Portland is Clearing Out the Homeless Camps

Page 4 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 8:40 am

What's actually happening.

Not a single left-wing terrorist in sight.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 9:12 am

MaxE wrote:

Police said between September and November "at least 81 calls for service were placed for issues related to this property," according to data captured by the Portland Police Bureau (PPB). "Calls for service included, but were not limited to, fights, disturbances, shots fired, burglary, thefts, vandalism, noise violations, trespassing, threats, including by armed individuals, and for illegally blocking traffic, sidewalks and access to homes," authorities said.

So what about all the neighbors whose lives are being turned upside down by brigands that are occupying this house.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 9:36 am

jimmy m wrote:
So what about all the neighbors whose lives are being turned upside down by brigands that are occupying this house?
"It is the greatest good to the greatest number of people which is the measure of right and wrong." -- Jeremy Bentham (1748-1832)

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few ... or the one." -- Leonard Nimoy (1931-2015), as Mr. Spock

"Majority rules." -- attributed to many

It seems that the police should put forth every effort to clear out those "brigands" you mentioned.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 11:20 am

There should be communes that they could live in.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 11:28 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
What do you think those "Homeless Camps" are?

If you want to see what a self-supporting commune looks like, visit a "Homeless Camp".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 1:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
What do you think those "Homeless Camps" are?

If you want to see what a self-supporting commune looks like, visit a "Homeless Camp".

This is getting confusing. There are people residing in the house then there are protestors who were occupying the immediate area which is a common way to protest. They are protesting the eviction of the residents of the house. I wouldn't assume that the protestors are homeless or even that the residents of that house have no where else they can go. As for the police, it's their business how they deal with any alleged lawbreaking. Are they refusing to carry out the mayor's wishes? Still not convinced about the huge arsenal.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 1:10 pm

MaxE wrote:

Funny how The Guardian is telling the story in a different light while The Oregonian told the other side.

The story makes it sound like the police randomly showed up at someone's house and knocking down the door and charged the owner for trespassing. No, the bank just took it back because they owed money to them they took out in loans to defend their son who got in trouble with the law and they weren't paying it back.

Seriously, parents need to stop looking at their kids with rose colored glasses. If your kid does a crime, let them pay for it and do their time.

https://www.opb.org/article/2020/12/10/ ... e-protest/

This article also tells their kid committed a crime and their family took money out in loans to fight for him.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 1:11 pm

If the parents had kept off their rose colored glasses, they would have let their son do his time and they still would have had their house. Sure a developer can come up to your door and offer to buy your home so they can build on your property but you have the right to say no.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 1:56 pm

People on Twitter are throwing a fit over this article that points out the truth about why the family actually lost their house.

https://twitter.com/LGunderson/status/1 ... 0132768769

Sadly you need to be subscribed to read the actual article which is why I managed to find the facts for free simply by googling "The red house in Portland."

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 2:52 pm

I feel like the homeless situation will only get worse.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 4:16 pm

The Kinney family owns a second home in the same city.  The second home -- located in Northeast Portland less than 2 miles from the house where protesters are camping -- has been owned by the family since 1966, so they are not exactly "homeless".

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2020, 5:36 pm

Well, they don't own their house and they are just squatting in their former home. A developer company bought it when the house went into foreclosure so that meant the bank took it and the company bought it. Now they are willing to sell it back to them but the family doesn't want to do that.

If I understand correctly, they have another home and they can all live in that house and that home has not been taken.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 12:45 pm

The Portland family at the center of the “Red House” controversy reportedly has a second home located only 2 miles away, according to property records. The house, located on Mississippi Avenue and owned by the Kinney family since the 1950s, has been the focus of protests after the family was evicted following a protracted legal battle over foreclosure. The Kinney family has continued legal challenges to their eviction, and they have stayed at a second home during the protests that's located less than 2 miles from the “Red House,” OPB reported. When OPB reporters visited the home, the Kinneys’ son Michael answered the door, confirming that the family owned it, but then told the outlet they needed to schedule an interview for any further questions.

Source: Portland family evicted from 'Red House' at center of protests reportedly staying at second home

So the family is not even living in the Red House, just the brigands [hmmm, I mean protestors].

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2020, 1:33 pm

I am from a little island in between France and England called Jersey.
The island is very small (7 miles by 9 miles) but has a population of over 120,000.

Homeless is a minor problem here (up to 2000), due to there being a lack of affordable housing.
The island is an offshore tax haven, which offers the rich and famous a tax infrastructure where they
can save considerable amounts of money by stashing their money in one of the islands many merchant banks.

I would say that some of the homeless are homeless out of choice, as there are a number of hostels for those who are homeless, but which require the homeless to be relatively sober and civil in order to inhabit, as well as be able to pay the low rent.

Some of the homeless choose not to live in a hostel, as they prefer to drink or take drugs, living in various places instead (such as car parks, parks etc).

I believe others also end up homeless, due to their inability to keep their accounts, again, this is often due to
drug or alcohol problems, as the local government does give benefits to those who are homeless, however, the government allows the individual decide as to whether he/she gets paid the rent money or the rent money gets paid directly to the landlord.

Many junkies / alcoholics ask for the rent to be paid to them, which usually results in them using the money to buy drugs / alcohol, and which results in them not paying their rent, and which usually results in them getting evicted.

Although the homeless problem isn't massive, it still exists more so due to human dysfunction rather than due to lack of funding from the government (which is unusual).

In the UK, there are presently a couple of cities that are running a new scheme that gives junkies who are homeless, a place to live, as well as prescribed heroin three times a day.

The areas that are running this scheme say that this strategy has reduced the amount of costs in all sorts of areas for looking after the heroin users and has resulted in a significant reduction in drug related crime.

The police officers in charge of advising on UK drug policy recently made a statement that he thought that it would be a good idea to roll out this scheme across the UK, as he believed it would reduce the costs but also be the most humane way to treat the long term heroin addicts, who are also human beings.

I personally also think that this is the most positive statement that i have heard from someone in the police ever.
I also can see how such a policy could save so many lives, and help those who have problems with heroin, to eventually rehabilitate with out judgement or pressure, but in their own time, while being cared for by heath carers in their own homes.

I have to say, I am shocked and saddened to hear of so much homelessness in the US.
The US, one of the wealthiest countries in the world, and most certainly one of the most advanced countries in the world, it is absolutely shocking to see such little care for their own people.

I also think that not paying taxes in order to provide for these people is counter productive,
as not paying the tax results in a country that has such problems, rather than a country that is safe,
and kind to its inhabitants.

I understand that the US hasn't got an endless amount of financial resources to throw at the worlds homeless crisis,
this is why i personally believe in Globalism, unite the world so that the world can solve all the problems together.

But yes, i know my fantasy for Globalism is unrealistic. Perhaps in another million years, human beings hopefully will have evolved so that they can learn to work together on such essential things and evolve spiritually to allow themselves to do so.