Question for Christians on Intelligent Design

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 1:25 pm

A lot of Christians (and other religious people) believe in Intelligent Design.

I have a question, which I need answered:

If God designed the genes, why did God create genetic illnesses?
If genetic illnesses exists to keep population in control ie. ensuring some people will die, why does God create non-fatal genetic illnesses as well, which does nothing but make the innocent victims crippled?

If God has a purpose with everything, and God has spoken to Moses and others to deliver messages to humans, why does God never reply to the Theodicy and answer it (Why all the evil in the world with a benevolent deity in control)?

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 2:31 pm

There are two types of intelligent design. One is biological design, which is purportedly achieved by irreducible complexity; peddled mostly by Mike Behe.

The others is the strong anthropic principle, which in its weaker versions, is strongly supported by science.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 2:32 pm

Good example of an unanswerable question. There’s a false premise behind the question, basically that God allowing evil or sickness is unjust. You can’t assert that God is evil or nonexistent by imposing your own limited, biased perspective.

It raises another question: How do you know that God’s perfect justice and plan for the world, after you allow for the presence of sin in a fallen creation, really could be achieved any other way? It’s logically possible that God already knew how things would turn out and rejected all other alternatives. If you have a plan or something in mind, how can you be so sure your way is actually better?

Genetic disease is one of many effects of sin. If sin is a fault line dividing man from God, genetic disease is only one of many small cracks, and it’s not even a very deep crack. As far as crippling innocent people goes, why do you make the assumption anyone is innocent? And why make the claim they are victims? If you go by the false assumption that Yahweh isn’t God or God doesn’t exist, then why all the concern for these supposed victims? Victims of what?

Why assume God doesn’t answer? Maybe He answers and you refuse to hear. Or maybe God answered enough in the past or, as He demonstrated to Job, He doesn’t owe anybody any answer or explanation. Maybe God revealed just enough to us if we want a better world, if we want to correct genetic illnesses, it’s up to us to either figure it out on our own or have faith and let God work.

I’m no doc. But if I were, I’d be grateful that God blesses me with curiosity enough to learn how to treat or cure disease and with patients who need the care I provide. Theodicy is a beautiful thing.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:08 pm

Even 'Rock Star Astrophysicist',

Neil Degrasse Tyson, Will Not Rule Out the

Potential We Are Living In a Simulated Reality

Designed by A

Much Higher

Intelligence

Than Ours;

Go Figure, Keep

Figuring; But One thing

Science 'Proves' Now; Ya Can't

Disprove the Possibility that We Do

Live in a Simulated Reality Designed

By A Much Higher Level of Intelligence;

If You Don't Like the Way

It Works, Wait for Version 7.1;

On the Other Hands, Perhaps the 'Pimply Faced

Kid' In His 'Father's Basement' Loves to Create

Living Hell and Bring Back Folks Eternally As

Grasshoppers Stepped on If they Fail to Live

A Life of Love as Gifted in Another 'Game Life';

Who Ya gonna

Blame Now,

'The Kid in the Past Future Present

Basement' Or His Father, Now;

Who Really Knows; Yet, Yes True,

Why Worry About it if You're Having Fun

Now; i Surely Know, Feel, and Sense Bliss Is

As Real Now as i Know, Feel, And Sense Bliss

Eternally Now For Real; Yet, Perhaps 'the Others'

Haven't found the Proper Power-Ups in this Video

Game Programmed by Just another Pimply Faced Kid,

In His Father's Basement...

Yet i Love

This Game

This Play More....

Meh, There is Nothing
Stopping 'A Programmer'

For A Power-Up for Free Will

For Those Who Earn it by Regulating

Emotions, and Integrating Senses And

Mastering their Happiness In Autotelic

Flow Now; Yet, Wait! Science Already Shows

This Works; It Seems More Folks Would Take

Advantage Of It, Even When 'Their Manual' Relates

(Trademark Bible)

'The Kingdom

Of Heaven

Is Within';

Apparently,

'Christians'

Don't Pay Close

Enough Attention

to the 'Cheats' in their 'Code Book'...

That's No Way to Thank The Writers; hehe of 'Their Game Play'...

Yet On the Other Hands, A Substantial Percentage Still Support

A Dude, Basically A Loser, With Most Lies; True That's in Their 'Code' Book too...

Clear

Still

As 2020

Vision InDeed

Now My God

A Revelation For All to See

And Sadly For Some to Breathe Practically Living Dead;

It Shouldn't Take too Much Intelligence to Wear a Mask

to Save Lives in a Pandemic; Yet Again, i guess They'll Wait,

Hope, and

Pray

For

Version

7.1 if they

Are not Satisfied

With Seventh Heaven

Now; As They Simply

Fail to Seek and Find

Power-Ups That Work for

An Autotelic Force of Love 'All Seeing This way now'...

Again Real

Is only

As Real

As Dream's

Fruition Feels Senses Now;

As Yes Neuroscience Suggests

We Basically Hallucinate Our Realities

So Perhaps There is as Dude Smoking

Mushrooms Still Programming Our

Next Reality Show Now...

Does it

Matter when

All is Bliss;

Hell No; Heaven's Yes!

As Heaven Is Real As Hell Now too..

Rather than Worrying About Who

Designs the Game Play; Yes Verily

Win the

Heaven

Now

And Truly

Breathe Free;

Meh; if you Earn the Codes that work...

As They Are Verily Free to View For All Today

Now :lol: As They've Already Come In Messages for

All In Almost All Religions And Even Science Now to date...

It's No Wonder The Programmer Developed 'Face Palms' To Illustrate this...

Keeping in mind

i am the

Programmer

of My own Heaven

Now as Again Science

Shows this Autotelic Flow

Is As Real As FeatherS on A Bird's Wing Now..:)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulated_reality

https://www.businessinsider.com/neil-de ... on-2016-12

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

thinkinginpictures
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 3:20 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Good example of an unanswerable question. There’s a false premise behind the question, basically that God allowing evil or sickness is unjust. You can’t assert that God is evil or nonexistent by imposing your own limited, biased perspective.

It raises another question: How do you know that God’s perfect justice and plan for the world, after you allow for the presence of sin in a fallen creation, really could be achieved any other way? It’s logically possible that God already knew how things would turn out and rejected all other alternatives. If you have a plan or something in mind, how can you be so sure your way is actually better?

Genetic disease is one of many effects of sin. If sin is a fault line dividing man from God, genetic disease is only one of many small cracks, and it’s not even a very deep crack. As far as crippling innocent people goes, why do you make the assumption anyone is innocent? And why make the claim they are victims? If you go by the false assumption that Yahweh isn’t God or God doesn’t exist, then why all the concern for these supposed victims? Victims of what?

Why assume God doesn’t answer? Maybe He answers and you refuse to hear. Or maybe God answered enough in the past or, as He demonstrated to Job, He doesn’t owe anybody any answer or explanation. Maybe God revealed just enough to us if we want a better world, if we want to correct genetic illnesses, it’s up to us to either figure it out on our own or have faith and let God work.

I’m no doc. But if I were, I’d be grateful that God blesses me with curiosity enough to learn how to treat or cure disease and with patients who need the care I provide. Theodicy is a beautiful thing.

What you're basically saying is that punishment for hereditary sin is just.
But it's unjust. Why should descendants suffer because of what their ancestors did?

It would be like if your parents commit a crime and you get punished as well, even though you are completely innocent.

It's a flawed moral to say the least!

Quote:

Sorry, but that's a really sick idea: "I will cause a lot of disease, death and misery, only to make people do beautiful things."

- I'd rather prefer the disease, death and misery didn't come to into existence in the first place!

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 6:32 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
But it's unjust. Why should descendants suffer because of what their ancestors did?

Actually, you are accountable for your own sin.
Since the ancestors brought sin in to this world, they and everything in this world from that point on are poisoned by sin.
Since the system is poisoned, everything generated by that system and within that system is poisoned.
Including you and me.

Probably a less than perfect analogy but at the moment it is the one I have; sin is a poison - if the world is a 10 gallon, 5 liter, coffee urn - and a teacup of poison enters the many gallons of coffee, all the coffee in the urn is poisoned, everything which comes out of that urn is poisoned.

The children who come out of ancestors who were poisoned by sin must themselves be poisoned by sin & the chain of sin continues through the generations.

And the poison of sin is so powerful and we and this world are so fully saturated with it that we can not pull ourselves out of sin, therefore the way to overcome this sin-saturated system had to come from outside of, come from beyond, this system. Those who swallow their pride and admit they can not save themselves from the accursed system they were born from and in to, and who accept the way out, will have an eternity to live free of sin in a renewed system which will be forever free of the effects of sin.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2020, 6:47 pm

If God designed the genes, why did God create genetic illnesses?
If genetic illnesses exists to keep population in control ie. ensuring some people will die, why does God create non-fatal genetic illnesses as well, which does nothing but make the innocent victims crippled?

(Why all the evil in the world with a benevolent deity in control)?

The answer to those questions is that they arise from living in a world which suffers the effects of sin & from the curse which was placed on this world as a result of sin.

Without going in to whether it was an actual tree and an actual fruit and what the fruit was, or if it is metaphor, the original humans were told to not eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, which makes sense with the way to truly 'know' evil being to experience evil.
But, nope, the original humans bought in to the "Well if you do go and eat that you will be just like God and by the way God is a liar and you won't die like it was said you will for doing that." line which was fed to them.

So now humanity knows evil by way of living in a big ugly puddle of it.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 1:08 am

AngelRho wrote:

It would be like if your parents commit a crime and you get punished as well, even though you are completely innocent.

Quote:

Sorry, but that's a really sick idea: "I will cause a lot of disease, death and misery, only to make people do beautiful things."

- I'd rather prefer the disease, death and misery didn't come to into existence in the first place!

Wouldn’t we all?

Like I said...you’re asking a question predicated on an anti-theistic premise that I don’t accept. God’s plan is perfect. He doesn’t need our approval or permission. You are unable to prove that God’s will for restoring Earth to a sinless state could be accomplished any other way.

You are also making an assumption that our world exists for our sake. Your mind is depraved and cannot comprehend that the universe and everything in it exists for God’s pleasure and He can dispose of us as He pleases. That we get enjoy any life at all, genetic disease or no, is better than we deserve.

Who are these “innocents” of whom you speak? In a fallen world, there’s no such thing as an innocent person.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 2:26 am

Somehing to keep in mind is that genetic disease and other disease didn't originally exist in humans and they had close to thousand year lifespans. But humans began engaging in bizarre sexual practices such as incest and beastiality etc which created diseases and corrupted the gene pool.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 2:56 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
Somehing to keep in mind is that genetic disease and other disease didn't originally exist in humans and they had close to thousand year lifespans. But humans began engaging in bizarre sexual practices such as incest

Do you believe that all humans are descended from Adam and Eve? If so, what choice did their children have, other than incest with each other, in order to "be fruitful and multiply"?

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 3:03 am

There's two theories about that, that I know of. One is that the geanome was so different at that time, it didn't create genetic abnormalities. The other is that other humans were created right after Adam and Eve. What's known as the eighth day creation.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2020, 7:03 am

AngelRho wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Quote:

Wouldn’t we all?

Like I said...you’re asking a question predicated on an anti-theistic premise that I don’t accept. God’s plan is perfect. He doesn’t need our approval or permission. You are unable to prove that God’s will for restoring Earth to a sinless state could be accomplished any other way.

You are also making an assumption that our world exists for our sake. Your mind is depraved and cannot comprehend that the universe and everything in it exists for God’s pleasure and He can dispose of us as He pleases. That we get enjoy any life at all, genetic disease or no, is better than we deserve.

Who are these “innocents” of whom you speak? In a fallen world, there’s no such thing as an innocent person.

I don't think you should be going around accusing members of having depraved minds, please. That can be seen as against the rules. Thanks.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 7:25 am

Tempus Fugit wrote:
There's two theories about that, that I know of. One is that the geanome was so different at that time, it didn't create genetic abnormalities. The other is that other humans were created right after Adam and Eve. What's known as the eighth day creation.

Or right before. Genesis says God created mankind. You don’t get to Adam and Eve until after you turn the page. In fact, the Bible doesn’t specify how animals and humans were created, only how Adam and Eve were created. They were a special creation who acted as a liaison between God and creation.

Everyone living now are descendants of Adam and Eve. It seems that human/demon relations had further corrupted the genome. Noah’s sons had married by the time of the deluge. Their families were genetically diverse enough that intermarriage would not technically be incest, which is really sibling relationships and anything closer than 1st cousins. No aunts/uncles, no half- or step-siblings. I’m not promoting marrying your cousins, I’m just saying that seems to be more cultural/societal than actual science. An ongoing pattern of marrying strictly within the family and close relationships can result in desirable genetic traits, but we know from history with royal families this is most often a bad idea. Assuming genetic diversity from the outset, such as it is now, cousins aren’t that bad.

Side note: Isolated communities such as inner cities and mountain communities have a long history of incest. I noticed this as a teacher in a high needs area. I had a girl in 7th grade who was pregnant and couldn’t understand how her parents could let that happen. Then it hit me...mom’s at work and we don’t even know who dad is. There’s a half-brother or uncle abusing these girls and mom’s trying to keep someone out of prison. When you have a long-standing pattern of this, you do start to see a prevalence of genetic disease. It gets comical because after a while you almost can’t avoid accidentally having relations with your aunt or brother. You never would have known you were related in the first place, “father unknown,” or your fathers aren’t who you think they are.

I don’t believe that’s the case in the Bible. Incest is clearly defined and strictly forbidden. Adam’s children/grandchildren would have been no exception. Noah’s children and grandchildren would have been no exception. Incest was a feature of certain pagan religions who saw their leaders as deities and pressured royal siblings to marry in imitation of their gods. Incest in that case wasn’t just a bad idea. It was a conscious rejection of God’s sovereignty.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 7:36 am

envirozentinel wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

Quote:

Wouldn’t we all?

I don't think you should be going around accusing members of having depraved minds, please. That can be seen as against the rules. Thanks.

The discussion touches on the Christian belief that sin corrupts all of creation. It’s not an insult nor does it violate any rules to point out the effects of sin on the human mind. Christians don’t get a free pass on depravity, either.

If discussions aren’t allowed to presuppose tenets of Christian faith, then members should should stop baiting other members who are Christians. Perhaps my mistake was thinking this had potential to be an honest discussion. As I said, no free pass on depravity.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2020, 8:13 am

AngelRho wrote:
Tempus Fugit wrote:

Or right before. Genesis says God created mankind. You don’t get to Adam and Eve until after you turn the page. In fact, the Bible doesn’t specify how animals and humans were created, only how Adam and Eve were created. They were a special creation who acted as a liaison between God and creation.

Everyone living now are descendants of Adam and Eve. It seems that human/demon relations had further corrupted the genome. Noah’s sons had married by the time of the deluge. Their families were genetically diverse enough that intermarriage would not technically be incest, which is really sibling relationships and anything closer than 1st cousins. No aunts/uncles, no half- or step-siblings. I’m not promoting marrying your cousins, I’m just saying that seems to be more cultural/societal than actual science. An ongoing pattern of marrying strictly within the family and close relationships can result in desirable genetic traits, but we know from history with royal families this is most often a bad idea. Assuming genetic diversity from the outset, such as it is now, cousins aren’t that bad.

Side note: Isolated communities such as inner cities and mountain communities have a long history of incest. I noticed this as a teacher in a high needs area. I had a girl in 7th grade who was pregnant and couldn’t understand how her parents could let that happen. Then it hit me...mom’s at work and we don’t even know who dad is. There’s a half-brother or uncle abusing these girls and mom’s trying to keep someone out of prison. When you have a long-standing pattern of this, you do start to see a prevalence of genetic disease. It gets comical because after a while you almost can’t avoid accidentally having relations with your aunt or brother. You never would have known you were related in the first place, “father unknown,” or your fathers aren’t who you think they are.

I don’t believe that’s the case in the Bible. Incest is clearly defined and strictly forbidden. Adam’s children/grandchildren would have been no exception. Noah’s children and grandchildren would have been no exception. Incest was a feature of certain pagan religions who saw their leaders as deities and pressured royal siblings to marry in imitation of their gods. Incest in that case wasn’t just a bad idea. It was a conscious rejection of God’s sovereignty.

You're right, before makes more sense and is more scripturally sound. What I was mainly focusing on was that early on human beings were far superior based on their extremely long life spans. So the initial creation likely didn't contain the flaws we see today. That genetic disease is a result of steady degradation.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Dec 2020, 8:18 am

AngelRho wrote:
The discussion touches on the Christian belief that sin corrupts all of creation. It’s not an insult nor does it violate any rules to point out the effects of sin on the human mind. Christians don’t get a free pass on depravity, either.

If discussions aren’t allowed to presuppose tenets of Christian faith, then members should should stop baiting other members who are Christians. Perhaps my mistake was thinking this had potential to be an honest discussion. As I said, no free pass on depravity.

Saying "your mind is depraved" is interpreted as a personal attack.
Saying "human mind is depraved" is interpreted as a philosophical belief.
If you meant the latter, I can edit your post to make it clear.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>