Trump's various attempts to challenge election results

Page 1 of 26 [ 409 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 26  Next

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 3:06 pm

In this thread I'll post news stories I come across having to do with Trump's various attempts to challenge the election results including vote recounts, certifications, etc. For example:

Wisconsin officials: Trump observers obstructing recount, AP, November 21, 2020:

Quote:
MILWAUKEE (AP) — Election officials in Wisconsin’s largest county accused observers for President Donald Trump on Saturday of seeking to obstruct a recount of the presidential results, in some instances by objecting to every ballot tabulators pulled to count.

Many of the objections are apparently frivolous. For example:

Quote:
His team is seeking to disqualify ballots where election clerks filled in missing address information on the certification envelope where the ballot is inserted, even though the practice has long been accepted in Wisconsin.

See also the separate thread Trump asks state legislatures to overturn election results.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

Can we call this a coup attempt yet? :?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 3:24 pm

Trump election challenges sound alarm among voters of color by Aaron Morrison, Kat Stafford, and Christine Fernando, AP, November 22, 2020:

Quote:
Two Republican canvassers tried to block the routine certification, which provoked an outcry from people attending the meeting and civil rights leaders who questioned whether race was a factor. The two GOP board members eventually reversed their votes and certified the results. They later tried to revert to their original position and were rebuffed by state officials who said the certification could not be rescinded.

Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel blasted the Trump campaign and other groups for filing election-related lawsuits that were frivolous and lacked evidence.

“The themes we see that persist here are this: ‘Black people are corrupt. Black people are incompetent, and Black people can’t be trusted,’” she said on a call with the nonpartisan Voter Protection Program.

Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, said the Republican canvassers’ conduct was part of the ongoing effort “to disenfranchise voters on a scale that is simply unprecedented in modern times.”

Beyond Michigan, the Trump campaign sought a partial recount in Wisconsin — in Milwaukee and Dane counties, which include the majority of the state’s Black population. On Thursday, Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani renewed unproven claims of voter fraud and impropriety during mail-in vote counting in Pennsylvania, naming Philadelphia and nearby Camden, New Jersey, which is also predominantly Black.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 5:34 pm

As of about 17:00 EST on 2020-11-23, The State of Michigan certified Joseph Biden's win despite Trump's GOP overtures.  The Board of State Canvassers, which has two Republicans and two Democrats, confirmed the results on a 3-0 vote with one abstention.  The certification all but erases President Donald Trump's pathway to try to overturn the election results through legal challenges that have been dismissed in key states.

Go Blue!

:D

Source 1.

Source 2.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 8:49 pm

Trump's election 'legal challenges' won't change 2020 results. Can he win by losing? by Steve Vladeck and Lisa Rubin, NBC News, Nov. 13, 2020: Contains details of various lawsuits. "The weaknesses across these cases illustrate how the Trump campaign isn’t using the legal process; it’s abusing it." About the authors: Steve Vladeck is professor at the University of Texas School of Law, and Lisa Rubin is an off-air legal analyst with "The Rachel Maddow Show."

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2020, 9:21 pm

Pennsylvania Republicans sue in last-ditch effort to stop election certification by John Kruzel, The Hill 11/23/2020.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 12:58 am

The General Services Administration has finally taken the first step in beginning the formal transition process:

Key government agency acknowledges Biden's win and begins formal transition by Kristen Holmes and Jeremy Herb, CNN, Mon November 23, 2020.

Trump's comment, via Twitter: "I want to thank Emily Murphy at GSA for her steadfast dedication and loyalty to our Country. She has been harassed, threatened, and abused -- and I do not want to see this happen to her, her family, or employees of GSA. Our case STRONGLY continues, we will keep up the good fight, and I believe we will prevail! ... Nevertheless, in the best interest of our Country, I am recommending that Emily and her team do what needs to be done with regard to initial protocols, and have told my team to do the same."

So Trump still has not conceded and will continue to dispute the election results, although he is nevertheless allowing the transition to begin -- probably because he is under quite a bit of pressure to do so. See, for example:

- New York City business leaders: Trump should allow transition to Biden administration by Mike Snider, USA Today, November 23, 2020
- Democrats accuse GSA of undermining national security by not certifying Biden win by Maggie Miller, The Hill, 11/23/2020

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:11 am

The following video, by a lawyer, discusses the merits of Trump's various lawsuits, as of 2 weeks ago: Will the President’s Lawsuits Overturn the Election?, Legal Eagle, Nov 10, 2020

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2020, 5:24 am

Blackstone CEO Stephen Schwarzman says Trump lost by Hans Nichols and Jonathan Swan, Axios, November 23, 2020:

Quote:
It's over. That's what Blackstone chairman, CEO and co-founder Steve Schwarzman — one of President Trump's most loyal allies — and other top Republicans are signaling to the defeated president, 16 days after Joe Biden clinched the win.

Trump's top aides have undisguised contempt for some establishment business groups. But not Schwarzman. He has been a close confidant of Trump's throughout his presidency.

The same article also has several paragraphs about Sidney Powell's conspiracy claims.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 10:25 am

Presidential race official recount gets underway in Georgia, AP, November 24, 2020.

Quote:

The recount was requested by President Donald Trump after certified results showed him losing the state to Democrat Joe Biden by 12,670 votes, or 0.25%. Under state law, the losing candidate can request a recount when the margin is less than 0.5%. Trump’s campaign on Saturday formally requested the recount.

Last Thursday, election officials announced the results of a hand tally in the presidential race that stemmed from an audit but was not considered an official recount under state law. The day after Republican Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger announced that the tally confirmed Biden’s lead, he certified the election results. Republican Gov. Brian Kemp then certified the state’s slate of 16 presidential electors, a group of prominent Democrats.

EDIT: More about the Georgia recount here, from an Atlanta TV station.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 25 Nov 2020, 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 10:39 am

Newsweek seems to prognosticate Mr. Trump's next move...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2020, 11:08 am

Trump appeals rejection of effort to block Pennsylvania vote, AP, November 22, 2020:

Quote:

President Donald Trump is appealing a federal judge’s dismissal of his campaign’s effort to block the certification of votes in Pennsylvania.

The president and other plaintiffs filed notice of appeal to the 3rd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Sunday, a day after the judge issued a scathing order shooting down claims of widespread irregularities with mail-in ballots.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 4:22 pm

USA Today debunking various claims about voting machines:

- Fact check: False claim that electronic voting software companies Dominion and Smartmatic have closed by Camille Caldera, Nov. 24, 2020
- Fact check: Claims linking Dominion Voting Systems to Democrats are wrong or misleading by Doug Stanglin, Nov. 20, 2020
- Fact check: Dominion voting machines didn't delete votes from Trump, switch them to Biden by Camille Caldera, Nov. 14, 2020

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 4:45 pm

:lol: The last thread we had on this subject was a matter of foreigners insisting we went wrong with Biden after over a quarter million died on Trump's watch. They really like to point the finger at some electronics & bank on their audience not understanding those industries.

Perhaps a corollary to the left version of Godwin's law is that mystery computers are the GOP bogeyman. Hillary's email server got so relentlessly trashed no one even remembers which emails they were talking about, a lawyer in his 70s with zero experience was appointed to run "cybersecurity" for the Trump organization; at which point much classified data was compromised & let's not forget the leveraging of WikiLeaks thru extremely suspicious court proceedings & scarcely believable rumours in order to pin the war crimes on the donkeys.

The fact of the matter is that America is a pretty amazing joke in terms of digital security. Trump's appointed head of the federal communications commission brainlessly signed off on allowing interference from 5G cellular networks to share GPS frequencies. Factually, we have a weaker military now in terms of raw technological capability. Need I remind you that the global positioning system was all theirs for some time?

Even regardless of the election's legitimacy, fewer deaths are bound to occur under world health organization membership. The fact of the matter is that computers are just tools that people are perfectly capable of using responsibly. I understand this to be news to those who use computers for zero-sum debates & reading propaganda.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 9:54 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Can we call this a coup attempt yet? :?

It would depend on your definition of coup (below definitions from https://www.thefreedictionary.com/coup:
Quote:
A sudden appropriation of leadership or power; a takeover:

Given the position is held until January 20, no appropriation of leadership/power has occurred. However, declarations of a "President Elect" prior to the constitutionally required process having occured for granting the title could conceivably fit this definition.
Or, there is:
Quote:
The sudden overthrow of a government, often with violence

When you consider the amount of viloence from Antifa\BLM directed at the current President and his supporters, and the haste with which they determined that "their" candidate is now "President Elect", without waiting for the constitutional process to proceed (and in some cases seeking to hamper portion of this), this would conceivably also fit the definition...

So yes, it could be argued there is a coup attempt underway, although possibly not from the direction you expected.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2020, 10:28 pm

There are people whose job it is to stall our constitutional process. They're called lawyers & there aren't usually countless lawyers involved in landslide electoral victories.

Asserting someone's life matters is not a statement of disrespect for the law.

Let us know when BLM overthrows our government. :|

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: