Are black people genetically good at basketball

Page 5 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 9:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many Africans from West Africa who were sent to the New World to be slaves—were not “genetically good at basketball.” The Wolof, for one, tend to be of average height and relatively stocky.”

The south Sudanese Dinka make good basketballers

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 11:42 pm

They’re from central East Africa. Very different ethnically from West Africans.

As different as Swedes and Greeks, at least.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 11:54 pm

Chinese people are very good at ping pong.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2021, 11:58 pm

Nixon’s diplomatic endeavors were called “ping pong” diplomacy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 1:52 am

Well this is embarrassing.

The reason European people are better swimmers than black people is because they carry more body fat which helps with buoyancy (like aquatic mammals which naturally have more fat). Black people have higher muscle/fat ratio which means they need to exert more energy when swimming.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28561485/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 3:34 am

Its not a crime to acknowledge that some ethnic groups have certain body differences that are dictated by genes that aid in particular sports.

Whites have more fat-to-muscle so that could aid in swimming, but hurt in...well...basketball.

But if you are really obsessed with the linking "race" to sports its virtually impossible to sift out environment/culture from actual gene based advantages a group of humans might have.

Further - most of the examples the OP used in his OP are absurd.

The fact that Chinese/Koreans/Japanese excel in martial arts is obviously due to the fact that marital arts were invented in that part of the world, and is part of that part of the world's culture, and not part of its genes.

If say....Finnish people were introduced to martial arts only in the 20th century, but suddenly Finland produced a huge number of martial arts champions- more per capita than Japan or China- then THAT would suggest some kind of genetic based affinity that Finns might have for martial arts.

Likewise- no subsaharan African culture had the game of basketball during the thousands of years of African history.

The game was invented by a 100 years ago by a White guy in New England. But African descent Americans excel at it. So thats an example of a "race" of people who did NOT invent a thing, but somehow are better at it than the "race" who DID invent it. That does suggest that Blacks may some gene based advantage in basketball.

Doesnt prove it. Theyre myriad other variables. If you live in an inner city slum its easier to find places to shoot hoops then it is to find wide open lawns to practice golf. So there could be other explanations- having to do with environment, income differences, etc. But it is less stupid to suggest that Blacks are genetically good at basketball then it is to suggest that "east asians are genetically better at martial arts".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 3:58 am

The scottish people invented golf and Europeans dominated the sport until a certain African-Thai dude dropped into the game and changed everything.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 4:44 am

cyberdad wrote:
The scottish people invented golf and Europeans dominated the sport until a certain African-Thai dude dropped into the game and changed everything.

Someone shoulda thought of that five pages ago. :lol:

This whole miserable thread would have put out it's misery at it's inception if someone had only responded to the original post by typing just two words:"Tiger", and "Woods". :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 4:50 am

Black people are also good at Irish dancing

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 5:01 am

Fnord wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
I haven't gotten to the posts that are complaining yet.  I am "swimming upstream" atm. :mrgreen:
You must have missed the posts in this thread that took some gruff to this thread. Especially when one complained in the WP.net board about this thread.
When discussing topics of Race v. Ability, it is not a bad thing to have the discussion more closely monitored for racism.

8O

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 5:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like we should learn from black history, and the histories of other ethnic groups.

We should acknowledge the suffering which racial "minorities" have gone through. I also acknowledge that discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity exist even today.

And over 50 years ago, if you were half German in Australia. 8)

kraftiekortie wrote:
However, I do not feel guilty for "being white." I am not a slaveowner, nor have I oppressed people who are not white. I don't believe in people feeling guilty for "not being Jewish."

I felt crushing guilt all my childhood for what happened to the 13 million in the concentration camps.
I was a stupid kid.
I am not a stupid kid any longer. 8)

One can shove collective white guilt up one's bot bot. :mrgreen:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 5:14 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

I'm guessing that is more cultural than genetics.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 5:19 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Someone shoulda thought of that five pages ago. :lol:

This whole miserable thread would have put out it's misery at it's inception if someone had only responded to the original post by typing just two words:"Tiger", and "Woods". :lol:

You may have missed it.
This thread is about objective intellectual freedoms of thought, and the insidious nature of weaponised political correctness. 8)

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 6:50 am

CockneyRebel wrote:

Americans are good at the sport of timed Hot Dog Eating.

Wieners: Joey “Jaws” Chestnut (pictured) ate 71 hot dogs in 10 minutes, Darron Breeden, who ate 50 franks in 10 minutes.
https://brooklynreporter.com/2019/07/jo ... 0-minutes/

Be the hero of your life.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 11:09 am

Pepe wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like we should learn from black history, and the histories of other ethnic groups.

We should acknowledge the suffering which racial "minorities" have gone through. I also acknowledge that discrimination on the basis of race and ethnicity exist even today.

And over 50 years ago, if you were half German in Australia. 8)

kraftiekortie wrote:
However, I do not feel guilty for "being white." I am not a slaveowner, nor have I oppressed people who are not white. I don't believe in people feeling guilty for "not being Jewish."

I felt crushing guilt all my childhood for what happened to the 13 million in the concentration camps.
I was a stupid kid.
I am not a stupid kid any longer. 8)

One can shove collective white guilt up one's bot bot. :mrgreen:

White guilt? Yeah, I think I might be having some issues with that. In my case, white guilt manifests itself as narcolepsy. Every time I think I need help for it, I asdjfkl;ae jiwoncdSZl

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2021, 2:04 pm

If you weren't the people doing the killing, or planning the killing, or enabling the killing in some way, or advocating these Nazi policies today, I don't blame you for the Holocaust.