Are black people genetically good at basketball

Page 1 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Jetso
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2021, 10:07 am

Are black people genetically good at basketball, asian people genetically good at martial arts, and white people genetically good at swimming? Some people have said this is the case.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:25 am

Do different races have different inborn aptitudes?

When someone with only 65 posts starts a thread about a sensitive topic like this...one tends to get suspicious that the person is trolling.

Just sayin.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 10:35 am

But to answer your question: yes about basketball.

People who are tall, and have long limbs, and a slender physiques do have an advantage in basketball. And humans of populations that have lived a long time in the tropics near the equator tend to have that kind of physique because that kind of physique is good for dissapating heat. And Black Africans have lived on the equator for a long time, thus they, and their descendants in America tend to have that build. So yes- DNA does contribute to Blacks dominating in basketball.

About the other two sports: I dont see how race per se contributes to those sports being dominated by particular races.

White dominate swimming because affluent nations, which tend to be majority White, have lots of swimming pools.

Asians invented martial arts. So its their culture, not thier DNA. American Whites, and American Blacks, often take to martial arts like fish to water.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:11 am

Mind you. You do have a point about different races being naturally tallented in different areas and if we can find these tallents in different peoples, and help them develop then everyone can be really blessed and help each other.

I will give a perfect example of this were things can work extremely well. The British people are generally excellent for dreaming up and inventing new ideas. They come out with prototypes and make them work.
The Chinese and Japanese are excellent at taking an idea or a product and they have endless patience and skill in their ability to make the product soo much better.
So when a model railway manufacturer 20 years ago decided to move their manufacturing to China, the first few years of doing this and I have never seen such amazing differences to the performance of the models, and the Chinese kept to the origional design but enhanced it and tweeked it up a little by spending more time on it.
Now unfortunately, in more recent years there was a drive for economy as the manufacturer hit hard times and so designs were altered to try and make them cheaper to manufacture with disastorus results. To add to this unskilled workers were employed who did not know that the mazak metal must not be contaminated with lead and other raw materials, and we have had perfect looking models where some batches have metal chassis blocks that start to fall apart sometimes a few years down the line and other times 20 years down the line... So this aspect has been a nightmare! BUT this is only a smaller negative aspect as if one finds a model based on an old British design but the Chinese have manufactured it, usually you have something amazingly good!
For years Hornby made these little 0-4-0 shunters in various forms. The same chassis design has been tweeked and tweeked by the Chinese and the new versions have stunning performance. The old ones ran ok as they are nice and simple things. While I do not expect the new ones to last quite as long as the old ones did as there was a small design compromize in that the new ones have much thinner lighter action pickups to improve running, pickups usually last for a while so over all the new ones are stunning, though I can't work out if I prefer the new ones or the old ones. They are actually identical... Though I do love the way the new ones have improved slow speed running... Though the old ones are going to be on the rails for longer. Uhmmm! :D

But what I am saying is, that when two or more people groups who are naturally tallented in specific areas get together, the results can be amazing!

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

14 Jan 2021, 11:19 am

I've never seen such a display of ignorance on this site before! What gave you the sense that posting this was a good idea?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:32 am

Donald Morton wrote:
I've never seen such a display of ignorance on this site before! What gave you the sense that posting this was a good idea?

What's ignorant about it? There is a clear difference in physical attributes between races. Black people are muscular and make excellent runners and are good at sports in general. Asians are smaller and I think martial arts fit with their culture and smaller stature.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:51 am

Racist people have said it's the case.

I can see how black (or white) people would be genetically better at basketball compared to Asians - basketball is all about height which puts short people at a disadvantage - but apart from that, it's nonsense.

It's cultural differences. Esp with stuff like martial arts: that's part of someone's culture. A white kid adopted by Asian parents in Asia would probably grow up good at it too.

Even when it comes to black runners, the countries which are good at running have a lot of poverty and a lot of mountains = people getting used to going long distances & over difficult terrain without cars = people learning to run fast and over long distances/difficult distances.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:52 am

Yeah this is kind of implicitly racist to even ask.

No. There is no genetic predisposition to be good at a sport or other physical activity. The qualities that are considered to give black basketball players an advantage--height and long limbs--were formerly considered liabilities. In the mid- and early 20th century, before NBA and college teams became more integrated, the opposite traits were considered beneficial. Being stocky meant you would be better balanced, less top-heavy, and able to more easily maneuver between opponents. These things are still beneficial--but that does not fit in with contemporary assumptions of what are desirable traits for basketball players. Being tall has advantages, being short has other advantages. It's not all about hitting 3's, dunking, and blocking shots.
'Asians' being predisposed to being better at martial arts is nonsense for reasons that should be self-explanatory. No one is born with an innate talent for a particular martial sport. If there are more talented korean taekwondo fighters than American, it's because it is more prevalent in the former culture--not in their genes.
A white man invented--and then white men were the main early players of--basketball, but few people would argue whites are predisposed to be better at it than non-whites. The same goes for baseball, soccer, football, etc.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 11:58 am

Are white people genetically predisposed to playing golf and running governments...

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:13 pm

Wait, have you not noticed after all these years that black sportsmen/women are absolute units compared to people from other races?

Black people dominate sports. It's not really that much of an extreme to assume that if genetics can influence skin colour and facial apperance, then perhaps it also has an impact of muscle and fat distribution. Professional sports people are the pick of the crop and for the general public the difference much not be that extreme between races but it's hard not to notice that for pro sports people, the difference appears obvious.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:18 pm

Nades wrote:
Wait, have you not noticed after all these years that black sportsmen/women are absolute units compared to people from other races?

Black people dominate sports. It's not really that much of an extreme to assume that if genetics can influence skin colour and facial apperance, then perhaps it also has an impact of muscle and fat distribution. Professional sports people are the pick of the crop and for the general public the difference much not be that extreme between races but it's hard not to notice that for pro sports people, the difference appears obvious.

But what appears obvious is not always the driver. Why aren't football teams in the UK black (or colored)? There are nations with colored rugby teams, but there are white rugby teams as well. The same can be said for cricket (OK, technically, cricket might not be a sport, but lets go with it). Does race determine game outcomes?

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:22 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:

But what appears obvious is not always the driver. Why aren't football teams in the UK black (or colored)? There are nations with colored rugby teams, but there are white rugby teams as well. The same can be said for cricket (OK, technically, cricket might not be a sport, but lets go with it). Does race determine game outcomes?

There are loads of black players in football teams both in the US and UK. I think small genetic differences equals very noticeable outcomes when you're specifically looking for the best of the best.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:26 pm

Nades wrote:
What's ignorant about it? There is a clear difference in physical attributes between races. Black people are muscular and make excellent runners and are good at sports in general. Asians are smaller

Only on average. There is much more genetic variation within "races" than between them, especially among blacks.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:27 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Are white people genetically predisposed to playing golf and running governments...

Spelt ruining wrong :lol:

(I'm white so I can say it)

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:29 pm

Nades wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:

There are loads of black players in football teams both in the US and UK. I think small genetic differences equals very noticeable outcomes when you're specifically looking for the best of the best.

But is race the driver of those genetic changes? Yes, winning the genetic lottery is important. But is it an individual difference or a collective one (i.e. based on race). Are the Koreans the best archers in the world because of their genetics or because of their training regime and large pool of athletes? The same can be said of the Japanese and Judo.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
Nades wrote:

Loads of footballers are black, what are you on about?