Page 2 of 53 [ 835 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Feb 2021, 10:34 am

But why "fight" "the Woke"?
We don't need more fighs, we need boundaries.
There are good ideas and there are poor ideas.
There is drive to adress real problems and there is drive to destruction.
We need to tell them apart, not put all into one bag and punch that bag.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 11:00 am

NightMuse wrote:
Dare I say that there is a lot less bigotry toward blacks than there is toward whites?

Think about it. Whose statues are being taken down, for instance? Martin Luther King, Jr.'s or Robert E. Lee's (who, by the way, was against slavery while the first slave owner in America was a black man. Read up on it.). This "woke" generation is being fed nothing but whitewashed history (ex. this "1619 Project". This thing is designed to do nothing but feed lies about how America was founded in order to make the younger generations hate the U.S.A. No, America isn't perfect. I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that you have all sorts of race hustlers out there keeping blacks down by perpetuating the victim status. They are trying to divide the races, and they're doing a pretty good job from what's been going on lately. Don't fall for it.

There are race hustlers, and the 1619 project is a toxic thing but more people do not hold their wallets or purses or cross the street when white people pass them by. The practice of steering in the real estate industry is widespread. Like any industry it is not about black or white but green. They know many of their white clients do not want to live with blacks.

That said this is not a contest. Do not think in terms of their racism is worse then mine. That is getting into a hierarchy of oppression which is a woke mindset.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 11:25 am

NightMuse wrote:
Dare I say that there is a lot less bigotry toward blacks than there is toward whites?

Think about it. Whose statues are being taken down, for instance? Martin Luther King, Jr.'s or Robert E. Lee's (who, by the way, was against slavery while the first slave owner in America was a black man. Read up on it.). This "woke" generation is being fed nothing but whitewashed history (ex. this "1619 Project". This thing is designed to do nothing but feed lies about how America was founded in order to make the younger generations hate the U.S.A. No, America isn't perfect. I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that you have all sorts of race hustlers out there keeping blacks down by perpetuating the victim status. They are trying to divide the races, and they're doing a pretty good job from what's been going on lately. Don't fall for it.

Whose statues were erected in the first place?

Who owned slaves? Who were the slaves?

Who's being shot in the streets?

Obviously there's not more racism towards whites than blacks.

I'm saying this as a white person btw.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 11:27 am

Still think there's nothing wrong with being woke.

It will take more than opinion pieces from Fox News to shift me in this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 11:59 am

I will never understand why being "Woke" must be "fought".

What is it about equal justice, equal rights, and equal treatment that makes being "Woke" such a threat?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 12:16 pm

Fnord wrote:

What is it about equal justice, equal rights, and equal treatment that makes being "Woke" such a threat?

White supremacy?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I will never understand why being "Woke" must be "fought".  What is it about equal justice, equal rights, and equal treatment that makes being "Woke" such a threat?
White supremacy?
Toxic White Male Supremacy, perhaps.  Women are targets of the Anti-Woke Crowd, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Feb 2021, 12:52 pm

We really shouldn't fight. We should identify problems and seek solutions that work.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

Any time free expression and exchange of ideas is threatened, we need to be vigilant. You can't just scream , "It's only bigots who are against it!" That's just not the truth.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 1:19 pm

Being against equal justice, equal rights, and equal treatment for someone because she or he is a woman and/or not white IS bigotry.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 1:44 pm

Fnord wrote:

If that is what it was about it would be a good thing. It is way more then that. As the saying goes it is about “throwing the baby out with the bath water” It is about overcorrection. It is about over censorship. It is about judging you as automatically privileged and racist because you were born white. It is about presentism, judging historical figures from our 2021 bubble, it is about destroying the idea that colorblindness is mostly a good thing. It is about no time for fun because that makes you the problem, an enabler of racism. It is letting bullying mobs decide what stays and what goes. It does not conflate with being progressive. We discussed earlier the difference between social justice activism and social justice warrior. The relationship between progressive beliefs and woke beliefs are somewhat similar.

Why is this bad? Why is not woke beliefs a needed correction to Trumpism and all that led up to it? Why not fight fire with fire and figure it out once Trumpism has been cancelled?
Trumpism is an existential threat to classical liberalism. It makes any other threat seem insignificant, wokes are not storming the Capital after all. Seem and are, two different things. They both aim to eat away and get rid of classical liberal beliefs or a least a lot of them. A lot of them are worth saving. Once they are gone they are not likely to come back. Woke ideology is very influential in the cooperate world and in entertainment, the Biden Administration feels the need to at least parrot their language. The first amendment will probably survive, so technically “freedom of speech” will still be there. But in practical terms it will be useless if we let woke thinking win.

Maybe I am wrong the and the wokes will go too far and cause a backlash. Nobody can cancel private thought. I have my doubts that will be a good thing. Trumpism was an overcorrection to political correctness. Competent overcorrection to woke domination, I shudder to think.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 1:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Fnord wrote:

If that is what it was about it would be a good thing. It is way more then that. As the saying goes it is about “throwing the baby out with the bath water” It is about overcorrection. It is about over censorship. It is about judging you as automatically privileged and racist because you were born white. It is about presentism, judging historical figures from our 2021 bubble, it is about destroying the idea that colorblindness is mostly a good thing. It is about no time for fun because that makes you the problem, an enabler of racism. It is letting bullying mobs decide what stays and what goes. It does not conflate with being progressive. We discussed earlier the difference between social justice activism and social justice warrior. The relationship between progressive beliefs and woke beliefs are somewhat similar.

Why is this bad? Why is not woke beliefs a needed correction to Trumpism and all that led up to it? Why not fight fire with fire and figure it out once Trumpism has been cancelled?
Trumpism is an existential threat to classical liberalism. It makes any other threat seem insignificant, wokes are not storming the Capital after all. Seem and are, two different things. They both aim to eat away and get rid of classical liberal beliefs or a least a lot of them. A lot of them are worth saving. Once they are gone they are not likely to come back. Woke ideology is very influential in the cooperate world and in entertainment, the Biden Administration feels the need to at least parrot their language. The first amendment will probably survive, so technically “freedom of speech” will still be there. But in practical terms it will be useless if we let woke thinking win.

Maybe I am wrong the and the wokes will go too far and cause a backlash. Nobody can cancel private thought. I have my doubts that will be a good thing. Trumpism was an overcorrection to political correctness. Competent overcorrection to woke domination, I shudder to think.

I agree completely.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 1:58 pm

If I read ASPartOfMe's argument correctly, the SJW/Woke movement is engaging in over-reach of purpose.

This is the same mistake that the Toxic White Male Movement is making.

Whichever side "wins" will likely have achieved a pyrrhic victory.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 2:48 pm

Face it, when you fight for anything, it is always goin to lead to a counter fight. Look at what happened when we declared independence from great Britain, we had to have a war. Or what about when we decided to end slavery? The civil war broke out.

When we have had civil rights movements eg. Black Lives Matter, it has led to counter movements like Blue Lives Matter or All Lives Matter. Then we had the Capital Hill Riot.

Guess who has won each time?

I can't think of any time when people tried to fight for equal rights and lost. My parents fought for me too growing up and guess who won? Them. There is no way I would have won if I was in this on my own and had no one advocating for me and if I had kept my mouth shut than complaining and whining about how I am treated different and whining about how I wish I were normal. I had a mouth, my parents had ears, they knew how to get help. They had money. They had privilege.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Feb 2021, 2:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I can't think of any time when people tried to fight for equal rights and lost.

The Bolsheviks.
I mean, they won, but it didn't result in equal rights.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2021, 3:04 pm

magz wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I can't think of any time when people tried to fight for equal rights and lost.
The Bolsheviks.  I mean, they won, but it didn't result in equal rights.
Then how about the Aleut, the Apache, the Arapaho, the Blackfeet, the Cherokee, the Cheyenne, the Chickasaw, the Chippewa, the Choctaw, the Colville, the Comanche, the Cree, the Creek, the Crow, the Delaware (Lenape), the Hopi, the Houma, the Inupiat, the Iroquois, the Kiowa, the Lumbee, the Menominee, the Navajo, the Osage, the Ottawa, the Paiute, the Pima, the Potawatomi, the Pueblo, the Puget Sound Salish, the Seminole, the Shoshone, the Sioux, the Tlingit-Haida, the Tohono O'odham, the Tsimshian, the Ute, the Yakama, the Yaqui, the Yuman, and the Yup'ik?