White privilege isn't real - Jordan Peterson

Page 4 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 12:38 pm

It is funny people are even taking Peterson's position seriously. White privilege is real and measurable. This is not even a question in social sciences (IRL, I am a social science analyst). The data simply show it. Ironically, rhetorical musings by a white guy on a stage is not going to change it (but it might support the concept of white fragility). It that is really odd. If his hypothesis is true, there is plenty of public data he could use to show it. So why doesn't Peterson back up his assertions with evidence? Naturally, it is easier to simply talk...

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 1:26 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
Okay then, why don't live that life?

I take the path of least resistance (mostly).

However, I realize such an attitude can be detrimental.

You can't just take the path of least resistance, but then turn around and tell people who don't access to that path that they should be grateful because "adversity is good for the soul" or some such nonsense. It hypocritical.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 1:55 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
It is funny people are even taking Peterson's position seriously.  White privilege is real and measurable.  This is not even a question in social sciences (IRL, I am a social science analyst).  The data simply show it.  Ironically, rhetorical musings by a white guy on a stage is not going to change it (but it might support the concept of white fragility).  It that is really odd.  If his hypothesis is true, there is plenty of public data he could use to show it.  So why doesn't Peterson back up his assertions with evidence?  Naturally, it is easier to simply talk...
At least we are finding out who the racists are.

(Hint: They are also fans of Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh, and Gina Carano.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 7:40 pm

dorkseid wrote:
White people certainly have advantages over minorities when all other factors are equal.

But if we compare a disabled white person to an able non-white person, or a queer white person to a heterosexual non-white person; we'd find that both possess certain privileges the other does not.

And surely no rational person actually believes that a homeless white person has more privileges than a non-white middle class person.

I think what goes wrong in many conversations about privilege is many people don't understand the difference between demographics and individuals.

A lot of this is the fault of the people who coined a concept and term defined based on how one is born.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 7:49 pm

shlaifu wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
shlaifu wrote:
Pepe wrote:
I think this destroys your credibility, in regard to being objective, towards Jorden Peterson.

I think Jungian psychology embraces diversity whereas JP overlays/injects his conservative values into his ideas and theories.

Jung's writing is about as open to interpretation as any other religious text.
It's not like you can test anything he says through experiment. Peterson is free to project his conservative values into it, because it doesn't have any fixed meaning.
Oh, yeah, Peterson is pretty postmodern in his method.

Agreed

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 7:50 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
dorkseid wrote:
White people certainly have advantages over minorities when all other factors are equal.

But if we compare a disabled white person to an able non-white person, or a queer white person to a heterosexual non-white person; we'd find that both possess certain privileges the other does not.

And surely no rational person actually believes that a homeless white person has more privileges than a non-white middle class person.

I think what goes wrong in many conversations about privilege is many people don't understand the difference between demographics and individuals.

A lot of this is the fault of the people who coined a concept and term defined based on how one is born.

But not the fault of people who could simply look up the definition?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 7:53 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jiheisho wrote:
It is funny people are even taking Peterson's position seriously.  White privilege is real and measurable.  This is not even a question in social sciences (IRL, I am a social science analyst).  The data simply show it.  Ironically, rhetorical musings by a white guy on a stage is not going to change it (but it might support the concept of white fragility).  It that is really odd.  If his hypothesis is true, there is plenty of public data he could use to show it.  So why doesn't Peterson back up his assertions with evidence?  Naturally, it is easier to simply talk...
At least we are finding out who the racists are.

(Hint: They are also fans of Donald Trump, Rush Limbaugh, and Gina Carano.)

Do you think they are able to competently masquerade their underlying prejudice under the guise of psychosocial theory (Like JP) or their right to freedom of speech (like Trump, Limbaugh or Carano)?

I am most curious if JP has breached his ethical code why the Canadian Psychological association has not disbarred him or why the University of Toronto has not terminated his tenure?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:00 pm

Does white privelege exist all over the world, or are we just talking about the US? For example do white people get more privilege in a country like say Japan, or Ethiopia for random example?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:02 pm

ironpony wrote:
Does white privelege exist all over the world, or are we just talking about the US? For example do white people get more privilege in a country like say Japan, or Ethiopia for random example?

It's a hangover from the colonial era which ended in the 1950s.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:06 pm

ironpony wrote:

Right, it is contextual. The term white privilege is generally reserved for white dominated cultures. Having lived in Japan, obviously whites don't represent the dominant culture. But discrimination based on race and ethnicity does exist.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:09 pm

Well what I don't understand is, how come the US is constantly criticized for being white privilege, but other countries are not criticized for being dominant cultured? Like Japan or China are not criticized for being Asian privileged, or countries in Africa are not criticized for being African privileged... Why are people only bothered when the US does it, unless I am wrong?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:10 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well what I don't understand is, how come the US is constantly criticized for being white privilege, but other countries are not criticized for being dominant cultured?

"Eurocentric" cultures

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:11 pm

Jiheisho wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Right, it is contextual. The term white privilege is generally reserved for white dominated cultures. Having lived in Japan, obviously whites don't represent the dominant culture. But discrimination based on race and ethnicity does exist.

Japan has certainly internalised white supremacy....do you watch anime?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:12 pm

Yeah I watch anime. But I was talking more about actual white people having privilege there, and not fictional characters of course.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:16 pm

ironpony wrote:
Yeah I watch anime. But I was talking more about actual white people having privilege there, and not fictional characters of course.

Japan has native-privilege not white-privilege but to a Japanese mind white > non-Japanese so they are allies

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2021, 8:17 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well what I don't understand is, how come the US is constantly criticized for being white privilege, but other countries are not criticized for being dominant cultured? Like Japan or China are not criticized for being Asian privileged, or countries in Africa are not criticized for being African privileged... Why are people only bothered when the US does it, unless I am wrong?

Because the US is not just its white population. The US has a long history of abuse from the white dominant culture.

However, your assumption that no one has a similar criticism in other nations is simply not true. There are groups in Japan that have a history of discrimination from the dominant culture as well as in China and India. How long have you studied the issues in those countries? It seems you are simply assuming without actually doing some investigation.