Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jan 2021, 6:17 am

Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Anyone who voted for Trump, wears a MAGA hat, or sports a Trump bumper-sticker on their vehicle has already lost every argument they will ever have with me.
Is this the definition of "Partisanship"?  "My way or the highway"?
Gee, I do not know ... why do you not ask your buddy Donald "You're Fired" Trump?
Voting Trump in 2016 may have happened for a number of reasons, not least of them being Hillary.
Supporting Trump now - in my opinion, it's likely to be an example of loyalty over better judgement.
Which is not that rare, unfortunately.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 7:39 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Anyone who voted for Trump, wears a MAGA hat, or sports a Trump bumper-sticker on their vehicle has already lost every argument they will ever have with me.
Gee, I do not know ... why do you not ask your buddy Donald "You're Fired" Trump?
Voting Trump in 2016 may have happened for a number of reasons, not least of them being Hillary.
Supporting Trump now - in my opinion, it's likely to be an example of loyalty over better judgement.

Hillary lost the election.
The "Anyone but trump party" won this one. 8)

[sigh]
Fnord is so out of touch.
How many bazillion times do I have to say I always thought Trump was a narcissistic ninny? :roll: :mrgreen:

Blind Partisanship is an example of groupthink.
And it happens on both sides. 8)

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jan 2021, 7:51 am

^ Please, both gentlemen, don't dance around personal attacks. That sets bad example.

To me, the problem is not the Orange Duck himself but social and psychological mechanisms that raised him into power. They won't be helped if we all just turn our backs in disgust. However, turning back in disgust may be a way to protect your own sanity.

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 8:31 am

Donald Trump is the rightful grand leader of the Q-American Party! Stop them from counting deep state dead lizard people votes!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 8:53 am

magz wrote:
To me, the problem is not the Orange Duck himself but social and psychological mechanisms that raised him into power. They won't be helped if we all just turn our backs in disgust. However, turning back in disgust may be a way to protect your own sanity.

I both agree and yet strongly (but politely) disagree.

IMHO it's not psychological nearly as much as economic. Mark Blyth's 'Global Trumpism' from 2016 and 'How We Got Here and Why' from 2019 are really important lectures in terms of decoding the current moment. The idea that half the nation is a basket of deplorables is a bit of a parade float obscuring what's more fundamental and what's been driving everyone left, right, and center crazier for really the past 50 years but most notably since the 2008 bailouts.

Pretty much when you put people in an increasingly worse no-win economic situation and perpetually lie to them you're twisting up the 'generalized crazy' knob and all of this starts bouncing out in seemingly incoherent ways because there's a heck of a problem and people aren't readily able to put their finger on it - which causes classic Rene Girard memetic meltdown, witch hunting, etc.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 9:10 am

magz wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

It’s simple: They didn’t want a female president.

The joke will be on them, however, because if Biden can’t finish his term, Kamala Harris becomes president.

An educated woman of color from California is their worst nightmare.

Imagine if she were 20 years younger and a lesbian, they would totally lose their sh*t!! !

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 9:20 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

The joke will be on them, however, because if Biden can’t finish his term, Kamala Harris becomes president.

Imagine if she were 20 years younger and a lesbian, they would totally lose their sh*t!! !

It's really tough to imagine nearly 50% of the country being that obsessed over gender.

What that is, however, is a great thing for the Democratic party to say to itself if they want to never have to lift a finger toward actually making the country better for the working class (deplorables) and want to keep raking in those multinational tech corporate dollars.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 9:42 am

magz wrote:
... the problem is not the Orange Duck himself but social and psychological mechanisms that raised him into power.  They won't be helped if we all just turn our backs in disgust.  However, turning back in disgust may be a way to protect your own sanity.
I am not turning my back in disgust; I am laughing in their faces.

Those "social and psychological mechanisms" you cited originate in the Patriarchy (e.g., wealthy white males who dominate the corporate/financial environment) -- an environment in which "Might Makes Right"; where Racism, Sexism, Xenophobia, and an over-reaching sense of entitlement reminiscent of the "Divine Right of Kings" run rampant; and where us "Deplorables" are forbidden to tread.

In other words, those bullies you knew in grade school exemplified the mind-set of the Patriarchy, and many of them grew up to join their uppermost ranks.

Who needs love, loyalty, and respect when you can just fire someone for any reason (or no reason at all) and then replace that person with another?  You do not even have to know their names!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jan 2021, 9:56 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

It's really tough to imagine nearly 50% of the country being that obsessed over gender.

What that is, however, is a great thing for the Democratic party to say to itself if they want to never have to lift a finger toward actually making the country better for the working class (deplorables) and want to keep raking in those multinational tech corporate dollars.
Do you mean "people being poor and without hope are getting crazy"?
Yeah, we had it in the region in the previous century. I don't recommend repeating the stories.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 10:04 am

magz wrote:
Do you mean "people being poor and without hope are getting crazy"?
Yeah, we had it in the region in the previous century. I don't recommend repeating the stories.

Mark Blyth's 'How We Got Here and Why' paints a terrifying picture of that actually, and not even by Mark's emphasis. He seems to feel that we'll pull through this with something like a Green New Deal that will hit the moment everyone's forced to admit that climate change is real, we're still in about the same part of the power cycle, as you said above, that's akin to the late 1920's and in some senses rather than a 1929 crash we're getting a different kind of modulation through Covid.

But yeah, general discomfort levels and increased struggle to survive erode sanity, everyone's got their own fragments and ways in which that can break down and the whole crazy map lighting up across the political spectrum is what a generalized effect pushed from a lower level looks like.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 10:18 am

Pepe wrote:
Blind Partisanship is an example of groupthink.
And it happens on both sides. 8)

But the Democrats did not make that the central driver in their platform. You can trace this back to Newt Gingrich. And that is the difference.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 10:44 am

Jiheisho wrote:
... the Democrats did not make that the central driver in their policy. And that is the difference.
Trump did.  He promised "law and order" but delivered lawlessness.  His extremist rhetoric and attempts to undo the voice and will of American voters were aided and abetted by the Republican Party, an organization that, thanks to Trump, has left democracy behind.  Today the masks are finally off and Americans can see the true ideology of Trump and his allies: power, to be held onto any at cost.

Is it "Blind Partisanship" to show contempt for the tyrannical actions of one man and the people he corrupted?

"Once upon a time, a man appeared on the political landscape who seemed to stand for something new and grand.  Skilled in the arts of self-presentation and emotional manipulation, he captured the hearts and minds of millions, telling them he would clean up the country.  Soon, a personality cult formed around him.  Religious figures embraced him as "The Chosen One" who would bring order to a disordered world.  And yet, day after day, he courted the most extremist elements in society, encouraging them to see him as a victim of his many enemies.  When his power was threatened, he summoned them to defend him, throwing this country into chaos and risked dragging it into civil war..."

This describes the Authoritarian Playbook: a mode of governance and set of tactics that President Donald Trump has followed since he ran for office and has been relying on more than ever since he was honestly and legally defeated in the November 3rd election.  The events of January 6th, when armed Trump supporters stormed Congress, fit this pattern perfectly.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 11:19 am

I'm going to need more popcorn if I'm going to keep watching all the trump boot lickers suddenly cough up the big orange foot they swallowed and act like they have no idea where it came from or who's it is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 11:21 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
I'm going to need more popcorn if I'm going to keep watching all the trump boot lickers suddenly cough up the big orange foot they swallowed and act like they have no idea where it came from or who's it is.
They will also have to cough up all that Trumptastic™ Kool-Aid they have been drinking all these years.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 11:55 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
It’s simple: They didn’t want a female president. (...)
It's really tough to imagine nearly 50% of the country being that obsessed over gender. (...)

Well, 62,984,828 Americans knowingly voted for a [insert very not-nice word here] in 2016 who held the following views:

You Know Who wrote:
Yeah that's her with the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful... I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Grab them by the p****. You can do anything.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2021, 12:01 pm

GGPViper wrote:
Well, 62,984,828 Americans knowingly voted for a [insert very not-nice word here] in 2016 who held the following views:

You Know Who wrote:
Yeah that's her with the gold. I better use some Tic Tacs just in case I start kissing her. You know I'm automatically attracted to beautiful... I just start kissing them. It's like a magnet. Just kiss. I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything.

Grab them by the p****. You can do anything.

I wonder if anyone's attempted any serious tally for how many votes that won or lost him? The idea that it gave him even a several million vote boost (more likely a several million vote loss) is a tough sell.