29 Jan 2021, 12:43 am

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 1:34 am

Down at the bottom of the thing, "There's only one human race" brings to mind,

Quote:
If separate racial or ethnic groups actually existed, we would expect to find “trademark” alleles and other genetic features that are characteristic of a single group but not present in any others. However, the 2002 Stanford study found that only 7.4% of over 4000 alleles were specific to one geographical region. Furthermore, even when region-specific alleles did appear, they only occurred in about 1% of the people from that region—hardly enough to be any kind of trademark. Thus, there is no evidence that the groups we commonly call “races” have distinct, unifying genetic identities. In fact, there is ample variation within races (Figure 1B).

Ultimately, there is so much ambiguity between the races, and so much variation within them, that two people of European descent may be more genetically similar to an Asian person than they are to each other (Figure 2).

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2017/ ... t-century/

Quote:
Does “race” still mean something?

The divisions between races are doubtlessly blurred, but does this necessarily mean that race is a myth—a mere social construct and biologically meaningless? As with other race-related questions, the answer is multi-dimensional and may well depend on whom you ask.

In the biological and social sciences, the consensus is clear: race is a social construct, not a biological attribute.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jan 2021, 3:25 am

The "covert racism" in the picture is, IMO, a mix of real covert racism (self-segregating neighborhoods, not believing experiences of people of other ethnicities, school-to-prison pipeline etc.) and... virtually anything short of being an activist (color-blindness? You're racist when you see people as just people and not think of their ancestry? Or is it some culture-dependent dog-whistle that requires a long introduction and I'm inherently racist for being form other culture and not knowing?)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 4:09 am

League_Girl wrote:

So where do you stand?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 4:16 am

^
I am also puzzled as to what point the OP was making.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 4:22 am

Well, this pyramid seems to be both WHITE-centric and US-centric. So, the title should address which society and among which group of people these things may or may not be acceptable. Otherwise, it's a broad topic with a limited focus.

I think racism exists on a global scale, and doesn't even need white people or American political talking points to exist.

Look up Filipinos in Saudi Arabia or the Afro-Japanese model Ariana Miyamoto. I think, ironically, OP may be unaware of his/her own narrow-sightedness.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 4:29 am

Thanks for letting us know what forms of racism are socially acceptable. :) :) :)

Be the hero of your life.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 4:38 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Well, this pyramid seems to be both WHITE-centric and US-centric. So, the title should address which society and among which group of people these things may or may not be acceptable. Otherwise, it's a broad topic with a limited focus.

I think racism exists on a global scale, and doesn't even need white people or American political talking points to exist.

Look up Filipinos in Saudi Arabia or the Afro-Japanese model Ariana Miyamoto. I think, ironically, OP may be unaware of his/her own narrow-sightedness.

Agreed.

BTW, The term 'racism' isn't accurate, imo.
I see it more in terms of 'Culturalism' or 'Tribalism'.

When I was a child, I was psychologically abused by a Caucasian 'racist' Australian teacher because I was half German.
Racism is *not* something which is purely something Caucasians have against other 'races'.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jan 2021, 4:53 am

I'd rather say, "ethnicism" or, even broader "tribalism" is universal - prejudice of favoring "our folks" and discriminating against "not our folks, especially them". That seems really universal.
The lines of division can but do not have to go along North American concept of race.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

29 Jan 2021, 9:35 am

Socially acceptable racism: Hoping your country win at the Olympics?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 9:59 am

There is only one human race comes to mind. I do think that there is only one human race and that a person's skin colour shouldn't matter this day in age.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 10:22 am

Socially acceptable racism also seems to include non-white people verbally attacking white people for their skin color... when I was still in school, one kid got in horrible trouble for using the "N-word" about a dark skinned boy, but that same boy used to call others "white trash" and other such names all the time and all he ever got was a scolding if a teacher happened to overhear. Of course, it could be that it was just a thing in my school, but in the internet I've seen some people say that a colored person attacking a white person like that isn't even racism, so I think this is a real issue...

OutsideView wrote:
Socially acceptable racism: Hoping your country win at the Olympics?

That ain't racism, that's rooting for your own team.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 10:35 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Socially acceptable racism also seems to include non-white people verbally attacking white people for their skin color... when I was still in school, one kid got in horrible trouble for using the "N-word" about a dark skinned boy, but that same boy used to call others "white trash" and other such names all the time and all he ever got was a scolding if a teacher happened to overhear. Of course, it could be that it was just a thing in my school, but in the internet I've seen some people say that a colored person attacking a white person like that isn't even racism, so I think this is a real issue...

Do you think that there might historical reasons why "white trash" and the N word are not treated the same?

Maybe I don't know the details, but my understanding is that saying "white trash" is usually about class rather than just race, the certain stereotype of people who live in trailer parks or something. While the N word generally is just about their race.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2021, 10:39 am

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
Down at the bottom of the thing, "There's only one human race" brings to mind..
Humans are a species, not a race.

"Race" is to humans what "breed" is to dogs.  There is no single, all-encompassing "breed" of dogs; hence, there is no single, all-encompassing "race" of humans.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

29 Jan 2021, 10:44 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

Do you think that there might historical reasons why "white trash" and the N word are not treated the same?

Maybe I don't know the details, but my understanding is that saying "white trash" is usually about class rather than just race, the certain stereotype of people who live in trailer parks or something. While the N word generally is just about their race.

Do you think this historical context should be expected to be already known and understood by 8yos?

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

29 Jan 2021, 11:54 am

Fireblossom wrote:
That ain't racism, that's rooting for your own team.

That was a bit of a joke really. Although I do think it's interesting that "I hope that person wins a medal because they are British" is OK but "I hope that person gets hired for the job because they're British" isn't.