Page 2 of 27 [ 422 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,677
Location: Stendec

12 Feb 2021, 10:19 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
I do not think the political affiliation she referred to is much mystery. She was also supporting Q-anon, apparently was insulting to transgender people and making fun of people wearing their masks during the pandemic those things when put together make her look like a Trumper playing the victim.
It is amazing how quickly bullies will claim to be victims when they can no longer get away with victimizing others.


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2020
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 679

12 Feb 2021, 11:15 am

Hating people for their political beliefs is completely different from hating them for their ethnicity. According to her reasoning hating Nazis would be as bad as hating Jews. The absurdity of her argument should be self-evident.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,677
Location: Stendec

12 Feb 2021, 11:20 am

Udinaas wrote:
Hating people for their political beliefs is completely different from hating them for their ethnicity...
Not to an employer.  Expressing hatred for someone else's religion or political affiliation can legally get you just as fired as if you had expressed hatred for someone else's ethnicity, gender, or sex, even if you do so while "off the clock".


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


Last edited by Fnord on 12 Feb 2021, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,694
Location: Pacific Northwest

12 Feb 2021, 11:34 am

The fact she wrote that Jews were beaten in the street by neighbors than by Nazis, why did she write that and what was her intention? Was she trying to water down what happened to them and trivialize it and be a Nazi sympathizer? Why were the neighbors beating them in the streets in the first place?

In high school we learned there was propaganda and lies spread about Jewish people and people fell for it. Even propaganda films were made too about them. One of them was showed to me on youtube by an online friend and it was to justify what the Nazis were doing to them back then.


I have seen twisted logic like "A didn't kill B because C, D, E, and F did" when in fact A had hired C, D, E, and F to do the murder for A. Yes A did kill B and those who also killed B will also be charged with murder too but A will get a bigger sentence because A was the mastermind of the whole thing. This was basically what Gina Carano was doing.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,694
Location: Pacific Northwest

12 Feb 2021, 11:45 am

Fnord wrote:
Udinaas wrote:
Hating people for their political beliefs is completely different from hating them for their ethnicity...
Not to an employer.  Expressing hatred for someone else's religion or political affiliation can legally get you just as fired as if you had expressed hatred for someone else's ethnicity, gender, or sex, even if you do so while "off the clock".



Yes because they do not want that sort of person working for them and plus it makes their business look bad and reflects badly on them. This is all about their business image and their reputation. It's called capitalism. Funny how it can go against these crazy right wingers for their "freedom of speech" lol. How about they fight for socialism? Then they can still continue saying racist things lmao because they won't need to worry about needing to earn money if a basic house will just be handed to them but good luck with a limited life and a boring small house. They sure can't have it both ways.

This is where the term selfawarewolf comes in.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,677
Location: Stendec

12 Feb 2021, 11:52 am

League_Girl wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Udinaas wrote:
Hating people for their political beliefs is completely different from hating them for their ethnicity...
Not to an employer.  Expressing hatred for someone else's religion or political affiliation can legally get you just as fired as if you had expressed hatred for someone else's ethnicity, gender, or sex, even if you do so while "off the clock".
Yes, because they do not want that sort of person working for them, and plus it makes their business look bad and reflects badly on them.  This is all about their business image and their reputation.  It's called capitalism...
You might find that dismissal for expressing hatred not only occurs in "capitalist" businesses, but in "socialist" charities, as well.  Nobody wants a bad reputation; especially certain websites dedicated to people with autism spectrum disorders...


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,270

12 Feb 2021, 11:56 am

This is reports on what she said: Gina Carano fired from The Mandalorian after 'abhorrent' social media posts

Quote:
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.


But apparently other statements as well. From the same source:

Quote:
Carano had previously been at the centre of social media controversy, when she was accused of mocking people who state their preferred pronouns online, by placing the words “beep/bop/boop” on her Twitter profile, and had shared conspiracy theories in November about the result of the 2020 US presidential election. Carano also previously ridiculed the wearing of masks to protect against Covid-19.


I feel sorry for Carano. As a public figure and essentially a spokes person for not only herself, but also her projects, this type of speech is not going to create a lot of sympathy. I would not make public comments without careful consideration. You might be held accountable. Basically, it is called being professional.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,677
Location: Stendec

12 Feb 2021, 12:14 pm

↑ Holocaust denial, homophobia, scientophobia, AND conspiracy theories?

Why the hell did Disney ever hire her in the first place?!


_________________
*TRE45ON!!*
Lock Him Up!


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,694
Location: Pacific Northwest

12 Feb 2021, 12:27 pm

Quote:
How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.


I think quote was the problem. She thinks hating Jews is the same as hating someone for their political view?

When you make these comparisons, people will get offended like how LGBT people get offended when conservatives try to compare themselves to being gay or when crazy ABDLs have tried to compare their fetish to being gay or trans to justify doing it in public and wanting everyone to treat them as a child or toddler.

I have even seen conservatives compare themselves to Jewish people being pushed into a ghetto for their political beliefs and I was like "wow, just wow." They really think it was that bad they are dealing with now? I can see Jewish people taking offense at this as well.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


NaturalEntity
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2021
Age: 16
Gender: Female
Posts: 856
Location: UK

12 Feb 2021, 12:36 pm

They could have at least toned the response down. But at the same time anti-Semitism is unacceptable and must be punished. Maybe not this harshly though...


_________________
Hans Asperger himself called autism a natural entity
Opinion polls coming to WP in 2022!


Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,270

12 Feb 2021, 1:44 pm

NaturalEntity wrote:
But at the same time anti-Semitism is unacceptable and must be punished.


But that is not what is happening. Disney has made a business decision not to employ a professional actor because that actor, who is a defacto representative of that organization, used their public platform to propagate ideas that do not coincide with the company's values. They are not punishing her. She can still say these things. She can still find employment somewhere else. The problem is her unprofessional conduct cost her her job. I am truly sorry for her.



Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Sep 2020
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 679

12 Feb 2021, 2:06 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:
How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.


I think quote was the problem. She thinks hating Jews is the same as hating someone for their political view?

When you make these comparisons, people will get offended like how LGBT people get offended when conservatives try to compare themselves to being gay or when crazy ABDLs have tried to compare their fetish to being gay or trans to justify doing it in public and wanting everyone to treat them as a child or toddler.

I have even seen conservatives compare themselves to Jewish people being pushed into a ghetto for their political beliefs and I was like "wow, just wow." They really think it was that bad they are dealing with now? I can see Jewish people taking offense at this as well.

That was my point.



OutsideView
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 4 Oct 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 498
Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

12 Feb 2021, 2:21 pm

Quote:
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.

Sorry for being a bit dense but could someone please explain why is this quote bad?


_________________
Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here, walk alone.


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,694
Location: Pacific Northwest

12 Feb 2021, 2:34 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Quote:
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.

Sorry for being a bit dense but could someone please explain why is this quote bad?



Because she was trivializing how bad it was for the Jews. She thinks being judged based on your political views is as bad as hating on Jewish people. That was very offensive.


_________________
Son: Diagnosed w/anxiety and ADHD. Also academic delayed.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.


Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 21 Jul 2020
Age: 56
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,270

12 Feb 2021, 2:35 pm

OutsideView wrote:
Quote:
Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbours … even by children … Because history is edited, most people today don’t realise that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbours hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.

Sorry for being a bit dense but could someone please explain why is this quote bad?


Six million Jews were systemically murdered by the state because of their religion. She is saying that being a conservative in the US today is the same thing. Equating the injustice faced by the Jews in NAZI Germany to the environment faced by US conservative is stupid and marginalizes the experience of the Jews at the hands of the NAZIs. US conservative are not having their rights systemically stripped, their belongs and property confiscated, and put in concentration camps to be murdered. That also implies that that US liberals are attempting to do that.

I agree it is a really stupid and ignorant argument. But you would expect a professional to behave better.



OutsideView
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 4 Oct 2017
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 498
Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

12 Feb 2021, 2:59 pm

League_Girl wrote:
...

Jiheisho wrote:
...

Thanks, that makes sense. I read it as meaning it could be the start of people being treated that way again rather than saying it is currently the same.


_________________
Silence lies steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House. And we who walk here, walk alone.