes, so they're liable, not him.

Be the hero of your life.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 9:14 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
I hope such celebrations don't result in spreading the coronavirus.

Yeah, that was my first thought too when I saw how densely packed some of the crowds were on the streets of Manhattan, here in NYC. Most of the people were wearing masks, but still....

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 9:21 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Trigger warning negativity, cynicism and anger to follow;
INHO all of this celebration is premature. If one is to celebrate(more on that later) the correct day to celebrate is January 20, 2021 when hopefully the extremist elements of the MAGA’s including Trump let us move on and ATTEMPT to repair the damage they have done. Not only was yesterdays celebrations premature but as I mentioned in other threads now is the time to be most worried because we are entering the most dangerous time of the Trump era. He has nothing to lose now and as Fnord keeps pointing out being a “loser” is the thing he hates the most meaning the commander in chief the guy whose finger are near the nuclear button could well have a full on meltdown and this person has a lot of people who will do whatever illiberal thing he asks them to do.

Yep. I'm worried about this too.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Rant:
So many people are pissed at me because I have have been the ultimate Debbie downer pissing all over their celebrations. I say you optimists have been wrong about predicting that this will be the end of him, that will be the end of him over and over since he came down the escalator so your optimism holds no continence with me.

Hopefully I am wrong and on January 20 and he will be outta of here and on his way eventually to prison. Even then what is there to celebrate? Yes we would have corrected the mistake of 2016 but we made that horrific mistake in 2016. And we came damn close to making it again. Despite all that has happened since 2016 all that has changed since 2016 was a small percentage of votes in a few swing states.

Yep. The extreme right wing will continue to grow in this country, I fear. As a result, in 2024, we could easily end up with a President just as bad as Trump, or even worse.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2020, 12:14 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
INHO all of this celebration is premature. If one is to celebrate(more on that later) the correct day to celebrate is January 20, 2021 when hopefully the extremist elements of the MAGA’s including Trump let us move on and ATTEMPT to repair the damage they have done. Not only was yesterdays celebrations premature but as I mentioned in other threads now is the time to be most worried because we are entering the most dangerous time of the Trump era. He has nothing to lose now and as Fnord keeps pointing out being a “loser” is the thing he hates the most meaning the commander in chief the guy whose finger are near the nuclear button could well have a full on meltdown and this person has a lot of people who will do whatever illiberal thing he asks them to do.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Rant:
So many people are pissed at me because I have have been the ultimate Debbie downer pissing all over their celebrations. I say you optimists have been wrong about predicting that this will be the end of him, that will be the end of him over and over since he came down the escalator so your optimism holds no continence with me.

Hopefully I am wrong and on January 20 and he will be outta of here and on his way eventually to prison. Even then what is there to celebrate? Yes we would have corrected the mistake of 2016 but we made that horrific mistake in 2016. And we came damn close to making it again. Despite all that has happened since 2016 all that has changed since 2016 was a small percentage of votes in a few swing states.

Yep. The extreme right wing will continue to grow in this country, I fear. As a result, in 2024, we could easily end up with a President just as bad as Trump, or even worse.

Biden won so that gives me hope for our country. I just hope more people will keep voting in the future.

There is only one good thing about Trump, making everyone realize how important politics are and peoples opinions and how opinions affect other people and influence what choices they make and how they treat others. Thank you Trump.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 1:21 am

League_Girl wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Rant:

Biden won so that gives me hope for our country. I just hope more people will keep voting in the future.

There is only one good thing about Trump, making everyone realize how important politics are and peoples opinions and how opinions affect other people and influence what choices they make and how they treat others. Thank you Trump.
He also revealed just how riddled with loopholes the US government system is. A shocking amount of things rely on an "honor system". It's staggering just how many design flaws there are in the way things work at the top in the supposed "pillar of Western society". It somehow took a complete idiot to expose that.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to actually take the time to examine the powers and responsibilities of not only the President, but the rest of those involved in the running of the country, because there should be way more checks and balances in place.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 9:10 am

Tross wrote:
He also revealed just how riddled with loopholes the US government system is. A shocking amount of things rely on an "honor system". It's staggering just how many design flaws there are in the way things work at the top in the supposed "pillar of Western society". It somehow took a complete idiot to expose that.

Hopefully this is a wake up call to actually take the time to examine the powers and responsibilities of not only the President, but the rest of those involved in the running of the country, because there should be way more checks and balances in place.
Yes. Yes. So much "Yes"!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 9:35 am

I will celebrate when D.trump no longer legally occupies the White House.  I will really celebrate if they drag him, kicking and screaming, from the White House to an ambulance waiting to whisk him off the the nearest Psych Ward for sedation, evaluation, and a long-term stay.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:13 am

Mona Pereth wrote:

I think it's more complicated than that. The extreme right wing, as contrasted with the Republican Party in general, is overwhelming composed from certain demographics e.g. white, older, proudly if not devoutly Christian, and rural. This is still an oversimplification, for example I believe age is much less of a factor in rural areas.

Is it possible for this demographic to shift over 4 or 8 years? Will every old white person that dies during that time period be replaced by a new member of that demographic turning 18? Or will each year see more and more brown-skinned, urban, secular citizens reach their eighteenth birthday? Age cohort also makes a difference. Members of the late Baby Boom and early Generation X have always been more right-wing than those born before or after (which aggravates me because people tend to generalize about "boomers" and "Gen-Xers" when I believe the more relevant lines of demarcation to be elsewhere). At present, this cohort is the most powerful in government and industry. But gradually, they will be replaced by late Gen-X "or grunge generation" and millennials whose politics (on average) will always be farther to the left.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:47 am

MaxE wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:

I think it's more complicated than that. The extreme right wing, as contrasted with the Republican Party in general, is overwhelming composed from certain demographics e.g. white, older, proudly if not devoutly Christian, and rural. This is still an oversimplification, for example I believe age is much less of a factor in rural areas.

Is it possible for this demographic to shift over 4 or 8 years? Will every old white person that dies during that time period be replaced by a new member of that demographic turning 18? Or will each year see more and more brown-skinned, urban, secular citizens reach their eighteenth birthday? Age cohort also makes a difference. Members of the late Baby Boom and early Generation X have always been more right-wing than those born before or after (which aggravates me because people tend to generalize about "boomers" and "Gen-Xers" when I believe the more relevant lines of demarcation to be elsewhere). At present, this cohort is the most powerful in government and industry. But gradually, they will be replaced by late Gen-X "or grunge generation" and millennials whose politics (on average) will always be farther to the left.

One thing that separates the alt right from the traditional right is their understanding and use of social media which is more the domain of the zoomers. Social media makes extremism easier to spread and harder to contain.

As always economic and social difficulties and disorientation give rise to extremism and we have had a lot of those this century.

The fear is that a more polished right wing authoritarian will be elected.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:52 am

It would be cool if there was less extremism on both sides.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 10:59 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
One thing that separates the alt right from the traditional right is their understanding and use of social media which is more the domain of the zoomers. Social media makes extremism easier to spread and harder to contain.

As always economic and social difficulties and disorientation give rise to extremism and we have had a lot of those this century.

Adeptness at communicating via Social Media is becoming more widespread. No political or generational group really "owns" it.

Extremism of any sort is motivated by anger. We all know what the extreme right is angry about. I can't predict the effect on forthcoming elections, but people on the left are also angry but perhaps the difference is that this anger only really gained traction since Trump's election whereas the right has been cultivating its anger since 1992. Again I don't know how this might affect the next election, but it seems realistic to me for the extreme left to become bigger and more influential in the next couple of years, and if the extreme right can be influential then so can the extreme left. And the environment may be turning more conducive to that happening. If a white person in WV can't find work because environmentalists shut down the local coal mine, then the target of his anger is obvious. But what about a 3rd generation Dominican in the Bronx? No way is he going to blame his troubles on Obama.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 11:54 am

MaxE wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Adeptness at communicating via Social Media is becoming more widespread. No political or generational group really "owns" it.

Extremism of any sort is motivated by anger. We all know what the extreme right is angry about. I can't predict the effect on forthcoming elections, but people on the left are also angry but perhaps the difference is that this anger only really gained traction since Trump's election whereas the right has been cultivating its anger since 1992. Again I don't know how this might affect the next election, but it seems realistic to me for the extreme left to become bigger and more influential in the next couple of years, and if the extreme right can be influential then so can the extreme left. And the environment may be turning more conducive to that happening. If a white person in WV can't find work because environmentalists shut down the local coal mine, then the target of his anger is obvious. But what about a 3rd generation Dominican in the Bronx? No way is he going to blame his troubles on Obama.

Since the 60s there has often been a duel amount of influence. The left gains cultural influence the right and the center holds or gains politically. By the early 70s sex, drugs, and rock and roll, long hair and casual clothing were mainstream while Nixon was reelected in a landslide. In the Reagan era “gender bending” pop stars were on top of the charts and on your MTV.
In the last few years as Trump was elected and almost reelected we are undergoing a gender identity revolution, what was considered funny entertainment few years back is now considered racist deserving to be canceled. In 2012 after Obama was reelected the Republicans had an internal reckoning in which they feared becoming a permanent minority if not irrelevant cause the younger voters were more diverse. It was recommended the party have a makeover and become more diverse. The party had a makeover all right just not at all as intended and more then survived. Was this a temporary backlash, a bump in the inevitable progressive era as Watergate was a bump in the conservative era or is the last few years an indication that the permanent generational change to progressive theory is flawed? We shall see.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 12:19 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
Trump did exceptional.

Sure, he lost a close race ... however ...

-Republicans look to capture 8-15 Democrat House seats

-Republicans likely to keep the Senate

-More people voted Republican than in any prior president election

-Socialist is a dirty word again.
a. Some Democrats say being labeled as a Socialist lost them or nearly lost their seats.

b. AOC says she may quit because "progressives" are being blamed
https://www.businessinsider.com/aoc-say ... es-2020-11

-Democrats continue to lose support from black men
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/bla ... w-n1246447

-Trump gained Hispanic vote in Texas, Florida

What that says to me is, support for Republican House and Senate contenders was strong this time around but that didn't automatically translate into votes for Trump. In other words the party faithful have supported the GOP but not its current front man.

I'm not sure how socialism being a dirty word again is a good thing if that's affecting the Democrats. They're a moderately right wing party with a few centrist, social democrat style policies (not socialist, totally different thing). The allegation that the Democrats are socialist is completely false and as such you're flag-waving for a triumph of misrepresentation and stupidity over fact. What's so clever about that?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 12:46 pm

Tempus Fugit wrote:
It would be cool if there was less extremism on both sides.
Yes. Yes. So much "Yes"!
Fnord wrote:
I will celebrate when D.trump no longer legally occupies the White House.
More yess...uh, yeses...uh...what is the plural of "yes"?
Fnord wrote:
I will really celebrate if they drag him, kicking and screaming, from the White House to an ambulance waiting to whisk him off the the nearest Psych Ward for sedation, evaluation, and a long-term stay.[/color]
Not my first choice. I would rather his many accusers get their many days in court and I expect Trump would lose in many of those courtrooms...and then, legally, through the rule of law and order, lose his money and freedom. And if he ends up in prison making license plates, they should have him sign each and every one--I think a lot of people (including me) would pay extra for one of them!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2020, 6:55 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
... In 2012 after Obama was reelected the Republicans had an internal reckoning in which they feared becoming a permanent minority if not irrelevant cause the younger voters were more diverse. It was recommended the party have a makeover and become more diverse. The party had a makeover all right just not at all as intended and more then survived. Was this a temporary backlash, a bump in the inevitable progressive era as Watergate was a bump in the conservative era or is the last few years an indication that the permanent generational change to progressive theory is flawed? We shall see.

This has had me wondering for a while. It seemed obvious that formation of the AstroTurf Tea Party was intended to rally the "mainstream" against Obama and/or what he represented. However, when you look at what I would consider typical Tea Party politicians (primarily Late Boomer/Early Gen-X) none of them bear much resemblance to Trump. Tea Party types were usually highly principled straight-arrows like Scott Walker, the former Governor of Wisconsin. It appeared as though the Tea Party took an unexpected turn by being hijacked by Donald Trump. However, Mike Pence is unarguably the quintessential Teabagger, so it wouldn't have surprised me to see Trump resign soon after being inaugurated and handing the Presidency over to Trump. Whatever the real thinking was in the RNC's smoke-filled rooms, it seems they warmed up to Trump amazingly fast once things settled down. I have no idea what relevance what I just said has to the electoral prospects of either party going forward. If by some miracle things go very well for America over the next 4 years, it's just possible the Democrats could win the 2024 election as well as this year's.