Page 2 of 13 [ 196 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 6:03 pm

Abbott is afraid that if we regulate anything or use anything remotely resembling common sense, or connect to a larger grid, then Texas will “become California”.

What does Abbott think is the worst thing plaguing Texans? Unsolicited dick pics.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 7:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Odd thing ... the GOP in Texas is blaming "Green Energy" when it is the transmission lines that have failed.  Green Energy comprises only about 13% of Texas' power generation systems.  The rest are based on fossil fuels.

Wind power now supplies about a quarter of Texas’s electricity, more than double the figure five years ago.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm

Where's that global warming when you need it. /sarcasm

I spent the weekend de-icing satellite dishes at work. The only reason I didn't freeze solid myself is because I was drenched head to toe in the antifreeze I was spraying.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 8:21 pm

Disaster is an overused word, not in this case.

In 1973 we had an Ice storm where we lost power for three days and the house temperature dropped to 37F, no fun. Unlike us, in the Northeast these people are not remotely used to cold like that. Temperatures have been running up 50 degrees below average which is just insane. There are going to a lot of uninhabitable residences going forward because pipes have got to be bursting all over the place.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2021, 9:08 pm

Maybe if enough Texans are asleep in the dark and wake up to find that someone broke into their house and stole all their guns, they’ll vote Abbott out.

I guarantee that neither Andrew Cuomo nor Gavin Newsom would let this happen.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 12:47 am

I hope the weather in Texas improves soon. That's one of the major downfalls of solar and renewable energy.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 6:52 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
I guarantee that neither Andrew Cuomo nor Gavin Newsom would let this happen.

Andrew Cuomo placed Coronavirus infected people back into the nursing homes and massively spread the contagion. He then hid the nursing home deaths. Gavin Newsom is being impeached in California. California has it's own electrical power problems. They allowed their main electrical power company to be sued into bankruptcy. And now the shell of that company is very risk adverse and anytime another forest fire materializes, they will shut down the power grid to millions of Californian in an abundance of caution.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:10 am

There is an interesting article on the power outage in Texas in USA Today.
'Massive failure': Why are millions in Texas in the dark amid rolling blackouts, winter weather?

Representatives from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), said there are 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts are wind (33%) and 30,000 are gas and coal (66%). Between two and three million customers were without power as of early Tuesday evening.

"The reality is very, very large. 30-50% of capacity in parts of Texas went down," he said. "You're not out 5 to 10% of the power." ERCOT also said it was implementing rolling blackouts on Monday to "to protect the electric grid from uncontrolled, cascading outages."

---------------------------------

A decade ago, my region was struck by several tornadoes. I lost power for several days. When power was finally restored, we had a few weeks of rolling blackouts. The power typically came on at around 2AM and went off at around 3AM. Here is the secret to rolling blackouts. You must be prepared. Plan on what you will do when the power comes on and maximize its use.

For example, we turned all the lights on in the house and the moment we had electricity, our house lit up like a Christmas tree. So even though we were sound asleep in the dead of night, we woke up. Then we managed to cook a hot meal, take a bath, wash our clothes, watch a little television and get on the Internet, recharge our cell phone batteries all in the space of an hours time. We planned for it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 7:18 am

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 9:39 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/texas-wind-turbines-frozen/amp/

https://www.politifact.com/article/2021/feb/16/natural-gas-not-wind-turbines-main-driver-texas-po/

Never waste an opportunity for Republican politicians to lie to protect financial interests of doners. Good luck Texas.

Iowa has extreme weather every winter and we don't have blackouts. We're 30% wind powered.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 9:41 am

I am surprised that Texans were unprepared for this crisis.

I guess prepping for a liberal uprising was much more important.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 11:50 am

jimmy m wrote:
There is an interesting article on the power outage in Texas in USA Today.
'Massive failure': Why are millions in Texas in the dark amid rolling blackouts, winter weather?

Representatives from the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), said there are 45,000 megawatts offline. Of that, 15,000 megawatts are wind (33%) and 30,000 are gas and coal (66%). Between two and three million customers were without power as of early Tuesday evening.

"The reality is very, very large. 30-50% of capacity in parts of Texas went down," he said. "You're not out 5 to 10% of the power." ERCOT also said it was implementing rolling blackouts on Monday to "to protect the electric grid from uncontrolled, cascading outages."

---------------------------------

A decade ago, my region was struck by several tornadoes. I lost power for several days. When power was finally restored, we had a few weeks of rolling blackouts. The power typically came on at around 2AM and went off at around 3AM. Here is the secret to rolling blackouts. You must be prepared. Plan on what you will do when the power comes on and maximize its use.

For example, we turned all the lights on in the house and the moment we had electricity, our house lit up like a Christmas tree. So even though we were sound asleep in the dead of night, we woke up. Then we managed to cook a hot meal, take a bath, wash our clothes, watch a little television and get on the Internet, recharge our cell phone batteries all in the space of an hours time. We planned for it.

Texas produces more power than any other state. Here's why it went dark anyway
Quote:
Even mighty Texas, the energy powerhouse of America, is feeling the wrath of Mother Nature.

A deep freeze this week in the Lone Star state, which relies on electricity to heat many homes, is causing power demand to skyrocket. At the same time, natural gas, coal, wind and nuclear facilities in Texas have been knocked offline by the unthinkably low temperatures.

This situation could have wide-reaching implications as the US power industry attempts to slash carbon emissions in response to the climate crisis.

That nightmarish supply-demand situation has sent electricity prices in energy-rich Texas to skyrocket more than 10,000% compared with before the unprecedented temperatures hit. Texas has been hit with life-threatening blackouts. More than 4 million people in the state were without power early Tuesday.

In response, Governor Greg Abbott has called for an investigation into the nonprofit Electric Reliability Council of Texas, known as ERCOT, which controls most of the state's grid. The group's CEO on Tuesday defended the controlled outages, saying they "kept the grid from collapsing" and sending the state into a complete blackout.

Although some are attempting to pin the blame on one fuel source or another, the reality is that the Arctic temperatures are hobbling fossil fuels and renewable energy alike.

"The extreme cold is causing the entire system to freeze up," said Jason Bordoff, a former energy official in the Obama administration and director of Columbia University's Center on Global Energy Policy. "All sources of energy are underperforming in the extreme cold because they're not designed to handle these unusual conditions."

The ripple effects are being felt around the nation as Texas' prolific oil-and-gas industry stumbles.

Motiva's sprawling Port Arthur oil refinery, the largest in the United States, shut down Monday, citing "unprecedented freezing temperatures."

Countless drillers went offline as temperatures in the Permian Basin, the nation's fracking capital, plunged below zero. The supply shortfall helped send US oil prices above $60 a barrel for the first time since January 2020.
Prices at the pump are also on the rise.

It's striking that these power outages are happening in a state with abundant energy resources. Texas produces more electricity than any other US state — generating almost twice as much as Florida, the next-closest, according to federal statistics.

But the problem is that not only is Texas an energy superpower, it tends to be an above-average temperature state. That means its infrastructure is ill-prepared for the cold spell currently wreaking havoc.

Critics of renewable energy have pointed out that wind turbines have frozen or needed to be shut down due to the extreme weather.

And that is significant because almost a quarter (23%) of the power in Texas last year was generated by wind power, according to ERCOT.

Even though other places with colder weather (like Iowa and Denmark) rely on wind for even larger shares of power, experts said the turbines in Texas were not winterized for the unexpected freeze. Cold weather protection like antifreeze and heating elements within the turbine blades and components are not commonly used in Texas.
"That adds cost, so it is cheaper to not have those additional features," said Jesse Jenkins, an assistant professor at Princeton University who studies energy systems and policy.

But this is not just about wind turbines going down. Natural gas and coal-fired power plants need water to stay online. Yet those water facilities froze in the cold temperatures and others lost access to the electricity they require to operate.

Nuclear also depends on water to operate and at least one unit in South Texas shut down, according to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission. Texas gets about 11% of its power from nuclear.

"Even if Texas did not have wind power, you would still have power prices going to the moon," said Matthew Hoza, manager of energy analysis at BTU Analytics.

The problem, according to Hoza, is that a lot of companies in Texas did not invest in cold protection for power plants and natural gas facilities.

"When you're in West Texas, are you really going to spend money on that equipment?" Hoza said.

The energy crisis in Texas raises also questions about the nature of the state's deregulated and decentralized electric grid. Unlike other states, Texas has made a conscious decision to isolate its grid from the rest of the country.

That means that when things are running smoothly, Texas can't export excess power to neighboring states. And in the current crisis, it can't import power either.

"When it comes to electricity, what happens in Texas stays in Texas," Cohan said. "That has really come back to bite us."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 12:12 pm

What is happening in Texas is a combination of 2 things:

1) Equipment not designed to handle cold weather. The operators of various electric generating devices (solar farms, windmills, coal and natural gas plants, and nuclear plants) did not want to pay extra for equipment to allow the plants to operate in the extreme cold. This causes the equipment to go down at just the time demand skyrocketed.

2) Most of Texas is an electrical grid island. To avoid federal regulation, most of Texas (outside of the extreme eastern part of the state and the panhandle) are not connected to any other state. In the Upper Midwest for example, The Dakotas, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, and maybe even Illinois are all connected to the same power gird. That means that if some power generation goes down in one of those states, the other states can help pick up the slack. That could not be done in most of Texas.

This means that the only thing to do at this point is roving blackouts to conserve power.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 12:18 pm

demeus wrote:
... This means that the only thing to do at this point is roving blackouts to conserve power.
Yeah ... just like California!

:lol: How ironic!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 1:52 pm

Dear Gov. Abbott:

Please connect to the Western Connector Grid ASAP, even though big bad scary California is on there as well. Or connect to the Eastern Connector Grid, even though big bad scary New York is on there as well.

Also, repeal the anti-dick pic law.

Sincerely,

Tim

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2021, 6:07 pm

The Wall Street Journal described the cause of the blackout as follows:

Why are millions of Americans in the nation’s most energy-rich state without power and heat for days amid extreme winter weather? “The people who have fallen short with regard to the power are the private power generation companies,” Texas Gov. Greg Abbott explained. Ah, yes, blame private power companies . . . that are regulated by government.

The Republican sounds like California’s Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom, who lambasted private utilities for rolling blackouts during a heat wave last summer. Power grids should be able to withstand extreme weather. But in both these bellwether states, state and federal energy policies have created market distortions and reduced grid reliability.

Mr. Abbott blamed his state’s extensive power outages on generators freezing early Monday morning, noting “this includes the natural gas & coal generators.” But frigid temperatures and icy conditions have descended on most of the country. Why couldn’t Texas handle them while other states did?

The problem is Texas’s overreliance on wind power that has left the grid more vulnerable to bad weather. Half of wind turbines froze last week, causing wind’s share of electricity to plunge to 8% from 42%. Power prices in the wholesale market spiked, and grid regulators on Friday warned of rolling blackouts. Natural gas and coal generators ramped up to cover the supply gap but couldn’t meet the surging demand for electricity—which half of households rely on for heating—even as many families powered up their gas furnaces. Then some gas wells and pipelines froze.

In short, there wasn’t sufficient baseload power from coal and nuclear to support the grid. Baseload power is needed to stabilize grid frequency amid changes in demand and supply. When there’s not enough baseload power, the grid gets unbalanced and power sources can fail. The more the grid relies on intermittent renewables like wind and solar, the more baseload power is needed to back them up.

But politicians don’t care about grid reliability until the power goes out. And for three decades politicians from both parties have pushed subsidies for renewables that have made the grid less stable.

Source: The Political Making of a Texas Power Outage