Are there any post coup attempt EX-trump supporters here?

Page 2 of 22 [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 2:55 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Umm, American democracy is literally what was under attack. These morons were attempting to prevent a democratically elected potus from being officially certified in order to install their orange cult leader as a dictator instead. How is this not crystal clear to you? :?

I don't support what happened at the Capitol. HOWEVER, as you yourself pointed out, those people were morons. There's no way in hell their disruption would or could ever literally stop the federal government from proceeding or functioning indefinitely, nor lead to an overthrow of American government entirely. Never in a million years. So, it's silly to pretend it actually could. It accomplished nothing, nor could it ever have. Which is why I don't think the whole government apparatus could collapse over a few hundred morons. Which is why we need to stop pretending this compares to the destruction and collapse of the Twin Towers and the death of 3,000 people.

goldfish21 wrote:
The democratic process, while slightly modified to accommodate the fact that Americans are living through a raging pandemic, was the exact same process for every eligible voter regardless of party affiliation or none at all. Democrats, republicans, independents - everyone was allowed to vote. Many people who are not science denying morons led to believe covid is a Democrat hoax opted to vote safely by mail while trump screwed his own chances of winning by telling his followers not to vote by mail. That’s his own damned fault. Literally every eligible voter had the same opportunity to vote, though, so in the end it simply came down to who had 7 Million more votes than the other guy. Not sure why any of this is difficult for you to follow, either. :? :? Or did you mean to say you simply don’t like the results of the election because trump lost? :? :?

The problem is anyone who questions anything is clearly a "domestic terrorist" or a "Trump supporter." I'm neither. I don't really care for either candidate, but that's not the point. The pandemic has killed about 300,000 people in a country of 320,000,000. Sad, but not worth shutting down society over. Many feel this way regardless of political persuasion (though most are afraid to say so outright).

It's about the PROCESS, not the candidates. Traditionally, if you're legally eligible to vote, you register and show up at ONE designated location on ONE day between a certain time frame. A small minority may REQUEST absentee ballots. This year, millions of unsolicited ballots were sent out en masse by 50+ little fiefdoms with their own off-the-cuff, newly-invented procedures for wide-scale mail-in voting. This undermines faith in the process itself.

goldfish21 wrote:
2020 was a highly unorthodox year. The better part of half a Million Americans died in a raging viral pandemic. Why wouldn’t you expect some accommodations to an election to keep people safe? :? :?

The longer these lockdowns go on, the more I fear for our safety. I don't think society as a whole can take living like this indefinitely, and the ramifications will be worse than anything accomplished by shutting down normal procedure.

goldfish21 wrote:
FYI We had a Provincial election here in October...

One political entity called British Columbia decided to have the option of mail-in voting for its internal, provincial elections. Great!

In the USA, 50 states (+the District of Columbia and various territories) all came up with their disjointed approaches at voting, not for internal matters, but for voting on a national scale. There was no NATIONAL standard. Some states flat out refused to have any open polls, and forced everyone to vote by mail. The chaos is not reassuring to the democratic process.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:28 am

Side note: What are your opinions of the Stonewall Riot?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:33 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Umm, American democracy is literally what was under attack. These morons were attempting to prevent a democratically elected potus from being officially certified in order to install their orange cult leader as a dictator instead. How is this not crystal clear to you? :?

I don't support what happened at the Capitol. HOWEVER, as you yourself pointed out, those people were morons. There's no way in hell their disruption would or could ever literally stop the federal government from proceeding or functioning indefinitely, nor lead to an overthrow of American government entirely. Never in a million years. So, it's silly to pretend it actually could. It accomplished nothing, nor could it ever have. Which is why I don't think the whole government apparatus could collapse over a few hundred morons. Which is why we need to stop pretending this compares to the destruction and collapse of the Twin Towers and the death of 3,000 people.

goldfish21 wrote:
The democratic process, while slightly modified to accommodate the fact that Americans are living through a raging pandemic, was the exact same process for every eligible voter regardless of party affiliation or none at all. Democrats, republicans, independents - everyone was allowed to vote. Many people who are not science denying morons led to believe covid is a Democrat hoax opted to vote safely by mail while trump screwed his own chances of winning by telling his followers not to vote by mail. That’s his own damned fault. Literally every eligible voter had the same opportunity to vote, though, so in the end it simply came down to who had 7 Million more votes than the other guy. Not sure why any of this is difficult for you to follow, either. :? :? Or did you mean to say you simply don’t like the results of the election because trump lost? :? :?

The problem is anyone who questions anything is clearly a "domestic terrorist" or a "Trump supporter." I'm neither. I don't really care for either candidate, but that's not the point. The pandemic has killed about 300,000 people in a country of 320,000,000. Sad, but not worth shutting down society over. Many feel this way regardless of political persuasion (though most are afraid to say so outright).

It's about the PROCESS, not the candidates. Traditionally, if you're legally eligible to vote, you register and show up at ONE designated location on ONE day between a certain time frame. A small minority may REQUEST absentee ballots. This year, millions of unsolicited ballots were sent out en masse by 50+ little fiefdoms with their own off-the-cuff, newly-invented procedures for wide-scale mail-in voting. This undermines faith in the process itself.

goldfish21 wrote:
2020 was a highly unorthodox year. The better part of half a Million Americans died in a raging viral pandemic. Why wouldn’t you expect some accommodations to an election to keep people safe? :? :?

The longer these lockdowns go on, the more I fear for our safety. I don't think society as a whole can take living like this indefinitely, and the ramifications will be worse than anything accomplished by shutting down normal procedure.

goldfish21 wrote:
FYI We had a Provincial election here in October...

One political entity called British Columbia decided to have the option of mail-in voting for its internal, provincial elections. Great!

In the USA, 50 states (+the District of Columbia and various territories) all came up with their disjointed approaches at voting, not for internal matters, but for voting on a national scale. There was no NATIONAL standard. Some states flat out refused to have any open polls, and forced everyone to vote by mail. The chaos is not reassuring to the democratic process.

If a moron robs a bank just after an armoured car takes all the cash reserves away and then trips and falls and hits his head and gets picked up by the cops within 5 minutes, did he not still just rob a bank? :? You don’t have to be successful at a crime for it still to have been the crime you attempted and failed at. Just take a look at the laundry list of charges these delusional chucklefucks are racking up.

It’s worse than 9/11 in the sense that it was perpetrated by Americans against America. It also had support from Republican members of government who were involved in the planning. It’s also part of a larger movement to destabilize American democracy with planned attacks in all 50 states. How much more serious could this get? :?

Death toll wise it’s not comparable to 9/11, but every single day of trump’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic is - more than 4,000 souls lost per day now.

Absurd to suggest people think 350,000+ (it’s said to be dramatically under counted) dead are just collateral damage no one cares much about. It’s also stupid to suggest those people had to die for the economy. Other countries have managed to maintain their economies AND have low death rates by following the science & clear instructions from their public health officials and advisors.

There weren’t mass quantities of unsolicited ballots mailed out to every address. Another trump lie. Only ballot request applications. And those 50 “fiefdoms,” are called states and they each have their own election laws that were followed And then scrutinized to the nth degree after trump lost and whined about it. Every possible investigation and recount determine the election was free and fair and there was no evidence of widespread voter fraud that altered the outcome of the election. That’s why ~60 courts & judges, including the Supreme Court, all kicked the trump campaign’s frivolous election fraud lawsuits to the curb. Lack of evidence to proceed with any cases Because none exists to present! It was all just a ruse to fleece magas of donations to pay off $170M in campaign debt and to stroke trump’s ego because he couldn’t mentally accept the fact that he’s a loser.

Lockdowns are only as necessary as they are rn because Americans seem to be really slow learners and unable to follow the simple instructions the whole rest of the world has been able to follow to slow the spread of covid-19. Now the next constraint you guys have to returning to some semblance of normal life is the very low level of public education in the USA that’s resulted in a bunch of anti science antivaxxers who won’t get a covid vaccine to help achieve herd immunity via vaccination so that this pandemic can be put to bed.

No states in the USA have identical election laws in the first place. They all run their own elections. Whether in person or by mail, each of them had audit-able checks and balances in place & several of them went through recounts to appease the orange guy and red hats. For example, upon closer examination, trump lost 3 times in a row in Georgia. :)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:37 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Side note: What are your opinions of the Stonewall Riot?

Fan. Marsha P Johnson started a human rights movement by putting her foot down and saying no more to police brutality, government & societal oppression. Fighting back against cops is not the same thing as attacking police officers. Nice try trying to equate the two to make a stupid point, though. Was fun calling you on it. 100% would do again. :)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 3:44 am

goldfish21 wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Calling it a glorified sit in as absurd and only serves to identify yourself as a domestic terrorist sympathizer. Gross.

Don't worry, I'm not Canadian, so I'm not domestic as far as you and your separate country are concerned. Nor are you an American.

It's tragic when people are killed at mass gatherings (like people who've gotten trampled to death at concerts or suffocated in night clubs). Those who deliberately attacked and bludgeoned a police officer to death are indeed guilty of murder. I have no sympathy for them.

But after seeing a whole chunk of the city of Seattle get taken over by separatists, with seemingly little objection, I'm baffled that the the Capitol riot is being compared to 9/11. I don't think American democracy was literally under threat at any point, and those who claim it was are being overly dramatic.

goldfish21 wrote:
This is not how you change a political system in a functioning democracy. You organize and vote - like over 80 Million Democrats did to fire trump and initiate some positive change for the direction of the federal leadership of the USA.

The reason so many Americans are frustrated is not specifically because of Trump. Had we had a normal election day and Trump lost, you wouldn't be seeing this. What's happened instead is that a pandemic had been used to create an election month. Highly irregular and concerning to many who believe in the democratic process.

I'm not really bothered by the winner or loser of the election. I'm bothered by the highly unorthodox process that took place in 2020.

Forgot to mention that police & military are under investigation for their roles in what happened - the lack of police presence to protect the building and its occupants, cops allowing rioters in etc. This has been noted by European experts as a legitimate coup attempt by djt and his loyalists. Pretty serious business.

Doesn’t matter where I live. Domestic terrorists = originating in the country they attacked, which they did.

FYI We had a Provincial election here in October. Everyone had the option of voting by mail if we wanted to - over a longer period of time than normal. We decided to vote in person IF there were no lines/crowds - and the place was empty so mask 6’ vote leave np. I think I remember reading that around 30% of people voted by mail. No one complained about any of it. It went off without a hitch - in part because no one from any political party was spreading dangerous lies about the election process like trump did in the USA.

This reminds me:

https://partylesspolitics.com/2021/01/1 ... DO2AkhHpqI

I guess they have made themselves a laughing stock for the rest of the world and for our US history. Something for students to learn in school but what will that day be called, Capital Hill Storm?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:15 am

Maga melee? Red hat riot? Low iQ day?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 4:16 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Here, Stephen kindly explains this in easy to understand plain language for about 12.5 minutes: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/stephen- ... 42b70042a0

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 5:20 am

I watched the Colbert video. I think what Steve D'antuono is saying is perfectly reasonable, those folks were criminals. Colbert, however, suggests ANYONE and EVERYONE who so much as showed the slightest support for Trump at any point during his presidency is equally culpable. "MAGA people," he sounds unhinged.

You know, if some folks robbed a TD bank and stole several thousand dollars, they're most certainly criminals. To argue, however, that robbing a bank is going to completely and totally destroy the billion dollar corporation that is Toronto-Dominion is absurd. Furthermore, saying anyone who is critical of any TD policy is now sympathetic toward bank robbers and should be treated as a criminal is very scary. This seems to be what you and Colbert are advocating.

With the riots in American cities over the summer, there are clearly a large number of people who feel something is wrong and want their voices heard. Most of them are peaceful and not responsible for the criminal element that vandalized public and private property.

Same goes for Stonewall, same goes for the DC protests. To say ANYONE and EVERYONE other than the perpetrators should be demonized is troublesome. In principle, you may not agree with the politics of the ANTIFA folk, or the Capitol folk, or the Stonewall folk. But to say they're ALL criminals is appalling.

Imagine Johnny Carson going on TV after Stonewall and saying, "The sodomites are not only perverted, but they're ALL violent criminals with no respect for civil authority. Any and all who support the Stonewall terrorism or practice that alternate lifestyle are equally criminal terrorists, and we need even stricter sodomy laws. Lock 'em all up!"

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 8:28 am

During his rally before the storming he did say “peaceful”. He did not specifically say storm the capital. IMHO this was done intentionally just for the purpose of not being held criminally libel. It was also done just to give a reason for his non violent supporters to ignore the not 100 percent incitement language in the rest of the speech.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 9:18 am

Donald Trump is responsible for the attempted coup.  He will be held accountable.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:53 am

Trump supporters are absolutely complicit in this. They spent four years enabling and ignoring warning signs. They accepted the support of white supremacists and their I'll because it helped them win elections without regard for their toxic influence.

Comparing this to the Stonewall Riots is hilarious. Those were people rioting against police brutality and the routine violation of their rights and dignity. That riot was done in the name of human rights and has been shown (as much as social conservatives despise having to admit it) to be on the right side of history.
This "sit-in" by Trump supporters was an extremist mob which would have lynched members of congress for refusing to listen to their repeatedly debunked claims of election fraud. I do appreciate the argument made that it somehow wasn't an attempted coup because it wouldn't have succeeded. Really scraping the bottom of the barrel to defend this huh? Of course it would have failed. If they had gotten into congress and starting murdering democratic or Republican lawmakers who refused to say Biden lost, then they would have eventually been forced out by the military or police. It would not have kept Trump in power. An attempted coup remains a coup. Attempt to incite mob violence is still inciting mob violence.
These people were not fighting real injustice. If they thought they were, its because of men like Trump and his republican enablers giving them false hope that they still had a chance to keep Trump in office. This was not based in reality. Never was. Trying to keep a democratically elected president from taking power is not fighting for justice. It is fighting against justice. Against democracy.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Well, the destruction of the the World Trade Center would never have brought down our government either. Neither would the Oklahoma city bombing. So we just label the terrorists as morons and go about our business? It is OK that we can simply use violence if we don't like the outcome of an election?

You don't think the attack on the Capitol is a symptom of a larger problem?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:03 pm

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
I watched the Colbert video. I think what Steve D'antuono is saying is perfectly reasonable, those folks were criminals. Colbert, however, suggests ANYONE and EVERYONE who so much as showed the slightest support for Trump at any point during his presidency is equally culpable. "MAGA people," he sounds unhinged.

You know, if some folks robbed a TD bank and stole several thousand dollars, they're most certainly criminals. To argue, however, that robbing a bank is going to completely and totally destroy the billion dollar corporation that is Toronto-Dominion is absurd. Furthermore, saying anyone who is critical of any TD policy is now sympathetic toward bank robbers and should be treated as a criminal is very scary. This seems to be what you and Colbert are advocating.

With the riots in American cities over the summer, there are clearly a large number of people who feel something is wrong and want their voices heard. Most of them are peaceful and not responsible for the criminal element that vandalized public and private property.

Same goes for Stonewall, same goes for the DC protests. To say ANYONE and EVERYONE other than the perpetrators should be demonized is troublesome. In principle, you may not agree with the politics of the ANTIFA folk, or the Capitol folk, or the Stonewall folk. But to say they're ALL criminals is appalling.

Imagine Johnny Carson going on TV after Stonewall and saying, "The sodomites are not only perverted, but they're ALL violent criminals with no respect for civil authority. Any and all who support the Stonewall terrorism or practice that alternate lifestyle are equally criminal terrorists, and we need even stricter sodomy laws. Lock 'em all up!"

This entire post is insane.

Your TD bank robber analogy is difficult to follow and thus doesn’t make sense.

Trump has been an awful human being since before he was elected. Idolizing him and his campaign’s white suprematism is bad. One can’t say “but not all klansmen are bad, some of us just wear white hoods and hang out with those that lynch black people.” No. Everyone who wears that hat and supports the klan is bad. Period.

Yes, people in the USA have the right to peaceful assembly & protest. A lot of progress has been made that way.

Stonewall & BLM were protests against police brutality and mistreatment of minorities. The DC insurrectionists were not protesting mistreatment by the police or society. Apples to oranges. They were trying to overthrow the US government on behalf of their cult leader, djt, who lied to them and told them the election was stolen from him by fraud & they believed his crazy nonsense despite their being Zero evidence of widespread voter fraud presented to any court in the country. It’s not the same thing to protest for human rights for black people or gays as it is to murder police because trump refuses to accept that he’s a loser & lost the election. Wtf?

Everyone who stormed the capitol building is a criminal. (That’s what you are when you commit crimes.) Just ask the FBI - who said so - and is laying criminal charges one by one as these criminals are identified.

Annnnd to conclude with, you go off on some wild tangent about criminalizing anal sex - which isn’t only enjoyed by homosexuals, btw. Difficult to take anything you have to say seriously when you’re so beyond ridiculous - BUT - go ahead, attempt to refute anything I’ve said. It’ll be good for a laugh. 8)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I've been surprised that none of his lovers have spoken up here since the riot took place. Where is still his support for him? Where are his white knights?  Are they too embarrassed to admit, "I was wrong and you were all right, he was a bad person and he really wanted to rule our country and I had no idea he was capable of this.  Everyone the media said about him and lawyers and doctors, everyone was right, I've been duped.  I'm so sorry for ever supporting and voting for him.  I had no idea that voting him into office would lead to this."
Good set-up ... but what is the punch line?
I don't understand.
Never mind.  I thought your were leading in to a joke.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:43 pm

Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I've been surprised that none of his lovers have spoken up here since the riot took place. Where is still his support for him? Where are his white knights?  Are they too embarrassed to admit, "I was wrong and you were all right, he was a bad person and he really wanted to rule our country and I had no idea he was capable of this.  Everyone the media said about him and lawyers and doctors, everyone was right, I've been duped.  I'm so sorry for ever supporting and voting for him.  I had no idea that voting him into office would lead to this."
Good set-up ... but what is the punch line?
I don't understand.
Never mind.  I thought your were leading in to a joke.

She’s being very literal atm.

Fnord was suggesting that trump supporters coming to the realization that they were wrong must be a joke because there’s very little chance diehard magas will ever have synapses fire in their brains that would allow them to make that connection - at least not yet, anyways. Even Michael Cohen said it took him a good decade to come to terms with the fact that he had been sort of enchanted by the spell of the donald & committed many stupid acts in his name. It truly is like mass Stockholm Syndrome from their cult leader for these people. They’re going to need time and professional help to come to terms with reality - IF they can..

Tempus Fugit
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 12:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I’ve seen some comments from some trump supporters online in disbelief that trump would align himself with an attack on the US government & now denounce their support for him. Seems like a reasonable line in the sand.

Just curious if violent insurrection at the direction of djt was finally crossing the line for any of you here?

There's like 20 people left on this forum.