White privilege isn't real - Jordan Peterson

Page 7 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 6:23 am

Pepe wrote:

Peterson gave the example of how, in the Chinese community in china, being white wouldn't usually be an advantage.
Can anyone genuinely disagree with that statement?
Wouldn't that suggest there would be 'Asian supremacy' issues in that scenario?

I caused a car accident and traffic jam in Shanghai, because two taxi drivers were so eager to have me as their client, they didn't pay attention to each other.
Chinese people took pictures of themselves with me.
They were very polite, unlike in India, where they did the same thing, but didn't ask.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 7:23 am

ironpony wrote:
Well another thing is, is that I find this white privilege thing kind of hard to believe. There are a lot of white people I know that are not poor, and not well off, and a lot of rich celebrities that are not white. So it seems like it's all really a case by case basis and not a generalized thing, or am I wrong?

This a population based issue, not an individual one. All things being equal, if you are white, your outcomes will be better than if you are another race or ethnicity. It does not mean a Black person can't be rich or a white poor, it means if you are white, you have an edge.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 7:31 am

Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
White people certainly have advantages over minorities when all other factors are equal.

But if we compare a disabled white person to an able non-white person, or a queer white person to a heterosexual non-white person; we'd find that both possess certain privileges the other does not.

And surely no rational person actually believes that a homeless white person has more privileges than a non-white middle class person.

I think what goes wrong in many conversations about privilege is many people don't understand the difference between demographics and individuals.

Peterson gave the example of how, in the Chinese community in china, being white wouldn't usually be an advantage.

For starters, I think his point is, logically speaking, that 'privilege' may not only be something pertaining to Caucasians, but that is how it is portrayed.
Once again, we have a 'binary' that is being created where it is not justified.
This seems to be a tactic of the left, btw.

So, ultimately, the concept of white privilege is null and void, in an absolute sense, at least.

Yes, you remove something from its context, then the thing does not exist. Take matter away from the universe and you will not find gravity (but yet gravity is still a thing). Brilliant argument. Congratulation, you just invented Buddhism.

Would you agree, that in China, there would be Asian privilege?

No, because Asian is more than Chinese.

But what does that have to do with your premise that white privilege does not exist? The evidence shows otherwise.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2021, 10:37 am

ironpony wrote:
If this is true though, then why do people in the US complain about white privilege, if other races have their privileges all over the world. Doesn't it all even out then, and therefore why complain about white privilege, when it all evens out all over the world?

If there's a colony on Mars where black people are dominant, does that make life any different for a black guy being killed by the police for no good reason in the US? Does that make it right?

I'm starting to wonder if you're actually serious here.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 11:44 am

shlaifu wrote:
Pepe wrote:

I caused a car accident and traffic jam in Shanghai, because two taxi drivers were so eager to have me as their client, they didn't pay attention to each other.
They were very polite, unlike in India, where they did the same thing, but didn't ask.

So, you are saying that you would have been given preferential treatment had you been applying for a job?

I think a lot of the fuss is about the belief that Caucasians are wealthy.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 11:48 am

Jiheisho wrote:
ironpony wrote:
Well another thing is, is that I find this white privilege thing kind of hard to believe. There are a lot of white people I know that are not poor, and not well off, and a lot of rich celebrities that are not white. So it seems like it's all really a case by case basis and not a generalized thing, or am I wrong?

This a population based issue, not an individual one. All things being equal, if you are white, your outcomes will be better than if you are another race or ethnicity. It does not mean a Black person can't be rich or a white poor, it means if you are white, you have an edge.

Here in Australia, there are some situations where, if you have Aboriginal heritage, you get preferential treatment.
It isn't carte blanche.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 11:56 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
White people certainly have advantages over minorities when all other factors are equal.

But if we compare a disabled white person to an able non-white person, or a queer white person to a heterosexual non-white person; we'd find that both possess certain privileges the other does not.

And surely no rational person actually believes that a homeless white person has more privileges than a non-white middle class person.

I think what goes wrong in many conversations about privilege is many people don't understand the difference between demographics and individuals.

For starters, I think his point is, logically speaking, that 'privilege' may not only be something pertaining to Caucasians, but that is how it is portrayed.

So, ultimately, the concept of white privilege is null and void, in an absolute sense, at least.

Yes, you remove something from its context, then the thing does not exist. Take matter away from the universe and you will not find gravity (but yet gravity is still a thing). Brilliant argument. Congratulation, you just invented Buddhism.

But what does that have to do with your premise that white privilege does not exist? The evidence shows otherwise.

Why do you jump to the conclusion I don't believe 'white privilege' doesn't exist?
Did you miss what I said here?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=394624&start=80#p8723881
And here?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=394624&start=80#p8723738

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 12:04 pm

Pepe wrote:

I don't think the term was originally meant to be understood the way current SJW culture uses it.

Jiheisho wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
A lot of this is the fault of the people who coined a concept and term defined based on how one is born.

But not the fault of people who could simply look up the definition?

Do you think the SJW mobs demanding that impoverished and disabled white people "check their privilege" bothered to look up the definition?

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2021, 1:18 pm

toadsnail wrote:
ironpony wrote:
If this is true though, then why do people in the US complain about white privilege, if other races have their privileges all over the world. Doesn't it all even out then, and therefore why complain about white privilege, when it all evens out all over the world?

If there's a colony on Mars where black people are dominant, does that make life any different for a black guy being killed by the police for no good reason in the US? Does that make it right?

I'm starting to wonder if you're actually serious here.

Ironpony has asked a perfectly good question.

Toadsnail, it is disingenuous for your side of this debate to appeal to individual incidents like “a black guy being killed by the police”, because this thread has clearly demonstrated that if anyone else talks about incidents that contradict your narrative (such as white guys being killed by the police or white people living in poverty), your side claims those incidents don’t matter, and that whites in the US still have the privilege simply by virtue of the fact that it was whites who founded the country. What’s more, people who moan about “white privilege” do not restrict their complaints to police brutality, they also complain about things like how there are too many white people in their history books or on their television sets, or petty complaints about how white people don’t get their names mispronounced as often as non-whites, and so on.

Hence the question: if it is “privilege” to merely have one group of people who make up the majority of faces in a society’s history books or television programs, then what is abnormal or intrinsically wrong about privilege, since other groups will have their privileges all over the world?

By the way, you don’t need to look to Mars to find a place where black people are dominant. You can just look at every country in Sub-Saharan Africa.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 1:55 pm

Well when it comes to movie entertainment for example, about people saying there are too many white people in the movies, is it black people who are wanting more, or other races as well?

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 2:21 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
Pepe wrote:
dorkseid wrote:

Why do you jump to the conclusion I don't believe 'white privilege' doesn't exist?
Did you miss what I said here?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=394624&start=80#p8723881
And here?
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=394624&start=80#p8723738

Sorry, but if you look at what I quoted you stating that white privilege is doesn't exist because it is a contextual term and you call it a ideological idea of the left. But its relativity does not make it any less real. As far as your political bent, I am a social scientist, it is not a political or ideological concept (although it is used as one on both sides of the political spectrum, but unlike the right, the left does not deny it). Just like the basics of market economics is not a political or ideological concept, but people make it so. Not everything has to do with the right/left cultures wars. Why do you keep making it one?

Naturally, I am also certain you didn't started this thread because you disagree with Peterson.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2021, 2:26 pm

slam_thunderhide wrote:

I'm sorry, but he did not. It's not a matter of total points on some kind of global scoreboard. It's about the way how life is affected for real people in real places in real contexts.

Quote:
Toadsnail, it is disingenuous for your side of this debate to appeal to individual incidents like “a black guy being killed by the police”, because this thread has clearly demonstrated that if anyone else talks about incidents that contradict your narrative (such as white guys being killed by the police or white people living in poverty), your side claims those incidents don’t matter

That's besides the point. I've seen reports of white people falling into abject poverty in today's South Africa and receiving absolutely no help from the government, and, on the contrary, being actively discriminated against (those cases are relatively rare, simply by virtue of inherited money and social connections from the Apartheid era, but it seems to be a growing phenomenon). Does the fact that whites usually have the advantage change the fact that those social policies in South Africa may have gone too far? Absolutely not.

My point is that things must be taken in their own context. Context is everything. If you really think that's disingenuous, then no conversation is possible.

Also:
Quote:
Toadsnail, it is disingenuous for your side of this debate to appeal to individual incidents like “a black guy being killed by the police”, because this thread has clearly demonstrated that if anyone else talks about incidents that contradict your narrative (such as white guys being killed by the police or white people living in poverty), your side claims those incidents don’t matter

Don't do that. Just don't. I do not represent those people you're referring to and they do not represent me. I do not have sympathy for them.

Quote:
What’s more, people who moan about “white privilege” do not restrict their complaints to police brutality, they also complain about things like how there are too many white people in their history books or on their television sets, or petty complaints about how white people don’t get their names mispronounced as often as non-whites, and so on.

That's an entirely different issue from whether privilege exists or not. See this previous post of mine:

viewtopic.php?t=387968&p=8717157#p8717157

Quote:
By the way, you don’t need to look to Mars to find a place where black people are dominant. You can just look at every country in Sub-Saharan Africa.

I've done that (see previous posts in this thread). But apparently it wasn't enough to explain the obvious. Hence my suspicion that bad faith might be at play here.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2021, 2:32 pm

@Pepe

You have to admit that, at the very least, you're a bit too aggressive at playing devil's advocate.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 2:45 pm

toadsnail wrote:
slam_thunderhide wrote:

I'm sorry, but he did not. It's not a matter of total points on some kind of global scoreboard. It's about the way how life is affected for real people in real places in real contexts.

But I thought I was talking about real people, in real places, in real contexts. In the entertainment industry for example, a lot of people complain about white privilege. But it seems that in a lot of parts of the world, there are no white privilege in the entertainment industry. I watch a movies from India, and a lot of movies from Hong Kong, and South Korea, since they are too of my favorite industries. I have never seen white actors in any of those movies I watch, for example.

So it all seems to even out all over the world. And those are real movies, with real people in them.

Last edited by Cornflake on 21 Feb 2021, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.: Fixed broken quoting

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2021, 2:53 pm

ironpony wrote:
But I thought I was talking about real people, in real places, in real contexts. In the entertainment industry for example, a lot of people complain about white privilege. But it seems that in a lot of parts of the world, there are no white privilege in the entertainment industry. I watch a movies from India, and a lot of movies from Hong Kong, and South Korea, since they are too of my favorite industries. I have never seen white actors in any of those movies I watch, for example.

So it all seems to even out all over the world. And those are real movies, with real people in them.

Okay I see how it is then... It's official. Thanks for the confirmation.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2021, 3:11 pm

Pepe wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Pepe wrote:

So, you are saying that you would have been given preferential treatment had you been applying for a job?

I think a lot of the fuss is about the belief that Caucasians are wealthy.

I didn't try working in China, because I don't speak the language, but I was in India for work at an Indian company. The Skype interview before getting the job, which was well paid, took about 20 minutes (admittedly, I had the necessary education, but there's a bunch of people who have that), they paid for travel expenses, I had a housekeeper and at tourist attractions, I was singled out and led to the secret side entrance that would allow me to jump the queue. At the bank, there would be a guy standing in line for me while I was waiting, seated. Cars were stopping for me so I could cross the street.
I didn't like it. The people there were treating humans according to a strict hierarchy and were making jokes about how the colour of the skin you were born with determines your life. I tried not to treat people according to the colour of their skin and be friendly and polite and it upset people in the middle of the skin-shade-hierarchy.