White privilege isn't real - Jordan Peterson

Page 13 of 20 [ 316 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 20  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 9:29 pm

There are certainly segregated neighborhoods in cities across the US. There is the tendency for white (and other non-black and non-Hispanic ethnic groups) to live, in general, in better areas than black or Hispanic people. There is still the tendency, at times, to actively keep "minorities" out of certain neighborhoods---though this happens with somewhat less frequency than it did two generations ago.

There are some white people who live in "bad" neighborhoods----but not as commonly as nonwhite people.

Many white people live in poverty in rural areas, though. Usually in wooden shacks or trailers. Especially in the South or in Appalachia. But elsewhere, too. There are predominantly white counties which are amongst the poorest counties in the US.

Wheeler County, in Georgia, is considered the poorest county in the United States. The population is 65% white and 33% black.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 9:39 pm

Oh okay, but when you say that there is a tendency to keep the minorities out, how is this done though? Who keeps them out and how?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 9:59 pm

One way is by refusing to approve their mortgage applications.

Another is by steering them towards other neighborhoods.

There are many subtle and not-so-subtle methods used.

There remains the sense that “minority” presence in neighborhoods “lowers property values.”

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:11 pm

But doesn't this happen to white people too though? I'm white and I've been turned down for mortgage and steered to other alternatives.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:24 pm

As far as I'm concerned, white privilege is as real as it was in the 1960s. It's very real.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:33 pm

The standards for mortgage acceptance might be much higher for blacks than for whites.

A black applicant might require a 800 FICO score, say. And a white applicant a 720.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:40 pm

Oh that's interesting. I would like to find out more about that.

Well I thought that as far white people treating black people differently because they are a different race, I thought that the same thing happens the other way around though too, and thought that it all evens out.

For example, I had a conversation with a white American once, and he said that he went to a majority black school, while growing up, and that he was bullied by the other kids for being white, all the time.

So I thought that it goes both ways, and evens out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:41 pm

Blacks can be racist against whites, too.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 10:45 pm

Yeah so I thought it all evens out since there is no white privilege in places like an majority black school or area for example. I thought it all depends on the area, and that it all evens out.

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2021, 11:04 pm

ironpony wrote:
[...] and that it all evens out.

...It doesn't. That's not how it works. Stop fixating on that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 11:19 pm

It doesn’t even out.

It’s getting better, but not better enough.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 11:28 pm

I'm just putting this out there to see what people's thoughts are. Please don't crucify me.

Imagine that a white man (let's call him John) applied for a certain job. John found out that the company he applied at wants to increase the diversity among their staff, and because of that they are considering women and minorities first for this position.

Now I understand that there's a bigger picture of the imbalance of wealth and power that favors white men, and that efforts to include more women and minorities in key positions is necessary.

But from the perspective of John as an individual, he does not benefit anything because other white men who are not him have good jobs. He worked hard to complete his degree and build his resume. Is he or is he not, on some level, justified if he feels that it isn't fair that he isn't given equal consideration because of his sex and/or race?

toadsnail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2021, 11:42 pm

dorkseid wrote:
Is he or is he not, on some level, justified if he feels that it isn't fair that he isn't given equal consideration because of his sex and/or race?

I think he's totally justified if he feels it's unfair, because it is. It's a tradeoff, definitely. Is his misfortune and potential dissatisfaction worth the (expected) benefit in improved relations and improved average socioeconomic outcomes? It depends. That always has to be a major consideration.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 11:46 pm

I don’t like Affirmative Action and quotas....and can’t wait until they’re not necessary.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2021, 11:58 pm

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2021, 12:29 am

toadsnail wrote:
I think there's no better example of what I'm talking about than Machado de Assis (19th-century writer). He's widely regarded as the greatest Brazilian writer ever, he was literally friends with the emperor (yep, Brazil had an "emperor" back then, it's kinda weird), and he literally founded the regulating body that officially defines what counts as standard Brazilian Portuguese. Everyone learns about him in school. Everyone knows his name. But I had no idea he was "half-black" (two of his grandparents were freed slaves) until I read about it on Wikipedia. If you have the right connections, your race just kinda disappears.

Interesting, he seems to be well known in Brasil but I have to admit not hearing about him before. Brasil does have white privilege when it comes to land ownership right?