What someone has said about abortion on another forum.

Page 3 of 11 [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 3:39 am

Shadow1888 wrote:
Every life is precious. Children don't ask to be here so that's on the person. If you can't handle the responsibility keep it in your trousers or keep your legs shut. Simple as that.

Hey, how about you keep your dick out of our vagina, problem solved.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 6:43 am

The "abortion is only allowed if the woman's life is in danger" -rule is pretty vague... I mean, pregnancy and birth giving always put a woman's life at risk. Always, so in theory, abortion should always be allowed according to that rule. That rule usually only looks at the woman's physical health, but what about mental health? What if the woman commits suicide because of the pregnancy? Back in the old days it was quite common for pregnant, unmarried women to kill themselves before anyone found out about the pregnancy. Of course, if the stigma that comes from getting pregnant outside of marriage/steady relationship was removed (and that too usually only affects the women btw... the men who cause the pregnancies should also get a stigma if the women do to... but the problem is that it's hard to prove which man is responsible), then that would lessen the risks on mental health of the pregnant women, but something like that doesn't happen during one or two generations, unless you made shaming unmarried pregnant women downright illegal and heavily punishable or something.

Anyway, my point is that I agree with the post quoted on the first page.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2021, 12:28 pm

There’s nothing wrong with abortion, as long as the person receiving the abortion consents.

The “if you don’t want kids then don’t have sex” attitude is silly. It suggests that children are a punishment for having sex. If someone accidentally gets pregnant, or deliberately gets pregnant and then changes their mind, they should not be condemned to keep carrying a zef they don’t want.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2021, 12:33 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
There’s nothing wrong with abortion, as long as the person receiving the abortion consents.

The “if you don’t want kids then don’t have sex” attitude is silly. It suggests that children are a punishment for having sex. If someone accidentally gets pregnant, or deliberately gets pregnant and then changes their mind, they should not be condemned to keep carrying a zef they don’t want.

With all the respect - sex produces babies and adults should be aware of that fact before engaging. Abortion should not be considered a replacement for properly applied contraception (like it used to be in Soviet Union).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:38 pm

theprisoner wrote:
I find it a ironic possibility that some who are adamantly pro-choice might not even exist today, if say, their mother or father decided they had made a mistake and decided to abort. Without that safeguard of that held value there's gonna be lot of dead babies (ya know they cant take care of themselves )piling up in the trash dumpsters (or wherever they dispatched). Its not unusual for parents to hate their fetus/child and find them an inconvenience. Just face it murder is murder. just because its a defenseless bag of protoplasm, its still a living thing you brought in to the world. I don't think people want to face that though. That's too much of inconvenient truth. a ugly reality t be swept under the carpet. their rigid ideology dictates for the moment that such things are not only excusable but good and proper. And they will reach for any justification they can to rationalize callously exterminating their own offspring. Disposable society. Disposable humans. Personally my parents loved me (and still love me) and are pro-life or otherwise i wouldn't be here, and i'm grateful that was the case.

Hmm I suppose I never would have known existence or had any awareness of such a thing, so it wouldn't have mattered any to me. Also the point of an abortion is to prevent the offspring, abortion and exterminating children is not the same thing.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:42 pm

magz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

With all the respect - sex produces babies and adults should be aware of that fact before engaging. Abortion should not be considered a replacement for properly applied contraception (like it used to be in Soviet Union).

But what gives people the idea that there is any significant amount of adults using abortion as a replacement for contraceptive methods? More likely it is a lot more common the method fails and some methods are more effective than others. Also sometimes even people who want a baby end up having abortions, if things go wrong.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:43 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Hmm I suppose I never would have known existence or had any awareness of such a thing...
It is a common scare tactic used by the adamantly anti-abortion crowd.  Pay it no mind.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:46 pm

The only 100% sure form of conception is abstinence -- an unrealistic goal, however.

And while children are not punishment for sex -- in spite of what some religionists may tell you -- many parents seem to treat them that way (I should know; I was one of those children).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:50 pm

Well...whether I like it or not...abortion is LEGAL at present time, so no woman who births a child can escape responsibility for that child. Once you HAVE a child, your choice in the matter is gone. Is that still controlling women?

No, I'm not a fan, and I don't believe that abortion as an individual right even holds up. Choices that lead to conception are within one's individual rights with the assumption of any consequences that might follow. Once you conceive a life, you are responsible for that life. That has nothing to do with controlling women, but with protecting life.

In the event a girl becomes pregnant through force, I see abortion as a matter of self-defense. But I still think there is responsibility for the newly-conceived life, so rapists should be held accountable for the death of aborted babies. And naturally I do think in the case of a baby directly threatening the mother's life, it remains a self-defense question. If there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to bring the baby to term and BOTH survive, I believe the woman has the right to make the call to terminate the baby and save herself and that she should feel no guilt whatsoever over that choice. It is certainly noble to put the baby's life ahead of your own, but no one should feel any sense of obligation to consider the needs of others ahead of their own when it's a matter of life and death. In every other situation of life, the right of one person to exist ALWAYS limits the rights of others to act as they please. The rights of the unborn should not be an exception.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

01 Feb 2021, 12:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
Rexi wrote:
My grandma's generation and a bit of my parents' was banned from abortion and contraceptives due to the Romanian communism regime.  Horrible horrible things happened as a result.  Many women died or ended in jail for performing abortions on themselves, the hospitals took mercy and performed abortions in secret sometimes.

Grandma sometimes tells me about an awful event, she went up on the hill near the woods and met up with a nurse or something and she bled profusely, it was all without any kind of anesthesia.  That person told her to never come to her again for help because she might die, she got scared.  Her young son supported her as she walked back home as she was very weakened.
I have also listened to the stories told by women of my grandparents' generation describing similar events in their lives and the lives of others.  These horrible things occur everywhere that women's reproductive control is taken from them, even in modern times.  There simply is no "moral" justification for the so-called "morality" that dictates a woman's body is not her own.

France has lame laws around abortions but for rape it is allowed. That be if you can prove you were raped

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2021, 12:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
magz wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

But what gives people the idea that there is any significant amount of adults using abortion as a replacement for contraceptive methods?
"If someone accidentally gets pregnant, or deliberately gets pregnant and then changes their mind" - that does not discourage risky behaviors.
In Soviet Russia, it really happened.
Quote:
By the mid-1920s, hospitals were so severely congested by abortion procedures that special clinics had to be opened to free up beds. The enormous rate of abortions being performed also caused many doctors to become concerned and restrictions started being passed to limit abortion after the third month of pregnancy and to ensure that priority was given only to women deemed too poor, single, or who already had several children. Only six months between a first abortion and a second abortion was permitted.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_ ... #1920-1936
That's why I strongly believe solid education on contraception and responsible ethics should go first.

Sweetleaf wrote:
More likely it is a lot more common the method fails and some methods are more effective than others. Also sometimes even people who want a baby end up having abortions, if things go wrong.
Don't get me wrong. I just believe sex is for adults and adults should be responsible for their actions. If they did the best they could but the situation went really wrong for uncontrollable reasons, that's another story.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 12:56 pm

Making the mother solely responsible for the well-being of her children while the father can freely abdicate his responsibility is a form of female enslavement.  Both parents should be held fully accountable.  Along with this, no person should be forced to raise a child that is not his or her own.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Feb 2021, 12:59 pm

Fnord wrote:
Making the mother solely responsible for the well-being of her children while the father can freely abdicate his responsibility is a form of female enslavement.  Both parents should be held fully accountable.  Along with this, no person should be forced to raise a child that is not his or her own.

How about a man giving the woman a "choice": abortion or it's your problem?
I've encountered that.

Shadow1888
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2021, 1:09 pm

And how about you go deal with your self esteem problems elswhere. And before you rant about being attacked you started it with your stupid comment. I was addressing my opinions but guess you can't do that here.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

Way I see it, I don't need to have a physical opinion on it beyond the rape scenario. I'm never going to get pregnant by choice and the whole thing fills me with revulsion tbh even the PIV sex thing (not judging anyone else just on a deeply personal level I don't want to get into here)...

But people who do get pregnant should be the ones making these choices. So in that way I'm pro choice.

I think like my mother said, when a baby gets to a certain size within the womb, it's very hard for the person carrying it to see it as anything other than a baby. Which doesn't mean not destroying it/killing it/aborting it, just means that any decision on that front is very difficult, will lead to a period of grieving and won't be undertaken lightly.

This is probably the reason why late-term abortions are illegal.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

Are children a "punishment for sex?" No, I don't think so. Well, maybe if your child is the spawn of Satan. That not only a punishment for the patents, but for the whole world.

Oscar Meyer Lansky